Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Most of the cruiser that go on Carnival makes the average ARFcomer look like a triathlete.

Good point.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Fuck getting on board a fucking boat with 3,999 other people.
What kind of a moron willingly does ignorant shit like that.

Another good point.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm surprised no backup power
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was shipped wrecked in Antarctica and you don't see me bitching. I didn't get shit but a free book and half price off another trip.

Well, I guess it didn't get "hot as fuck" below deck in your scenario, now did it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why isn't the crew tossing the rotting food overboard if it stinks so badly?

Keeping it to tabulate losses for reimbursement from insurance?

Probably because throwing garbage off of a ship is illegal.  I don't think they can even take a piss overboard.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My carnival cruise leaves out on June 17.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I never understood the appeal of cruises in the first place. Being stuck on a boat in the middle of the ocean with a few thousand strangers isn't my idea of a vacation.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#8]
You know who really has it bad?

The crew.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe things aren't as bad as the news media and a few bad apples on the ship are making it out to be?  If I were on that ship I'd make the most out of the situation knowing full well that the cruise line is going to be refunding my money and probably giving me another cruise for free.  Seriously, for some people it's like civilization is ending if there is no air conditioning or showers.  Think about the conditions our GI's had to put up with crossing the Atlantic in WW1 and WW2.  They didn't get free booze and comps, they got to ride in sweltering overcrowded ships just to get to the war.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

From reports in the marine news sources, the biggest concern is what passengers will do with unrestricted access to free booze.

Can't be the first time that's been tried, can it?

No, but it puts things into relative perspective.  

Definitely.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I heard they are giving free alcohol as well.

I remember when airlines used to do that if you got stuck on the tarmac for more than 20 minutes or so.  

Is that when you took a Pan Am 707 to the Belgian Congo, Gramps?

I'm almost 34.  

I flew with my parents a few times a year until I graduated from high school and in the late 80's and early 90's they did that kind of thing a lot.  We got stuck in Miami overnight due to a storm (thunderstorms delayed departure until the flight crew had been on duty for too long and they didn't have any replacements), so once they figured out that we weren't leaving, they wheeled the drink cart off the plane and starting handing booze out.  This was 1988 or 1989.

Of course that was also back when you got a real meal even in coach.  My wife is 26 and doesn't believe me that I used to get pancakes and sausage for breakfast in coach on Eastern Airlines.

Eastern airlines even had metal flatware and glass cups in coach..... Ah the 80s
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]
At least they could have flown some porta potties and MRE's out there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

At least they could have flown some porta potties and MRE's out there.

They have public area heads and all you can eat buffets...

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Why isn't Obama doing something about this?
If something like this happened during Bush's administration, I guarantee the media would be hammering him with questions about the lack of response.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

How would you transfer 4000 people in the middle of the ocean?

Dirigibles.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Never get off the boat.

Not unless you're gonna go all the way.

Or split from the whole fuckin' program

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they have no small arms on board they would have one fuck of a time keeping me, and other capable men, from commandeering a fucking launch and bugging the fuck out.

As if I would be dumb enough to put my family on a fucking floating McPlayland in the first place.

Just where exactly would you be bugging out to?

We will figure that out once we are in the life raft!!!

Be sure to put on sun screen.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
If they have no small arms on board they would have one fuck of a time keeping me, and other capable men, from commandeering a fucking launch and bugging the fuck out.

As if I would be dumb enough to put my family on a fucking floating McPlayland in the first place.

We're the hell do you think your going.  Those launches are designed to float and wait for help, not motor several hundred miles to land.

I will be waiting for the USCG.

They may not come after a ship of 4000, but a boat of 20 will get picked up.

You realize they'll be taking you to prison, right?
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

We're the hell do you think your going.  Those launches are designed to float and wait for help, not motor several hundred miles to land.

You realize they'll be taking you to prison, right?

Will the toilet in my cell flush?
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
photokirk and his wife are on the ship. They were so looking forward to going too.  

Yes they were. And he even posted a letter (on FB) he received from Carnival about some other mishap right before they left -- talk about an omen.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#21]
If the ship devolves into total anarchy PhotoKirk will be right at home
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reports are they have plenty of potable water and bread.  Crew was making penut butter samiches for those that wanted them.

The problem is these folks were not expecting FEMA camp conditions, but Dom Pérignon and caviar.  You bet they are pissed, but not in danger.

Its a Carnival cruise.
They were expecting Bud Lite in buckets, all you can eat buffets, and a 'Most Sexy Legs' contest at the main pool.

Seriously. Aren't 95% of cruises just floating trailer parks?  

That's a great way of putting it
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

There was a fire in the engine room that took out the main engines and I assume the auxiliary.  She has been operating under her emergency generator, but that is only designed to power absolutely critical systems.  It will not power the entire ship.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a fire in the engine room that took out the main engines and I assume the auxiliary.  She has been operating under her emergency generator, but that is only designed to power absolutely critical systems.  It will not power the entire ship.  

I am really curious on a ship that big, how they have all of their power generation in tight enough quarters with their propulsion to lose it all in a single fire. I really wish I had been there. I am surprised they don't have gennies spread all over the bottom of that thing. It must have been a pretty big fuck up to knock out propulsion and power.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am really curious on a ship that big, how they have all of their power generation in tight enough quarters with their propulsion to lose it all in a single fire. I really wish I had been there. I am surprised they don't have gennies spread all over the bottom of that thing. It must have been a pretty big fuck up to knock out propulsion and power.

Power is propulsion on those ships. On our last cruise I attended a series of lectures on cruise ship operations put on by the various department heads.

The ships have enormous generators which provide electricity for all systems. The biggest consumer of that electricity are the azipods. Basically the azipods are giant steerable electric motors with propellers attached. With azipods and bow thrusters cruise ships are generally nimble enough to dock and undock without assistance from tugs. Which is pretty amazing when you realize how big they are.

Essentially cruise ships are diesel-electric hybrids like locomotives.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Gotchya, I have heard of such systems, very neat.

It seems that the cons of such a system are apparent though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fuck getting on board a fucking boat with 3,999 other people.
What kind of a moron willingly does ignorant shit like that.

I did, for 20 years.  Average crew on a deployed carrier is 5200 and change.  Never a week without some form of engineering casualty...just we were better drilled.

IF it's as bad as the news is making out, Carnival is in for a big hit.  That ship will needs a ton of money dumped into it just to get it to the breakers...can't see them spending the millions needed to clean/repair/refurbish it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummmmm, maybe you shouldn't be waiting for the USCG, because odds are, it wouldn't be a rescue, but an arrest.

I'm not sure what laws would be broken but commandeering something from a cruise ship, disobeying orders of the crew, is bound to land one in a heap of legal trouble!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously. Aren't 95% of cruises just floating trailer parks?  

Nope, fair amount of Carnival cruises are low cost and draws some of that crowd.  Majority of cruises are full of well off people with plenty of disposable income.  Get to some of the fancy brands or small ship lines, and you're talking big bucks to cruise.

Definitely nope.

The wife and I like to cruise and we do one every few years. We have a Scandinavian cruise booked for this summer. I'd be embarrassed to have to reveal our budget, it is rather lavish.

To each their own.

Me, that's one of my "fears" that the relatives will send me off on a cruise. Even if nothing like this happens, I'll probably be a few points above being bored to tears. `Nutshell speaking, being around a whole bunch of people who have misinformed opinions of the world is not my idea of fun.

If I go on any sort of cruise, I want it to be something like this:

(oceanographic research cruise)

Now, back to the topic.

Essentially, HOW to get them off the ship at sea to another ship? Sure, there are lifeboats and helicopters, but the basic point of the matter is two fold. First of all, those in themselves are not risk free approaches. Secondly, most of the people that would be involved in such a transfer are probably not the kind to approach it just solving whatever "comes up".

Two examples. In the Navy, we were refueling a helicopter and a crewman's dye packet got caught on something on the helicopter; he was lifted few feet into the air. The bird touched back down again, he was untangled, and the work went on. Now imagine such a minor incident happening to an untrained civilian and what their reaction might be?

When I was doing my marine biology course work, we were snorkeling off shore around an oil rig. We were using the R/V Longhorn

and many of my classmates were not able to exit the water by using the rungs on the stern. Ie, one swims to the stern, grasps the rungs, let's the rocking pull them out of the water, then climbs in fins, duck footed, up the rungs till they are on deck so they can get the fins off.

Instead, they had to put a Zodiac along side, have staff pull my classmates out of the water into the boat, and then let them climb from the Zodiac onto the Longhorn. Many of my classmates were 20 year olds and they couldn't get out of the water the conventional way. Now, in all fairness, they weren't experienced, they had little time with being a low head in the water and this great big piece of metal bobbing up and down right infront of them, right above them.

I understand; if you don't have the experience or knowledge, that can be positively unnerving.......to say nothing if one has seen enough movies about what happens to people next to propellers.

Moving a bunch of people from one ship to another in the open sea when you don't have to..............is not such a great notion.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
("All you can see is water.......Except for that cigar someone threw away."--Lucy having missed the ship and is flown out by helicopter to meet it
"Mrs. Ricardo, that "cigar" is your ship."--Pilot, (w,stte), I Love Lucy, "Bon Voyage")
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:22:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the cruiser that go on Carnival makes the average ARFcomer look like a triathlete.

Good point.

It's funny because it's true.  When I was on my last cruise, I'd go up to the top and run laps (11 equaled one mile).  I saw equally zero other runners the whole time.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:35:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Just think what could go wrong trying to transfer some of these people in the middle of the ocean.
You are not talking a ship full of Marines here.
You would have childern, eldery, handicap, and so on, not to mention the obese that can only walk from their room to the food bar.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:37:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:28:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keeping it to tabulate losses for reimbursement from insurance?

Probably because throwing garbage off of a ship is illegal.  I don't think they can even take a piss overboard.  Seriously.

I don't think the US Navy got that memo.  I was suprised at the amount shit they throw overboard.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:36:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

titanic?

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:37:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you are not in imminent danger of suffocating, burning, or drowning to death, the smart course of action, 99 times out of 100, is to stay on the ship.

This...
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:42:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was shipped wrecked in Antarctica and you don't see me bitching. I didn't get shit but a free book and half price off another trip.

Well, I guess it didn't get "hot as fuck" below deck in your scenario, now did it?

No we still had power and the natural AC worked quite well. They did how ever stop selling beer, that sucked.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:46:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

get a ocean going tug and pull them to the closest port

The problem was that many of the passengers didn't have passports, so rather than put them into a Mexican port, they are towing the ship to Mobile, AL.

Who the fuck  travels internationally without a passport?

Doesn't matter, they won't leave the port.  The reason they are being towed to Mobile is simple, they don't have a vessel in the area.

Mobile has a repair facility that works on cruise ships; it ain't about the passengers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:48:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its illegal to do that.
They also cant dump untreated waste over the side. There are all sorts of rules for ships of that size. Yes it sounds dumb but the fines for breaking those laws are astronomical and I doubt Carnival wants to add that to their list of money that will go out the window because of this.

They should be allowed to discharge food waste overboard even after the MARPOL Annex V changes that came into effect on 01JAN13.   However being in the Gulf of Mexico, they might be within 500 miles from a platform. MEPC 210(62)

They also would be OK to discharge raw sewage as well.  MARPOL Annex IV Reg 9.  Just don't put the dookie in a plastic bag and throw it overboard.

Of course, as Diesel Engineer pointed out, the toilets are likely on a vacuum system which is not on the EDG panel.

Exceptions

Regulation 8 of this Annex shall not apply to:

(a) the discharge of sewage from a ship necessary for the purpose of securing the safety of a ship and those on board or saving life at sea; or

(b) the discharge of sewage resulting from damage to a ship or its equipment if all reasonable precautions have been taken before and after the occurrence of the damage, for the purpose of preventing or minimizing the discharge.

I would say they won't do it due to the high media attention and the perceived "polluting" they would be doing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:03:43 AM EDT
[#38]
You would never catch me on a cruise ship.  To me, they are floating (hopefully), over-sized flea-bag motels filled with Legionairres disease and overweight drunken secretaries with the clap.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:10:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll stick with Royal Caribbean, thanks...
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:18:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Your best bet is to stay on the ship.  Transferring 4000 people from one ship to another is going to be logistical nightmare.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:11:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You would never catch me on a cruise ship.  To me, they are floating (hopefully), over-sized flea-bag motels filled with Legionairres disease and overweight drunken secretaries with the clap.

I thought it was Norovirus?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:57:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Snowleopard, you might be somewhat interested in my dream cruise.  I want to take this:

Here:

Chuckie Cheese of the Seas does not appeal though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:07:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Would never go on a cruise other than a river cruise. This happens periodically it would seem......Not only that, I find little charm in most Third World Shithole Tourist destinations.......
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:10:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip
They should be allowed to discharge food waste overboard even after the MARPOL Annex V changes that came into effect on 01JAN13.   However being in the Gulf of Mexico, they might be within 500 miles from a platform. MEPC 210(62)

They also would be OK to discharge raw sewage as well.  MARPOL Annex IV Reg 9.  Just don't put the dookie in a plastic bag and throw it overboard.

/quote]

MARPOL does allow untreated discharge in Special Areas if necessary for the safety of the ship and passengers and crew.  I believe this would qualify.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Although a bit dramatic, your assessment is not so far from the truth.  The contention is if "vacationing in an over-sized flea-bag hotel and banging fatties with the clap" is fun.  To many, it is.  I had fun on the two cruises I went on.

You have to have the right mindset to go on a cruise.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'll stick with Royal Caribbean, thanks...

This
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:04:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:33:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Although a bit dramatic, your assessment is not so far from the truth.  The contention is if "vacationing in an over-sized flea-bag hotel and banging fatties with the clap" is fun.  To many, it is.  I had fun on the two cruises I went on.

You have to have the right mindset to go on a cruise.

Are there cruises that are more selective for a higher price, say, $5k a ticket?

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Mobile has a repair facility that works on cruise ships; it ain't about the passengers.

Makes sense. Apparently from reports, they had the fire and shit their electrical power, which mean they were DIW right there. I guess by the time the tugs got to them, the current had pushed them equidistance between the Yucatan and Mobile, and the 900 dumbshits without passports sealed the deal, as getting them out of olde Mexico would have been a ton of asspain.

This is why you always bring your passport, kids!
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top