Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2011 9:37:46 AM EDT
Everyone says a glass of red wine is good for your heart. I know nothing about wine.
What's the difference in a Pinot and a merlot?
What's a good wine to start with?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#1]
i drink costa rosa for fun.it tastes good.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Easy to find & good to drink: Ravenswood Vinter's Blends.  Cab & Zin are both very good for the price.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#3]
the wife unit likes menage a trois

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I like Los Cardos Malbec, however wine is a very personal thing. I could explain the differences but it frankly makes a lot more sense for you to TASTE them.

Go find a store that offers mixed case discounts (more common then you think) and buy a case of various 6-10 dollar bottles of different reds. The only real advice I'll give is to avoid wines with both very flashy/fancy labels, and wines with very plain labels.

Its a very rough measure, but in my years working in a liqour store selling wine I did notice that the flashy labels were used to hide a plain product, and the shitty labels were just a sign of not caring. Its a sign of the winemakers business ethic and mentality, the best buys always had a label that showed that the guy cared about how his wine was presented but not to the point where he was trying to sell it on that merit alone.

Then once you have a bunch of different wines, drink them and if possible just make some basic notes to yourself about how much you liked it and what did you individually taste in it.

You will figure out your tastes soon enough.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer California Alexander Valley cabernets.
Clos du Bois Alexander Valley Cabernet is a nice wine that's not to expensive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Consider the box wines.  It is the cheapest way to purchase wine, and the wine keeps well after opening, as it is not exposed to air.

Now some wine snobs look down their nose at the box wines, but there are some out there that taste quite decent.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I discovered this wine called Apothic Red and I think it's pretty good. $8/bottle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]
My suggestion is to go buy a few sub $15 bottles and take notes on what you like. Then you will have some information on what kinds you like and we can go from there.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I like merlots and it's my go to red,  pinot (noirs) to me vary a bit dry wise from label to label.

You want inexpensive table wine, try the italian jug wines, get a couple of the smaller jugs and see what you like.  My "spagetti" wine is Chianti in a jug.  My BIL who is italian likes the sweeter lambruscos.  (to me they're like welches grape juice).   Anyways if you're drinking a glass or two a night for your heart or cholesterol level then it doesn't hurt to try the stuff that comes in gallon jugs at reasonable prices.  

Price really doesn't matter in wines or liquors, how it hits your tastebuds is what's important so don't get hung up on fancy labels, brands, and price stickers.  (Now I'm not saying Boon Farm is good but you get the idea.  Up here people get all hung up on the local "wineries" and the local labels.  Frankly they're all kind of new at it and they suck and are too sweet, so if you find you don't like it, just don't buy it again.)  

Another good way to get into wines is to just go to a decent store that has wine tastings.  Much better to taste free wine if you find you don't like it.    I also have a relationship with the store owner.  I'll ask his opinion.  Last year I was looking for a nice white wine to go with thanksgiving and asked his recommendation.  He thought for about 15 seconds and walked over and got me a bottle of Clos du Bois Chardonnay.   We all loved it, best damn Chardonnay I've had and I don't often buy whites.  I bought the same for this Thanksgiving.  The point is I probably would have never lucked into it without asking.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#10]
for a table wine we drink
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Stag's Leap

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#12]
There are lots of decent $10-15 wines. just buy a random case and see what you like. there are LOTS of 90pt wines in that range.

If you want to have a glass or two at night, I *highly* suggest buying an Aerator, it will make the glass taste better instantly.

I typically will use an aerator, pour half a bottle into a decanter and recork (With nitrogen) the rest of the bottle.

Also, toss the bottle of wine in the fridge for 45 or so minutes to chill it a bit, it will help bring it to "room temperature" which is suggested at ~55degrees
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Got a Trader Joe's nearby? Their 3 Buck Chuck (your price may vary...) is actually pretty decent.

As far as Pinot Noir...which is one of my favorites...something from Oregon. Willamette Valley stuff...

Zinfandels...look for Old Vine Zin stuff from the Lodi region.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#14]
You really need to go and taste test them to find what You like.

Everyone is different.

I personally prefer a Sweet Red wine

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#15]
MOGEN DAVID
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My suggestion is to go buy a few sub $15 bottles and take notes on what you like. Then you will have some information on what kinds you like and we can go from there.  

This.

Everyone's tastes are different.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok so I went to the store and told them I was looking for a red wine to drink for my health.
They suggested Barefoot Pinot Noir and Frontera Cocha Y Tora melot. I think I like the melot better.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Lot's of good suggestions here.

My .02: Ten years ago, I didn't like reds at all. Now I prefer the most robust reds I can lay my hands on.
I suggest trying a "weaker" red like Beaujolais and then work your way up to stronger reds like Merlot, Cabernet, Old vine Zin and Malbec.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I see no French wines listed here, so I get to throw my .02 around.

Coudoulet de Beaucastel.

Its a Cotes-du-Rhone (1 of 5 regions of France) and is one of my favorites.

Any red Cotes-du-Rhone is excellent.

If you can't find one, I'd try to find a Marquis Phillips 'Sarah's Blend'. Its a blended wine from Australia, and it was pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Cabernet's are best, Merlot is for the weak :P , malbec is good at times.

Root1 cab
Silver Palm
The Show
Liberty School
Coppola
Apothic Red
Big Ass Cab

All cheap but good
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I see no French wines listed here

Au contraire mon fraire...
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Consider the box wines.  It is the cheapest way to purchase wine, and the wine keeps well after opening, as it is not exposed to air.

Now some wine snobs look down their nose at the box wines, but
there are some out there that taste quite decent.

My wife and I drink both box wine and bottle wine. You can Prolly locate some tasings in you area too. They can be very informative.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Goats-Do-Roam
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#24]

This is an excellent choice... thought I am a California Zinfandel or Cabernet sort of sipper.

Go to a wine tasting education event, take notes and don't be afraid to try anything... you will be surprised.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Vin Ordinaire or Dom. Romane Conti

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ok so I went to the store and told them I was looking for a red wine to drink for my health.

They suggested Barefoot Pinot Noir and Frontera Cocha Y Tora melot. I think I like the melot better.

I'm a big fan of Merlot myself.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#27]

The ones with corks are a pain in the ass, get something with a screw off top

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Personally, I would recomend starting with a "red table wine" from a reputable winery.  Instead of being a variatel, the winery is mixing red grapes to gwet a flavor the vinteneer wants.  NOT jug wine or box wine.  This will be in nice bottles of "red table wine".  Premium varietals gets expensive if you drink a lot of them.  But start with Merlot if you do.

These are examples, not recommendations (although these are the kind of things I might buy a bottle of to try):

That is what the Three Buck Chuck recommendation above is too.

Do not start with California Foothills Zinfindels.  That is like starting drinking scitch by buying a bottle of Unless you LIKE a gritty feel on your teeth.  

DO NOT GET SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS:

or this

ETA:

OK, if we are giving him those kind of suggestions I really like Cakebread Cabernet Sauvignon
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A lot of the better wines now come with a screw top.  They preserve the wine better and reduce spoilage due to bad cork.  Cork is a natural product, hard to work with on a bottling line and responsible for up to 10% loss of product to spoilage called 'corking'.  There's a reason why the waiter pours you a partial glass and shows you the cork on a freshly opened bottle.  If the wine tastes off, or smells like musty cardboard then a bad cork is typically the culprit.  You can then send It back.

On a red recommendation, I really like red blends of the Rhone varietals.  They're called that because they are of the type of grapes typically grown in the Rhone region of France.  Syrah, Counoise, Viognier, Grenache, Mourvedre, etc.  One of my favorite inexpensive Rhone varietal type wines comes from South Africa and is called Goats Do Roam (a play on Cotes du Rhone).  Typically  found for $9-10.  It is excellent.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Las Roca

Evodia

etc..
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Merlot is pretty standard in taste as it's ubiquitous but pinot can vary a bit I've found.  I've had great pinot and lousy pinot.  If in doubt it's easier to just go with a merlot.  Blackstone makes a good merlot.  Oh, and don't rule out cabernet.  Sterling cabernet is damn good.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Mondavi or Smoking Loon...Cab or merlot.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of the better wines now come with a screw top.  They preserve the wine better and reduce spoilage due to bad cork.  Cork is a natural product, hard to work with on a bottling line and responsible for up to 10% loss of product to spoilage called 'corking'.  There's a reason why the waiter pours you a partial glass and shows you the cork on a freshly opened bottle.  If the wine tastes off, or smells like musty cardboard then a bad cork is typically the culprit.  You can then send It back.

It really has to do with the cost of switching machines. Any company starting in the last 10 years will have had the option to buy screw tops instead of corks.

The guys with corks are not in the mood to chance machines and vendors just yet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mondavi or Smoking Loon...Cab or merlot.

Come on man, you are up there and not pushing Red Diamond?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Yellowtail Shiraz

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really has to do with the cost of switching machines. Any company starting in the last 10 years will have had the option to buy screw tops instead of corks.

The guys with corks are not in the mood to chance machines and vendors just yet.

Nothing wrong with the synthetic corks either.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yellowtail Shiraz

100% Wood Juice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Ecco Domani Merlot is pretty good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I like this sparkling wine:

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably that factored in too.  From a guy who was familiar with setting up bottling lines, cork can be a PITA.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably that factored in too.  From a guy who was familiar with setting up bottling lines, cork can be a PITA.

So, you were a cork soaker or you knew some cork soakers?

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Everyone says a glass of red wine is good for your heart. I know nothing about wine.

What's the difference in a Pinot and a merlot?

What's a good wine to start with?

BV makes a fine Merlot and Cabernet.  Reasonably priced, always delicious.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Cabernet's are best, Merlot is for the weak :P , malbec is good at times.

Root1 cab

Silver Palm

The Show

Liberty School

Coppola

Apothic Red

Big Ass Cab

All cheap but good

Overpriced swill.

Your entire selection and taste is now in question.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Little Penguin.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I like full bodied, semi spicy wines. I love layer cake shiraz.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I've always been partial to a nice Chianti...

http://nationwideblast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tumblr_locxgstJg41qebtcj.gif
Bonus points for anyone who knows why I also like "a nice, big Amarone."

GD, you're slipping.  

ETA:  You also let this go (if no one gets to it while I'm editing):
Quoted:
i drink costa rosa for fun.it tastes good.

Stand by for serious answer in edit.
ETA:
OP, the best thing to do is to start trying different kinds and see what basic types you like––white or red (ok, ok, you're question is about reds, but I'm just trying to help), dry or sweet...but bear in mind that just because you do or don't like the first couple of white wines or Merlots, etc you try, may not mean that you like or dislike all white wines, Merlots, etc.  After you start getting an idea what you usually like (Bordeaux, for example), start trying others of that same type/region/varietal and branch out into similar wines (you may also find that your taste begins to change after a while).  You may want to keep a notebook.

You'll also probably want to do a little reading with one of the many introductory books available, although reading about wine is like reading about music (worse yet, you might not perceive the same things an author describes in a wine).  Or at least start with a semi-randomly selected internet link.  It's no place to be ending, but somewhere to start.  No need to ask:
http://www.wineandleisure.com/wine101full.html  (see glossary)
http://www.wine-tastings-guide.com/wine-varietals.html  (see descriptions of Pinot Noir and Merlot for an answer to one of your questions)

Based on your question, I might deduce that you don't have a friend who can help, so just try to find a wine tasting, or jump in with a couple different bottles recommended at a decent wine store, or ask the sommelier at a decent restaurant if there's one available.  After a while, you'll be able to describe what you do and don't like, and your purveyor can make an informed recommendation.

Bear in mind that asking a bunch of other people what they like is a lot like asking us what sidearm you should carry without specifying situation, budget, etc.  Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself (not that there isn't some good advice in this thread).

Good luck and enjoy trying the wines.  I hope you either found something helpful or amusing here.  
Now...who's interested in a nice, rare vintage cask of amontillado?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#47]
WalMart has a nice Sweet Red for $3.09.

And no, it really doesn't suck.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I've always liked Kendal Jackson, but it costs.  OTOH, you really can't really go wrong with Barefoot cab or merlot.  The price is relatively cheap & it's actually a good wine.  I don't know how they manage to price it so competitively, but it's better than some higher-end brands I've tried.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#50]
This used to be good  

And cheap
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top