Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/14/2013 9:00:58 PM EDT
Police reporting multiple dry ice bombs found in restricted areas of LAX.

http://ktla.com/2013/10/14/police-respond-to-report-of-suspicious-item-at-lax/#axzz2hlOaGLMS

Not sure if this qualifies as "breaking". How dangerous is a dry ice bomb?

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
No! Not ice!
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Apparently this is the second night in a row?

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#3]
When CO2 is outlawed, only outlaws will have CO2.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Ban ice!  For the children.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Dry ice or C4.. doesn't it concern you that there are items like this in prohibited areas?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
. How dangerous is a dry ice bomb?

View Quote

noisemakers mostly
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like a dry run by some of the cavemen

testing security
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#9]
This will just give them another reason to strip search grandma.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
noisemakers mostly
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

noisemakers mostly

You could lose some fingers if you were holding one when it went off, and they break windows pretty good.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You could lose some fingers if you were holding one when it went off, and they break windows pretty good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

noisemakers mostly

Yeah, but giving it any more credit is sort of like calling a bottle rocket a grenade.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Dry ice or C4.. doesn't it concern you that there are items like this in prohibited areas?
View Quote
Seems like it would be difficult to smuggle dry ice undetected.  Doesn't it smoke and also damage skin if it comes in contact?

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That depends on how you make it.  Can be anywhere from "stand ten feet away to be safe" to "better be 100 feet away, or behind something solid".

I know a guy who made a... "really good" one, and thought he was safe fifty feet away.  The scar on his chest was a good 6" long.  Sure, it's still pretty minor compared to what can be done with actual explosives, but it's certainly not something that you want people planting where innocent people will be.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Seems like it would be difficult to smuggle dry ice undetected.  Doesn't it smoke and also damage skin if it comes in contact?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Put it in a cooler and wear gloves.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, but giving it any more credit is sort of like calling a bottle rocket a grenade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

noisemakers mostly

Bottle rockets burn down houses.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This will just give them another reason to strip search grandma.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#17]
My 92 yr old grandma must be up to some shenanigans again.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Shit that would completely suck if one went off in a plane near your seat.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#19]
It appears from the live feed that the "devices" are in areas off limits to the public.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Dry Ice bombs can turn into something more sinister later on.  Or it could be someone that works there is trying to anonymously draw attention to some of the security shortcomings.  Either way, wonder if they're going to start requiring people to register the purchases of dry ice like they do the Sudafed??

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

All the potential targets are in the public areas. Al Qaeda doesn't want to bomb a pile of luggage.

Probably some prankster that works there.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess it should be alarming to anyone who didn't already know that many airport security measures are simply window dressing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#24]
A few years ago a Georgia Tech student faced federal WMD charges for detonating similar devices on campus.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Dry Ice bombs can turn into something more sinister later on.
View Quote

That's true.

Most experts consider dry ice bombs to be gateway explosives.

Oh, it all starts out innocent enough - First a few ounces of Pop Rocks in a water-filled aspirin bottle - then a box of Arm And Hammer in a quart of white vinegar...

Before you know it, you're on a street corner, broke and desperate, begging for spare change to buy a half pound of Tannerite...
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh no, I hope everyone gets out alive

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

testing security
View Quote

I call bullshit on the whole concept of "dry runs". That phrase smacks of .gov using every prank or incident they can find to justify their intrusive security apparatus by keeping the sheeple in terror mode.

[.gov] Look! Look! We discovered another dry run that proves we need to enhance security!!! [/.gov]

What's gained by doing something that alerts your enemy to holes in their defense? I understand why you do training but if you have the ability to smuggle bombs past your enemies defenses why give them a chance to fix it?

Anyone want to bet that the culprit was an idiot dropping water bottles with dry ice into trash cans. I wonder if their screening doesn't detect dry ice or if an employee had some LULZ.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I guess it should be alarming to anyone who didn't already know that many airport security measures are simply window dressing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough, but even as a dry run that's a pretty big "fuck you".
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's true.

Most experts consider dry Ice bombs to be gateway explosives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true.

Yup.  Next thing you know, they'll be lighting aluminum powder and iron oxide powder.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true.

Yup.
Phase change.
Exact same thing as the Chernobyl explosion.

They need to find this guy, and quickly.  We wouldn't want to see L.A. turned into Pripyat.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Breaking news; Possibility the ice bombs were tainted with vodka.

Seriously, my money is on a bored baggage handler.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

The Russians?  

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It appears from the live feed that the "devices" are in areas off limits to the public.  

View Quote

As if they bother to vet employees newly arrived from crapistans.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Amateur hour terrorism.  Probably some stupid fucking teenagers the government will crucify in a show trial and use to ban the sale of dry ice.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

I would venture the dry ice came from a catering company that supplies the in flight meals and a couple of young employees had some down time.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm testing out some Tito's on ice right now, so far no explosions.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#39]
SCARY! DRY ICE "BOMBS"! I hope they don't shake up all the cans of Coke, too.

Terrorist 5th graders.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

noisemakers mostly

So do candles. And lightbulbs. OMFGWTFBBQ WE'RE FUCKED SAVE US TSA/NSA/FEMA/USPS!
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Two things:

1) I am of the opinion that a plastic bottle filled with dry ice does not qualify to be called a "device" and
2) When exactly did it become fashionable to use the term "nexus to terrorism"?  Heard it a few times of late (also the DC car shooting).  It used to be "connection to terrorism."  Is Nexus now cooler and more official sounding?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I'm testing out some Tito's on ice right now, so far no explosions.
View Quote
I'm into a couple of Moscow Mules with Tito's right now.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Two things:

1) I am of the opinion that a plastic bottle filled with dry ice does not qualify to be called a "device" and

2) When exactly did it become fashionable to use the term "nexus to terrorism"?  Heard it a few times of late (also the DC car shooting).  It used to be "connection to terrorism."  Is Nexus now cooler and more official sounding?
View Quote

Nexus is the legalese version of the same thing. Just like border patrol and customs derive their authority via "border nexus".

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Two things:

View Quote

You Nexus, eh? I design your eyes...

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not particularly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I call bullshit on the whole concept of "dry runs". That phrase smacks of .gov using every prank or incident they can find to justify their intrusive security apparatus by keeping the sheeple in terror mode.

[.gov] Look! Look! We discovered another dry run that proves we need to enhance security!!! [/.gov]

What's gained by doing something that alerts your enemy to holes in their defense? I understand why you do training but if you have the ability to smuggle bombs past your enemies defenses why give them a chance to fix it?

Anyone want to bet that the culprit was an idiot dropping water bottles with dry ice into trash cans. I wonder if their screening doesn't detect dry ice or if an employee had some LULZ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

testing security

I guess so, makes sense

when then figure out who the culprit is, that guy is going to be in HUGE HUGE trouble

like going to federal prison

the airline industry is worth diamonds and gold and they DO NOT fuck around with that revenue stream.

the airlines pull down some massive amount of money, like 5% of GDP, of which 75% is passenger traffic

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's true.

Oh, it all starts out innocent enough - First a few ounces of Pop Rocks in a water-filled aspirin bottle - then a box of Arm And Hammer in a quart of white vinegar...

Before you know it, you're on a street corner, broke and desperate, begging for spare change to buy a half pound of Tannerite...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true.

Yup.  That's about the way it works!  
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not particularly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not particularly.

Why not? They are obviously two sides of the same coin.
I'll bet you'd care if someone was popping balloons near an aircraft!
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

noisemakers mostly

I wouldn't know anything about that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Police reporting multiple dry ice bombs found in restricted areas of LAX.

http://ktla.com/2013/10/14/police-respond-to-report-of-suspicious-item-at-lax/#axzz2hlOaGLMS

View Quote

never heard of anyone using it like that. The gas expanding will make a loud pop with a plastic soda bottle, but never heard of anything beyond noise.

Seriously getting ridiculous fast. Soon farting in public will be an arrestable offense.  (maybe it should be ).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top