Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2013 7:58:56 PM EDT
Had a conversation with a buddy from Minnesota about using a FAL for hunting and his response was....While I have used em in the past I use a 308 bolt gun.
So I asked him if they are better just as range guns and his response was.........Well If I had one this time around I would have come home with a Elk.

I was thinking some about it....Do you think a FAL would make a decent hunting rifle or stick with bolt guns?....I want something with some thump to it so it's 308 no matter what I do.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure it will do a great job at making things dead.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't that a dude shooting a Garand in your avatar?

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't see why it matters what kind of gun.  .308 is .308.  Use whatever you like best and shoot the best.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Isn't that a dude shooting a Garand in your avatar?

View Quote
I like the M1.....I like the FAL more

Honestly If I took a Garand hunting I'd be worried about jacking it up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the DSA dust cover rail
Get an optic for the FAL
Kill shit
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
If I go hunting Im going to use my FAL ...... I need to pick up a 5 rd mag for mine though . In Va your limited on capacity when hunting .
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Get an optic for the FAL

Kill shit
View Quote
What kind of optic? Seems like the ones designed for the FAL are well a lil expensive.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]
FAL

because fuck Fudds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If I go hunting Im going to use my FAL ...... I need to pick up a 5 rd mag for mine though . In Va your limited on capacity when hunting .
View Quote
Colorado too I believe.

I have a STG58 I am building in the spring I am planning on using as my hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Works just fine for hunting

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
What kind of hole did it leave on that yote?

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Are we talking tree stand "hunting" or what I sure as he'll wouldn't want to lug a FAL up in some mountains or something
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Are we talking tree stand "hunting" or what I sure as he'll wouldn't want to lug a FAL up in some mountains or something
View Quote
Either or.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hard to see in that pic but it took the right side of his head off
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What kind of optic? Seems like the ones designed for the FAL are well a lil expensive.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get an optic for the FAL
Kill shit

I'm not going to lie; I've had trouble in this area myself.  As you can see in my avatar I was optic-less at the time.

I've bought several including optics "designed for the FAL" including the ELCAN and Trilux.  More than likely I'll just get a 4x and call it good.  

Might want to check out the FAL section in the armory.  Aimpoints seem to be a popular choice there, and that may work depending on your environment.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#16]
This is lighter

Than this

Ive been wanting to get a tikka for something in 308 thats light .
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This is lighter

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/Hawk_308/Guns/IMG_0785.jpg

Than this

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/Hawk_308/Guns/DSCF0148.jpg

Ive been wanting to get a tikka for something in 308 thats light .
View Quote

My plan is to have one almost exact to that by spring
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Malamute hunting?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is what I figured

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Either or.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either or.  

You don't wanna lug around any semi auto 308 battle rifle for trek hunting. Stand hunting yes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You don't wanna lug around any semi auto 308 battle rifle for trek hunting. Stand hunting yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either or.  

Why not? I've done it; and, I'd still do it if I hadn't of sold my FAL because I can't afford to feed guns in 5.56, 5.45, 7.62x39 and .308. In fact, I got rid of my 74 to to further consolidate calibers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FAL

because fuck Fudds.
View Quote

Dammit this will get expensive. I've been toying with the idea of an FAL for hunting. Now I must look into it more.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#23]
poachers in Africa use FALs to kill elephants, I'm sure that it would work fine for deer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd rather hunt with a lighter bolt gun, depending on where it is.

Better accuracy, longer effective range, lighter weight.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dammit this will get expensive. I've been toying with the idea of an FAL for hunting. Now I must look into it more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FAL

because fuck Fudds.

Dooo eeeet.

I'm thinking about buying a Romanian PSL again if tax season is good to me. 7.62x54r is cheap, Russian .30-06. 440 rounds for around $100. I could even get some reloadable brass x54r for maximum accuracy in deer hunting situations.

ETA: Plus the big evil commie rifle scares the shit out of them. I didn't even show them how it became a spear when I mounted an AKM bayonet on the end of it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either or.  

Not like they were carried in wars or anything.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I own both and have hunted with neither- since I hunt public land, which is not open to centerfire rifles here. Assuming that I can get property owner permission (as required by our laws pertaining to assault weapons), I would love to hunt with my FAL....it's something that I totally intend to do eventually. I enjoy stalking, as opposed to standing, and don't believe the weight would be much of a problem, The FAL really isn't much heavier than some of the other long guns that I have carried in the field.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Either way, the deer won't care.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I killed a white tail with an FAL a long time ago.

Worked just fine.

Planning on using one again for hogs this spring.

It's really not that heavy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Like the animal getting shot will know the difference between what the bullet comes out of.

If you can hit the target and the weight is okay with you who cares?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Either way, the deer won't care.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#32]
'Some thump'?

.308?

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#33]
A shame they are not native to North America, as it would be appropriate to use a FAL to shoot a red deer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

'Some thump'?

View Quote

.308?

It's got a wee bit don't ya think?

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Mine's already camo'd. Just need some glass

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Mine's already camo'd. Just need some glass

<a href="http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/plikatok/media/FAL%20-%20ARS/null_zpsad4b0b62.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd386/plikatok/FAL%20-%20ARS/null_zpsad4b0b62.jpg</a>
View Quote

I really wish .308 wasn't fucking expensive. Those sheet metal handgaurds sucked when shooting in the spring and summer, though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#37]
The range at which the shots are being taken is the relevant detail. If I were anticipating 200+ shots I would prefer a well built bolt action. Under 200? The differences are minimal.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The range at which the shots are being taken is the relevant detail. If I were anticipating 200+ shots I would prefer a well built M1A. Under 200? The differences are minimal.
View Quote

Not mine, but I'd take an M1A.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd think the weight is the downside of the FAL, and the upside of a levergun.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'd rather hunt with a lighter bolt gun, depending on where it is.

Better accuracy, longer effective range, lighter weight.
View Quote

I would use my 762x51 spanish mauser rather  than my stg if it was a choice between the two.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

My FAL im building is going to be almost exactly like yours.  Is your flash suppressor pinned and welded, or just normal thread?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Don't see why it matters what kind of gun.  .308 is .308.  Use whatever you like best and shoot the best.
View Quote

Not really. It comes down to accuracy. Do you want 1/4" MOA or 2-4" MOA accuracy?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#43]
FAL was built specifically to kill mammals who top the food chain.

FAL ain't that heavy, when you compare it to an Izzy, to an L1A1, to an Rodie, to an Imbel...
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Had a conversation with a buddy from Minnesota about using a FAL for hunting and his response was....While I have used em in the past I use a 308 bolt gun.So I asked him if they are better just as range guns and his response was.........Well If I had one this time around I would have come home with a Elk.

I was thinking some about it....Do you think a FAL would make a decent hunting rifle or stick with bolt guns?....I want something with some thump to it so it's 308 no matter what I do.
View Quote

I would prefer to use the bolt gun, so long as it was lightweight and handy, as opposed to some of the heavy and bulky bolt guns I've seen some people make up (in which case you might as well just take the FAL).  For general field use, something light, short, and handy is definitely preferable.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I made a Texas hog really dead last  night with my M1A. It worked well in one ear out the other.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

FAL ain't that heavy, when you compare it to an Izzy, to an L1A1, to an Rodie, to an Imbel...
View Quote

I chucked my Israeli FAL with SUIT on the scale once for shits and giggles.  12.5 lbs.  About the lightest FAL (para carbine with alloy lower and type I upper) weighs a little over 8 lbs.

You can do better with a bolt action.  No need at all to lug that extra weight around for a shorter effective range.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My FAL im building is going to be almost exactly like yours.  Is your flash suppressor pinned and welded, or just normal thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

its just screwed on
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:47:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I chucked my Israeli FAL with SUIT on the scale once for shits and giggles.  12.5 lbs.  About the lightest FAL (para carbine with alloy lower and type I upper) weighs a little over 8 lbs.

You can do better with a bolt action.  No need at all to lug that extra weight around for a shorter effective range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still don't know what this babble about weight and shorter effective range is all about.

When I got my first FAL I didn't have a spare sling laying around, so I just huffed it without one. I went out at night for about 6 hours without a sling, and 2 spare mags on my person. No problems.

Go to the gym if you have that much of a hard time carrying a rifle, damn.

Effective range? The farthest I've ever seen anything was about 4-500 yards out. Any semi automatic .308 can do that easily if the nut behind the trigger knows his shit. Even more so if you've got a nice optic sitting on it.

ETA: Even if you don't have as effective accuracy of a bolt gun out to say 6-800 yards, you've still got 20 rounds of knock-knock motherfucker .308 on tap. I'd much rather have that for the close encounters with hogs, or quick follow up shots out to 100 yards. Semi-auto's are just better for all around field use.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:31:20 AM EDT
[#49]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_7/298871_FAL_with_Optics_Pic_Thread.html

I hope I did that link above right. I am trying to learn how to use this iPad.

I have not seen any 5 round mags for the FAL. I suppose you could block a 10 or 20.  For what what it's worth the only 10 round mag I have - a DSA - Doesn't work well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:33:24 AM EDT
[#50]
I used to deer hunt in the WV mountains with my M1A.  A combination of being in my mid 20's plus "practicing" walking the hills squirrel hunting prior to deer season made it a non-issue.

Deer can't tell what kind of rifle the .308 bullet came from.

I had my FAL to the range about a month back.  Still shoots nice groups and I was using surplus from 1969.

I may put a scope on it one of these days.  It had a SUIT on it but the mount keeps working loose (the rivets that hold the "t" bar on the hood must be soft as they work loose in just a few rounds).

Go for it.  You'll look back on it as fun one of these days.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top