BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/24/2013 6:52:01 PM EDT

What could possibly go wrong?

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes you don't need an aircraft carrier. Sometimes you need a barge. For example, when launching highly explosive, unreliable, experimental rockets.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#2]
What was the point of that?  It's not like you'd ever deploy anything remotely similar.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What was the point of that?  It's not like you'd ever deploy anything remotely similar.

Technology demonstrator. If you can launch it from a carrier you can launch it from a battleship or destroyer, or maybe even a submarine.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It was before the days of the SSBN.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, launching missiles from ships is stupid!
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
What is this, V2 rocket night on ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Germans were actually working on a submarine-towed V-2 launch platform for use against the American eastern seaboard.

There were too many technical problems for them to make it feasible.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sometimes you don't need an aircraft carrier. Sometimes you need a barge. For example, when launching highly explosive, unreliable, experimental rockets.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is that a reference to the Goon rocket?

Whatever happened with that, anyway?  Last I heard they had launch clearance, but I never found out the results.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#11]
During WW II, the submarine USS Barb launched rocket attacks against the Japanese mainland.  Of course, she surfaced and had rocket racks welded onto her deck. The squids mounted the rockets on the racks and then on command, released a barrage that burnt some fishing village.  Way to go Eugene Fluckey!
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure is, I'm glad we put a stop to that non-sense before someone got hurt.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
This guy didn't have much luck, either.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been on the Midway in San Diego.

She's definitly got a lot of history to her.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow can't believe they actually tried that with that shitty ass rocket the sob tilted 40* on launch. Proof of concept I guess I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that launch.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#16]
USS Cusk (SS-348) launching a Loon Missile from the deck.
The skipper of the boat submerged and prevented a lot of damage.

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 4:55:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Holy crap.

If there was anybody on deck, I doubt if they survived.

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#18]
So we launched them from a carrier, so we launched rockets in Operation Argus from the USS Norton Sound.

So we tested early Polaris from the USS Observation Island. As I recall, the original plans for USS Long Beach had missile tubes laid out as well.

The basic this is someone had the guts to try which has lead to one of the best weapons systems in the world.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
("......Now I'm riding on a fountain of fire. With my back to the Earth, I go higher and higher.....", lyrics, (w,stte), "Why Me?" by Pllanet P)
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It was the Navy trying to be relevant when the brand new  USAF was arguing that nuke bombers meant there was no need for anything but.

US defense was a mess after WWII.Something most don't realize is that Truman did not set a budget for defense,he just used the leftovers.There was very real consideration given to eliminating ALL carriers at the time. The Navy carrier qualified the Neptune as a 1 way nuke bomber around the same time for the same reason.

James Forrestal was proven entirely right.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Some of the stories of the first canons being used in battles were pretty interesting I bet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 6:16:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Germans were actually working on a submarine-towed V-2 launch platform for use against the American eastern seaboard.

Tis true.  My grandfather and great uncle were instrumental in that effort.  One bringing the V-2 to the party and the other bringing the u-boat.

ETA: I should have said rocket technology not V-2.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Adm Gallery commanded the task group that captured the U-505 and wrote some damned funny books about his WWII experiences.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Early proof of concept for seaborne ballistic missle launch.  Made perfect sense to attempt back then immediately post-war.  The errant trajectory after launch was typical of V2s until the gyro stabilized guidance system could orient and guide the missile on course.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#24]
it not like there would be a standard for that or anything....

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was the Navy trying to be relevant when the brand new  USAF was arguing that nuke bombers meant there was no need for anything but.

US defense was a mess after WWII.Something most don't realize is that Truman did not set a budget for defense,he just used the leftovers.There was very real consideration given to eliminating ALL carriers at the time. The Navy carrier qualified the Neptune as a 1 way nuke bomber around the same time for the same reason.

James Forrestal was proven entirely right.

correct on all points.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Technology demonstrator. If you can launch it from a carrier you can launch it from a battleship or destroyer, or maybe even a submarine.  

I'm puzzled why the admiral was discouraged about the launch. It worked. It was a radical idea with a radical weapon that even the designers didn't fully understand. The US men who copied it were behind the curve on everything and they still proved the concept.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#28]
My very first plastic model as a little kid:

The USS Norton Sound was a WW2 seaplane tender that became a research ship in later years, used to test all kinds of guns, missiles, and radar systems.

All the pictures I can find online of the actual ship and the model show Navy gray for the color scheme.  The model I had had the old Coast Guard white, tan, and charcoal gray color scheme.  I've never been able to figure that out.  The model pictures also all show a helicopter platform on the bow, which my model did not have.

Built or un-built models of this ship now sell for $500-$600.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm puzzled why the admiral was discouraged about the launch. It worked. It was a radical idea with a radical weapon that even the designers didn't fully understand. The US men who copied it were behind the curve on everything and they still proved the concept.

The idea of strategic airpower (which missiles were the future of) promised to render armies and navies (and manned aircraft) obsolete.

The idea of sub-existential conflict in the post WW2 era was non-existant.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#30]
The V-2 looks like something made by the Acme Corporation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Best missile slave labor could build.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Which is even more puzzling, because in 1947, the US Army or OGA were fighting COIN campaigns in Greece, Italy and Korea.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The present day Scud is essentially a V2.  Widely used by peace loving folks worldwide.

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is even more puzzling, because in 1947, the US Army or OGA were fighting COIN campaigns in Greece, Italy and Korea.

thats different, cause, you know, its different.

air power!
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

air power!

I was thinking about an organization too stupid to defend its own equities. Of course, that was back in the days when people resigned their commissions and it mattered.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

air power!

I was thinking about an organization too stupid to defend its own equities. Of course, that was back in the days when people resigned their commissions and it mattered.

depends on what your equities are, doesn't it?
Eisenhower (who agreed to DoD and independent AF) equities were future presidential campaign.
The USAF was about a flying club uninhibited by noners telling them what to do.

Not sure anyone really gave a shit about warfighting at that point.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not sure anyone really gave a shit about warfighting at that point.

Well then, have they ever?
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My very first plastic model as a little kid:

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/jpegs/Revell%20H331-169%20NorSndMP.JPG

The USS Norton Sound was a WW2 seaplane tender that became a research ship in later years, used to test all kinds of guns, missiles, and radar systems.

All the pictures I can find online of the actual ship and the model show Navy gray for the color scheme.  The model I had had the old Coast Guard white, tan, and charcoal gray color scheme.  I've never been able to figure that out.  The model pictures also all show a helicopter platform on the bow, which my model did not have.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/ptjudy/USS%20Norton%20Sound/new122.jpg?t=1297184248

Built or un-built models of this ship now sell for $500-$600.  

First Aegis ship ever.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
During WW II, the submarine USS Barb launched rocket attacks against the Japanese mainland.  Of course, she surfaced and had rocket racks welded onto her deck. The squids mounted the rockets on the racks and then on command, released a barrage that burnt some fishing village.  Way to go Eugene Fluckey!

The Germans experimented with launching rockets from the deck of the U-boats, while submerged; see U-511.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Why would the pawn stars/ancient aliens channel show something like that?
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tis true.  My grandfather and great uncle were instrumental in that effort.  One bringing the V-2 to the party and the other bringing the u-boat.

ETA: I should have said rocket technology not V-2.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

There is some interesting discussion on this point in the book LUFTWAFFE OVER AMERICA by Manfred Griehl, which is about the Luftwaffe's efforts to somehow bring the hate to
American shores, all plans of which, thankfully, were abortive.

One wonders what they might have achieved had they had someone more competent (and less interested in morphine, stolen art, and Bacchanalian pleasures) than Goering at the helm.

Let us be thankful we never found out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The idea of strategic airpower (which missiles were the future of) promised to render armies and navies (and manned aircraft) obsolete.

1947 was not a good year for the ICBM.

I can't find fault with most of the things they did. Everything they had was new, from the stamped SMG to the carrier battle group. No one knew what would happen next. I give them props for wanting to see what they could do. Even if they all thought the Air Force was going to put them all in the back seats, I wonder how many of them looked at strategic bombing and wondered if it was worth it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The  irony  in  that  is  that  most  things  made  by  the  Acme  Corp.  DID  usually  go  boom . . ..  when  it  went  boom  on  the  other  hand . .. . .
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#44]

The three words that stuck a cord.

ARMORED STEEL FLIGHTDECK...

Otherwise, stupid (qubed) to lauch a hghly explosive Bomb (V-2 even without any warhead) is an giant explosion just waiting to happen.

Proof of concept, launch from a less valuable ship until you work out the bugs.

V-2s being built by Slave Labor (if you know you are going to die, might as well take some Nazi's with you by sabotage of V-2s)
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 4:07:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Great video.  Perfectly understandable how the USN would want to experiment with such a thing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Great video.  Perfectly understandable how the USN would want to experiment with such a thing.

they were more interested in experimenting with missiles than the AF.
As was the Army.
air power!
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:22:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Probably had to do with developung stabilization algorithms to support launching a missle from a moving platform.

Research and Devleopment!  How does it work!!??
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As was the Army.
air power!

The USN has historically done very well with missiles.

Sparrow, Sidewinder, Talos, Standard family, Polaris, Trident, Tomahawk, Harpoon.

It's a pretty impressive pattern.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As was the Army.
air power!

Sparrow, Sidewinder, Talos, Standard family, Polaris, Trident, Tomahawk, Harpoon.

Phoenix and Zuni, as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As was the Army.
air power!

amazing what you can do with airpower when you aren't mentally slaved to airplanes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top