BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because if you go to the symphony, only one of the two or three pieces they play will be any good to someone without technical interest in the music. And it will be the last piece. The first two will either be technical pieces--ones that are difficult to play, but boring to listen to. A lot of Rachmaninoff falls into this category. The alternative for the first two will be some sort of "alternative" classical, where there's some gimmick to it, like playing four percussion instruments by holding two sticks in each hand. Again, the chances of this being interesting from a listener perspective is slim.

My wife and I love classical music--but we listen at home, since we got tired of listening to crap at the symphony.
View Quote

I would say you're wrong, because symphony halls are often full.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's tough not to like the guy. He's got the important stuff about life figured out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
He currently lives in Brooklyn, New York but maintains his loyalty to Chicago sports teams and thin crust pizza cut in squares.

It's tough not to like the guy. He's got the important stuff about life figured out.

+1
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So its a dance thing? Western rhythms don't lend themselves to modern dance as does say a more aboriginal or African rhythm might?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't twerk to Tchaikovsky.

So its a dance thing? Western rhythms don't lend themselves to modern dance as does say a more aboriginal or African rhythm might?

I'm on the other side of this.  I like classical.  I like electronic music, too.  It can be dance oriented with a faster beat or slower ambient music.  I also like jazz.

Reallly, I like most instrumetal music as in without lyrics.  I think it takes much more creativity to compose music then to just sing some crap lyrics.  If you take the lyrics away, a lot of songs get better.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm on the other side of this.  I like classical.  I like electronic music, too.  It can be dance oriented with a faster beat or slower ambient music.  I also like jazz.

Reallly, I like most instrumetal music as in without lyrics.  I think it takes much more creativity to compose music then to just sing some crap lyrics.  If you take the lyrics away, a lot of songs get better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't twerk to Tchaikovsky.

That's another thing I hear from people when they hear the music I listen to.  "Where are the words?  You can't sing to it!"  Uh, yeah, that's because it doesn't require words.  Where is it written that music must have lyrics?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Really. It's the popular music of it's day. Being really old doesn't mean that it requires any special skill to listen to.

In a couple of hundred years people will be saying the same shit about Metallica and Britney.

This is precisely what drives a lot of people away from it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It requires intelligence.
We don't do intelligence much anymore.

Really. It's the popular music of it's day. Being really old doesn't mean that it requires any special skill to listen to.

In a couple of hundred years people will be saying the same shit about Metallica and Britney.

This is precisely what drives a lot of people away from it.

So lemme see if I have this straight here... the mathematical perfection contained in the sublime craftwork of J.S. Bach is of no more lasting value to humanity than Britney Spears or Metallica? Got it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because if you go to the symphony, only one of the two or three pieces they play will be any good to someone without technical interest in the music. And it will be the last piece. The first two will either be technical pieces--ones that are difficult to play, but boring to listen to. A lot of Rachmaninoff falls into this category. The alternative for the first two will be some sort of "alternative" classical, where there's some gimmick to it, like playing four percussion instruments by holding two sticks in each hand. Again, the chances of this being interesting from a listener perspective is slim.

My wife and I love classical music--but we listen at home, since we got tired of listening to crap at the symphony.

The question was about the masses. Given the sad state of classical radio stations, I don't think you can call it popular with the masses. The number of performances is limited to maximize seating--and then the stuff that is popular, like Final Fantasy or the Pokemon shows, often have only one or two performances.

ETA: and in most (all?) cases, a symphony here in the states only exists because corporations fund them for the tax benefits.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#7]
One of my favorites:

Sends shivers down my spine no matter how many times I listen to it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#8]

for the same reason they read People magazine and don't read things like War and Peace
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

for the same reason they read People magazine and don't read things like War and Peace
View Quote

No one reads War and Peace, not even the author.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the answer can be found in Closed Captioning. I was just watching a TV show with the captions on and it said "Scary music" "Sneaky music" etc.

The reality is that different music goes well with different activities. If you go to Amazon Prime music, there's workout music, dance music and reading/studying music.

Hard Rock - music to lift weights.
Hip Hop - music to dance.
Classical - music to think.

Which of those three do you see modern Americans doing the least? There's your answer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I hate harpsichords.  The pianoforte was the greatest invention in human history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Harpsichords.  They should be banned.

Also the quiet-talking DJ's, like they're golf announcers or NPR faghoots.

I hate harpsichords.  The pianoforte was the greatest invention in human history.

That's one of the most fascinating things to me.   In the scale of human history, the piano is a VERY very young invention.  It's still the gold standard for composers but who even knows what we are going to come up with next.  

To still be alive in 100 years.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#12]
your great,great,great grandparents where fuckin like bunnies to that shit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It requires a nice stereo to truly appreciate, and a lot of people are baroque in this economy.
View Quote

Ha!
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
So much of popularity in music for the last fifty or more years has been personality driven. The performers themselves have been as much, if not more of a draw, than the music. Would Elvis have been anything if he had not been good looking with the pelvic thrust? The.Beatles music at the time of the Ed Sullivan show was pretty boring, but they were dreamy. Pop, country, rap, metal , etc. are all very much driven by the personalities and image of the performers. Not that there hasn't been some great music, but popularity is far more than just the music itself.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So much of popularity in music for the last fifty or more years has been personality driven. The performers themselves have been as much, if not more of a draw, than the music. Would Elvis have been anything if he had not been good looking with the pelvic thrust? The.Beatles music at the time of the Ed Sullivan show was pretty boring, but they were dreamy. Pop, country, rap, metal , etc. are all very much driven by the personalities and image of the performers. Not that there hasn't been some great music, but popularity is far more than just the music itself.

View Quote

There were a few superstars that people went to see play their own music, like Lizst, Paganini, Mozart and others.  They were the rock stars of their time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Ignorance.  Classical music is fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#18]
More.

3 hour string induced trance.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:31:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Music has consistently been behind the curve when it comes to advancements in the other parts of culture. Art, poetry, and other forms of high culture have made consistent advancements in the last 100 years and have finally caught up to where the other mediums are today.

What we hear when we listen to classical music is often the inability to convey emotion and ideas in a manner that painters as sculptures were able to do so during that time. This is why most classical music meanders and has tons of notes and parts that don't particularly evoke an emotion or response. And, if they do, it is staggeringly small compared to the works of most modern composers and musicians.

Very few classical pieces used motifs, which is an incredibly powerful and essential song writing tool. It isn't because there was some lofty goal that exists outside the motif. It's because they had no fucking clue how to write a song.
View Quote

Most ignorant post in this thread.  You should do some research before posting stupid shit like this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Thing is...
Hundred(s) of years after Bethoven, Vivaldi et al were around people still listen to their work.

I seriously doubt anyone will give a shit about Taylor Swift and Kanye West even 50 years from now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I listen to it from time to time...I find most of it soothing, some of it exciting.

As for why the masses have abandoned it:

1)  Many have told me they don't understand it, and that is the answer I get with why they don't listen to jazz also.  It's almost like they think there is an intellectual component required to listen to that stuff and that listening to it for enjoyment is beyond them.

2)  Attention spans...most people these days don't have them...

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top