Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I got foiled again today.  I was all hungry for some Pizza Hut lunch buffet so I decided to make the drive to one of the last ones fairly close-by only to reach an abandoned restaurant and find out they were closed for business.   They've pulled this on me three times now at different locations.

Now I have to drive 30 minutes from work to get to the next closest Pizza Hut if I want to enjoy their lunch buffet.   Papa John must be putting the hurting on them.

View Quote

You lead a Desperate Life.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I never minded pizza hut.  It (was) the only pizza my wife liked so we'd go there on occasion.  My biggest beef with them was that they were overpriced. 15 bucks for a large pizza? anyway, I think what's really taking them down is that their pizza just kinda sucks these days, particlarly the crust.  My understanding is that at one time they made their dough on location, now it's all shipped in frozen.  Their hallmark pan pizza crust is now lifeless and too sweet.  My wife and I were just discussing going in and having one just to make sure.  That is unless the restaurant closes first as they just opened a take out location on the other side of town.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's the stuff!  We used to go there (or Carbone's Pizza) after little league games.   I remember the first time my dad got me to try a sauerkraut and Canadian bacon pizza.  

All the Pizza Huts are still humming along here, but I heard we are also getting a Pizza Ranch nearby.  Oh, yeah!  Taco pizza.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I miss Shakey's.   1890's old timey.

That's the stuff!  We used to go there (or Carbone's Pizza) after little league games.   I remember the first time my dad got me to try a sauerkraut and Canadian bacon pizza.  

All the Pizza Huts are still humming along here, but I heard we are also getting a Pizza Ranch nearby.  Oh, yeah!  Taco pizza.

Shakey's is real!? I thought it was just from South Park.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
There's one here in town.  A girl I was dating wanted to go there so we went.  The food was bad and the place was dirty.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes. Only Pizza Huts round here are strictly delivery/carryout or the Taco Bell/Pizza Hut combos
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I work for a Pizza Hut, for what it's worth.  I'll agree the pizza sux

Alot of it depends on if the stores around your are corporate stores, or franchises.  I work for a franchise, so they can change, sell out, move around as things come and go.  As far as far as corporate, they are owned by YUM foods international, which is the same company that own Taco Bell, KFC, Long Johns, A&W.  I know alot of those stores have started moving twords the combined restaurants now, less staff needed, less overhead, all in one store.  

As far as why stores may be closing near you, i couldn't really say.  Big business is fucked up
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got foiled again today.  I was all hungry for some Pizza Hut lunch buffet so I decided to make the drive to one of the last ones fairly close-by only to reach an abandoned restaurant and find out they were closed for business.   They've pulled this on me three times now at different locations.

Now I have to drive 30 minutes from work to get to the next closest Pizza Hut if I want to enjoy their lunch buffet.   Papa John must be putting the hurting on them.

Why?  Because I don't bring a bag lunch to work containing a healthy sammich?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  There was one here, decades ago.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I ate there as late as the early 90's. That was in California though, where they're from.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Last Pizza Hut I had was when I took my 9 months preggo wife there almost 13 years ago, kid said fuck that shit and was born the next day!
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Had PH this past week, its been a while, and it was not good.  

Shouldve drven to the grocery store and bought 4 Totinos and saved about $20.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do, too.

The old pizza places where you could sit and have pizza and pitchers of beer on a Friday night were great.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Our local one never has anyone in it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]
In my hippy college town the Pizza Hut and Domino's use Smart cars to deliver. It's like better for the environment mannn.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Best thing that can happen to Pizza Hut is for all of them to close.  That's some nasty pie.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably, they are gross
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#17]
The free standing sit-down ones around here are slowly vanishing.  All that is left is the small delivery / takeout locations.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shakey's YES!

Great crust, great sauce. Great Pizza.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They are disappearing into the taco bells around here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I havent noticed since I havent looked for one in 10 years.......

Dominos is MOAR better anyways, as far as fast pizza goes......

They are disappearing into the taco bells around here.

My delivery just added on a dine in. Thats the only pizza my family will eat but they dont drink the Pepsi
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Haven't seen a Round Table forever either.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I hope so because Pizza Hut is nasty
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#22]
yes mine closed a year ago never really ate there I go to a mom and pop shop much better
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Pizza Hut disappeared because their pizza sucks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Fuck 'em all!

Bonnie & Clydes Pizza .....

PRP / Louisville, KY

Order the large Italian Pie and tell 'em I sent you!
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Domino's isn't the absolute shit pizza it once was. It's not great pizza either (we all know your local place is better), but it's better than Pizza Hut at the moment. They really fixed a lot of things.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Domino's is putting the hurt on them.

Domino's isn't the absolute shit pizza it once was. It's not great pizza either (we all know your local place is better), but it's better than Pizza Hut at the moment. They really fixed a lot of things.  

I'll have to try it.  I haven't had a Domino's in probably 20 years.  No shit.

Pizza hut seems to be going more for a delivery model instead of the sit down restaurants.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

If all the Pizza Huts, Domino's, Papa Johns, Little Caesars disappeared overnight, I would still have dozens of pizza shops within 3 miles to patronize.
View Quote

Lucky you...  In the city of 40K that I'm currently sitting in, there is ONE pizza place that's not a large chain.  

Then again, you have NJ gun laws.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a bunch here in Oregon. I didn't find this out until a couple days ago when I got a craving
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#29]

If I was delivering pizza, I'd use the highest milage car I could find.  Cause I like money.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#30]
the "un-pizza"

why go to pizza hut when you can just throw a frozen pizza in the over and party down

same deal
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I was delivering pizza, I'd use the highest milage car I could find.  Cause I like money.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My local Mama Papa pizza has 3 GEO Metros
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember when pizza was still good.

Delivery killed good pizza.  Fuck you Pizza Express!
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#33]
We used to have 2-3 sit downs, now there's one remaining sit-down, and a couple "Pizza Hut / Wing Street" places that are all walk-in service.  Those look to be busy all the time.  

Guess not paying waitresses to cruise an empty dining room saves money...  
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The delivery places are all over around here but all of the sit down and eat Pizza Huts went the way of the DoDo bird a long time ago
View Quote

We have a couple left here around me. ( Ann Arbor, MI  ) The lunch buffet used to be a pretty good deal. Might check it out this week.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#37]
We used to have 2 here, but have been down to one for a few years or so.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It must either be nostalgia or newer brands and tastes making it look bad by comparison but back in the 80's as a kid, Pizza Hut was awesome.  Especially if you had a roll of quarters for their arcade games that usually sat in the corner.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#39]
good, pizza hut is disgusting.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I just noticed ours closed down this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a feeling Little ceasars is putting the hurt on em all now... they are spreading like mad, and damn convinent
View Quote

That could be. We had LC years ago but it closed. Now it's back and has ridiculous deals. I don't really like them, but they must be doing a good bit of business with those prices.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It must either be nostalgia or newer brands and tastes making it look bad by comparison but back in the 80's as a kid, Pizza Hut was awesome.  Especially if you had a roll of quarters for their arcade games that usually sat in the corner.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you are totally correct. Its the modern day Pizza Hut thats all nasty. They changed up the way they make pizza a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Still going strong here, but its a college town.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Pizza Hut sit down restaurants have been closing down for years, they're mostly walk ins where you pick up your order these days.

It's funny, I grew up in the south side of Buffalo where there is a mom and pop pizza joint on just about every corner.  Going to that one Pizza Hut was considered a treat.  Now I'm surrounded by Pizza Hut/Dominos and I'd kill for the kinda pizza I took for granted back then.
View Quote

Yep. Buffalo is a good pizza town. La Nova, Leonardi's, Bocce,.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Buffet hemmorages profit. They are trimming out unprofitable stores and opening delco lites in their place. A new delivery /carryout store probably will pop up soon.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I hear that...probably THE best pizza style buffest in the history of man.  To answer OP's question, we've still got plenty of PIzza Huts around, but a good number have definitely closed.  Let's just say we've got a lot of old looking 'hut buildings' that are businesses of some sort, but they are definitely not serving pizza.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear that...probably THE best pizza style buffest in the history of man.  To answer OP's question, we've still got plenty of PIzza Huts around, but a good number have definitely closed.  Let's just say we've got a lot of old looking 'hut buildings' that are businesses of some sort, but they are definitely not serving pizza.

Those buildings are slowly vanishing due to fire. That roof structure, if any sort of grease fire happens, if it gets into the roof...place goes up in a minute. That whole "top" is hollow open wood frame, and becomes one massive draft chimney. One in Florida, two here did that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I did some work for a guy many years ago who owned a couple Pizza Huts in Indiana. This guy was rather high strung you could say. One day he proceeds to tell me that  a long time board member or higher up in corporate had abandoned ship for Papa Johns and that his deal with Papa included 20 plus franchise locations. Then he went on a tirade for 30 minutes about everything that ever happened to him at Pizza Hut, swore right then that Pizza Hut was doomed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw one the other day!  I wonder if it is any good??
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Not around here. You VA people have better taste.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#50]
The Pizza Hut here needs to fucking close.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top