Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/7/2012 5:32:18 AM EDT
My wife wants a North Face jacket for Christmas.  Seems like it's just an overpriced jacket with a brand name on it to me.  Either way, it's what she wants, and she puts up with me.  Can anyone recommend a reliable website that has good prices on North Face gear?

Yes, I mentioned my wife and there are no pics, deal with it or chip in on a jacket.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Seems like it's just an overpriced jacket with a brand name on it to me.

You are correct.

Solution is to trade wife for someone who at least likes Arcteryx more.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:34:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct.

Too much time invested in this one.

Arcteryx does not look to cost much less.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
shop online like dick's or even northface. i like their stuff.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct.

But it's tactical!  

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Monitor Steep and Cheap for good deals.   Also check out Sierra Trading.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had good luck here

Their sale area has last year's and a couple years before "models", but who cares? Good prices, they ship quickly.

I got my NF fleece for well less than $100 from there. Got my wife a Mtn HW one for less than $90.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I was a climber/mountaineer before I got into guns. I have a number of North Face clothing items that have lasted years longer than lower priced 'generic" items. But, I never paid full price for anything. I hit close-outs so it didn't hurt near as much. I would check out Campmor. They might have it.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368538

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:41:03 AM EDT
[#9]
check backcountry.com
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Try Moosejaw.  They typically have "last season" jackets, for half-off.  For instance, here is the "standard" TNF jacket, some colors 55% off retail.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#13]
If your wife is small you can get a girls xlarge and save some $$. Check out moose jaw.com
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Best I have found so far is 0% off.  She wants an Apex Bionic in pink.

Any other similar jackets I should look at?
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:50:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Depending on where you are at in KY there is an North Face outlet store in Cincinnati.
ETA:

Cincinnati Premium Outlets

400 Premium Outlets Drive, Monroe, OH

<nobr>(513) 539-0710</nobr>
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Just tell her to crank up the oven, should keep her warm while she's making your sammiches.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just tell her to crank up the oven, should keep her warm while she's making your sammiches.  

She's warm in the kitchen, it's when she's shoveling the driveway she gets cold.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I just bought some TNF outerwear for my daughter for her straight A report card (Bragging, I know!).  You can usually do pretty well (30-40% off) if you look for a closeout on last year's colors, which often are indistinguishable from this year's color, unless you are a dealer.

In the end, i just went to REI so she could try it on--at least I get the end of year rebate...
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:57:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://images.thenorthface.com/is/image/TheNorthFace/790x790/women-39-s-apex-bionic-jacket-AMVX_A3M_hero.jpg

If she wants that one, just bite the bullet. That's a 2012 jacket so I doubt you will find it any cheaper than $149.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:59:05 AM EDT
[#20]
While North Face is expensive the clothes aren't just Walmart quality clothes branded with an expensive name.  Even clothes from Bass Pro and Cabala's pale in comparison.  Cabela's fleece jacket lets the wind blow straight through and you freeze.  North Face blocks the wind somehow and you stay warm.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:59:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Depending on where you are at in KY there is an North Face outlet store in Cincinnati.
ETA:

400 Premium Outlets Drive, Monroe, OH

<nobr>(513) 539-0710</nobr>

forgot about that place, it is nice - took the wife there last year and she spent 6 hours shopping. never again!!!

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's warm in the kitchen, it's when she's shoveling the driveway she gets cold.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Steep and Cheap is advertising today, Fri. the 7th as Just Jackets Day so ...

http://www.steepandcheap.com

Gloves showing right now.   Items change many times as time periods expire or sell out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Check out Sierra Trading Post, Campmor and Cabelas.....
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Steep and Cheap is advertising today, Fri. the 7th as Just Jackets Day so ...

http://www.steepandcheap.com

Gloves showing right now.   Items change many times as time periods expire or sell out.

Just loaded the Chrome extension.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Be grateful she's only wanting that trendy NF logo...my wife saw a Spyder jacket she likes. Holy fucking shit, $235 for a soft-shell.

Thankfully, she liked the Merrell one we found at TJ Maxx for $39 on clearance.

BTW, North Face stuff is very soon to be worth a lot less. We went to a flea market this summer and saw counterfeit NF stuff there. When a brand gets popular enough, and costs enough to make counterfeiting widespread the brand is about to be devalued and the "it factor" of those items a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#27]
You can get them for about 20-40 bucks US here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had lucky encounters at Cabelas in store shopping on both TNF and Spyder jackets.  It took digging through the racks, but I found a cold weather jacket similiar to this one, just a bit longer on the torso, for $90.  Marked down from $300.  Same with two Spyder jackets I found.

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/TNF/TNF3608/FIGGN.jpg

ETA:  Forgot to mention looking for a Burlington Coat Factory.  I haven't shopped there but I hear from friends that good deals can often be found there on name brands.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

BTW, North Face stuff is very soon to be worth a lot less. We went to a flea market this summer and saw counterfeit NF stuff there. When a brand gets popular enough, and costs enough to make counterfeiting widespread the brand is about to be devalued and the "it factor" of those items a thing of the past.

I was told there was a place near home that sold NF jackets for CHEAP.  I have not been there yet, but I suspect they are counterfeit as well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:21:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I have had good luck with Steapand cheap. You have to wait a while but good stuff does pop up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#31]
$148 is going to be as good as it get's on that one. It may get cheaper after Christmas, but you may not find color or size.
It's your wife, just get her the coat.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#32]
I own plenty of TNF jackets and fleeces; I don't think I've ever paid close to 50% of retail for them

In fact, the only reason I bought them was because they were so fucking cheap.

REI Clearance sales my friend

A few years ago, I wanted one of those "windproof" fleece jackets that allow a certain percentage of wind in, but don't make you sweat, for backpacking. Prior to this, I'd put my rain jacket on, then take it back off when I started sweating on the trails during wintertime. Kind of a PITA.

Marmot was making one which I really liked, but it was well over $200 TNF had one for $99, but being TNF it was cut a little funny (for me). Anyway, I mentioned this to my mother when I was over her house one day and she went ahead and bought me TNF Windwall jacket for my birthday.

That was very nice of her, but she paid $99 for the jacket. I found the exact same jacket a few months later at REI during a clearance sale for $34

REI Outlet, Backcountry Outlet, and sales...never pay full price for that stuff.

Speed
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:36:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct.

I wouldn't say that North Face is an overpriced jacket with a name on it... If you look at other comparable companies IE: Patagonia, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, Arcteryx$$, OR, Triple Aught Desgin,or  Beyond Clothing. They are all roughly the same price. So you could say that all of those companies are overpriced jackets with a name on them. Yet I don’t know many people who would pay for the Marmont, OR, Beyond Clothing, Triple Aught, or Mountain Hardwear name and yet they are comparably priced. Weird….
Anyway this fall I bought a North Face Apex Bionic and a Marmot Gravity (both windproof soft shells) MSRP on both is 150$. I would say that they are very close together in "performance" and build.

You could go buy a soft shell at Wal-Mart for 50$. But it will lack many of the following: not windproof, only has the two hand warmer pockets, will fall apart sooner, no synch string on the waist, terrible water resistance, terrible fit, bulky, and no velcro on cuffs. On top of all that lets say the Wal-Mart jacket gets torn, too bad... You have the option to throw it away, buy a new one, or get it patched. Now take any of those companies above and they have much better replacement policies. I know North Face is lifetime, and then add on top of that that websites like REI and Backcountry do no questions asked exchanges on fucked up gear… You do get what you pay for somewhat.

To the OP. The Bionic is one of my favorite soft shells, I own 5 softshells of various brands. You do have a 2012 color and will most likely have to pay full price. Backcountry.com was giving 30% off any one item not long ago, but you missed that :S. Sorry bud.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

While North Face is expensive the clothes aren't just Walmart quality clothes branded with an expensive name.  Even clothes from Bass Pro and Cabala's pale in comparison.  Cabela's fleece jacket lets the wind blow straight through and you freeze.  North Face blocks the wind somehow and you stay warm.

TNF isn't anything special really. Their better fleeces use PolarFleece which is a brand that makes various types and weights of fleece fabric used by any of your better brands of outdoor clothing/gear. It doesn't "pill" as easily as cheaper stuff and is lightweight. TNF proprietary fleece (TKA or something) sucks balls

You can buy a fleece jacket made from PolarFleece material from a myriad of manufacturers besides TNF. I like the cut of Marmot stuff better than TNF myself, and most of the fleeces I actually take hiking are Marmot.

Speed

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I've had lucky encounters at Cabelas in store shopping on both TNF and Spyder jackets.  It took digging through the racks, but I found a cold weather jacket similiar to this one, just a bit longer on the torso, for $90.  Marked down from $300.  Same with two Spyder jackets I found.
http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/TNF/TNF3608/FIGGN.jpg
ETA:  Forgot to mention looking for a Burlington Coat Factory.  I haven't shopped there but I hear from friends that good deals can often be found there on name brands.

Han Solo wore one of those on Hoth.  Must be damn warm.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

TNF isn't anything special really. Their better fleeces use PolarFleece which is a brand that makes various types and weights of fleece fabric used by any of your better brands of outdoor clothing/gear. It doesn't "pill" as easily as cheaper stuff and is lightweight. TNF proprietary fleece (TKA or something) sucks balls

You can buy a fleece jacket made from PolarFleece material from a myriad of manufacturers besides TNF. I like the cut of Marmot stuff better than TNF myself, and most of the fleeces I actually take hiking are Marmot.

Speed

Polartec? Is that what your refering to? Polartec makes a myriad of awsome fabrics. I really want to get a jacket with their new Neoshell fabric. Waterproof softshells... Oh baby
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Polartec? Is that what your refering to? Polartec makes a myriad of awsome fabrics. I really want to get a jacket with their new Neoshell fabric. Waterproof softshells... Oh baby

Ya, sorry...Polartec

Polartec, Polarfleece...

Speed

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#38]
6pm.com and zappos.com
I found a good deal on one from 6pm last year.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#39]
try Sports Basement ( if they're still around ) online.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#40]
14 min before it's too late.

http://www.steepandcheap.com/?avad=18493_b38107ad

Is this comparable to the North Face Bionic?
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not particularly. That's very much a mid layer. The Bionic is better as a top layer.

Try here

See that spend $100, get $20 gift card deal? It works on gift cards. So buy $130 in gift cards and you'll get  a $20 gift card so essentially $20 off. Better if you're an REI member.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I missed it, but buy it if in doubt, backcountry.com (runs steepandcheap) has an awesome return policy (you pay about $7 return shipping though).
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Middle of cold weather isn't the time to get deals on cold weather gear. Lots of websites carry north face but deals are hit or miss
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#44]
There is a nice guy on the ee in the clothing section with black goretex jackets. I bought one last month and love it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://images.thenorthface.com/is/image/TheNorthFace/790x790/women-39-s-apex-bionic-jacket-AMVX_A3M_hero.jpg

No. She has specifically told you exactly what she wants and in what color.
Do not substitute or seek alternatives.

Just be damn sure and get it in her size.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#46]
check amazon
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Vulture Steep & Cheap?

They have screaming deals on TNF gear on occasion.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct.

You're right about TNF gear but the OP's wallet will hate him if his wife starts getting the hots for Arc gear.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If she wants that one, just bite the bullet. That's a 2012 jacket so I doubt you will find it any cheaper than $149.

This.

You can try here O2gearshop but I doubt they will have that particular one discounted.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. She has specifically told you exactly what she wants and in what color.

Do not substitute or seek alternatives.

Just be damn sure and get it in her size.

This man speaks the truth.

Keep looking for a bargain, but do not buy anything other than EXACTLY what she wants.

If you're not sure about size, too small is better than too big.  Trust me.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top