Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is that Kip from Napoleon Dynamite??

http://www.zuguide.com/image/Aaron-Ruell-Napoleon-Dynamite.3.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Erhmy gave me PI flashbacks. My FIL, who is USMC Ret., 2 tours in Nam and a DI, said that Erhmy acted just like him. My wife agrees. She won't watch FMJ with me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Your mom went to college.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think I'm going to build her a cake or something.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#6]
"What side was that, Private Pyle?"

"Then you did that on purpose!"

I've always loved how no answer can be the right answer. I've always wondered if they train DI's to be that quick witted with the comebacks, or if it's innate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The first half of the film was great.

The Vietnam part, not so much.
View Quote

Yeah no, not even close at all.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#9]
My favorite line:

You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian shit!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/TCNqKrX1sx8

Punishment......and motivation.
View Quote

We had a guy when I went through "basic" who was a total shit magnet... A lightning rod... A superconductor.  Everywhere we went, the cadre would yell "CHUBBS!  WHERE'S CHUBBS?". You'd hear this meek voice from the back of the formation,  "Sir, I am here!"

"CHUBBS!  WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?"

Again, with the meek voice, "Sir, I scored a fourteen hundred on the scholastic aptitude test!"

We almost gave him a blanket party one night.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've always loved how no answer can be the right answer. I've always wondered if they train DI's to be that quick witted with the comebacks, or if it's innate.

After you're in basic a while(once you stop being terrified of them), you realize that some of the drill instructors are truly gifted actors. They all have routines worked out and have got a lot of practice harassing new joes.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

???  Thought the movie was based on "The Short-Timers" by Gustav Hasford?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Loved the movie, mainly because I'm a huge fan of the book that it's (mostly) based on.  So many of the scenes, after the boot camp portion, are almost word for word.

If anyone's interested:  http://www.amazon.com/Dispatches-Michael-Herr/dp/0679735259

???  Thought the movie was based on "The Short-Timers" by Gustav Hasford?

It is.

There are also some things lifted from a book called "Run between the raindrops"  
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Who said that? Who the fuck said that? Who's the slimy little communist shit, twinkle-toed c**k sucker down here who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh? The fairy fucking godmother said it. Out-fucking-standing! I will PT you all until you fucking die! I'll PT you until your assholes are sucking buttermilk!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember having to explain a quote to my buddy at work. He would quote the guy in the chopper. I don't remember it exactly, but it is along the lines of killing women and children. The part where he said it was easy, you don't lead them as much. After I explained how you have to lead a shot on a moving target, but women and children don't run as fast, so you don't have to lead them as much, his face was priceless.

Anyone who runs is a VC. Anyone who stands still is a well disciplined VC.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Who said that? Who the fuck said that? Who's the slimy little communist shit, twinkle-toed c**k sucker down here who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh? The fairy fucking godmother said it. Out-fucking-standing! I will PT you all until you fucking die! I'll PT you until your assholes are sucking buttermilk!
View Quote

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Pyle, Private Joker is your new squad leader, and you WILL bunk with him! He'll teach you everything; he'll teach you how to pee!

Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, aye aye, sir!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Joker, he's silly and he's ignorant, but he's got guts and guts is enough. Now you two ladies carry on!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He also did a lot of the running scenes with a bunch of broken ribs, courtesy of a Jeep accident. A tough motherfucker...

His audition tape featured him howling verbal abuse at an imagined line of recruits for a solid fifteen minutes as oranges and tennis balls are thrown at him. He never broke character or repeated himself.
View Quote

I would pay.to see that tape
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Concur.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I remember having to explain a quote to my buddy at work. He would quote the guy in the chopper. I don't remember it exactly, but it is along the lines of killing women and children. The part where he said it was easy, you don't lead them as much. After I explained how you have to lead a shot on a moving target, but women and children don't run as fast, so you don't have to lead them as much, his face was priceless.

Anyone who runs is a VC. Anyone who stands still is a well disciplined VC.
View Quote

I would loved to have seen the look on his face!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Concur.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concur.

I dunno.  As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate the second half of the movie more.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has seen the first half of the movie more times than the second half . I wouldn't say I dislike the second half, but between R. Lee Ermey being R. Lee Ermey and Private Pyle slowly going crazy, the first half is epic.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Is your name Lawrence??

Seriously... Am I the 1st to ask that??

ETA: I'm prior Navy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#22]
DOORGUNNER: Anyone who runs is a V.C. Anyone who stands still is a well-disciplined V.C. You guys oughta do a story about me sometime.

JOKER: Why should we do a story about you?

DOORGUNNER: 'Cause I'm so fucking good! That ain't no shit neither. I've done got me one hundred and fifty-seven dead gooks killed. And fifty water buffaloes, too. Them're all certified.

JOKER: Any women or children?

DOORGUNNER: Sometimes.

JOKER: How can you shoot women and children?

DOORGUNNER: Easy. You just don't lead 'em so much. Ain't war hell?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The first half of the film was great. with R Lee

The Vietnam part, not so  pretty much sucked.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I caught the last half of this movie last night, and noticed something I want to ask about:

The second squad leader (the guy who takes command after the LT gets hit) seems to be carrying a lever action rifle on his pack... what in the world is up with that?

this guy, this gun...

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/b/b7/FMJ-2.jpg/601px-FMJ-2.jpg
View Quote

I think it was referred to in the book that it was a pellet gun he shot rats with!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has seen the first half of the movie more times than the second half . I wouldn't say I dislike the second half, but between R. Lee Ermey being R. Lee Ermey and Private Pyle slowly going crazy, the first half is epic.
View Quote

Nope.....you're not alone.

I must have seen the first half 20 or 25 times. I've seen the second maybe 5 or 6 times.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#26]

That a shadow or a Hitlerstasche?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#27]

HWhat we have heah, my little yellah sistah, is a prime example of Alabama Blacksnake...but it ain't too goddamned beaucoup!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I like the whole fucking movie.  Sorry if you don't.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Erhmy gave me PI flashbacks. My FIL, who is USMC Ret., 2 tours in Nam and a DI, said that Erhmy acted just like him. My wife agrees. She won't watch FMJ with me.
View Quote

Me too. I was there in '77. Every time I watch it I just grin REAL wide because every line, every syllable, every nuance is the real deal. The only difference in my experience was there was NO public abuse of recruits. That's not to say one or two shitbirds didn't get "counseled" in the shower, out of sight of the rest of the platoon. Otherwise, it was spot-on.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Why the hate for the Vietnam sequence?
I thought it was pretty good.

The Boot Camp part was epic, though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#31]
What is this Mickey Mouse shit?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#32]

The best part was when Gump had to show private pyle how to properly put the sticker on the window without the plastic cling paper.

Fucking movie nailed it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I like the whole fucking movie.  Sorry if you don't.
View Quote

Me too. I don't think it ever lets up. I think the second part is better then the first part of it.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He carries and uses an M16, but he also carries around the cowboy gun.  Kubrick isn't exactly known for letting minute details happen accidentally, I wonder what the story behind the levergun is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the one that carried a BB gun?

He carries and uses an M16, but he also carries around the cowboy gun.  Kubrick isn't exactly known for letting minute details happen accidentally, I wonder what the story behind the levergun is.

I THINK that was in the book. The Short Timers by Gustav Howard. That's the book that FMJ is based off of.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Are you a peter puffer.....do you suck dicks
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#36]
God has a hardon for Marines because we kill everything we see.
He plays his games, we play ours.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#37]
You climb obstacles like old people fuck.
No boom boom with soul brother.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:27:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

It just comes with the job.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:59:52 AM EDT
[#39]
"Trade you some AVRN riifles . . . never fired, only dropped once."
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:07:19 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Why the hate for the Vietnam sequence?

I thought it was pretty good.

The Boot Camp part was epic, though.
View Quote

I think people either dont know or fail to realize it is a Kubrick movie.

He is all about the atmosphere and music, which he does exceptionally well.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:08:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The best part was when Gump had to show private pyle how to properly put the sticker on the window without the plastic cling paper.
Fucking movie nailed it.
View Quote

No no, that was in slingblade.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:17:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are well trained and some do rehearse and plan things out. My FIL, as I said was a DI, and we have talked at length. When he picked up a new platoon, he would get 10-12 buddies to come over for the "meet and greet". I thought it was hell with 3 DIs. I can't imagine 10-12 running barking orders and screaming. The Series Commander walked in one day, let them finish and pulled him in the DI hut and made him stop.

Than man has stories...He was a DI in the mid-late 60s. Yes, he thumped recruits. They sent him to MTU to mellow him out. He did 2 twos in Nam, including Tet. I truly believe he was trying to weed out non-hackers to keep them from getting killed in Vietnam.
Sammich maker says he was one tough SOB to have for a Dad. I can see it. Her brother joined the Navy, which I think disappointed him a little. I get mad props from him for being a Jarhead.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Does this mean that Anne Margaret is not coming

Hey, I won't be long...I'll skip the foreplay

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:06:03 AM EDT
[#44]
"Your rifle is only a tool, it is the hard heart that kills."
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:21:19 AM EDT
[#45]
As well as the great lines I like the scenes where Pyle is sitting on the crates sucking his thumb and the rest of the platoon are doing suicide drills or following everyone else with his pants around his ankles and holding his rifle over the shoulder by the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:28:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I caught the last half of this movie last night, and noticed something I want to ask about:

The second squad leader (the guy who takes command after the LT gets hit) seems to be carrying a lever action rifle on his pack... what in the world is up with that?

this guy, this gun...

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/b/b7/FMJ-2.jpg/601px-FMJ-2.jpg
View Quote

Happy birthday Zipperhead.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:31:11 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:37:52 AM EDT
[#48]
My fav vietnam era movies in this order:

Deer Hunter
Platoon
Apocalypse Now
We were soldiers
Full Metal Jacket

They all look very good. FMJ is great, but it's disturbing comedy genre. Sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Man, it looks good on bluray. The second part is disturbing enough.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:49:44 AM EDT
[#49]
God has a hard on for Marines........
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

My fav vietnam era movies in this order:

Deer Hunter

Platoon

Apocalypse Now

We were soldiers

Full Metal Jacket

They all look very good. FMJ is great, but it's disturbing comedy genre. Sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Man, it looks good on bluray. The second part is disturbing enough.

View Quote

Hamburger Hill

84 Charlie MoPic

Tour of Duty (not a movie, but most DEFINITELY deserves an honorable mention)

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top