Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/2/2014 4:39:36 AM EDT
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2550176/Shocking-photos-911-dispatchers-sleeping-job.html

Shocking photos show 911 dispatchers 'sleeping on the job'

• Staff appear to be napping at their desks in images taken by concerned colleague

• Miami Beach center that handles police and fire department calls is to install cameras

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:48:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Government employees sleeping on the job? Shocking.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Must be the Popeyes fault.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Is  there  anything  "  familiar "  w/  those  photographs ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Ha! I guess right!
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:56:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Government employees sleeping on the job? Shocking.

View Quote

It's a good thing private sector employees never sleep on the clock!

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#6]
My 1st thought was DC.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is there anything  "familiar" w/ those  photographs ?
View Quote

Yeah they're .gov workers. We slept constantly at work.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#8]
The state of sleep?
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#9]
what do you expect when you have diabetes and your the size of a whale
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:58:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I single set of photos does not make it a settled fact.

But yeah, it does look bad.

In bigger cities and towns dispatch is pretty busy, so I don't see how they could sleep on the job. and there is usually more than one dispatcher working so a cat nap would not be a bad thing as long as one of them was monitoring the freq's
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 4:59:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:00:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Must be the Popeyes fault.
View Quote
Food coma?

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:02:13 AM EDT
[#14]

I would have thought the New Jersey governor would have nicer office.

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hard to tell if they are on lunch or a 15min break from those photos.

But let's assume the worst. It's the arfcom way.
View Quote

Or maybe its a real slow night. That doesn't justify sleeping but I assume they can't just get up and leave their desk/phone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty easy to assume that the aren't supposed to be on a nap break at the same time
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#17]
So fucking what?  Most 911 stations are manned by several employees at the same time and many don't get a call for several hours on end.  Show me where a 911 station failed to receive a call, then I might get excited.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:14:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I just wish ours would put down their fucking iPads and cell phones long enough to do their jobs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:19:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Fat people are useless.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So fucking what?  Most 911 stations are manned by several employees at the same time and many don't get a call for several hours on end. Show me where a 911 station failed to receive a call, then I might get excited.
View Quote

This.  I'm more concerned about them performing the function
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Huh? I know lots of folks will take a lunch or 15min break at their desk and nod off. Nothing wrong with doing that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty easy to assume that the aren't supposed to be on a nap break at the same time

Huh? I know lots of folks will take a lunch or 15min break at their desk and nod off. Nothing wrong with doing that.

Multiple dispatchers on break at the same time?   On fucking nap break?

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:27:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Holy shit dispatchers are people, too? And they sleep on the job just like people in other professions do? For all we know they've been working 18 hours straight with barely any time for a piss break. Been there, done that. Unless you've been there, you don't know shit. People think that dispatchers are lazy slugs but if you have a good one, they're worth their weight in gold. I could give a shit if mine slept during downtime. They've earned it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:29:08 AM EDT
[#24]
That could be a government office anywhere in America.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So fucking what?  Most 911 stations are manned by several employees at the same time and many don't get a call for several hours on end.  Show me where a 911 station failed to receive a call, then I might get excited.
View Quote

You think there's a period of several hours that Miami beach 911 centers aren't receiving calls? Lol... its fucking Florida

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:33:54 AM EDT
[#26]
They all got the "ITUS"
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Holy shit dispatchers are people, too? And they sleep on the job just like people in other professions do? For all we know they've been working 18 hours straight with barely any time for a piss break. Been there, done that. Unless you've been there, you don't know shit. People think that dispatchers are lazy slugs but if you have a good one, they're worth their weight in gold. I could give a shit if mine slept during downtime. They've earned it.
View Quote

We stil have an odd culture of work attitudes, where someone taking  aquick nap is viewed as a pariah, but fucking off for 4 hours on arfcom, facebook, or personal stuff is OK.  It's all about looking busy.

What it comes down to is job performance.  I wouldn't give two shits if they had a bed to rack out on, as long as they could respond adequately to an incoming phone call, and accomplish other tasks expected of them on a shift.

And what the fuck is up with GD's obsession with British tabloids lately?  It's almost worse than the WND epidemic of 2005.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
FIFY.

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:35:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You think there's a period of several hours that Miami beach 911 centers aren't receiving calls? Lol... its fucking Florida

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By your own statement, that had to be a rare moment of peace and quiet.  Unless you are suggesting they are missing calls, what exactly is it hurting?
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:43:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Supervisory problem.

Everybody has a bad day from time to time, and comes in for their job less prepared than they should. And you can't deny the job goes from intense periods of work followed by periods of extreme boredom. It's been this way since people started manning phones and radios 24/7. At least two of those three pictures were taken on different shifts, since two different people are shown sleeping at one console.

However, unless these pictures were taken over an extremely long time period (months to years), the supervisors here have clearly allowed sleeping on the job enough that somebody with a camera got fed up.

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:43:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you talking about the pic with two people snoozing?

If you read the actual article you'll find out one is a supervisor and the other is a trainee.
I would assume that the trainee can't do shit without supervision so they take their breaks together.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

And a dispatcher's weight in gold is a lot.

Sorry couldn't pass up a fat dispatcher joke.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#34]
If the phone isn't ringing I don't see a huge problem here. I have a friend who dispatches on the side and if the phone isn't ringing they're not expected to do much of anything. It's just a side job for most of them.

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Meh, take a look at nearly any place, .gov or not, where employees are expected to sit at a desk and answer phones and/or stare at a computer screen for hours at a time, especially at night.  You are guaranteed to find someone napping at some point.

Are calls being missed because of folks napping? If not, who gives a fuck?
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:54:33 AM EDT
[#37]
        Coworker was put on hold last week calling 911

The city workers had dug a huge hole in the road and just left or went on break without so much as putting cones around the hole

Coworker almost drove in the 8' deep hole
" />

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Fat people need sleep too.
Seriously, they're all fat. ??
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Racist.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I single set of photos does not make it a settled fact.

But yeah, it does look bad.

In bigger cities and towns dispatch is pretty busy, so I don't see how they could sleep on the job. and there is usually more than one dispatcher working so a cat nap would not be a bad thing as long as one of them was monitoring the freq's
View Quote

The blue line extends to dispatch, who'd a thunk it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Fat people need sleep too.
Seriously, they're all fat. ??
View Quote

Brought to you by our sponsor ..... DIE = A = BEET = TEEZ. Now with 30% more sugar.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:14:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Ewww slugs, someone get the salt while they're sleeping!
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:17:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

They should not be sleeping on the job. These people are the first contact for emergency services. If they miss a call then someone could die.

The only job I ever slept "on the clock" was in the military and that was only when in the field and driving the LT or PSG around and then only with their permission.

Having said that and reading the article they need more personnel so that dispatchers aren't working overtime. Fatigue also causes mistakes but a 15 minute catnap is worse when you are extremely tired.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My 1st thought was DC.  
View Quote

My first guess was Detroit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Were you an air traffic controller by chance?

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is  there  anything  "  familiar "  w/  those  photographs ?
View Quote

Familiar, and similar.  But, nothing to see here, move along.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Those people are working long hours at forced overtime due to understaffing and yet they still manage to get the job done.

"Concerned co worker" my ass; there  is nothing lower than a disgruntled rat.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Having said that and reading the article they need more personnel so that dispatchers aren't working overtime. Fatigue also causes mistakes but a 15 minute catnap is worse when you are extremely tired.
View Quote

The opposite is true.  A 20 minute catnap is far better for continued performance than fighting it.  There is actually extensive research that shows letting people nap would increase job performance overall.  Such a thing would be particularly easy when you have multiple people doing the same task and you can rotate nap times.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Those people are working long hours at forced overtime due to understaffing and yet they still manage to get the job done.

"Concerned co worker" my ass; there  is nothing lower than a disgruntled rat.
View Quote

Who clearly had plenty of free time himself.  Why is walking around taking photos on the job less a scandal than sleeping?
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Negative. Almost 6 years as a police dispatcher before going into other divisions.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top