Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/20/2015 2:33:04 PM EDT
I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to start keeping a rifle in the trunk of my car, and I'm wondering if anyone has had success with any "hideaway" type mounts that are still quickly accessible.  Something along the lines of this:

Are there any companies that make something like this, or is it something I would be better off making myself?  

I case it matters, I drive a 2014 Charger R/T.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You could put drugs in there too!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could put drugs in there too!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Check your local laws. Some states it's against the law to have hidden compartments in a vehicle.
View Quote

I was just going to type this.  Didn't Ohio pass something along those lines a year or two ago?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Check your local laws. Some states it's against the law to have hidden compartments in a vehicle.
View Quote

Well, the spare tire well in my BMW is clearly illegal then.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol, those Eotech batteries are dead anyways
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your BMW has a spare tire?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Some states its a crime to have hidden compartments in your vehicle.
I believe your state is one of them Op.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was just going to type this.  Didn't Ohio pass something along those lines a year or two ago?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a felony, law was passed in 2012.

ETA: SB 305

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they did.
The government has to "prove" that it was intended to be used for a controlled substance.
There are probably many localities that would simply arrest you for it right away and then let you fight it in court.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.241
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ohio does have a hidden compartment law, but it only pertains to compartments made "with the intent to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance".  Since that's not my intention, I think I'm okay.

ETA:

2923.241 Hidden compartments in vehicles.
(A) As used in this section:

(1) "Controlled substance" has the same meaning as in section 3719.01 of the Revised Code.

(2) "Hidden compartment" means a container, space, or enclosure that conceals, hides, or otherwise prevents the discovery of the contents of the container, space, or enclosure. "Hidden compartment" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(a) False, altered, or modified fuel tanks;

(b) Any original factory equipment on a vehicle that has been modified to conceal, hide, or prevent the discovery of the modified equipment's contents;

(c) Any compartment, space, box, or other closed container that is added or attached to existing compartments, spaces, boxes, or closed containers integrated or attached to a vehicle.

(3) "Vehicle" has the same meaning as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code and includes, but is not limited to, a motor vehicle, commercial tractor, trailer, noncommercial trailer, semitrailer, mobile home, recreational vehicle, or motor home.

(4) "Motor vehicle," "commercial trailer," "trailer," "noncommercial trailer," "semitrailer," "mobile home," "manufacturer," "recreational vehicle," and "motor home" have the same meanings as in section 4501.01 of the Revised Code.

(5) "Motor vehicle dealer" has the same meaning as in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code.

(B) No person shall knowingly design, build, construct, or fabricate a vehicle with a hidden compartment, or modify or alter any portion of a vehicle in order to create or add a hidden compartment, with the intent to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(C) No person shall knowingly operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment with knowledge that the hidden compartment is used or intended to be used to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(D) No person who has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of aggravated trafficking in drugs under section 2925.03 of the Revised Code that is a felony of the first or second degree shall operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment.

(E) Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance. Except as otherwise provided in this division, designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the fourth degree. If the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (B) of this section, designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the third degree.

(F) Whoever violates division (C) or (D) of this section is guilty of operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance. Except as otherwise provided in this division, operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the fourth degree. Except as otherwise provided in this division, if the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (C) or (D) of this section, operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the third degree. If the hidden compartment contains a controlled substance at the time of the offense, operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the second degree.

(G) This section does not apply to any law enforcement officer acting in the performance of the law enforcement officer's duties.

(H)

(1) This section does not apply to any licensed motor vehicle dealer or motor vehicle manufacturer that in the ordinary course of business repairs, purchases, receives in trade, leases, or sells a motor vehicle.

(2) This section does not impose a duty on a licensed motor vehicle dealer to know, discover, report, repair, or disclose the existence of a hidden compartment to any person.

(I) This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some states its a crime to have hidden compartments in your vehicle.
I believe your state is one of them Op.
View Quote

The War on Citizens Subjects wins again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Roush makes a really neat "tool kit" that attaches to the inside top of the trunk lid for Mustangs.  I wanted to get one, remove the foam inserts and put some in to hold my SBR AR.  Problem is, they are 500 freaking dollars!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they want it to be....

Why are you trying to hide that tire? If you weren't trying to something illegal, you wouldn't need to have it concealed like that! Do I smell weed??? You huffin' off that can of tire inflator, boy?

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I did this instead.

https://youtu.be/x8QpdU7SH1w
View Quote

Doesn't that basically put your rifle on display every time you open your trunk lid?  That's essentially what I'm trying to avoid.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]
In SD I use to have a kydex-0like  setup that went under the back bench of an f-150 it held 2 lon guns and about 4 boxes of shot gun ammo

here it is
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#18]
What ever you do, make sure it's a cheap trunk gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ohio does have a hidden compartment law, but it only pertains to compartments made "with the intent to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance".  Since that's not my intention, I think I'm okay.
Snip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip.

That my be the logical thing to think.

However you will get the privilege of arguing that in court after you have spent thousands of dollars in legal fees to prove your logic.

The government isn't interested in logic, it's interested in control and power.

Play your cards intelligently.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

2923.241 Hidden compartments in vehicles.
(A) As used in this section:

(1) "Controlled substance" has the same meaning as in section 3719.01 of the Revised Code.

(2) "Hidden compartment" means a container, space, or enclosure that conceals, hides, or otherwise prevents the discovery of the contents of the container, space, or enclosure. "Hidden compartment" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(a) False, altered, or modified fuel tanks;

(b) Any original factory equipment on a vehicle that has been modified to conceal, hide, or prevent the discovery of the modified equipment's contents;

(c) Any compartment, space, box, or other closed container that is added or attached to existing compartments, spaces, boxes, or closed containers integrated or attached to a vehicle.

(3) "Vehicle" has the same meaning as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code and includes, but is not limited to, a motor vehicle, commercial tractor, trailer, noncommercial trailer, semitrailer, mobile home, recreational vehicle, or motor home.

(4) "Motor vehicle," "commercial trailer," "trailer," "noncommercial trailer," "semitrailer," "mobile home," "manufacturer," "recreational vehicle," and "motor home" have the same meanings as in section 4501.01 of the Revised Code.

(5) "Motor vehicle dealer" has the same meaning as in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code.

(B) No person shall knowingly design, build, construct, or fabricate a vehicle with a hidden compartment, or modify or alter any portion of a vehicle in order to create or add a hidden compartment, with the intent to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(C) No person shall knowingly operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment with knowledge that the hidden compartment is used or intended to be used to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(D) No person who has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of aggravated trafficking in drugs under section 2925.03 of the Revised Code that is a felony of the first or second degree shall operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment.

(E) Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance. Except as otherwise provided in this division, designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the fourth degree. If the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (B) of this section, designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the third degree.

(F) Whoever violates division (C) or (D) of this section is guilty of operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance. Except as otherwise provided in this division, operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the fourth degree. Except as otherwise provided in this division, if the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (C) or (D) of this section, operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the third degree. If the hidden compartment contains a controlled substance at the time of the offense, operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the second degree.

(G) This section does not apply to any law enforcement officer acting in the performance of the law enforcement officer's duties.

(H)

(1) This section does not apply to any licensed motor vehicle dealer or motor vehicle manufacturer that in the ordinary course of business repairs, purchases, receives in trade, leases, or sells a motor vehicle.

(2) This section does not impose a duty on a licensed motor vehicle dealer to know, discover, report, repair, or disclose the existence of a hidden compartment to any person.

(I) This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.

What if a dog hits on your car?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Has it been two days already since this post was done?  Time really does fly by.

Quick and easy:

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What ever you do, make sure it's a cheap trunk gun.
View Quote

I have a $35 Anderson lower just waiting to be built, and Black Friday coming up.  Hoping to get some decent deals and build a cheap, simple rifle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sooo....half the cars out there are now going to cause their owners to become felons.  There are a lot of hidden storage compartments in old(er) cars.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only for drugs or illegal stuff

Shouldn't apply to a legally owned firearm

Damn everything is a felony these days, my car my rules, fuck BS laws
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What if a dog hits on your car?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sooo....half the cars out there are now going to cause their owners to become felons.  There are a lot of hidden storage compartments in old(er) cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. It was a law passed as part of the War On Drugs™, and everyone started panicking about the police abusing it.  It hasn't happened.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

One of our members here mounted his to the trunk body just below the trunk lock.

The Dodge Chargers I have seen this in it was mounted just under the trunk lip where the hinges are located. Blends well with the trunk color.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did this instead.

Doesn't that basically put your rifle on display every time you open your trunk lid?  That's essentially what I'm trying to avoid.

One of our members here mounted his to the trunk body just below the trunk lock.

The Dodge Chargers I have seen this in it was mounted just under the trunk lip where the hinges are located. Blends well with the trunk color.

Something like that could work.  Got a link or details?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Is that 10 gauge wire or 12 mil spec gauge wire.  Also is that a Ford or Chevy? If its a Chevy can I still mount it like you did on my Ford? Please we need more info!

Quoted:
Has it been two days already since this post was done?  Time really does fly by.

Quick and easy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/djbrow3/truckgun_zpsnkgbvebg.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks Highway Patrol, I am certain with this law there will be no blood in the streets.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#33]
California has a hidden compartment law and a second law prohibiting the transportation of firearms in "Glove or utility compartments".

Technically speaking the hidden compartment law thing is a stack on charge for narcotics cases and the firearms one pertains to considering the glove compartment as a locked container. But I wouldn't tempt fate with either of them.

Neat to know I would have been a felon between 18-21 for my stash of booze in the rear wheelhouse of my old Celica (accessed by removing the rear seat cupholder).

Considering I almost caught a felony at that age for having a basball bat in the back of my car, I guess luck was on my side.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#34]
You could just stash an AR in an old golf bag or piece of luggage.  No hidden compartment laws, out of sighte, and who would want to steal a ratty old set of golf clubs.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#35]
quick fist mounts is my plan.
maybe a kydex plate it will slide into so it will be harder to see and hold it in place so the optics don't bounce around.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

In SD I use to have a kydex-0like  setup that went under the back bench of an f-150 it held 2 lon guns and about 4 boxes of shot gun ammo

here it is
View Quote

I have one of those in my GMC 2500HD. I keep a bunch of crap in there. I'll post a pic in a few.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ohio is one of them.

Which has been covered to death now that I have read the rest of the thread.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quick and easy:

View Quote

Zip-tied to the muffler?

Good luck with that...
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Zip-tied to the muffler?

Good luck with that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quick and easy:

Zip-tied to the muffler?

Good luck with that...

Plastic zip tie.   Hot muffler.   What could possibly go wrong.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I did this instead.

View Quote

Bama, Can anybody buy these, or do you have to be post certified and where do you get them? thanks for the answers....
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#42]
I can't have a rifle concealed in my truck in NC, so it goes in my toolbox. Not the best but its better than nothing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#43]
This isn't a bad design if you want to be discrete.

It's not a hidden compartment so it should be legal in those circumstances.  I need to stick a KISS PSA rifle in the trunk.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I have one of those in my GMC 2500HD. I keep a bunch of crap in there. I'll post a pic in a few.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

here it is

Here you go. Just have Remington 11-87P in there right now. Putting an AR in there this weekend.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I came close to buying a Ridgeline, despite its numerous shortcomings.  Hard to beat its secret storage area:

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quick and easy:

Zip-tied to the muffler?

Good luck with that...

Nothing. You'll get that thrown down the driveway expressway look with no effort.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#47]

i have one from factory for my prius.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I simply shoved an AK into my Tundra.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#49]

That would be a lot more discreet without the mag sticking out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#50]
That's my trunk in the OP

Built it from MDF, speaker box carpet and telescoping cabinet hinges.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top