Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2014 9:46:26 AM EDT
Headed to Asheville on a vacation, what are some places to see and things to do? Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#1]
check out the Biltmore and have dinner there at sunset
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Asheville is the San-Fran of the south. Liberal hippie town. Here's the best thing you'll see if you go west on I-40

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Avoid the smelly hippies wandering around town.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Biltmore mansion and if your gay it's homo heaven there! Lots of hippies as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Chimney Rock.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Avoid the smelly hippies wandering around town.
View Quote

This.....if you are in the area go visit Biltmore Estate.  
Pisgah National Forest is great for outdoor stuff like hiking, camping and fishing.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]

My parents own La Strada Italian Restaurant in Chimney Rock (lake lure), up on the hill over looking the beach and only real food there

Go over there and say your buddies with Jake they will hook you up , stay away from the freaks in Asheville

La Strada at Lake Lure
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#10]
go to the Bier Garden:

http://www.ashevillebiergarden.com/
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Wasn't "Last of the Mohicans" filmed around there?  The last one?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#12]
If you like beer, there's tons to do.  If you don't I think it's all smelly hippies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wasn't "Last of the Mohicans" filmed around there?  The last one?
View Quote

Chimney rock lake lure , so was parts of dirty dancing
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Around Asheville is good hiking and many waterfalls.  Near by is Dupont State park.  Parts of Hunger Games and Last of the Mohicans filmed there.  Mt Mitchell is the tallest peak in the Southeast, you can drive up.

Waterfall used at the end of Last of Mochicans.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=602616419769284&set=vb.100000627940456&type=3&theater
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Somebody used to tell me Asheville had the prettiest women on the east coast.  Then later, Arfcom told me it's a place full of hippies.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#16]
It is full of Dog Worshipping Hippies.  The restaurants have dog bowl beside the tables for your dog.  (On the outside tables.)  The upscale hotels want you to bring your dog.  They even have expensive places like Barkwells Hotel that treat your dog great for 300 bucks a night.  Asheville maybe full of Liberal Hippies getting government handouts, but the surrounding area is still Merica.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  The Biltmore is pretty awesome.  I want to go back down there someday.

I would also take a day to go to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge in Tennessee.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Biltmore is pretty cool. I remember the first time I toured it I wondered why all the beds looked so small, then I realized everything was just enormous in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Just go to waynesville...
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Go to Green Guy brewery.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Go to Green Guy brewery.
View Quote

Oh yeah, the area is like a mecca for micro-breweries.  It is a great beer town.  If you want something interesting try some Fox Hill Spiced Mead, if you can find it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I think GarandShooter's store is near Asheville...... Go spend a few bucks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#23]
1. beer, lots of microbrews there, most restaurants brew their own shit.
2. chimney rock
3. biltmore
4. fishing, lots of fishing around there.  french broad rive is a good place to fly fish
5. hiking, numerous places to hike
6. blue ridge parkway
7. mount mitchell, highest mountain east of the mississippi.  if it's 90 in asheville, it'll be 70 up there.  
8. white water rafting
9. short drive to the smokies

there's more, but that's what i rattled off real quick.  i was there last summer for a work conference.  need to go back

Quoted:
Somebody used to tell me Asheville had the prettiest women on the east coast.  Then later, Arfcom told me it's a place full of hippies.

View Quote

that's a fucking lie, maybe the prettiest vegitarian, kenyan loving, non bath taking, dope smoking, pieces of shit on the east coast.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for all the suggestions, any hiking trails recommended or whitewater outfitters? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Local Microbrews. Do some research on them before you go. There are some decent ones, but I don't remember what they were.

The Biltmore tour is worth it if you've never done it before.
View Quote

This. Good beer is to be had, if you read up first.

Avoid the one run by lesbians, it stunk badly of rancid beer IIRC it was called French Broad.

Green Man was good. As was the one across from the glass blowing place, Wedge.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Consider just driving the Blue Ridge Parkway some also
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#28]
If you have time you must go to Biltmore and learn about the Vanderbuilts. It really is amazing.

The Grove Park Inn is suppose to be pretty nice, but I've only drove by it.

I know a couple that routinely drive two hours just to eat at this place;  http://www.curatetapasbar.com/ It's a spanish restaurant. It's suppose to be incredible, but I've yet to eat there.

Go to the Mellow Mushroom and eat pizza and drink a Highland Mountain Oatmeal Porter.

If you like dark beer get yourself a Highland Mountain Medley for the cooler. I can't get enough of their beer.

Go downtown and watch the freak show, there's hipsters everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Tupelo honey cafe.  Those biscuits with jelly and honey that they bring to the table alone is worth the price of admission.   12 bones BBQ, but be ready for the line.   It moves fast though.

Hang out around the little park area that is downtown close to the bars and restaurants and you will likely catch a liberal/hippie freak show exhibition that will have you running to arfcom to tell us what you saw.  

There is a cool bar across the street from The Thirsty Monk (not so cool bar) that I can't remember the name of right now.  The bar has a logo of a nature man thingy with long hair.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#30]
stinging nettle and yellow jackets if yer into that sort
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Avoid the one run by lesbians, it stunk badly of rancid beer IIRC it was called French Broad.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Local Microbrews. Do some research on them before you go. There are some decent ones, but I don't remember what they were.

The Biltmore tour is worth it if you've never done it before.

Oh God. What a shit hole that place was.  Wife and I went there with an open mind, but wow, total shit.
We both ended up dumping our beers over the railing and hauling ass back to Barley's Taproom.

Hey OP. Yeah, Barley's Taproom has pretty good pizza, and fun games upstairs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

As stated the Biltmore.

The downtown area is kind of cool with some good places to eat.

We did the eat lunch on the side of a mountain that was brought up by a lama.

View Quote
a Deli Lama?

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#33]

go to Maggie Valley and see the Wheels through Time motorcycle museum, then stop at Old grouch surplus in Clyde on the way back
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Wheels Through Time museum!!!!!!  Beat by seconds

My little buddy
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#35]
and if I remember correctly, Frog Level Brewery in Waynesville is owned by a retired Service member.
Had fun playing cornhole and listening to some good bluegrass there.

Universal Joint in Asheville has excellent quesadillas and good beer.  Parking kinds sucks though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Rumor has it Obama is looking at property in Asheville.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I can tell most of the folks replying to this thread haven't been in Asheville in about 10 or 15 years. If you had you would know that all the hippies have been replaced by hipsters. Even worse in my opinion because they have  gentrified the shit out of Asheville. I went there with the old lady to catch an Unknown Hinson show last fall and it was awful. Fucking hipster twits everywhere. The next  morning we tried to get breakfast and every place we tried had an outrageous wait, obscenely high prices and served fucked up hipster food. Who the fuck eats third party certified organic free range fair trade cruelty free locally sourced soy buckwheat pancakes with artisinal kale infused agave syrup. Fucking disgusting.

The downtown area is teaming with these pretentious beta make fucking hipsters and there snotty women. I mean fucking crawling with these people. Its a shame. The hippies were better. The hipsters are intolerable.

There is still plenty of good beer and food to be had if you can suffer the inflated prices and all the other bullshit that goes along with the full blow invasion of those pretentious fucking hipster twits. Personally I can't stand it. And its a shame because Asheville has historically been a beautiful place.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I can tell most of the folks replying to this thread haven't been in Asheville in about 10 or 15 years. If you had you would know that all the hippies have been replaced by hipsters. Even worse in my opinion because they have  gentrified the shit out of Asheville. I went there with the old lady to catch an Unknown Hinson show last fall and it was awful. Fucking hipster twits everywhere. The next  morning we tried to get breakfast and every place we tried had an outrageous wait, obscenely high prices and served fucked up hipster food. Who the fuck eats third party certified organic free range fair trade cruelty free locally sourced soy buckwheat pancakes with artisinal kale infused agave syrup. Fucking disgusting.

The downtown area is teaming with these pretentious beta make fucking hipsters and there snotty women. I mean fucking crawling with these people. Its a shame. The hippies were better. The hipsters are intolerable.

There is still plenty of good beer and food to be had if you can suffer the inflated prices and all the other bullshit that goes along with the full blow invasion of those pretentious fucking hipster twits. Personally I can't stand it. And its a shame because Asheville has historically been a beautiful place.
View Quote

We eat at Papas and Beers when we go.  Good cheap Mexican food.  No organic nazi crap.  I remember being a Bell Cher Festival or w/e it is called.  Two women came up and stood topless in the most populated part.  These were not quality boobs either.  Parents with young children were complaining to the police.  Police basically told them, nothing we can do about it.  I mostly go to places outside of downtown, now.  The mountains of alot to offer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Sliding Rock is natural rock water slide in the Pisgah Forest.  Take the Blue Ridge Parkway to get out there and enjoy the scenery.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Just go to waynesville...
View Quote
Yep, I would rather stay in Waynesville and just do a day trip to Asheville.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#41]
I grew up in the 60s.  I knew hippies.  I saw real hippies for three years at UFl.  They lived in the hippy ghetto

I go to Asheville a couple of times a year to see relatives.  I have not seen a real hippy yet.  Lots of people with ink.  Lots of drugs.  Lots of street people, but no real hippies.

Real god food.  Curate for tapas but get a reservation.  Wonderful food.  Bouchon for French.  Excellent.  Early Girl for great breakfast and lunch but watch out for the ink!  You can get real hippy sandals from the store next to them.     .   Go to the Farmers Market and eat at The Moose.  Great food and lots of it.

There is an amazing craft shop in the Blue ridge Parkway a during in the lobby of the Grove Park Inn is a very nice experience.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Fun place to visit with lots for kids and adults.

All the good western breweries are open or set to open.  Take your pick.  I'm down w A'ville Brewing and Wicked Weed.

You can't go wrong with Hotdog World, Tupelo Honey, 12 Bones BBQ and All Souls Pizza.

Blue Ridge Pkwy - its just about blueberry season

Smoky Mtn NP - put your kid up on a 1200 lb elk for a sweet pic.  Watch out for the pine pigs though.

and last but not least....

Sweet swimming holes

cheers,

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#43]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuP_qvgTQYM[/youtube]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#44]
oops
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#45]
National Go Topless Day in Ashville <--------------Not Safe for Work.  But safe for Hippies at Home.  

This video contains boobs-  Asheville has some quality control issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny_OsgXJaW8

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Eat at all the little eclectic restaurants with awesome food.  Dessert at the French Broad.  Watch hippies do weird stuff.  Check for any free concerts or festivals etc.  Drink local brews.  Wander the shops.  Try the kombucha tea.  Stay at the Bohemian if you don't mind blowing some cash on a really nice hotel room and spacious () shower.  Hit up a wine bar and drink some surprisingly good N Georgia wine.  It's a fun place to visit and just relax.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#47]
You could drive through that town in an NBC sealed M-1 Abrams and still smell the patchouli and burning rope.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think GarandShooter's store is near Asheville...... Go spend a few bucks!
View Quote

He's in clyde NC, Kinda close to asheville
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Asheville is the San-Fran of the south. Liberal hippie town. Here's the best thing you'll see if you go west on I-40

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/gralistair-albums-state-line-signs-picture4143-tn-state-line.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, though I would recommend dinner at the steak house at the Grove Park Inn. If you're staying in Asheville, I recommend staying at the Grove Park Inn. Very awesome.

Downtown is pretty nice. Play "Dodge the Hippie" as you walk around sampling the cool stores and restaurants.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top