Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/1/2014 2:27:52 AM EDT
Buddy picked up this old girl a while back with the plans for a drag car projec.  

The plans are to power it with a 6.0 LS engine,  turboed.  First things first.  We had to replace the rusted floor pan and add chassis bracing (of which I have lost the damn pics of at the moment).

We did the arfcom thing though.  We weren't sure if we wanted a 5.3 or a 6.0.  So we got both.    We will build them and then make the decision which one to start with.  

Cutting the rusty floor pan out:

Cage install:

I'll try to get more pics and keep this project updated as it goes.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:30:26 AM EDT
[#1]
tagged
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:32:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Serious question, but is there a benefit to adding a roll cage before you do much of anything else?

To me , (no where near a mechanic) it appears it would get in the way..
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Serious question, but is there a benefit to adding a roll cage before you do much of anything else?

View Quote

Cage is the most time intensive project.  Main reason we did the cage first was because we had to strip the car and repair the bad floor pan.  While the interior was stripped we took the opportunity to do the cage.  
A somewhat secondary reason was to save shop space so the interior wasn't sitting around in the way as this is a working truck repair shop that we do our projects in.  

The engine and trans install with be fairly straight forward.  Although we will need to remove the interior again in the future in order to cut and modify the trans tunnel to fit the 4l80e.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Buddy picked up this old girl a while back with the plans for a drag car project.  

The plans are to power it with a 6.0 LS engine,  turboed.  First things first.  We had to replace the rusted floor pan and add chassis bracing (of which I have lost the damn pics of at the moment).

We did the arfcom thing though.  We weren't sure if we wanted a 5.3 or a 6.0.  So we got both.    We will build them and then make the decision which one to start with.  

Cutting the rusty floor pan out:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/Mustang%20Notch/Replacingfloorpan_zps03d21ae4.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/Mustang%20Notch/Flinstone_zpsd1004150.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/Mustang%20Notch/Floorpanout_zps0541abcb.jpg

Cage install:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/Mustang%20Notch/Notchtrunk_zpsbec4260a.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/Mustang%20Notch/Nothccage_zps69b0b0a3.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/Mustang%20Notch/Notchcagedooropen_zps40d21f71.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/Mustang%20Notch/Notchint_zpsd0da0825.jpg

I'll try to get more pics and keep this project updated as it goes.

View Quote
I hear those boost well

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:46:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Good project, nice color.

I built a swapped 93 notch 2.3 turbo. Added a 5 speed and upgraded all the suspension to GT spec. Super fun car.
Mine was reef blue.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:49:54 AM EDT
[#7]
IN
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:52:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:59:14 AM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:18:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Boost the 5.3 or do the 6.0 N/A or sell them both and buy a Coyote and call it good.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:43:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Boost the 5.3 or do the 6.0 N/A or sell them both and buy a Coyote and call it good.
View Quote

Already have a Coyote powered FOX.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Went with a LS5.3 4L80e combo.  

Got the motor mounts made and the trans cross member installed.  Used the stock 4 cyl trans cross member and relocated the cross member mounts about 4 inches farther back.

After massaging the trans tunnel lightly around the shifter shaft and switch assy for the 4l80e,  Every thing slid in like a glove.  

There will be a one inch spacer milled out and installed to bring the transmission up.  Setting the height properly.  

Now for the mock ups and fun to begin.  All the piping will be custom made and secured with v-bands,   intercooler will be mounted in the front bumper behind the valance.  

Slowly but surely it is coming along.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Woohoo.

Time to start building the wire harness and FI computer.  

Lots of irons in the fire.  

Trying to get 4 cars ready for race season.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
tagged
View Quote

This...
I've always had a weakness for Notchbacks...
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:26:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Fox's are best mustang.

back in the day I played with a 90 notch with a junkyard set up using IHI twins. went 10.80s but the thing was a heap.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Small update.  Buddy milled a bunch of parts and tigged some milled brackets into the stock GM A/C compressor bracket to fit a Modular Ford power steering pump into it.  Also fitted is a Ford alternator and a tensioner.  A LOT of thought went into this setup.  Came out very nice.

Also made bracketry to make use of the stock Ford shifter on the GM trans.  

Sorry for the crappy photos.  Using the phone.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Smart choice with the LS.

Now join the 21st century & add turbos....
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Re read the first post.  

It will be getting a pretty biggun.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Re read the first post.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re read the first post.  

Sweet!

My bad Bro!

What are you thinkin?

Stock 5.3's do real nice with 68-72mm.

FYI, built my first turbo stang back in '99.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Very cool. I had an '89 GT 5 speed. Fun car. That thing is going to fly with a turboed LS motor in it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sweet!

My bad Bro!

What are you thinkin?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re read the first post.  

Sweet!

My bad Bro!

What are you thinkin?

Lots of stuff is still in the air yet.  I think it will be somewhere in the area of an 85 to 87 mm turbo.  We have a few options for turbos.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I have such admiration for people that undertake projects like this. I would never have the patience.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Goodn, you certainly build some cool chit!

I'm down in Aberdeen, I think you made mention you're in Oakes or the area? I'll have to bring my 78 Fairmont box top up, I stuck a wrecked 98 Cobra under it, ABS, cruise, dash, whole shebang being a Fox it was actually pretty straight forward, but the wheels were a bitch, I found a set of Japanese Weds 17x8.25" and 17x8.5" 3 piece mesh wheels, they JUST clear with 245s all the way around. It's only 305hp, but it's a good time.

Not sure if I'm going to build it or just stick turbos on my 70 396 Chevelle.

Looking forward to seeing this one done! Good job.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I want a notch
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Goodn, you certainly build some cool chit!

I'm down in Aberdeen, I think you made mention you're in Oakes or the area? I'll have to bring my 78 Fairmont box top up, I stuck a wrecked 98 Cobra under it, ABS, cruise, dash, whole shebang being a Fox it was actually pretty straight forward, but the wheels were a bitch, I found a set of Japanese Weds 17x8.25" and 17x8.5" 3 piece mesh wheels, they JUST clear with 245s all the way around. It's only 305hp, but it's a good time.

Not sure if I'm going to build it or just stick turbos on my 70 396 Chevelle.

Looking forward to seeing this one done! Good job.
View Quote

Thank you.  I am merely involved in building some cool shit.  LOL

There is four of us that work together to make these neat toys to play with.  If that gets narrowed down more there is 3 of us that do a lot of the grunt work and one that does the programming and machining.  

I an near Fargo.  You may have seen the Oakes area mentioned in the 60 f100 thread.  Right out of the shop it was driven to the Oakes area for a shakedown run.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:50:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lots of stuff is still in the air yet.  I think it will be somewhere in the area of an 85 to 87 mm turbo.  We have a few options for turbos.  

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/Mustangturbo_zps80a44e67.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re read the first post.  

Sweet!

My bad Bro!

What are you thinkin?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/Mustangturbo_zps80a44e67.jpg

What is in it for Converter?

Ya runnin a brake?

Stock bottom end?

Stock cam?

Looking to push ~80lb/min @ 25psi or so?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What is in it for Converter?

Ya runnin a brake?

Stock bottom end?

Stock cam?

Looking to push ~80lb/min @ 25psi or so?
View Quote

Unsure on the specifics of the converter.  It is out of a buddys race car.  he was doing 9 second passes with it.  
No brake.
Stock bottom with ARP hardware.
Stock top with ARP hardware.
Stock cam as of now.
Probably run 4-8 lbs of boost to start.

This is just a budget project we are helping a buddy with.  He doesn't want to spend a huge amount.  Hence the reason for the cam and torque converter being donated to him.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Road trip!

Drove to Nebraska with my buddy over the weekend to pick up a couple 8.8 rear ends.  

We left Friday and got back Saturday night and installed one in the bastard on Sunday.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Been a while since there has been a decent amount of progress on the Mustang.  

The new driveshaft came in off of the big brown truck.  The MS3 is done for it,  The GPIO for the trans is done and the wiring harness almost done.  Got the intercooler radiator mounted in the radiator brace.  

Now to find a good place for this pretty little thing....

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Got a few more things done this weekend.  After helping a buddy get the motor in his Subaru Legacy GT and running,  I put an air temp sensor in the 60 F100 intake tract and then on to the Mustang to get a little progress done.  

We got the intercooler in and brackets fabbed,  intercooler radiator installed and bracketry fabbed,  intercooler radiator cooling fan installed and the intercooler water pump bracketry fabbed and pump installed.  The hole in the inner fender is rough cut and will be cleaned up,  This is where the air filter will be passed through as the turbo will be on that side.  

And a better pic of the custom belt drive system that was fabbed up for the accessories.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Very, very  nice  
I should have my lx coupe wrapped up soon too, HCI , 4:10's., the usual lol.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Little more progress on the GM powered Mustang today.  
After doing some bitching at the bar owner next door to the shop.  They Put in a human fooseball thingy between their bar/bowling alley and the shop.  And some steaming cocksucker I would suppose with a snoot full of liquid dumbfuckery decided It was a good idea to walk up the trunk and across the roof on the green 99 mustang.  Caving in the roof.     It mostly came out,  I will still have to do some PDR on it.  But If I ever catch the cock sucker......

Anyway,  on to the Chevstang.

W/A intercooler install with W/A intercooler radiator and engine radiator installed.

Turbo and flange hard mounted.

Radiator shroud and cooling fan installed.

Exhaust and flex couplers welded in.

Radiator and intake plumbing.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Just giving a morning bump for the day crew to see if there is still some interest in the build.  

We are not far from buttoning this one up and starting on my 2000 Mustang.  She will be getting a full new tubular K-member,  shortened rear end,  New TKO 600 5 speed transmission,  auto to manual swap and a turboed 4.6 32 valve Modular motor bored to 5.0 and built for approx 900 horse.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#34]
tagular
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was a Mustang guy for a while.  Then I figured out that, for the same money, I could just go buy a Corvette, so I did.  Anyways; Mustangs need some serious structural stiffening help if they are going to be driven hard.  The cage helps with that but there are also sub-frame connectors that should be welded in underneath also.  Didn't see those posted.  And the sheet metal "torque box" that the rear axle control arms attach to also has to be welded up solid or the spot welds will tear out.

And this: the Chevy 6.0 is a great engine but why not a Ford Coyote engine?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I built a swapped 93 notch 2.3 turbo. Added a 5 speed and upgraded all the suspension to GT spec. Super fun car.
Mine was reef blue.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/supercobrajet/93%20notch/000_0254.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/supercobrajet/93%20notch/100_4207-1.jpg
View Quote

I have never understood how a male could drive a car that's painted that color.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I am not a chevy fan , but I like all of your builds .
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Mine was reef blue.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/supercobrajet/93%20notch/000_0254.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/supercobrajet/93%20notch/100_4207-1.jpg
View Quote

I like that color. Did you do the 5 speed swap yourself? If so did you like laying upside down with your head in the floorboard for like an hour?

Lol. My 5 speed swap went excellent til I had to do the stupid pedal assembly.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Good luck with the Ford, keep us posted.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Sure do miss my 93 Notch! Spent lots of time and money building it but had to eventually make room for "other toys".

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Great job!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Notchbacks are my favorite. I wanted a notch but found a sreaming deal on my 97 Cobra instead.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I was a Mustang guy for a while.  Then I figured out that, for the same money, I could just go buy a Corvette, so I did.  Anyways; Mustangs need some serious structural stiffening help if they are going to be driven hard.  The cage helps with that but there are also sub-frame connectors that should be welded in underneath also.  Didn't see those posted.  And the sheet metal "torque box" that the rear axle control arms attach to also has to be welded up solid or the spot welds will tear out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done,  Done and done.  

You can kinda see the sub frame connectors in this pic.

Coyote motors are spendy.  We put one in a Fox Capri already posted.  

The LS cost 107 bucks otd as a core,  tore it down and the bottom end was nearly new,  Tore the top end off and found a bad cam bearing and worn lobe.  Replaced the cam and lifters and put it back together.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Cool project. Here is mine (was).

347 stroker with S-trim super charger. About 18 psi
I replaced the 5 speed with a 3 speed automatic.

Fuel injected and was a solid 9.90 1/4 mile

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Did a little playing on the lathe today.  I had to make an overflow tank for the intercooler cooling system.  Spent about a half hour on the lathe with a cutting and a facing tool to make the bung fit the Toyota over flow cap my buddy had laying around the shop.  

The tank was made from 3 inch exhaust pipe and a block heater delete for a Mercedes truck engine that was laying around.  The top was a simple 3 inch steel washer that I used the lathe to make the hole for the bung.  It came together pretty well.
I was having too much fun building it to take step by step pics,  so I guess the finished pics will have to do.  

Next was installing the Megasquirt computer and GPIO/trans controller in the car and feeding the raw wire harness.  

What I didn't get any pictures of was the Cobra fuel tank we installed. The reason to use a cobra tank is so we can install twin fuel pumps in the hat.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm doing a 4r70w swap on my87.

It's setting in the shop.

Got all of the parts to make it work, but haven't had the time to do it, it's in my MIL shop.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#47]
good stuff. thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Nice project!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Fucking winning!

Just finished up my LS swap a few months back into my DD. So much fun fucking with people who think it's just a bucket truck.

Keep the post coming
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top