User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A Turtle Sundae is one of the ways we know God loves us!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty good for fast food.

Only "fast food" place I eat at.

Cheese curds are good. So is the custard.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

QFT.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Cottage Cheese????? Surely you jest. Go there now. Order cheese curds. Report back. Wisconsin is waiting on you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheese Curds...you mean like Cottage Cheese?

I just discovered that I have one nearby about a month ago.  I may have to try them out.

Cottage Cheese????? Surely you jest. Go there now. Order cheese curds. Report back. Wisconsin is waiting on you.

Friggin' cheese Curds are banned on the west coast, and between Virginia to Maine.

They give Militant Vegans, Hippies, and Liberal Soccer moms the Vapors.

Half of what is wrong with Mexifornia, could be cured with PROPER fresh Cheese curds, and a woodchipper for those who turn their nose up.

I understand why Curds aren't found in MIssissippi, Louisianna, Bama, and the deep south in general.
They can be fried. Those folks fry everything.
Introducing the Fried Curd to the deep south, would result in a Mass Coronary event, and kill millions.

Culvers does OK with the Curds.
They aren't really fresh outside of central Wisc. Unless there is a good dairy nearby, folks wont know what fresh Curds are anyhow.

Fresh Curds scream a little when you bite them.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#4]
recently moved to an area that has one.  Best fast food burger I've had in a VERY long time.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Friggin' cheese Curds are banned on the west coast, and between Virginia to Maine.

Half of what is wrong with Mexifornia, could be cured with PROPER fresh Cheese curds, and a woodchipper for those who turn their nose up.

I understand why Curds aren't found in MIssissippi, Louisianna, Bama, and the deep south in general.
Introducing the Fried Curd to the deep south, would result in a Mass Coronary event, and kill millions.

They aren't really fresh outside of central Wisc. Unless there is a good dairy nearby, folks wont know what fresh Curds are anyhow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just discovered that I have one nearby about a month ago.  I may have to try them out.

There happens to be a "Location Suggestion" entry in their "Leave a Comment" section on their website. I just begged and pleaded for a Culver's in California.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely better than McDonalds, BK and the like.  I like their food, just try not to eat it too often.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They're building one in my neighborhood and it never seen one. I heard they're from Wisconsin. Any good?
View Quote

The custard is the best, the food is meh.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There happens to be a "Location Suggestion" entry in their "Leave a Comment" section on their website. I just begged and pleaded for a Culver's in California.
View Quote

A lot of restaurants refuse to do business in CA due to the cost and regulations.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The food is decent, but not great. Overpriced for what it is.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Pot Roast sandwich

Pork Tenderloin sandwich
Burgers are good for fast food.
They do a thick custard-based shake, which lot's of people love, but I don't.
The fried cheese curds are OK - for people who've never had real fresh fried curds.
They are pure heaven when they have the seasonal walleye filet on the menu.  It's 'Oh My GOD' amazing.  Big crispy crunchy battered filet of the best tasting freshwater fish there is.  I think it's February through Easter.
My mouth is watering just thinking of it...
I recommend ordering it WITHOUT tartar sauce.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A lot of restaurants refuse to do business in CA due to the cost and regulations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They're well run with polite, courteous employees. I like their food. They serve custard instead of ice cream have a GREAT lemon ice at some locations. You can get a Pot Roast sandwich or a Pork Tenderloin sandwich as well as the usual hamburger stuff. It has lots of stuff on the menu a Midwesterner would take for granted so as a displaced one I appreciate them a lot.

And during Lent they serve Walleye as a fish option!!!!  
View Quote

The menu is not exactly the same at all of them. Some have walleye every week. I know one that does specials, like chili one day per week.

Their food is nothing to rave about but it's pretty good for fast food. Certainly much better than McDonalds or BK.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The menu is not exactly the same at all of them. Some have walleye every week. I know one that does specials, like chili one day per week.

Their food is nothing to rave about but it's pretty good for fast food. Certainly much better than McDonalds or BK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They're well run with polite, courteous employees. I like their food. They serve custard instead of ice cream have a GREAT lemon ice at some locations. You can get a Pot Roast sandwich or a Pork Tenderloin sandwich as well as the usual hamburger stuff. It has lots of stuff on the menu a Midwesterner would take for granted so as a displaced one I appreciate them a lot.

And during Lent they serve Walleye as a fish option!!!!  

I need to move to that city.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Culvers better than INO?

Oh, wait, you're serious.

Let me laugh even harder.

Let me put it this way...

I don't have either near my house.  I travel a few times a year to both the West Coast and the Midwest.  I'm a completely impartial observer here.  I have no hometown favorite to root for.

In the Midwest, Culver's is the only option.  I don't mean the best option.  I mean the only option.  Aside from a few oases like Chicago, St. Louis, etc, the Midwest is a food desert.  It's nothing but deep fried shit covered in ranch dressing, watery beer, and frozen pizza.  I'm not trying to insult you guys, and I understand the cultural appeal of your "specialties" like pasties (which are English poor people food anyhow, and you also make them wrong), that imitation poutine thing, imitation German food, whatever the fuck a hotdish is (apparently you just dump tater tots and baked beans together, I guess?)...  Look, I get it.  It's all comfort food, and there's a strong cultural appeal to it.  That's the value - not whether it's really that good, but whether everyone thinks it's good, which they do.  You guys have a better food identity than most of the country, and you're not stuck up about it.  That's a really great thing.  It's humble and it's welcoming.  But...  it's just not that great.

The West Coast is the opposite.  The food is awesome.  Any type of cuisine you can imagine is done well, and local specialties, of which there are dozens, are exemplary.  Anywhere in Southern CA, you can order fish tacos, and they're going to be fucking incredible.  Oh, some places are still better than others.  That's the nature of the game, that somebody is going to win.  But I've not once had a bad one, even from the shadiest Mexican joint imaginable.  But, there's no cultural inclusion there.  People don't sit down with each other to share a meal and reminisce about the last time they enjoyed the local specialty.  They just eat great food, expecting it to be great, because it has always been great.  Great is normal.  It's not particularly welcoming.  It's gastronomically better in every conceivable way...  but it's not friendly.  People don't value it.  They'll defend it with zeal, which is well and good, but they don't celebrate it.

That's the appeal of the Midwest.  You guys are the underdogs.  Nothing you do is by-the-numbers better than anything on either coast.  But you've got fuckin spirit.  You're a team.  You get shit done, and you take pride in it.  You hold your heads up, stick together, and when the world is like, "Hey, what do you got for a fast food burger?"  you're like, you know what?  Maybe it's not the best, but it's good quality, and we're going to do our own thing.  You're going to serve it to you with pride, and it's going to be something both good and unique.

You don't have to be better than INO.  You're not anyhow, so it makes no difference, but that doesn't matter to you.  You're going to keep doing what you do, and rightly being proud of that.  That's what I like most about Culver's.

But in the Midwest, I eat at Culver's because I have to.
On the West Coast, I eat at INO because I want to.

That's just the way it is.  But that's fine.  Don't try to be INO.  You gotta do you.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/xenoblade/images/9/92/He's_right_you_know.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150320192210

That's absolutely ridiculous, unless you have only been to small farm towns in the Midwest. There are thousands of great restaurants in Milwaukee and Chicago, but there are also great restaurants in the north woods; it's just tougher to find them. Culvers is a place to eat when you are in a hurry or hungover, not "the only place to eat". And now that 5 Guys, Chik Fil A, Firehouse, etc are adding more locations in WI, Culvers won't even be the best fast food at pitstops on the interstate.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ah, didn't realize one was in SRQ when I flew in and out of there a couple times. Wonder if it's newer.

I'd have stopped at the new one when I was in Bradenton every other day. Oh well, I'm not anymore.

One of a few fast food places I'll partake, when I do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The curds are good.

The shakes are good.

"Butterburgers" are...  eh.  I mean, not bad, but it's still a fast food burger.

I would rather have In-n-Out, but I also like cheese curds.

Ranch dressing is disgusting.  lol

In-N-Out doesn't hold a flame to Culver's. INO sucks donkey balls.

Where in florida is one being built?

Shame on you!

There is one in SRQ on University and another is getting  finished  up on Sr70 in Bradenton/LWR.

They are expensive for what you get.  If you like buttered buns/bread you will like Culver's.

Ah, didn't realize one was in SRQ when I flew in and out of there a couple times. Wonder if it's newer.

I'd have stopped at the new one when I was in Bradenton every other day. Oh well, I'm not anymore.

One of a few fast food places I'll partake, when I do.

The one on University has been there about nine months or so.  It's close to 301.  The one on SR70 just opened.

You could just skip it all together and go to the Hob Nob on 301, order a Hob Nob Onion Ring basket and call it a day.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their curds are ok if you are starving, but they suck compared to the battered white cheddar curds that a lot of bars serve.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I like Culvers, wish we had them here.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Culvers is my goto fast food place.  Try the double bacon cheese butterburger basket.  Their fish sammich and pork tenderloin are good too.  Their frozen custard rocks as well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Food is tasty, but very high calorie.  

There was an interesting article on Culver's in Forbes Magazine about 3-4 years ago, re: much of Culver's advertising bucks are subtly directed to get customers to buy one of the custard desserts-----and IIRC, the average store gross margin on the desserts was in the range of 75-80%-----almost pure profit.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They are well run, very clean, and have GREAT (for fast) food.  You will like it.  
View Quote

Also, very polite.  Nicest service I've ever gotten in a fast food place, at every location I've ever been.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#21]
The only one I have eaten at was in Marshalltown Iowa , good food.

Home of the butter burger.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
People fall into 2 camps.  In and out or Culvers.

I would eat at a Culvers as much as I could.  And die a happy death due to a heart attack.
View Quote

I've had both and prefer Culver's. No idea about the ones outside of Wisconsin, but the ones I ate at in Wisconsin had good, hot burgers with clean restaurants and friendly workers.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Let me give you a perfect example of what I mean by Midwest v. the coasts.

Say you go into a non-chain, semi-casual restaurant.  Neighborhood, locally-owned place, maybe even regionally famous.  The kind of joint that gets a lot of repeat business.

On the coasts, you'll pay your money and you'll get a good meal.  After a few repeat visits, you'll get to know the people there, and maybe develop a rapport.  The bartender will remember your favorite drink, the owner will wave hi as he walks the tables, maybe you'll make some chatter about current events of local interest.  The menu will be good stuff, often with seasonal options, and pared down to maybe 25-30 items.  They may or may not have a chef's special of the day/week.  Maybe they'll have a rotating soup or vegetable.  Generally ordered a la carte, but entrees come with a choice of two sides.  That sort of thing.  Everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about here.

But the Midwest...  It's like you teleported back in time to the 1980s.  If there was a smoking section, I'd swear I was back in 1985.  Booths with the back-to-back benches and tables not attached to the floor or anything.  Small chairs for fat butts.  Some places don't have free refills on soda.  There's a glass-front deli cooler at the front door that showcases all the cakes and pies for dessert (and you have a fuckton).  The waitress waddles up to your table beaming with joy and starts making small talk.  No rush, what are you in town for, well, my sister's husband just...  and this is normal.  Patrons at one table will talk to patrons at another table.  Aw, you like the Packers?  Me too!  Go Packers!  And then there's the question that comes as a complete surprise.  What kind of dressing do you want on your salad?  My salad?  But I only ordered a chicken sandwich.  That's okay, everything comes with a salad.  Remember that shit from your childhood?  And it's in the fake wooden bowl, with sliced tomatoes (obviously from the sandwich prep station), canned black olives, the red onion slice thoughtfully placed on top so it can be removed if you don't like raw onion...  Everybody gets a fucking salad.  No reason, it's just polite.  It's hospitality.  And the menu...  holy shit, there's got to be a hundred things on this damn menu.  Why would you ever have so much shit on there?  And it never changes.  Oh, you might get a special once in a while, but it's just going to be some variation on a regular menu item.  Oh, it's the "cowboy" burger!  We put barbecue sauce on it.  Ooooh, that sounds fancy.

It's the fuckin salad, though.  It's simple, it hardly costs anything, but nobody on the coasts does it.  Oh, you can order a side salad.  But that takes something away from the meal.  The Midwest, no matter what you order, you're getting ten pieces of lettuce, two tomato slices, and some other small things.  It's the smallest of things, and so easily overlooked, but it's that mark of hospitality that makes all the difference.

You can't do that on the coasts.  You'll tie up a table for 90 minutes.  You'll go out of business.  You've got food to serve and taxes to pay.  A half empty restaurant with friendly service and free shit?  You'd last 3 months in any coastal state.

But not in the Midwest.  You'll be the anchor of the damn community.

Crazy.  It's like a different planet out there.
View Quote

Yep.  And if we could put up walls, it'd stay that way.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man speaks the truth.  

A&W does have some sort of fried cheese things which are sort of like shitty yellow cheese sticks.  Not even close to the real thing.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#25]
It's not bad, certainly a cut above most fast food but it's too greasy for me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I EFFING love Culvers.

Nuff said.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Better than average food and staffed by much better than normal fast food restaurant employees  
View Quote

Currently my favorite fast food joint. took my dad there a few months ago and he's a junky now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Try the onion burger. Prepare your angus.
View Quote

Haha what I came to post
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I got introduced to them in Wisconsin on a trip to visit some family. Really liked the food. Now one just opened in Central Florida. The curds are not as fresh here but still good. The post roast sandwich and the prime rib sandwich are also very good. I concur with the great rootbeer. Even the diet rootbeer is great.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#30]
New port Richie area?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Haha what I came to post
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha what I came to post

What is this onion burger you speak of?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I quit going because the one near me continually fucked up my order.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Good burgers, clean places and hopefully, you'll get the same quality ice cream and frozen custard as we get here.

My family from back east loves the place every time they come out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Fantastic.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#35]
absolutely
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Pretty good but still not White Castle!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Food is tasty, but very high calorie.  

There was an interesting article on Culver's in Forbes Magazine about 3-4 years ago, re: much of Culver's advertising bucks are subtly directed to get customers to buy one of the custard desserts-----and IIRC, the average store gross margin on the desserts was in the range of 75-80%-----almost pure profit.
View Quote

I've been to Culver's probably 50 times and I've never gotten one of their frozen custards...
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pretty good but still not White Castle!
View Quote

Are you trying to be funny? White Castle is the only chain in the country that's actually worse than McDonalds.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Pot roast sandwich for me
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The curds are good.

The shakes are good.

"Butterburgers" are...  eh.  I mean, not bad, but it's still a fast food burger.

I would rather have In-n-Out, but I also like cheese curds.

Ranch dressing is disgusting.  lol
View Quote

The guy from Maryland nailed it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I see this a Wisconsin bashing thread now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#42]
It's about the only fast food I will eat.  Love their burgers.

I've always liked thin patties piled high vs. super thick burgers though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

They are well run, very clean, and have GREAT (for fast) food.  You will like it.  
View Quote
It's good for fast food. Better service too

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I've been a few times.  It's pretty good.  They use big onion pieces on the burgers, not that cut up little bull shit like McDonald's.

Nice enough for a first date.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Pot Roast sandwich
Pork Tenderloin sandwich

Burgers are good for fast food.

They do a thick custard-based shake, which lot's of people love, but I don't.

The fried cheese curds are OK - for people who've never had real fresh fried curds.

They are pure heaven when they have the seasonal walleye filet on the menu.  It's 'Oh My GOD' amazing.  Big crispy crunchy battered filet of the best tasting freshwater fish there is.  I think it's February through Easter.

My mouth is watering just thinking of it...

I recommend ordering it WITHOUT tartar sauce.

http://foodirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/4405892395_27dbf031e9.jpg

View Quote

Oh damn, I've never seen that there, not that I've looked too hard though. I'll have to hit that up. Walleye is some good eating
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Double deluxe Butterburger, cheese curds and custard

I'm going to have to look for that walleye sandwich, though.  It looks great.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty good for fast food.

Only "fast food" place I eat at.

Cheese curds are good. So is the custard.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

If you like the Turtle Sundaes, ask for a Turtle Concrete Mixer when you're on the go and can't stop for a sundae.  They are just about the best damned thing you can put in a cup with a straw.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I fucking love Culvers.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to see how far down I would have to scroll,

Ryan's an ARF institution now joined by Culver's.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Culver's is worth a try.

Just wait for a couple of weeks for them to work the bugs out of the new location.  Go when the staff has a little bit of experience under their belt.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top