Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2014 1:31:32 PM EDT
This rifle is a beast in 7.5.  It is the SOCOM 16, fifty years in advance.  They're creeping up in cost, but if you can get one under $450 in 7.5, get one.

MAS lovers, share your observations please!

(If you came in to shit in this thread with "Only dropped once" comments, let me save you the trouble. You can lick my sweaty balls.)

49/56 MSE variant

49/56 MSE with rare 25 round mag

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Always reminded me of the rifles the gorillas used in the Original Planet of the Apes movies.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I've wanted one for awhile now, but I don't think I've ever seen one for 450 that wasn't a century conversion.   And fuck that.   I've seen what they did to cetmes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the opportunity to shoot one that had been rechambered, I liked it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
People hate them for the same reason CETMEs here have a bad rep. I still want an unmolested FN 49.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]

My boss bought one of the .308 versions years ago. Still has it but never did get it to be reliable enough to zero.

They are very robustly built, tanks really. I'd buy one in their original caliber but ammo is scarce, no?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice rifles would not mind having one.........
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
7.5 French is an enthusiast round. (read: hard to get, expensive and not even that easy to reload for.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My boss bought one of the .308 versions years ago. Still has it but never did get it to be reliable enough to zero.

They are very robustly built, tanks really. I'd buy one in their original caliber but ammo is scarce, no?
View Quote

It comes in new intermittently from Privi.  AIM had some privi a while back for the same cost as 308.

Century scored some French surplus a while back (de linked MG rounds) that some retailers were selling as low as 40 cents a round.

I bought some Syrian from an established milsurp retailer a couple years ago for just under 40 cents a round, delivered.

The point is that it is available periodically and you can get good deals on it; buy in bulk when they present.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm with you, OP.  Great rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
7.5 French is an enthusiast round. (read: hard to get, expensive and not even that easy to reload for.)
View Quote

I've heard you can make the brass from .30-06

Never tried it tho, so don't take that as gospel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a reason for the enthusiasm, mon frere.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Almost bought one with 300 rounds and a couple extra mags for $200 back during the C&R heyday. And then I didn't. Looking back...not really any regret. Neat gun, but I was up to my eyeballs in neat guns.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok

I'd still rather have a SOCOM 16 M1A
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've wanted one for awhile now, but I don't think I've ever seen one for 450 that wasn't a century conversion.   And fuck that.   I've seen what they did to cetmes.
View Quote

I got mine for $450 ish about three years ago.  As long as you don't want a pristine, freshly parked one that was rearsenaled in the early 90's, you can occasionally find one in that range.  Mostly 500-550 though.

I don't know what the 308 conversions go for, becuase I disregard them as junk.

Virtually all have been rearsenaled.  The ones with more "wear" were done in the late 70's to mid 80's.  Not cites for that, that's just the observations of a guy who's been paying attention.

You can tell the year of rearsenal because it is stamped on the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks heavy, bulky, and like nothing special. Explain whats so great about it so we will see your point.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok

I'd still rather have a SOCOM 16 M1A
View Quote

Get both.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks heavy, bulky, and like nothing special. Explain whats so great about it so we will see your point.

View Quote

It is none of those.  It is an extremely handy rifle capable of great accuracy, especially if it is one of the MSE variants.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I had one that I bought in new/surplus condition in 1999 for $200.  Nice rifle, decent shooter with the then available surplus ball.  Traded it off about 7 years ago, since I didn't love it.  Wouldn't pay $450 for one now, because I don't love surplus bolt guns.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had one that I bought in new/surplus condition in 1999 for $200.  Nice rifle, decent shooter with the then available surplus ball.  Traded it off about 7 years ago, since I didn't love it.  Wouldn't pay $450 for one now, because I don't love surplus bolt guns.
View Quote

I think you're thinking MAS 36.

49/56 is a semi auto.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I would like to have one and a 36. I have nearly bought 36es before, but I always saw them when I had money in hand to buy something else.

I've never seen a 49/56 in person.

It is unusual for a semi-auto in a full size rifle cartridge to stay in the price range of the MAS guns, though, especially given how they aren't exactly super common.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, the semiauto variants are much nicer....wut?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can, (it is easier to just reform 6.5 swede though) but 99.9% of shooters and 95% of reloaders won't, therefor, enthusiast round.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one... Built like a tank. It's a carbine. And is a hard hitter... Mines a 7.5 . Got 1000 rounds Prvi for $399   a few years back.... Wardawg
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#25]
As I said in the SKS thread today,I'd much rather have a 49/56.

It's an excellent gun and 7.5 is a great round
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Is the magazine catch on the magazine?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I like them
very well made
simple design
machined receiver
tool less take down
no small parts to drop or loose
short for small guys like my self
grenade launcher
peep sights
most are re arsenal ed
wood furniture
low cost investment
CAN BE FOUND IN GODS CALIBER (308)
Yes some are problematic, but there are lots of them that are not!
remember how much sks`s were, these will only go up in value.
who remembers the lane co 100 dollar m-1 carbines?
who remembers the 79.00 mosin`s?
as a military battle rifle i give it a 8 out of 10
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is the magazine catch on the magazine?
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Explain why this is a great rifle.

View Quote

Only been dropped once.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I would love one of the 30-06 models. There are so few 30-06 battle rifles with detachable mags.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I want one. Who sells them?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Only been dropped once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only been dropped once.

How do they taste?  My balls, I mean.  Salty?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I want one. Who sells them?
View Quote

Nobody's importing them anymore.  You'll see them pop up on gunbroker and on gunboards.  Don't pay more than $500, unless a pristine late 90's arsenal refurbish.  Then, I'd go to $700 in today's market, but that's just me.

That said, if you see a 49/56 MSE variant, if you can get it for $1500 or under, jump on it.

All of the above assumes 7.5.   308 conversion = POS.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I had one for awhile with a few hundred rounds of Syrian ammo I put throught it. Fun rifle and has that "seems " lighter and smaller than it is.  I sold mine off years ago when I consolidated my odd ball rifle and pistol collection.

All in all I would rather have an sks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Have two in 7.5 Ive never shot...had three, but sold one last year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#36]
The MAS ain't a bad piece, but I'm more interested in the FN-49.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Isn't ammo a bitch to find?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only been dropped once.

You mad? I mean, seriously?

I read your OP and made the joke BECAUSE you said it. Hence the smiley.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#40]
OP is exactly right. The MAS 49/56 is a wonderful design, robust and chambered in a cartridge with real power. They typically have very nice triggers, good sights, and they are 87% easier to fit with optics then their contemporaries - slide on the rugged APX L806, lock down the mount, and you're all set.

I have a pair of 49/56 rifles, one like new in the original 7.5 French chambering, the other one of the Century rifles in .308. My .308 rifle is completely reliable, even with steel cased ammo.

The 49/56 sent a great many Arab terrorists and Communists to their final resting places. It deserves recognition as a worthy competitor to the FAL as a 1960s battle rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://www.fn-browning.com/FN49_sample_pic2.jpg
View Quote

This one really interests me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Beautiful rifles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Define the "great accuracy" from these rifles.

View Quote

I don't read French, but "Kelt" a respected retired French soldier on Gunboards claims that the MSE variant will do 1MOA.  He's their expert on all things MAS.   Not bad for a rifle of that era.

I think the "standard" variant shooting standard military ball was 4 moa; which I believe is the standard the US Army uses for the M16/M4, which is also 4 moa, believe.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.fn-browning.com/FN49_sample_pic2.jpg

And your thread is where?

I'm bored, educate me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Same here. The only ones I found at a decent price have been converted.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only been dropped once.

I knew that and that's why I referred back to the sweaty balls I referenced in my OP.  No smiley from me 'cause I thought we were on the same page.

Send your meter out for recalibration:
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#47]
OP, what are the specific qualifiers that lead you to rate all .308 conversions as POS?  

These are very robust & durable rifles - in .308 they are infinitely more desirable to own for the sake of ammo availability - I don't own one but have spoken to a few folks that did and they have all liked their .308 versions. So why exactly the 308 hate?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OP, what are the specific qualifiers that lead you to rate all .308 conversions as POS?  

These are very robust & durable rifles - in .308 they are infinitely more desirable to own for the sake of ammo availability - I don't own one but have spoken to a few folks that did and they have all liked their .308 versions. So why exactly the 308 hate?
View Quote

Century botched the conversion.  There were after market gas regulators sold to retrofit the Century conversions, but the results were less than spectacular.

If you can find a French Army conversion to 7.62 nato, by all means buy with confidence. (I don't think any were imported though).

There have been some reports that "good" conversions were done, but it is a total crapshoot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#49]
So, if I want a MAS 49/56, my options are a gun I can't find ammo for or a gun that doesn't work?

Seems like a .308 VEPR or M77 would be a much better option.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Excellent rifles in the frog round, skip the Century 7.62 conversions.

They are simple, robust, and better than the M14/M1A.  Yeah, I have both.  In the common service rifle configuration, they are both 2 MOA rifles.  The MAS is also 1/3 the price of an M1A, even now.  When they were <$250 or so, they were a screaming fricken' deal.

Downsides:  Coarser sights, but that can be fixed.  It is easy to make a finer front sight, and I started on a M14 rear sight adaptation to the top cover I never finished.

The rifle is more sensitive to ammo than the M14.  It likes lighter weight bullets and doesn't like medium/slowish powders very well, where the M14 eats any bullet under 175 grains and a huge range of powders for excellent accuracy.  The commonly recommended loads with WW760 hammers that poor rifle hard.  The gold standard, like the 7.5 Swiss, is French ball ammo.  Rare and getting expensive, not that it was ever cheap.

THe problem with the 308 conversion is a typical Century problem:  low skilled personnel, all the steps required for the proper conversion were not done due to cost.  There is a web page out there where Century's consultant smith outlines all the steps he recommended done which Century did not do.  The rifles themselves are hit and miss - sometimes you have a great one, and the next one is a dog.  I think there were only a dozen French 7.62 arsenal conversions, so in reality they do not exist.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top