BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/11/2013 10:49:33 AM EDT
China Unveils New AWACS
AVwebFlash
November 11, 2013

The Chinese military has offered a glimpse of its new advance warning and control system (AWACS) aircraft.
The KJ-500 is an adaptation of the Shanxi Y-9 cargo plane, a four-engine turboprop with a configuration similar to that of the C-130 Hercules.
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/China-Unveils-New-AWACS220950-1.html

The Base Leg Blog
Thursday, Nov 7, 2013

New photos of China's new KJ-500 AEW emerge
More photos have emerged of the prototype KJ-500 Airborne Early Warning Aircraft. The new aircraft is based on the Shaanxi Y-9 turboprop transport, and features a fixed rotodome on the top fuselage, reportedly housing 3 Active Electronically Scanned Array radars providing 360° coverage.
http://thebaseleg.blogspot.com/2013/11/new-photos-of-chinas-new-kj-500-aew.html

Chinese Military Aircraft
Surveillance Aircraft II

At least two KJ-500 prototypes were constructed by late 2013. KJ-500 is speculated to be in the same class of KJ-2000 in terms of AEW capability and is expected to replace KJ-200.
http://chinese-military-aviation.blogspot.com/p/surveillance-aircraft-ii.html
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I bet them capturing a few of our planes over the years, has helped with this.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Who's betting the Radome isn't shielded, so all those 'brave soldiers of the Revolution' will shortly end up with Testicular Cancer and brain damage from being microwaved in their flying whirlygig tin-can?
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#4]
You think they used CHINESE ball bearings, or did they IMPORT critical parts  ?
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#5]
looks derpy
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do they ever do anything original?
View Quote

why bother, build something 90% as good for half the cost and just build a bunch more of them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

nocat jpeg
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can get decent kit in China, you just have to pay a lot more for it and audit them constantly. Ok, nevermind, the bearings are probably from Taiwan....
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Based on the Anatov An-12 - a "newish" Chinese design copied from the Russians original design of 1957...

Technology from...  

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Hope it flies better than what the Iranians got

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
why bother, build something 90% as good for half the cost and just build a bunch more of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Logistics by Wal-Mart?

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxLsMtmZ4VU
View Quote

Splash one!
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its TAPE!
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

In this case the basic design works.
One only needs a suitable aircraft and then the radar / electronics.

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was pure and simple pilot error, it had nothing to do with the design of the aircraft.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Chinese junk
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Achmed and Saliiiiiiiimmmm!

Cracks me up every time I see it.

In last weeks episode, Achmed and Salim blow up a bus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXMIQDVOs98
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You don't think the Chinese are a world-class electronics manufacturer? Hell, 1/4 of the EEs at my company are from China and let me tell you: They're not working here because they're stupid. And who do you think is assembling all these fancy electronics gadgets like iPhones?

If you think the Chinese are incapable of building good stuff, you are sorely mistaken.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chinese junk

You don't think the Chinese are a world-class electronics manufacturer? Hell, 1/4 of the EEs at my company are from China and let me tell you: They're not working here because they're stupid. And who do you think is assembling all these fancy electronics gadgets like iPhones?

If you think the Chinese are incapable of building good stuff, you are sorely mistaken.

My personal belief is that the only thing holding them back is busines ethics. Until get around the 'conflict of interest' thing they will continue to be contract manufacturers.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#20]
This it?

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Only a matter of time until they had their own EW plane, with our intel leaks, captured planes and Chinese espionage.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainan_Island_incident Clinton's fault the beginning of the red encroachment to American world military might.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chinese junk

Most of the time any worker that does a good job, gets promoted to management. Once there, they no longer contribute to the design process. It is few and far between that I see any competent engineers in working mainland China.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder how well they work. I would assume they could keep an eye on Taiwan, etc.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

They invented noodles and gun powder.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bet them capturing a few of our planes over the years, has helped with this.
View Quote

It's all fun and games until someone loses a collection platform.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

American Capitalist pigs lie!!!!!!!!  That was Rodan being shot down by brave Iranian Fighter pilots from the Monster Fighting Organization Squadron.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chinese junk

They may be capable of producing quality but they often don't. They produce a ton of cheap and often counterfeit junk.

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#28]

If you bothered to go to the links I provided you would see that image.    
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I already have enough tabs open! We need pics man. Like instant access.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Not to be racisss...but it's yellow
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Beg, borrow, buy or steal, that's the chicom way.
Not an original idea or design in the billion of them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Well that's not gonna fit on the shelf at Walmart.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#34]
QFT

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chinese junk

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#35]
AWACS do you little good if you can't protect them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chinese junk

Yup, what comes from China is only as good as the designer of said product. Apple isn't going to let their Chinese manufacturing plant, release junk iPhones. Much higher QA standard. We see crap from China because that is what the consumer wants. Cheap crap. But there are exceptions, many exceptions.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Why a circular radome if you are using aesa radars?  That is just poor packaging.  

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yup, what comes from China is only as good as the designer of said product. Apple isn't going to let their Chinese manufacturing plant, release junk iPhones. Much higher QA standard. We see crap from China because that is what the consumer wants. Cheap crap. But there are exceptions, many exceptions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chinese junk

Apple and many other manufacturers keep a tight leash on all of their vendors with on-site quality and development engineers
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Might not be quite as good as our AWACS, but if they always have another that is the difference.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I already have enough tabs open! We need pics man. Like instant access.
View Quote

Sorry, I am full of fail and fuck.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh come on, this is the one time it doesn't count. A plane of this type is like saying the Chinese copied the automobile because theirs also have 4 wheels and a steering wheel.

It's a flying radar station, what other type of aircraft could you mount a dish that large onto? Every country wants an AWACS, barely any can afford one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why a circular radome if you are using aesa radars?  That is just poor packaging.  
http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_737_Wedgetail_Over_Sydney_lg.jpg
View Quote

The Chinese already have a wedgetail type AWACS.

The Y-8W / KJ-200 Balanced Beam airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) uses a dual-sided Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) array housed in a dorsal 'plank' fairing which is mounted on the top of a modified Y-8F-600 Category III Platform with JL-4 6-blade propellers.

Damn Chinese copied our blue porta pottie design too.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And I'm pretty sure the PLA will as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chinese junk

Apple and many other manufacturers keep a tight leash on all of their vendors with on-site quality and development engineers

And I'm pretty sure the PLA will as well.

Unlike Apple, the PLA can shoot people for fuckups.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I'd be willing to bet their military doesn't get cheap counterfeit junk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They may be capable of producing quality but they often don't. They produce a ton of cheap and often counterfeit junk.  

I'd be willing to bet their military doesn't get cheap counterfeit junk.

I'm sure they get the good stuff, but I know I have gotten a lot of the junk.

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
That was pure and simple pilot error, it had nothing to do with the design of the aircraft.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What happened?  All I can see is the aircraft tumbling out of the sky - what did the pilot do that lead up to that?
-K
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Not like it'll be anywhere on par with ours.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top