Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be That Pedant and point out that the topic is "What happened to rifled grenades?"

IIRC, the M203 and M320 are both fired from rifled barrels, ergo rifled grenades are still in quite common use. Ditto the Mk.19, again IIRC.

Rifle grenades, on the other hand, have a number of downsides, not least recoil and potential complexity of swapping between ball and blank ammo.

Had to go there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, what the hell is it??
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:20:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I need to find my photos from the RAG training literature.  The targets were long-haired hippie types.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:07:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure I'm remembering the name right.  It's a dedicated AT 40mm round.  Both it and a dedicated HE round were replaced by the DP one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They seem much larger that a 40mm grenade but how much of that is explosives? They look big and heavy with no easy way to carry them in volume. 40mm are small in comparison.

The big ones have shaped charges, I believe, requiring the larger size.

Aren't the 40mm smokeless, flakless rounds out of service?

Not sure what a smokeless, flakless round is? Training "chalk" rounds?

http://i43.tinypic.com/13yi8fp.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm remembering the name right.  It's a dedicated AT 40mm round.  Both it and a dedicated HE round were replaced by the DP one.

I have never heard of dedicated HEAP or HEAT round for the 40mm M203. I carried one for several years. The M433 Dual Purpose round has been around since Vietnam.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As the M16 was designed from the start to fire rifle grenades without modification, I wonder why we don't develop a small light weight rifle grenade in a bullet-trap or bullet-through style that can be launched with standard service rounds.  Kinda like a rifle-launched mini-frag, something small and light enough that you can pass one or two out to everybody who doesn't have an M203.
View Quote

Belgians already did it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#7]
The Syrian rebels do it better.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They seem much larger that a 40mm grenade but how much of that is explosives? They look big and heavy with no easy way to carry them in volume. 40mm are small in comparison.

HEDP has a shaped charge too.  A larger shaped charge from a rifle grenade is irrelevant now with the advent of better composite armors.  The 40mm grenades are adequate for unarmored technical vehicles, and they are easier to carry and easier to aim and shoot as well.

Quoted:
Too much stuff to do.
I like the soviet GP25/30.

Shove in round. fire.

Not even a shell to eject.

Theres a lot of dud fires with those, I deal with them all the time, usually after they get done shooting them at us.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have never heard of dedicated HEAP or HEAT round for the 40mm M203. I carried one for several years. The M433 Dual Purpose round has been around since Vietnam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure what a smokeless, flakless round is? Training "chalk" rounds?

http://i43.tinypic.com/13yi8fp.jpg

I just found the designation. M463.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top