Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I add a half cup of dark maple syrup to mine when do full sheets for chili.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had baked beans with it last night (not homemade Bush's) And I thought the only reason it was called cornbread is because it was made with cornmeal instead of flour. The pieces of corn being optional by the person.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The biggest problem I have with cornbread is there is almost never any actual corn in it.  Alton calls for creamed corn, which is close but you really don't get any big pieces.  I take two boxes of cheap Jiffy mix, mix in half a can of creamed corn, half a can of whole kernel, a half cup of Parmesan cheese, reduce the amount of liquid called for on the box and top with crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.  I do it at least once a month for dinner with baked beans on the side, first time I made it I was still in high school and my Mom still asks me to make it for the family when I visit.

I had baked beans with it last night (not homemade Bush's) And I thought the only reason it was called cornbread is because it was made with cornmeal instead of flour. The pieces of corn being optional by the person.

Oh I'm sure it's personal preference, but I haven't had a single person try mine and want to go back to corn"meal"bread.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Fried South Georgia cornbread.

Cook bacon

mix favorite cornbread mix

spoon into skillet like your making a pancake

fry brown on both sides

butter and eat

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

http://s2.pinchstatic.com/images/recipe/5/7/1/4/1/9/i.1.mLfddLzFjATnWbPPjyddQmJC7Fb0HRZmDZMEEdUDVos..jpg
Cook bacon

fry brown on both sides

butter and eat

View Quote
Those are johnnycakes.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Those are johnnycakes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s2.pinchstatic.com/images/recipe/5/7/1/4/1/9/i.1.mLfddLzFjATnWbPPjyddQmJC7Fb0HRZmDZMEEdUDVos..jpg

Cook bacon
fry brown on both sides

butter and eat

Those are johnnycakes.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
My bad cornbread

1 Cup cornmeal
1 Cup SR Flour
1 stick of melted butter
salt
pepper
herbs
garlic
jalapenos
2 eggs
1 cup milk

mix it up and pour it into a preheated skillet greased with a generous amount of beef fat.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]

That ain't cornbread.  Cornbread is round.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only thing I think that might not be okay is I used bread flour because there wasn't any all purpose left. Tastes fine though.
View Quote

Flour in cornbread?  Do you hate the world?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]

cast iron skillet or go home.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How do I know you're from the South?  Because you know what Crisco is, and know that it and Bacon Grease are one of the greatest things that ever happened to corn bread.
You also show NO sugar in that recipe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Recipe calls for 1/4 cup or oil I'm doubling that so is one stick of butter fine or will that mess up the recipe (nobody needs a half damn cup of oil in it) (Cornbread)

Hey, man, no oil.  And, no sugar, but since you're in PA I'm sure you'll do it anyway.

1 egg
1/2 cup bacon grease
2 cups buttermilk
selfrising cornmeal to a texture that I can't convey to you without being there (probably 2 cups)

If no selfrising cornmeal, you need 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder.

Mix, put in Crisco'd and HEATED 10" skillet, 25 minutes at 350 deg.

7th gen recipe from my people in the State of GA.

I salute you for making cornbread.  It's a lost art.

How do I know you're from the South?  Because you know what Crisco is, and know that it and Bacon Grease are one of the greatest things that ever happened to corn bread.

Sweet cornbread is of the Devil.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'll grant that you're not making cake (it shouldn't be sweet), but a one lil' ol' tablespoon of sugar in a batch is a nice touch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just use Alton Brown's recipe. The man is born, raised (and still living) in Georgia. A little sugar is fine.

Sugar is for tea, not cornbread.  

To quote Emeril, "you put sugar in it, you adulterate it."

I'll grant that you're not making cake (it shouldn't be sweet), but a one lil' ol' tablespoon of sugar in a batch is a nice touch.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Recipe calls for 1/4 cup or oil I'm doubling that so is one stick of butter fine or will that mess up the recipe (nobody needs a half damn cup of oil in it) (Cornbread)

Hey, man, no oil.  And, no sugar, but since you're in PA I'm sure you'll do it anyway.

1 egg
1/2 cup bacon grease
2 cups buttermilk
selfrising cornmeal to a texture that I can't convey to you without being there (probably 2 cups)

If no selfrising cornmeal, you need 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder.

Mix, put in Crisco'd and HEATED 10" skillet, 25 minutes at 350 deg.

7th gen recipe from my people in the State of GA.

I salute you for making cornbread.  It's a lost art.

I like sweet cornbread.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
  That's why you cook it in a cast iron skillet.

http://i.imgur.com/Wgr9IVS.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doesn't look dry. There would be a lot more crumbs from cutting it.

It's not but maybe shouldn't have made it so deep? Outside is a little crisp (slightly black on bottom, dark brown on very top.) I'm guessing if it was thinner the inside would have cooked before that happened.
  That's why you cook it in a cast iron skillet.

http://i.imgur.com/Wgr9IVS.png

-insert gif of Homer drooling-  I haven't had homemade corn bread in a long time. Dammit, now I want to make some! As soon as this baby is born, I am making some.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I cheat. My mom has been using this stuff for years and turned me onto it. Years ago it was called Cotton Picking Cornbread. They changed the name to be PC. I've made it for some of my black coworkers and they've told me that it was some of the best cornbread that they have ever tasted. If you use this mix, substitute milk for the water and add an egg. Preheat the oven to 450 then preheat the greased 9 inch skillet for 7 minutes add the batter and start checking it in 9 -12 minutes. It has the consistency of cake and is not sweet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I made Alton Brown's recipe. Everything except kosher salt (used normal) and it's so great.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

We need to get you a better camera, or at least some decent lighting to help the poor thing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We need to get you a better camera, or at least some decent lighting to help the poor thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Also needs a stick of butter put in the skillet and allowed to melt while it preheats in the oven.  That gives you the crispy edges.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also needs a stick of butter put in the skillet and allowed to melt while it preheats in the oven.  That gives you the crispy edges.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I preheated lard in the pan. Although the first time I forgot half the cornmeal so I had to take it out, wash all it off the pan, remake the batter and do it again...
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Looks better. But cut into triangles.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top