BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 310
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's actually clear what it will look like. It's going to be like Mass Effect with 4 options per selection (one for each of the 4 buttons on the controller). Question options at at the top. Negative responses are to the right. And positive ones are to the left. You have to select one to find out what your character will say.

All of the 8 times dialog appears in the demo it fits that model

They definitely dumbed it down

http://i.imgur.com/5gVghQT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zXbeTEZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TRhofNh.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should keep the companions like Skyrim - once they are damaged to the point of death, they collapse and crawl on the ground. Enemies will ignore them, and they're out for pretty much the rest of the fight. They CAN die if they get hit by an errant fireball, but will recover in short order once danger is done.

I'm more upset at the dialogue wheel. The ludicrous dialogue was the best part of the series.

http://new2.fjcdn.com/comments/In+fallout+new+vegas+if+you+set+your+intelligence+to+_efed80cd81cb5dfb498651d221538828.jpg
Hard to say what the dialog will look like based off of the demo.

It's actually clear what it will look like. It's going to be like Mass Effect with 4 options per selection (one for each of the 4 buttons on the controller). Question options at at the top. Negative responses are to the right. And positive ones are to the left. You have to select one to find out what your character will say.

Quit your bitching!

I can guarantee this game is going to be fucking awesome and assuming you actually play it you'll forget about the "dumbed down" dialogue options about 30 seconds after you start playing it. Plenty of games change/simplify some core mechanics as sequels are released. Sure sometimes it's for the worse like Deus Ex 2 having universal ammo. However look at XCOM. That game kicked fucking ass and it was quite a bit different from the original in terms of turn based mechanics. Some would say it was dumbed down. I don't care. It kicked serious ass. Skyrim had some dumbed down mechanics too according to some people. That game kicked serious ass too.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder what they were working on when they were done with new vegas and moved that team to work on FO4
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:21:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I wonder what they were working on when they were done with new vegas and moved that team to work on FO4
View Quote
Fallout NV was subcontracted out mostly or entirely to Obsidian, a developer with many employees that worked on the original Fallout games. Oblivion > Fallout 3 > Skyrim > Fallout 4 > The Elder Scrolls 6.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:27:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Never played these games before.  Is it one of those series where I need to buy 1-3 to understand?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
People ITT complaining about new game mechanics:

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Never played these games before.  Is it one of those series where I need to buy 1-3 to understand?
View Quote

Nope, the story is explained pretty well in each one. And each takes place in a different city so the little details don't connect too much.

But you should anyway.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:34:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to hell, Doc Mitchell.
I'm going to steal literally everything that isn't nailed down in your house and pawn it for caps.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:43:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  I never played 1 or 2, only played 3 and NV.  There wasn't really any important story that connects the two.

The hardest thing to learn when you're starting out is the level/perk systems.  There's so many options I usually read an overview tutorial before I begin a new game.  It's not mandatory, but doing so will give you a more powerful character to play with.  Your decision/dialogue choices permanently change the outcome of your game too, so I also kinda like to read my options before I make decisions in my games.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:45:09 AM EDT
[#9]
That pip boy is going to be so much more awesome than the lunchbox I got with FO3.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:33:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Eh... Can't decide if I'm buying this one.

On one hand I like the 1950's vibe.

On the other hand everything else depresses the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:43:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Anybody figure out what the different SPECIAL stats actually do for your wanderers in Fallout Shelter? I got Colonel Autumn in a lunchbox and he's like near maxed in every stat and he finds bullshit out in the wastes. Good news is I give him 15 stimpacks/radaway but he levels up and autoheals so much he never uses them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:44:23 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]Originally Posted By Mikhail_86

Only survivor of Vault 111 and you wake up 200 years later. You are pre-war
View Quote

[Zoidberg] Pre-war! And not a ghoul, even! [/Zoidberg]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not sure. But how will you know the dialog is going to be fun/ridiculous based off a one or two word option? That's the issue
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should keep the companions like Skyrim - once they are damaged to the point of death, they collapse and crawl on the ground. Enemies will ignore them, and they're out for pretty much the rest of the fight. They CAN die if they get hit by an errant fireball, but will recover in short order once danger is done.

I'm more upset at the dialogue wheel. The ludicrous dialogue was the best part of the series.
http://new2.fjcdn.com/comments/In+fallout+new+vegas+if+you+set+your+intelligence+to+_efed80cd81cb5dfb498651d221538828.jpg
Hard to say what the dialog will look like based off of the demo.

What I meant was how do we know what sort of dialog we're going to have based on the demo?  Can you really say you know that there won't be any ridiculous and fun dialog?

Not sure. But how will you know the dialog is going to be fun/ridiculous based off a one or two word option? That's the issue
There may be one option for "herp" and one for "derp"?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go to hell, Doc Mitchell.
I'm going to steal literally everything that isn't nailed down in your house and pawn it for caps.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#15]
As far as dialog is concerned, he said the voice actors for the PC each recorded over 13,000 lines of dialog. There very well may be plainly of dialog options, based on perks of stats, previous quests, rep, karma... whatever. Sure we may not know what they're going to say exactly, but I'm fine with that. Sometimes surprises are good.

No skills bothers me, but I suppose I'll get used to it. SPECIAL seems more important now than it did in the previous Bethesda games.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That pip boy is going to be so much more awesome than the lunchbox I got with FO3.
View Quote

I wish I had a FO:3 Lunchbox, I was in Iraq when it came out and seriously considered having a family member get me a special edition but alas, I am dumb
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wish I had a FO:3 Lunchbox, I was in Iraq when it came out and seriously considered having a family member get me a special edition but alas, I am dumb
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like you....well except I wasn't in the sandbox (thank you for your service), I didn't get the CE of FO3 when it came out. About a year ago on a whim I did a search on Ebay for it and found a new unopened box for $45 for PC. I bought it; of course I opened it up to make sure it wasn't repackaged but it was all there.

They are still available on Ebay; except now what with the announcement and release date for FO4 expect them to be ridiculously priced.

Fallout 3 Collector's Edition
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anybody figure out what the different SPECIAL stats actually do for your wanderers in Fallout Shelter? I got Colonel Autumn in a lunchbox and he's like near maxed in every stat and he finds bullshit out in the wastes. Good news is I give him 15 stimpacks/radaway but he levels up and autoheals so much he never uses them.
View Quote

No idea what they do in the wastes, just what rooms production they affect. He must be a rare card.
What's his lvl/stats?

ETA I just read a sticky that says the longer the player survives in the wastes the better shit they find.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#19]
He was out for 9 hours and found a bunch of crap. He comes like level 23 with a unique cost that raises a bunch of stats pretty high.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I  am glad the companions are optional.

I may get the pooch, but leave him at 'home base'.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He was out for 9 hours and found a bunch of crap. He comes like level 23 with a unique cost that raises a bunch of stats pretty high.
View Quote

Most of the good armor/weapons I've got from cards
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same.

I send dwellers with shit stats out to explore. If they find something, cool. If they die... oh well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I am tempted to play New Vegas again
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I send dwellers with shit stats out to explore. If they find something, cool. If they die... oh well.
View Quote

I send my badass with like 15 stim packs and let him maraud all night when I'm asleep. He's used 1 stimpack so far.

He just finds crap. Maybe I need to up his luck, but its at like a 9 already.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Send them out with stim packs and radaways.... If they die just pay to revive them and recall them immedietly.

I forgot about a guy out there for a day and he came back with all kinds of good shit.

Pro tip - Naughty Nightwear will cause your characters to bang within about 30 seconds. Then send their asses back to work. Also helps if they are unhappy
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

As far as dialog is concerned, he said the voice actors for the PC each recorded over 13,000 lines of dialog. There very well may be plainly of dialog options, based on perks of stats, previous quests, rep, karma... whatever. Sure we may not know what they're going to say exactly, but I'm fine with that. Sometimes surprises are good.

No skills bothers me, but I suppose I'll get used to it. SPECIAL seems more important now than it did in the previous Bethesda games.

View Quote
You can probably choose between verbose or short dialog options.  Short for those who don't like to reed lol

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Like you....well except I wasn't in the sandbox (thank you for your service), I didn't get the CE of FO3 when it came out. About a year ago on a whim I did a search on Ebay for it and found a new unopened box for $45 for PC. I bought it; of course I opened it up to make sure it wasn't repackaged but it was all there.

They are still available on Ebay; except now what with the announcement and release date for FO4 expect them to be ridiculously priced.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll wait until they come back down again. Be cool to send my kid to school with his lunch packed in it.

I was really surprised when I searched eBay a few weeks ago with the prices stuff has shot up to. I saw just a platinum chip going for over $30!

Still trying to find a quality NCR full size flag for my wall
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're not already? I started new characters in both FO3 and FONV when I heard the announcement lol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck the NCR

I want this flag

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#31]
One of these days I'm going to build an NCR Service Rifle replica out of a real AR-15.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You're not already? I started new characters in both FO3 and FONV when I heard the announcement lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combine them both.

Tales of Two Wastelands.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'll wait until they come back down again. Be cool to send my kid to school with his lunch packed in it.

I was really surprised when I searched eBay a few weeks ago with the prices stuff has shot up to. I saw just a platinum chip going for over $30!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been looking for a flag too. Haven't come across anything yet that's been reasonable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Apparently the robot butler (Codsworth) is one of the companion options. "Justice is served, foul ruffians!"

ETA: He appears to be voiced by John Cleese.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Send them out with stim packs and radaways.... If they die just pay to revive them and recall them immedietly.

I forgot about a guy out there for a day and he came back with all kinds of good shit.

Pro tip - Naughty Nightwear will cause your characters to bang within about 30 seconds. Then send their asses back to work. Also helps if they are unhappy
View Quote

My first shot at a vault I had one guy who impregnated every female in the vault multiple times, think there was 7 or 8 of them. I had one room that I left the guy in and just went around to every female and sent her over to receive.   It was ridiculous as half the vault had the same last name.

I misunderstood the need for living quarters and way overbuilt so I restarted. Haven't gotten around to mass breeding this time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Apparently the robot butler (Codsworth) is one of the companion options. "Justice is served, foul ruffians!"
View Quote

It would be cool if you could upgrade him to run a Mr. Gutsy OS AND give him better weapons.

The Mr.Gutsys always cracked me up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It would be cool if you could upgrade him to run a Mr. Gutsy OS AND give him better weapons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sgt. RL-3 was the best sniper spotter/support you could ask for.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will see if I can find mine for you. It is stilling in the basement in a box somewhere. It is not a full size lunch box. It wouldn't hold a thermos for example.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I've been looking for a flag too. Haven't come across anything yet that's been reasonable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bought this patch for my collection

NCR Patch on Amazon

ETA: Oh, and here's a 3x5 ft flag...

NCR Flag on Amazon
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You can probably choose between verbose or short dialog options.  Short for those who don't like to reed lol  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of the dialogue options from F3 and NV were hilarious, so I get the concern, but if implemented correctly, i feel this could be just as good if not better.  It gives you the ability to quickly run through the dialogue if you so choose or be more exploratory in your question/conversations.

I felt like Mass Effect (It's my favorite game series, so yes, i'm biased) did an amazing job with the dialogue wheel.  It gives you just enough of an idea of what you're going to be saying with out requiring you to read a bunch of word for word dialogue.  I mean really, in ME2, when you get a dialogue option that says "Shoot his foot", it's rather perfectly clear where that "conversation" is going.   And of course, who wouldn't want to shoot Conrad in the foot, after all??

If the voice acting talent is good for your character, it opens up a whole new world of experience when it comes to story telling.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Hella Wicked Pissa Edition
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Lulz
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

ETA: He appears to be voiced by John Cleese.
View Quote

https://prettyinpixel.wordpress.com/2015/06/16/things-we-learned-from-todd-howards-e3-interview/
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I will see if I can find mine for you. It is stilling in the basement in a box somewhere. It is not a full size lunch box. It wouldn't hold a thermos for example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would love you forever, no homo
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Bought this patch for my collection

NCR Patch on Amazon

ETA: Oh, and here's a 3x5 ft flag...

NCR Flag on Amazon
View Quote

Yeah thats the flag I always find too, colors don't look good.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#47]

You win the internet today.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I've come to the conclusion after looking at the dialogue stuff there are obviously 4 choices being per the face buttons on the console controllers. I believe these will be for example

XBOX/PS4

Y/Triangle= Question/negative answer

X/Square=Question/positive answer

A/X=Positive/end conversation

B/O=Negative/end conversation
After the talk with the Mr. Handy they press A and the conversation ends. Same with the conversation with the dog, they press A and the dialogue ends.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I've come to the conclusion after looking at the dialogue stuff there are obviously 4 choices being per the face buttons on the console controllers. I believe these will be for example

XBOX/PS4

Y/Triangle= Question/negative answer

X/Square=Question/positive answer

A/X=Positive/end conversation

B/O=Negative/end conversation

After the talk with the Mr. Handy they press A and the conversation ends. Same with the conversation with the dog, they press A and the dialogue ends.

View Quote

Damn console peasants messin' with muh Fallout.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Todd Howard interview

Page / 310
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top