BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Nice smokepoles.

I like the hunting frock that your fusil is resting on. Material and dye?
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a BP rifle somewhere I picked up at a gun store that was going out of business.  I've never shot it.  I barely have time to shoot my centerfires and rimfires.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nice smokepoles.  

I don't remember the fabric (osnaburg maybe, not sure) fairly course not sure on green as I got it used (lot of hand stiching around cuffs and neckline), the hunters shirt was done my be with black wallnut hull dye.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#9]
A friend of mine made this:  
(of course he is one of the most respected gunmakers in the country)

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Great thread.  I have a T/C .50 Hawken flintlock that I built from a kit when I was a teenager in the late 70's.  Shot it a few times and it was a blast.  But the guy my mom was dating/longtime family friend who helped me build it and took me out to shoot it had all of the black powder, balls, patches, accessories etc. departed and I don't have anything else, but the rifle and ramrod, but thats it.  I'd like to get it out and shoot it, but looking for a way to acquire the basics as well as revisit the safe steps to fire it.  Where/how should I start?
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Great thread.  I have a T/C .50 Hawken flintlock that I built from a kit when I was a teenager in the late 70's.  Shot it a few times and it was a blast.  But the guy my mom was dating/longtime family friend who helped me build it and took me out to shoot it had all of the black powder, balls, patches, accessories etc.  I have the rifle and ramrod, but thats it.  I'd like to get it out and shoot it, but looking for a way to acquire the basics as well as revisit the safe steps to fire it.  Where/how should I start?

There's sort of an arfcom for blackpowder:

Muzzleloading Forum

It helped me a lot when I got into it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Whats everyones opinion on the lyman great plains rifle kit? I see they are about $400. Is it something that the average person can assemble and finish? I want a winter project, and always wanted to get into flintlocks.

Also, whats a good website to order supplies from?

The Lyman GPR is a very good rifle. The "experts" who really care about period correctness say it is much closer to an original Hawken mountain rifle than the TC Hawken. Either will be good for hunting and for fun.
Like someone else here said the kit is mostly complete except for finishing it. If I were going with a kit I would look into browning the metal instead of bluing.

Track of the Wolf and The Possible shop are 2 good places for supplies.
The muzzleloading Forum as others have mentioned is an excellant source of info for muzzleloaders. I would suggest starting there before buying anything. There are some subtle differences in what should be simple things- like flints. I used to think flint was flint. After being on that site for a while I bought some white flints from Rich Pierce. Eddie Mays sells cast round balls, and that site will tell you how to cast your own if that is something you want to get into.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice smokepoles.  

I don't remember the fabric (osnaburg maybe, not sure) fairly course not sure on green as I got it used (lot of hand stiching around cuffs and neckline), the hunters shirt was done my be with black wallnut hull dye.

Thanks. The brown looks like it would really disappear in the woods.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Great thread.  some gorgeous guns.

They should give traditional their own season or move inlines to rifle season.  I think PA does that don't they?
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#16]
My CVA Accura V2 inline 50 cal is pretty cool. Kicks like a mule with magnum loads though.

-ZA
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Great thread.  some gorgeous guns.

They should give traditional their own season or move inlines to rifle season.  I think PA does that don't they?

Yeah, they really need to break it up, the woods are packed in December.

Sorry, hunting numbers are waning, and so is muzzleloading, or at least traditional by the looks of the catalogs.
I can't really support doing something that could potentially work to reduce those numbers just so a select group can feel special about themselves.
I see few enough folks out bow hunting when the weather is nice, I have a hard time believing a lot more folks are tying things up when the weather worsens in December.

If anything, they need to expand the muzzleloading season in MI. For all they're doing to cut down on the herd, you'd think they could do that.

Anyways, that's the point of view of a bitter former muzzleloading hunter. The private land I used to hunt got gobbled up, and the short season in December makes it challenging to get away to hunt public land somewhere. And before anyone says it, I hunt with a Hawken. I appreciate that inlines are easier to shoot well, but a Hawken is easier to keep running.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are we going for an old/modern contrast? Then let's get real old.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:17:10 AM EDT
[#20]

What is that?  Some type of spear?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I never thought of it like that. A spear you don't have to throw.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#22]

OP, as for muzzleloading becoming less popular keep in mind that it didn't get really popular until, I believe, the '60s and '70s. Before that it was more of a curiosity among a very few.
It may be on the decline again now but it's up to us older guys to introduce young people to the sport. A few years ago I took a TC Hawken I had scrounged to the range. After a few shots I noticed most of the junior rifle team at my club was behind me watching. I invited them to shoot it, loaded it and let 'em have at it. They all loved the thing. I think I went almost through a pound of powder and all the round balls I had with me, but I think at least half of the dads were talking about having to find a ML for their kids, and for them.
I think the Boy Scouts also have a shooting program using muzzleloaders.

It's up to us to keep it popular. Nobody else is going to do it for us.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#23]
A bunch of my extended family got into flintlocks when PA started the primitive rifle season.  A few even used their hawkens during regular rifle season.  A lot of them are gone now or too old to hunt now.  I like modern firearms too.  Before I leave the range its always fun to fire a shot or two of BP and smoke everyone out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#24]
If you are into BP an Muzzleloaders, you should look into the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association.  They hold 3 National Shoots each year, 2 in Friendship, IN and 1 in Phoenix, AZ.   Thousands of shooters on the line, a Commercial Row where you can buy goods, and they sell BP on the grounds.  $40 a year to join, and you get a monthly magazine called Muzzle Blasts.  They do classes in Friendship, IN including one on artillery.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Is there a caliber that can reliably take deer and small game? Or do I need a 50 and a 32? I was thinking 40 would be ok for deer, but maybe not. Where I would hunt with it, all shots would less than 50 yards.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I took the hawken out yesterday to make sure it was still sighted in. It wasn't, and it turns out, I only had 7 balls left. Ran out of bullets before it was zeroed. Ordered a mold when I got home, as I'm not sure if I can find round ball locally, they seem to be geared towards the inline shooters around here.

I've got a few pounds of plumbers lead ingots waiting to thrown in the pot.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is there a caliber that can reliably take deer and small game? Or do I need a 50 and a 32? I was thinking 40 would be ok for deer, but maybe not. Where I would hunt with it, all shots would less than 50 yards.

.40 is too small to reliably take deer unless you had a perfect broadside shot.
.50 is just big enough and .54 caliber is very good for deer.
A .40 is good for small game but most people just download their .50 or .54.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 3:47:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the advice. I'm still on the hunt for a decent starter flinter so if someone comes across one, keep this guy in mind
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top