Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/5/2015 8:29:23 AM EDT
I see the term being thrown around here but I'm not sure I know what it means.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone who uses the phrase "I support the 2nd amendment, but"
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Owns guns but supports "sensible" gun control.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#3]
People who kill defenseless furry animals vewy quietly.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1000

Bonus if they are a hunter.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
A goofy hat and a speech impediment are the primary features. A penchant for unsucessful rabbit hunts is a must.

I'll leave this definition the the pros around here.

Eta: There are a few of them around town. My personal favorite is the guy who said "I don't see why someone should own anything other than a .30-06 and a shotgun. Pistols bring trouble."
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#6]

A hunter type who does not support the ownership of military style firearms.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
You'll find a large gap between what people assert it means and how it is actually used.

The way it is used, any gun owner who is not - in a given range session - firing a military-style rifle while wearing at least one "tactical" accessory, is a fudd.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#8]
FPNI , An example would be the local range that requires NRA membership to join and would allow no NFA . , They now allow limited NFA . The suppressor excuse was they wanted to hear the shooting . A friend of mine leased the adjoining property to shoot NFA and they went to the landowner and bought out the lease and leased the property themselves to keep him from shooting machine guns near the range . This would be Fudds . This is based on a true story .
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#9]
FP is one of the best explanations yet.  It pretty much covers everything that a FUDD is, in one simple line.

"I'm a huge hunter so obviously I support gun rights, but there is no need for these assault weapons to be on the streets" is the basis of what a FUDD is.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#10]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FP is one of the best explanations yet.  It pretty much covers everything that a FUDD is, in one simple line.

"I'm a huge hunter so obviously I support gun rights, but there is no need for these assault weapons to be on the streets" is the basis of what a FUDD is.
View Quote

I like to refer to them as "Second Butts". As in "Something something something support second amendment but"
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Those gun owners who believe that the 2nd amendment is about hunting.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Some are on the board of the NRA...........
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Fudds
hunt but don't join NRA "cuz they will never ban my hunting stuff"
like Fudd guns but not EBRs
neckbeard .22 for their fudd .22s
put SALT LIFE on their bro dozers
have Buck stickers but own nothing by Browning.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Wabbit Season, Duck Season, Wabbit Season, Duck Season, Wabbit Season
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

+1000

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1000

I'm a hunter.  I support the second amendment, but......

I also support good sight picture and good trigger control too!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Fudd can be hard to define, but you definitely know one when you see one.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Only a Fudd can declare someone as a Fudd.
Who have you declared as a Fudd today?
It can't be me, was declared a Fudd long ago.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Any one that you disagree with on 2A issues, no matter how insignificant.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#22]
They wear funny hats and say waskelly wabbit
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

And this is how I know you are a FUDD.  But hell, you called that one, right?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Fudds are people whose interest in firearms is limited to hunting. This includes them only having hunting rifles and shotguns, them not touching their firearms outside of hunting season, and them supporting the RKBA only when it comes to firearms they use for hunting.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still don't care what you think. In case at some point you thought I might care
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#26]
It's an attitude
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a little compromise between friends, right?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You'll find a large gap between what people assert it means and how it is actually used.

The way it is used, any gun owner who is not - in a given range session - firing a military-style rifle while wearing at least one "tactical" accessory, is a fudd.

View Quote
In conversation, a fudd is a gun owner (usually a hunter) who, because they have no interest in handguns/surplus rifles/AR's/ etc,  assumes that such guns are pointless and that nobody "needs" one.  Often found using the phrase "I (insert pro-2a statement or firearms-related activity) BUT (insert retarded anti-gun statement here).  Most often found with wood-stocked bolt action deer gun, double barreled or long barreled pump shotgun, .22 rifle with tubular magazine (or wood stocked 10/22)  and MAYBE a canned ham Ruger.  

HOWEVER:  At the range or LGS, or in any story taking place at the range or LGS, a fudd is anyone who's AR has fewer linear feet of rails than mine.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Those gun owners who believe that the 2nd amendment is about hunting.
View Quote

According to SCOTUS the 2nd Amendment is about hunting, partly. Read the majority decision in Heller.

I have a RIGHT to own guns suitable for hunting.

I have a RIGHT to own guns suitable for personal protection.

I have a  RIGHT to own guns suitable for miltia service.

OP

A "Fudd" (from Elmer Fudd) is a gun owner that supports unconstitutional restriction on firearms that are well suited to combat.

We need to have a label for those gun owners that support unconstitutional restriction on firearms that are well suited to hunting. "Buggs" might be appropriate.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Poor Elmer is dragged through the mud because of some lukewarm gun owners.

I like them all (except for those high end shotguns).
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what parts of the 2A you're in disagreement with.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Thank you GD for this clarification!!  I thought a Fudd was an old guy who liked guns.  

Thank goodness!!   I'm NOT a Fudd!!!!!

Edit:  I'm not really "old" either...   Middle aged is more like it. Either way, I'm in the clear.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Exactly! Too many use it where it really should not apply, like to hunters in general. It is a certain type of person, not simply all who have mostly, or even all, traditional types of rifles, shotguns.

Get both!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Intolerance to anything beyond his own narrow interests. Pretty much what's wrong with a lot of people in this country.

"My way is the right way"
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#38]
fudds are people who are all for "hunting" rifles and shotguns

but are the assholes who would sell out the rest of us because they have no use for "handguns, silencers, semi-autos, and those damn machineguns"

Fudds piss me off
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#39]
double tap
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's pretty much the one. I say that based on eighteen years selling guns at retail.

It was especially revealing in New Jersey. I was there after the Florio ban in New Jersey and when the manufacturers made rifles that were compliant with the Clinton ban so we could sell them.

Elmer Fudd would out himself pretty quickly when we put the ARs back on the rack. He'd ask to look at an 1187, see the black rifles, and make some comment about how those should be illegal and what kind of a sicko needs a machine gun...

Even in New Jersey, he was pretty rare.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Fudd's are people who think the Second Amendment is about hunting.

Any asshat who says the above & then complains that "military" guns or polymer are "ugly" and have "no sporting purpose."

The other comments above help round it out--especially the "I support the Second Amendment, but...."

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#42]
My government cant even secure a border or win a war / kill or keep the enemy out.
So I believe any weapon I can physically carry should be legal ... whats that make me?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Fudd = Any gun owner who's against "evil black rifles" and of course against anything NFA. Any gun owner who says he's strongly in favor of the Second Amendment but who thinks it's about hunting or "sporting uses." In other words, a Fudd is a clueless "sportsman."

The problem with Fudds is that they give the antigunners the pretext to say that some gun owners agree with them. Fudds are the unknowing Fifth Column of the gun rights movement.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
FPNI , An example would be the local range that requires NRA membership to join and would allow no NFA . , They now allow limited NFA . The suppressor excuse was they wanted to hear the shooting . A friend of mine leased the adjoining property to shoot NFA and they went to the landowner and bought out the lease and leased the property themselves to keep him from shooting machine guns near the range . This would be Fudds . This is based on a true story .
View Quote

Holy crap that's some super king kamehameha fudd.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Google "Jim Zumbo"

He was a classic Fudd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Zumbo
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#46]
I work for a FUDD.....brags he only needs to shoot his rifle 3 times a year..2 sight in shots and 1 shot to kill a deer. He also says civilians have no need for military type weapons. Funny stuff....lol
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Someone who thinks that a 20 round box of 30-06 is sufficient for the entire year.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

"Fudd" is primarily used as a negative to describe anyone shooting a hunting style gun.  IMO it's very divisive and makes EBR owners come across the same as the Crossfit dorks of the fitness world.  The irony is, the number of ebr owners has exploded in recent years and I have no doubt that many using the Fudd term was once a "Fudd" themselves.  People who only own hunting guns are the majority of gun owners and are our primary recruiting pool for 2A support.  Don't shit in the pool.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#49]
My grandfather, several guys at the gun range, a lot of hunters and coworkers who all own guns,
but when they see something I own, whether it is a 500 magnum, black rifle, or BMG, and ask
"What do you need THAT for?"
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#50]
I've been called a Fudd before simply because I generally prefer classic firearms in wood and blue steel and I like to hunt.  Shit, I even own one of those LL Bean vests with the orange shoulders (gasp).  That in no way means that I don't support the right to own, use, and carry any kind of firearm.  I'm NRA life.  My interest in ARs comes and goes, but my support for gun rights does not.  Calling somebody a Fudd because they don't have the same type of gun as you is a little like saying somebody isn't a real driver because they don't like pickup trucks.

Don't tag a brown gun guy as a Fudd until you talk to him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top