Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2013 5:01:45 AM EDT
I noticed a couple houses on the way to work this morning that had the familiar blue ADT signs up by their front doors and windows. I can't help but think that a pretty good percentage of these homes don't actually have ADT protection, outside of the protection that the signs alone might provide.

Curious to hear ARfcom's thoughts on doing this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Steal their signs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:05:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Steal their signs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:06:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The rack of my boomstick is better than your sign
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#4]
It's only like $39 a month. Why not get the real thing? Even when the system isn't armed, when "door chime" is active, you get a sound anytime anyone opens any of the doors with sensors. At night, if someone does get a door open, you'll definitely be awoken and be able to arm yourself. I think it's worth it.

They're supposedly a deterrent because burglars want the easiest target. They don't like cameras, either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd rather not give a heads up to my security situation.  Let the fuckers be surprised.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:09:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Meh. I think signs are an indicator that there is probably something in there worth stealing.

IMO having a dog or evidence of a dog would be a bigger deterrent because it's alarming effects are instantaneous.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless some criminal is an expert at breaking into ADT protected houses, I think they would consider it a more difficult target and pass.  I know my system pretty well and it makes me concerned. Cut the cable, use a cell phone jammer, and hope the neighbors are deaf.  Luckily I live on a street with lots of old, easily pissed off retired people who think it is the high point in their day to call the po-po.  I also have another surprise system hooked into the gun room that is separate and independent from ADT.  The pros will get in, they spend their whole lives stealing and studying from each other (jail time), the kids and other dumbasses will get caught.  Sort of Dawinism in crime.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Does it help?  Maybe.

Does it hurt? No.

A normal dumb thief would see that sign and probably hit another house.  

A pro will know that the best response time by police will be around 10 minutes from the time an alarm is tripped.  They can be in and out in under 5.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd rather not give a heads up to my security situation.  Let the fuckers be surprised.
View Quote

This too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:11:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I had somebody kick in my front door while standing right next to an ADT sign.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:12:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I suggest having a real system, but using signs from another company. It makes it more difficult to try and gameplan your security if a criminal is so inclined.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meth tweakers can blurrily see a sign and go to the next house. Why get involved in all the hassle of a court appearance after a shooting if you can just ward them off?

Also:

Put on gates. Make sure at least one outdoor ball camera is visible when they look up from that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#13]
It's better than nothing. But, unfortunately, it's not the 80's anymore, and burglars walk right past them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:13:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This too.

Fuck that. I would rather not have to replace my front door because i get a kick out of it when burglars are surprised.

I'm not trying to ambush people, i want to them to go rob someone else.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:13:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm a fan of any signage that may prevent a break in (security company,  beware of dog, or other...)

I also have a camera in plain sight of my front door.  You'd have to be on an f*in mission to come through my door, at which point you've earned the prize that awaits for you on the other side.

Personally I have a beware of dog sign on my door, and a camera sign in the window, and the camera at the door of course :)

The goal is to make them think twice about my house, and perhaps persuade them to look for another or "easier" target.

On an semi related matter...  My sister awoke this AM in Jacksonville FL to find her house had been broken into.  Her TV, cash, and security cat were all missing when she made her way downstairs.  Thank god they didn't go upstairs.  Could have been WAY worse.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:13:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Meh. I think signs are an indicator that there is probably something in there worth stealing.

IMO having a dog or evidence of a dog would be a bigger deterrent because it's alarming effects are instantaneous.
View Quote

This. I have three large dogs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:15:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know, a smart thief would just throw poison meat over the fence and wait. Rat poison is pretty cheap and fairly fast and silent.

Why not have a complete package?

Well lit property, Signs, dog's, good doors and locks, alarm, vigilant neighbors, A safe, thorny bushes under windows, Window planters under windows with Cactus in them, etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In college I worked doing construction demolition in the summers.  I worked with a guy who had done time for B&E and burglary.  He said that the signs just told him which type of security system he had to study and learn how to bypass and disable.  Other than that, they weren't a deterrent at all.
View Quote

ADT uses systems from about a dozen vendors now. Totally different connection systems with options. Good luck guessing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I noticed a couple houses on the way to work this morning that had the familiar blue ADT signs up by their front doors and windows. I can't help but think that a pretty good percentage of these homes don't actually have ADT protection, outside of the protection that the signs alone might provide.

Curious to hear ARfcom's thoughts on doing this sort of thing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:16:57 AM EDT
[#21]
It works for me. I even got a home insurance discount when my insurance company came to check on property and take pictures for their records. Got a letter in the mail about my new rate because they thought i had alarm system.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#22]
For 500$ you can install your own, with your own sensors, and monitor it yourself.

I have added 4 cameras and have signs from 3 different alarm systems and three dogs.
Two who would attack and make someone suffer.

Good luck getting in and out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:18:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a system I designed and installed professionally.  The signs are generic so you can't prepare for what you will run into.  Cut the power and you will have to wait 3 days before my backup batteries die.  Cut my phone line and I have a cellular backup.  Inside I use a combination of switches and sensors (some visible and some not) to cover every space in the house.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:23:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I have the signs, but also have and use the ADT system.  I do admit giving my son some ADT window stickers for use at his campus house.  Doubt that deterred anyone, being on campus and all.

How effective are they?  Not sure.  Just hope the lazy hit and run thiefs pick another house to burgle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#27]
After my last home burglary which resulted in my clock getting literally cleaned...A friend of mine worked for a home alarm installation company and gave me a stack of the stickers that you place on your windows.
So I placed on every window on my house as well as my girlfriends and my late fathers house.
The three homes have not been violated in the last 12 years.
And all three had been burglarized before.
So maybe they work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:25:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

For 500$ you can install your own, with your own sensors, and monitor it yourself.

I have added 4 cameras and have signs from 3 different alarm systems and three dogs.

View Quote

I'm thinking this.  In this technological age, I don't understand why anyone would want to pay $30 a month for a company to do something that a smartphone app can do for you for free.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:25:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does it help?  Maybe.

Does it hurt? No.

A pro will know that the best response time by police will be around 10 minutes from the time an alarm is tripped.  They can be in and out in under 5.
View Quote

A sign tells them to cut your phone line before they enter, and to immediately seek out the control box to disable the alarm if they can.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:26:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In college I worked doing construction demolition in the summers.  I worked with a guy who had done time for B&E and burglary.  He said that the signs just told him which type of security system he had to study and learn how to bypass and disable.  Other than that, they weren't a deterrent at all.
View Quote

Sounds like he should have spent less time playing Ocean's 11 and more time breaking into houses without ADT...

Seriously though, I would think most lowlifes are going to go for the easy mark - not the house that automatically notifies the owner and calls the police in the event of a break-in.  If you really want to drive the point home you could leave a bunch of spent casings on your window sill, get a big dog, and dig a couple 6' deep holes in the front lawn with a sign that says "Space available, inquire within".
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:28:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm thinking this.  In this technological age, I don't understand why anyone would want to pay $30 a month for a company to do something that a smartphone app can do for you for free.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the options with ADT is a very powerful cell transmitter module that looks like it belongs in a network rack, lots of flickering network lights. I think that'd be a lot harder to jam than a smartphone, and while you're busy shooting at a home invader, the system is busy sending the cops to back you up.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Does it help?  Maybe.

Does it hurt? No.

A sign tells them to cut your phone line before they enter, and to immediately seek out the control box to disable the alarm if they can.

Anything newer uses phone + cellular, cutting the phone line does nothing. The console on mine is just a console, it has nothing to do with the alarm control that's hidden elsewhere.

That is why I had it put on a kitchen wall view of the patio doors, so anyone nosing around over the back fence would see the LCD blue screen and very bright red ARMED glow, and hopefully decide to try elsewhere. Everything I've ever read says they prefer the easy targets.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Put a sign on your front door that says

"There is nothing in this house worth dying for."
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:36:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Anything newer uses phone + cellular, cutting the phone line does nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Anything newer uses phone + cellular, cutting the phone line does nothing.

Wrong. Plenty of systems are installed by builders and have no cellular option, or you have to pay ADT more every month for it and people choose not to do that.

The console on mine is just a console, it has nothing to do with the alarm control that's hidden elsewhere.

I'm not talking about the console "keypad" where you control it. I'm talking about the actual nerve center, with the backup battery and everything else. It's not that hard to find for a pro.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's no sign on my property for exactly that reason.

And besides, what those signs actually say is " cut my phone line".
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm not talking about the console "keypad" where you control it. I'm talking about the actual nerve center, with the backup battery and everything else. It's not that hard to find for a pro.
View Quote

Unless you have an art collection that's public, most breakins aren't "pros", they're addicts smashing in and looking for something to pawn for their next hit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

About a week ago here burglars broke a window of a house and threw poison laced meatballs to the dogs inside, once the dogs were incapacitated they had run of the place. So the person/persons that did it were motivated,determined and prepared --they knew there were dogs or are always ready for that eventuality and they knew they would have time to deal with it. About 2 yrs ago My closest neighbor had a burglary where her 2 dogs were beaten/abused so bad one of them never got over it and shook all the time and pee'd if startled ever since, that dog died about 18 months after the break in and was only 4-5 yrs old. There have been 6-7 burglary's around here in the past 30 days and NOW people are getting alarms and cameras. For the first time in years I have seen state police and sheriff patrols.  It has to be more than one individual or group but we live in a remote area with no local police so response times can be long. I also think that if they are willing to poison/kill pets they would harm a human or child with no issue. About half of the victims here have lost guns and untraceable things like cash and in one case gold coins. It boggles my mind how many people don't have a safe for guns and valuables. My wife wants me to add one of the camera DVR systems to the house so there is a camera on each side up high so if anyone comes near we will hopefully have footage. We already have an alarm. Since the house is occupied virtually 24/7 I am more worried about a home invasion type situation than a burglary.  Dogs even large ones are no guarantee that they wont have a plan for that -- but then again neither is an alarm or cameras an 100% guarantee either.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Unless you have an art collection that's public, most breakins aren't "pros", they're addicts smashing in and looking for something to pawn for their next hit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop making sense damn it.

obviously any one with a ADT sign in their yard is crazy rich and is just hiding all the goods inside.  

Good lord people. Its a 35 dollar monthly fee. It isn't like its rare to have a home alarm now a days.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:52:47 AM EDT
[#40]
It can't hurt. Won't stop the pros but anything that might deter the crack addict from smashing in looking for some easy cash can be helpful. For the pros you need OPSEC, they generally like targets where they already know what is inside.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You know, a smart thief would just throw poison meat over the fence and wait. Rat poison is pretty cheap and fairly fast and silent.

Well lit property, Signs, dog's, good doors and locks, alarm, vigilant neighbors, A safe, thorny bushes under windows, Window planters under windows with Cactus in them, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several layers of security is the best idea with dogs, alarms, shrubbery, safes, etc. all being part of it.

If someone wants in they will figure out a way.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'd rather they never be surprised robbing my house because they hit the house down the street instead of mine.

Home security is all about layers.

Good lighting, appropriate landscaping, alarm signs, and dog(s) are great at telling folks driving by to leave your house alone.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:59:01 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

haha

If you live in a nice neighborhood, everybody has something worth stealing.  Encourage the crook to go down the street.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Good shit so far, guys.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:13:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's better than nothing. But, unfortunately, it's not the 80's anymore, and burglars walk right past them.
View Quote

Most of the typical home break-in bandits are too stupid to even realize what those blue and white hexagon signs mean.
I'm talking about those yahoos that still shop-lift in WalMart while 117 cctv cameras cover every square foot of those stores, and watch and record their every move.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:15:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Does it help?  Maybe.

Does it hurt? No.

View Quote

I have an alarm and a gun safe and the in and out in five minutes if the alarm is going off is one of the things I count on. Any safe can be gotten into with sufficient time, but not by someone who hears an alarm going off and knows the police are on the way. In that case someone would probably just grab the old laptop from my coffee table and run back out the door.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:17:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Does it help?  Maybe.

Does it hurt? No.

View Quote

+1

I have added outside motion lights and want to add a camera or faux camera.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#50]
I have them because the whole block has them, I don't want to be the one without them
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top