Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2013 11:25:48 PM EDT
I see often. "TAN" and "coyote TAN" offered by makers. some call it TAN, other Coyote TAN, and some FDE. I know Coyote Brown is darker kindove reddish chocolate.

But is "FDE, TAN, COYOTE Tan" the same thing just called different things by manufacturers?

Also 5.11 gear seem to have a proprietary color?

EDIT: Forgot to add KHAKI.

edit 2: Some manufactuerers call something just simply "Coyote" nither TAN or BROWN. just "coyote"

edit 3 "desert tan"

added question. Is "tan" an army contract color, and Coyote brown a Marine contract color?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Many manufacturers have different versions of a color but they call it the same thing. Depends on where they get their fabric, paint, plastic, etc.

Personally I don't really care, since I'm not too concerned about matching
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Its all variations of tan established by different tacticool suppliers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Just give in and come to the Multicam side.  We have cookies.  Ignore the Kryptec kiddies, they only have brownies (not the magical kind).
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

For example. If ordering from, Tactical tailor, SKD, Esstac etc. Familiar supppliers. Tan or whatnot wont be variated as extreme as this?

pulled this off google.

mag pouches seem tan. Vest seems like a pale sand color. Do manufacturers call that "tan"?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just give in and come to the Multicam side.  We have cookies.  Ignore the Kryptec kiddies, they only have brownies (not the magical kind).
View Quote

I did, I'm just having a hard time finding a chest rig that I personally like to fit for me that's in Multicam.
I started a thread in the tactical gear section looking for a Chest rig, Like this.

It's the layout i want. pretty simple. Integrrated mag pouches with bungie, single stack not two. so its pretty low profile/build in. The problem i have with the Condor, Are those front webbing strips. They seem flimsy. it's fabric folded to mimic a nylon webbing. so I can imagine putting a pouch with some stuff with rip it clean off.

I want that layout. it's 35 bucks on amazon for the tan one. $60 for teh Multicam. But. It's Condor.

Observce the webbing difference on teh tan one.

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Esstac makes what you want I think.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Esstac makes what you want I think.
View Quote

Esstac line i havel ooked at on SKD look somewhat buly for just 4 mags. or they have a zipper deal up the front.

Just checked again on their main site. 8 mags, but they have an inch between them. making the whole wrap around HUGE.

Think more this size.

I could easily ad two puches on each side there. bring it up to 6.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Ranger Green is a better color, imo.  I'd like to see more gear in RG.

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doesn't really go with my multicam.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno, I think it goes pretty well with MC.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:13:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just checked again on their main site. 8 mags, but they have an inch between them. making the whole wrap around HUGE.
View Quote

The spacing is roughly the same as what you have pictured, 3.25" V the pictured 3" (per pocket)with a slight gap in the center on a full and more for a split

The 6mag is better comparable to what you have pictured also
SKD
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Something like what you posted, in stock:

http://www.optactical.com/atsm4mochha.html

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#13]
It's all marketing, 12er.  Just use what you like.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's all marketing, 12er.  Just use what you like.
View Quote

so its the same shit?

Check out the huge color difference between that armor carrier and the rig. Is that on par?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:22:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Anybody have "tan" or "coyote brown" gear?
Also, is Coyote Brown trademarked just like marpat is?

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Who FUCKING cares?

Do you want a color coordinated handbag too?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Who FUCKING cares?

View Quote

You mean shooting bag? Of course.

I want multicam though.

for a serious question. Why do guys buy Multicam gear. or Kryptek gear? Is there something wrong with having a preference?
Or what about someone asking about particular tones on cerecoatbefore he starts dropping several hundred dollars. Looks a certain tone online. but up close different. it matters. Cause shit isnt cheap.

Do you buy a car and say "who fucking cares" about the color?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:36:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who FUCKING cares?

Are you an interior decorator by day?

Buy your items in a random mix of coyote, muticam, OD and ATACs. Stick it all together. Guess what... You will blend in just as well in 70% of the US as the airsofter wearing 100% matching Ultra Light Dark Flat Coyote Coffee #17497 head to toe. The only places it will be worse, a mix of tans would be fine.

You're in freaking Florida. Outside of the cities, tans are probably not the best color choice anyway.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Buy your items in a random mix of coyote, muticam, OD and ATACs. Stick it all together. Guess what... You will blend in just as well in 70% of the US as the airsofter wearing 100% matching Ultra Light Dark Flat Coyote Coffee #17497 head to toe. The only places it will be worse, a mix of tans would be fine.

You're in freaking Florida. Outside of the cities, tans are probably not the best color choice anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who FUCKING cares?

Why are you so worked up over what color gear i want? I thought the kryptek guys were bad.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I want multicam though.

for a serious question. Why do guys buy Multicam gear. or Kryptek gear? Is there something wrong with having a preference?
Or what about someone asking about particular tones on cerebrate before he starts dropping several hundred dollars. Looks a certain tone online. but up close different. it matters. Cause shit isnt cheap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who FUCKING cares?

I want multicam though.

Or what about someone asking about particular tones on cerebrate before he starts dropping several hundred dollars. Looks a certain tone online. but up close different. it matters. Cause shit isnt cheap.

Yup. Repeatedly. If it isn't pink or some other pimping color, I don't give a fuck. It's function that matters.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yup. Repeatedly. If it isn't pink or some other pimping color, I don't give a fuck. It's function that matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who FUCKING cares?

I want multicam though.

Well that's you.

We don't have to turn this into a religious argument.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:41:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Marine Coyote is also known as Mojave Olive.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is Marine Coyote/brown/mojave ad USMC specific color, just like Marpat is?

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:44:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why are you so worked up over what color gear i want? I thought the kryptek guys were bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who FUCKING cares?

It indicates misplaced priorities.

You also asked for opinions in GD.

Do whatever you want. My opinion is that perfect color match is not only unneeded but undesirable (creates a giant, unbroken silhouette).
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:47:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Do whatever you want. My opinion is that perfect color match is not only unneeded but undesirable (creates a giant, unbroken silhouette).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who FUCKING cares?

I never said i wanted a perfect color match. I'm just looking for a General area. I'm asking what those COLORS are. I have no fucking idea. I dont know if "desert" is closer to white, or  "coyote tan "closer to brown. It's a pretty big variation. I'm trying to figure what it is.

I don't want to spend $500 in gear to find out. I'm not made of money.

Like i said earlier. I want MC, but the gear i want may be limited and the closest thing would be limited to Tan, brown, wahtever blends with MC.

what's the army using? Tan? Brown? Multicam? their vests seem to blend very well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:49:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it's the brown in MCCUUs,the color our boots, all our body and load bearing equipment
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:50:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes, it's the brown in MCCUUs,the color our boots, all our body and load bearing equipment
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank's, that clears up that up.

Is "tan" to the Army what "Mojave" is to the Marines?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I never said i wanted a perfect color match. I'm just looking for a General area. I'm asking what those COLORS are. I have no fucking idea. I dont know if "desert" is closer to white, or  "coyote tan "closer to brown. It's a pretty big variation. I'm trying to figure what it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zero stores in your area that carry decent gear?

Here's what sucks for you: Even colors that are supposed to be the same vary insanely brand to brand. Half the people who make the stuff don't even know the differences. No one who sells it does.

The exception are color schemes where are the material, across brands, must come from the same source. Multicam and similar protected patterns are an example.

If there's a specific brand you are looking at, name it. If I have a small useless piece of crap from them (likely), I'll mail it to you for evaluation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#29]
This article might help you:
http://www.hyperstealth.com/coyote/index.html

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Zero stores in my area carry dick. The local surplus shop scares people away, which makes me think it's a front for something else. Since's hes had the same chinese copy of shit since the 1990's gathering dust.

I can find ERDL vietnam crap in there. but nothing in tan, od, or ACU. theres woodland gear, but their torn up. missing straps and buttons, velcro. etc.

if multicam is off color, its okay. Its a pattern. I'm more concerned about solid colors. since its a giant swath of the same color. How different can MC variate anyway?

And I don't want  you wasting money shipping me things, a pic of said color "tans" vared layed over multicam is fine enough. are particular brands more  lighter than others? Or is it pretty much a giant free for all of Tan? ex. TT will run a dark run of gear, then  light. Then Firstspear runs a lighter tan, then dark. vice versa and changes? two vests,pouches from the same brand will vary?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:12:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Zero stores in my area carry dick. The local surplus shop scares people away, which makes me think it's a front for something else. Since's hes had the same chinese copy of shit since the 1990's gathering dust.

I can find ERDL vietnam crap in there. but nothing in tan, od, or ACU. theres woodland gear, but their torn up. missing straps and buttons, velcro. etc.

if multicam is off color, its okay. Its a pattern. I'm more concerned about solid colors. since its a giant swath of the same color. How different can MC variate anyway?

And I don't want  you wasting money shipping me things, a pic of said color "tans" vared layed over multicam is fine enough. are particular brands more  lighter than others? Or is it pretty much a giant free for all of Tan? ex. TT will run a dark run of gear, then  light. Then Firstspear runs a lighter tan, then dark. vice versa and changes? two vests,pouches from the same brand will vary?
View Quote

I'll gather some crap for comparison tomorrow night. However, pictures don't really help without a reference. You can compare the items in the picture, but it does not accurately reflect against things not in the same picture. Details like lighting, color balance and wizardry.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:15:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

this is cool.

This caught my eye.

according to this. Tan 499 is what sopposed to be "tan"

and "coyote tan" is just another name for "coyote brown" etc.

so this seperates Coyote Tan, with Coyote brown away from "eagle Khaki, Tan," etc.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:16:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'll gather some crap for comparison tomorrow night. However, pictures don't really help without a reference. You can compare the items in the picture, but it does not accurately reflect against things not in the same picture. Details like lighting, color balance and wizardry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're a real wizard?

And that's alright i guess. I'm going to be rolling the dice anyway when I buy tan gear anyway right? I just want to see it layed over MC.

Example.

This is "tan"?

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:18:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
this is cool.

This caught my eye.

http://www.hyperstealth.com/coyote/P1020527.jpg

so this seperates Coyote Tan, with Coyote brown away from "eagle Khaki, Tan," etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this is cool.

This caught my eye.

Probably be good to read all of the articles linked there about the US Army camo trials.  Lots of good info about camouflage and how it works, both in the visual and IR spectrums.

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:20:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Probably be good to read all of the articles linked there about the US Army camo trials.  Lots of good info about camouflage and how it works, both in the visual and IR spectrums.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is cool.

This caught my eye.

Yeah, according to this Tan is better under IR than CB. but CB is better in visual spetrum than Tan. somewhat.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:47:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Who FUCKING cares?

View Quote

It's NOT a purse! its a European shoulder bag!
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 3:11:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Is it arf fashion week again?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 3:29:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is no standard "tan' for the Army.

Currently all official issued gear for the Army matches their pattern, either UCP or multicam depending what they are issued.  Before that it was all woodland or 3-color desert patterned.

In the realm of the commercial gear market, every manufacturer has their own "tan" color, they may use any of the goofy names: coyote tan, camel tan, desrt tan, tan, khaki, FDE, etc.  There is no standard or metric to compare them by their name really.

Coyote brown is a bit more complex.  There is an official coyote brown as used by the Marines, as stated above its the brown color used in MARPAT and is the color all their issued gear is made in.  However, on the secondary market, gear manufactures will also sometimes offer stuff that they call "coyote brown" and it might not be exactly right but rather just close to official CB.

At the end of the day, if color coordination in your gear is that important to you, you'll have to just order everything from one manufacturer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#39]
SKD has the first two in stock in Multicam

Viking tactics VTAC Molle chest rig

Esstac Trim Bush
The Kywi mag retention system is awesome, you can get bungies separately if you really think you want them.

ATS M4 modular (Multicam not in stock, but you can setup SKD to email you when it comes in.)
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 4:28:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

For example. If ordering from, Tactical tailor, SKD, Esstac etc. Familiar supppliers. Tan or whatnot wont be variated as extreme as this?

pulled this off google.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af74/Mr-Schnabel/Gear/008-1.jpg

mag pouches seem tan. Vest seems like a pale sand color. Do manufacturers call that "tan"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pulled this off google.

The dude who operates that vest must be involved in some heavy duty shit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pulled this off google.

Or has never had to walk anywhere.  Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Pink = air force
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Currently all official issued gear for the Army matches their pattern, either UCP or multicam depending what they are issued.  Before that it was all woodland or 3-color desert patterned.

In the realm of the commercial gear market, every manufacturer has their own "tan" color, they may use any of the goofy names: coyote tan, camel tan, desrt tan, tan, khaki, FDE, etc.  There is no standard or metric to compare them by their name really.

Coyote brown is a bit more complex.  There is an official coyote brown as used by the Marines, as stated above its the brown color used in MARPAT and is the color all their issued gear is made in.  However, on the secondary market, gear manufactures will also sometimes offer stuff that they call "coyote brown" and it might not be exactly right but rather just close to official CB.

At the end of the day, if color coordination in your gear is that important to you, you'll have to just order everything from one manufacturer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Army does issue tan vests. There's even someone here who showed his himself in his LBT chest rig in some sort of tan, issued. Is that to say it's just, grabbed off the shelf whatever tan color it happens to be by the army?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Army does issue tan vests. There's even someone here who showed his himself in his LBT chest rig in some sort of tan, issued. Is that to say it's just, grabbed off the shelf whatever tan color it happens to be by the army?
View Quote

If someone is issued a tan vest, it is not a general issue item by big Army.  Its was a personal purchase or a unit level purchase.  All of the "USGI" gear that is issued Army-wide is patterned in UCP or MC.  That said, if its a unit level procurement, then yes its a "grab off the shelf" type situation and there is no standard.  Just has to be approved by your command.  That's why you see the high-speed types with all sorts of colors and manufactures, they have much more relaxed standards and can get non-issue gear on the Army's dime.  More conventional units are usually more restricted to the USGI stuff.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If someone is issued a tan vest, it is not a general issue item by big Army.  Its was a personal purchase or a unit level purchase.  All of the "USGI" gear that is issued Army-wide is patterned in UCP or MC.  That said, if its a unit level procurement, then yes its a "grab off the shelf" type situation and there is no standard.  Just has to be approved by your command.  That's why you see the high-speed types with all sorts of colors and manufactures, they have much more relaxed standards and can get non-issue gear on the Army's dime.  More conventional units are usually more restricted to the USGI stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#46]
More conventional units are restricted to certain items.  I can wear an Army issued IOTV or IBA.  I am prohibited by the BDE CDR from wearing an issue plate carrier.

Similarly, I am required to wear all the additional bits and pieces that bolt on to the IOTV, because someone, somewhere, read an email from a guy they knew, that heard about a guy whose life was saved when his kevlar throat yoke slowed down a bullet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I see often. "TAN" and "coyote TAN" offered by makers. some call it TAN, other Coyote TAN, and some FDE. I know Coyote Brown is darker kindove reddish chocolate.

But is "FDE, TAN, COYOTE Tan" the same thing just called different things by manufacturers?

Also 5.11 gear seem to have a proprietary color?

EDIT: Forgot to add KHAKI.

edit 2: Some manufactuerers call something just simply "Coyote" nither TAN or BROWN. just "coyote"

edit 3 "desert tan"

added question. Is "tan" an army contract color, and Coyote brown a Marine contract color?
View Quote

I don't know about their gear, but 5.11 has the gayest green pants I've seen since my lime green Saddlebred slacks from 1982.  Definitely not olive drab.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I have tan/coyote/FDE/whatever the fuck color you want to call it, all from the same manufacturer, and almost none of it matches.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have tan/coyote/FDE/whatever the fuck color you want to call it, all from the same manufacturer, and almost none of it matches.
View Quote

the same manufacturer carries all of the above. Or are you saying their Tan doesnt match their other tan labled gear?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While big army doesn't issue tan vests SOCOM does.  It's the eagle color though, a bit more green than most of the other tan's.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top