Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/8/2015 5:27:20 PM EDT
Somebody knocked down my mailbox along with 2 others last night. No tire tracks and no evidence. Any clever ways of finding out who did it? I'm pretty oissed because I just spent $125 on putting it in and it lasted 2 months. Thinking of posting a reward around the local high school. What else in a small town of 800 can I do to catch these turds? It happened to the other neighbor 3 weeks ago and now they got 2 more of us.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing that isn't going to get your mailbox knocked down again.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]

You can always go with the obvious, cameras.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Concrete filled well casing for the post and a piece of larger thick walled pipe to put the box in.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
OR PUT IT BACK UP

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]

then set up a stakeout with neighbors providing over watch.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Concrete filled well casing for the post and a piece of larger thick walled pipe to put the box in.

Do both and post the video on Youtube.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Put it back up?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck finding who did it.

However, you might be able to, mine gone destroyed years ago and I did eventually find the little punks. It was a lot of luck and calling around but I did get them.

I suggest asking your neighbors if they saw or heard anything that night and see what you can find out.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Put it back up and fill it with concrete.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

4ft deep by 1ft wide hole

4" thick wall(1/4") pipe or box steel.  Top that with a welded on heavy gauge mail box.

If it is a drive by batting, they will break their arms hitting your box.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
If yours were the only one that got knocked down, I could see wanting to get into it a little bit more, but since other people had theirs knocked down as well, I would probably just let it go and put up a new one. It was most likely and isolated occurrence of vandalism and not something targeted at you individually.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I got hired to re-install one that I placed once.

The guy said some drunk college kid was walking by and decided to knock it over, didn't go because it was built like a brick shit house.

He said that kid worked on it for 45 minutes out of principle before it tipped over.

I asked him why he didn't stop him, he said it was hilarious and wanted to see if the kid or the mailbox failed first.

Took me 12 minutes to prop it back up and re-pour the footing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Make it harder for them to do it again

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#14]
After nice quality mailbox number 3, I put up a $5 box on a wooden post. It has been there 10 years now.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Back when I was a dick teenager, my friend and I used to take a bat to this one specific mailbox.  It looked like a barn and was made of plastic.  My friend would walk up to it and tee off and shatter that thing into a million pieces.  Next week, the box was up and we'd do it again.  One night, we drive by and the box was back up.  My friend gets out of the car and takes a monster swing.  I hear a loud gong sound followed by my friend dropping the bat and grabbing his arms.  The people had a replica box made of 1/4" plate steel.  Never messed with them again.  

In your case, concrete base as others have already suggested.  Create a barrier so it's not easy to attack on the go (think mailbox baseball from a moving vehicle).  Also something locking so nobody can steal your mail from it too.  And definitely at least one camera.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#16]
fucking come at me bro

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Concrete mailbox enclosure
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Knocked down, how? Like it is just laying there no damage, or the side caved in from a baseball bat? I think they make bat proof ones. If a vehicle hit it, keep an eye out for a damaged truck. Maybe some strategically placed large boulders?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#19]
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/eyecon-quickshot-trail-camera?a=1868662

It took me longer to read about your issue than it did for me to come up with a solution.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#20]
If the mailbox was knocked down at night you may want to get a black mailbox (if you didn't already have one.)

My boxes used to get hammered regularly until I switched from silver/white to black.

I also had a situation where my dad's rental property was always getting backed over by the guy across the street slamming it hard with his truck.

I went over late at night and sank a piece of telephone pole four feet into the ground and mounted the mailbox on that.

Next day the neighbor had a %^&*#$ up bumper and some of the paint was knocked off the pole.

Just think about it and you'll find the proper solution.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's basically what my older brother did after losing a couple of mailboxes.  The one he made isn't very pretty, but it'll still be standing there when the world comes to an end.    

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's basically what my older brother did after losing a couple of mailboxes.  The one he made isn't very pretty, but it'll still be standing there when the world comes to an end.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHTF Mailbox

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1.  This. Back in the 70's, knocking over mailboxes, was the thing to do.

My Dad welded on with Steel Pipe, covered it with Cedar.

The baseball bat they hit it with was on the ground, next to the mailbox, the next morning. Never had a problem after that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Who pays 125 for a mailbox?   If you spent that on a security cam and a concrete filled buried piece of pipe we would not be having his conversation.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Who pays 125 for a mailbox?   If you spent that on a security cam and a concrete filled buried piece of pipe we would not be having his conversation.  
View Quote

Maybe people who want their shit to look nice ?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Your mailbox needs a roll cage

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#27]
The trick I was told about was to get a large rural box and a regular sized one. Remove the door from the regular one. Stand the big one on end, place the regular one onside the big one, and fill the interstitial space with concrete.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Put it back up.  Quit your job and wait in ambush.  Mag dump on the offenders.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Most mailbox bashing is actually a felony in many places, since it generally takes a driver and a passenger.  This makes it a conspiracy to commit a crime (vandalism).  

However, most jurisdictions would not prosecute it that way, or even investigate it as a felony.  

However, a $5,000 reward for information leading to the successful litigation against the perpetrator may get you some info.  (Part of the successful litigation is that the reward money is paid by the perpetrators along with other legal fees.)

I've never seen that tactic taken before and I don't know how well it would actually work in court.  Maybe a lawyer or two will chime in on whether that is a go or not in civil court.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, then dress it up with some woodwork to tempt them to try again.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

nice mail box

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Ft Knox Mailbox
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#33]
fill it with cement and stand it back up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

What this guy did.....
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#35]
In my state the post has to be breakable.

The shitty, micromanaging busybody mailman will stop delivering mail to a properly anchored mailbox.

Anything that could stop a car is a no-go here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

I like it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Add road base by the asphalt to keep it from crumbling.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The shitty, micromanaging busybody mailman will stop delivering mail to a properly anchored mailbox.

View Quote

Get a Ft Knox Mailbox with a breakaway bolt base pole.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

4" thick wall(1/4") pipe or box steel.  Top that with a welded on heavy gauge mail box.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn Op. I feel ya. My box and next door neighbors got pushed over a couple nights ago. Hit a couple more on my street too but I think only two more were fully pushed over like my neighbors and I.
Wood was apparently rotted at the ground so they snapped pretty easy Im guessing. Dug a couple holes,mounted the boxes on top of new 4x4x6' posts and called it a day under two hours.
Need to put some cameras up myself but havent gotten around to it yet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I read a funny article about this one time.  The guy was an engineer and set out to build an indestructible mailbox.  Long story short, they kept getting knocked over.  His final design was a breakaway with a box made from a rubber material.  It would fly off the post and he would snap it back on the next day.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with the Arfcom sentiment that a properly constructed mailbox and post should be able to withstand virtually any attack. Breakaway designs are as useless as a football bat. Unfortunately the USPS doesn't share our thinking.
https://www.usps.com/manage/mailboxes.htm
The best mailbox supports are stable but bend or fall away if a car hits them. The Federal Highway Administration recommends:

A 4" x 4" wooden support or a 2"-diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe.

Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).

Bury your post no more than 24" deep.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Somebody knocked down my mailbox along with 2 others last night. No tire tracks and no evidence. Any clever ways of finding out who did it? I'm pretty oissed because I just spent $125 on putting it in and it lasted 2 months. Thinking of posting a reward around the local high school. What else in a small town of 800 can I do to catch these turds? It happened to the other neighbor 3 weeks ago and now they got 2 more of us.
View Quote

Pretty expensive mail box. Mine and (2) other neighbors got knocked down 2 months ago and it cost me 34.00 american dollars to replace.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Make one out of 1/2" steel so it looks like a sheet metal one. Torch cut heavy pipe for the semi cylinder top and weld it to plate sides and back. Concrete filled post. Use a normal USPS approved door. Imagine hitting that with a baseball bat from a moving car.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I was joking before, but now I'm going with it was a 25 dollar mailbox that you paid 125 for so it looks nice.  Lovely mailbox you had and now have to replace.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong.  That will get you sued when some dumbass hits it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Put it back up and fill it with concrete.
View Quote

This. Hurts like hell if you nail a mailbox that is full of sac-crete.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

I've seen those get plowed down by a truck before like it was nothing. Best to install a 6" pipe full of concrete as an anchor.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top