Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/12/2015 12:46:50 PM EDT
Female cat who's had a UTI before this past January. I took her to the vet two weeks ago where they have her a shot for the pain and have some antibiotics which just ran out yesterday. Last night she goes on a rampage and pees in the kitchen leaving a long trail. Peed on some Christmas ornament paper. Peed on a foam chair used by our boy. Led on my side of the bed and my pillow. At the vet now where she peed blood right on the examination table.

Do I have any realistic options here? What would the hive do? She's been a good cat up to this point.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Why'd the vet give pain meds? Does the cat currently have a uti or is something else wrong with it?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Vet. How old is the cat?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
litter box clean?

Cats will abandon the box if not clean enough to their liking.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
We went through the same thing recently and ended up putting her down.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Make tacos.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
If a cat isn't using its litter box, it's probably sick.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Back to the Vet. Is that too obvious?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Shoot it!!!!  They make great shooting targets!!!

Serious note:  Sorry to heat about it OP.  Just had a friend go through the same situation and he had to put the cat down.

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

At the vet now where she peed blood right on the examination table.

murica!
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Leaving the vet right now. They didn't see any bacteria in the pee sample, but they want another on Monday. Ugh. In the meantime they gave her an injection for the pain and some pills to get her through the weekend.  

The cat is only 5 years old and has been very healthy before this and earlier this year.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I like .22 CB caps, nice and quiet, don't annoy or alert the neighbors, still effective when properly placed.

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Make sure kitty has plenty of water available so she doesn't dehydrate.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Back to the vet. In the mean time, lay a towel you don't give a shit about in a flat tray by the litter box. The cat WILL start to pee on that towel. You can wash the towel or throw it away. Been there before. This works very well!  But get your cat to a vet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Get a dog.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Prednisone makes my dog pee a lot more than usual. This year he started coming back inside still unrinating like he didnt even realize he was still going.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#19]
It has begun.  No stopping it now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like .22 CB caps, nice and quiet, don't annoy or alert the neighbors, still effective when properly placed.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep, kitteh needs more veterinary attention.

Cats can develop crystals and UTIs by not drinking enough water, maybe you should get a fountain for him/her?

We got one of these (below) and it pretty much fixed our one cat's reluctance to drink water:

PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain

Ours was <$50 and well worth it!
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]
UTI aint done, or the bladder/kidney issue isn't a UTI.

Cats piss outside the box because they're simpleminded and it hurts to pee, and they usually pee in the box, so they figure it might not hurt if they pee somewhere else.

Get thee to the vet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Apparently reading is for faggots.

Half the posters in this thread are telling the guy to go to the vet.

He states quite clearly in his OP that he is currently at the vet.

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, eject cat.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Hope it's fixable.  Maybe some antibiotics.  Good luck!

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been going through this myself and luckily our cat has a spot in our laundry room that she likes to pee and I put a pee pad down.  She now uses the pee pad when she decides not to use the littlebox.  They are strange animals that will ruin a home quickly.  Try that or else it is outdoors or have it put down.  Cat urine is almost impossible to get out of carpets etc.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Cats can't be trusted. They do what's natural, piss all over anything and everything. Sooner or later they all do it, because cats are assholes.

I have an indoor outdoor cat. He does his dirty work outside. I still don't trust him. I sniff my shoes every morning, because it's only a matter of  time before he pisses on them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#29]
We had one male cat that was spraying and my Mom would give him IV fluids and he was fine for a few years until he died of other problems.

The cat might have a kidney issue on top of a continuing UTI issues; but they probably already tested for that.

Unfortunately pets won't get in the litter box if it hurts and you can't train them to not pee in certain places; unless you put some of the shock pads on furniture or carpeted areas. Not sure how well those work?

If you can't get it remedied with everything you have tried I think the only other options are to give the cat away to someone where the cat can live outside (which is doubtful with a trained indoor cat) or putting the cat to sleep.

If you decide to put the cat down just have the vet put it to sleep which is painless; no need to listen to the cat haters suggesting to shoot it. Good luck with a tough decision.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

But seriously, I don't know why he's busy on Arfcom instead of taking his cat to the vet. Its obviously sick

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Shoot it!!!!  They make great shooting targets!!!

Serious note:  Sorry to heat about it OP.  Just had a friend go through the same situation and he had to put the cat down.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#32]
May not be a uti. Kidney stones?

Either way, kitteh needs more fresh water. I wash the water dish and change the water daily. If you don't like the taste of your tap water, they might not like it either.

That being said, my orange retard still looks for any chance to drink from the sink or toilet. He's also licked himself bald.

My other cat drinks from the dish just fine.

ETA: I've tried the recycling/aerating fountains, but my cats always manage to get bits of food in there, and it just turns into a scummy pond.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This,  it's going to keep doing it until the end.

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Adults are talikng here, Junior...

Why don't you go play in traffic for awhile?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
May not be a uti. Kidney stones?

Either way, kitteh needs more fresh water. I wash the water dish and change the water daily. If you don't like the taste of your tap water, they might not like it either.

That being said, my orange retard still looks for any chance to drink from the sink or toilet. He's also licked himself bald.

My other cat drinks from the dish just fine.

ETA: I've tried the recycling/aerating fountains, but my cats always manage to get bits of food in there, and it just turns into a scummy pond.

View Quote

Our fountain (above, somewhere here on page 1) hasn't gotten scummy or weird.  It has a washable filter and it's really easy to maintain.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We went through the same thing recently and ended up putting her down.  
View Quote

Daughter had a cat, that went where ever it darned well wanted... We tried everything to cure it. Go joy.

"It died in its sleep". We had a tearful burial and pressed on.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like they didn't cure the UTI.  I've been dealing with a difficult one with my cat and it had survived two normal rounds of antibiotics, kept coming back a month or two later.  It took a 21 day dose to finally get rid of it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I refuse to have an indoor cat.  I let dogs indoors as long as they behave and act civilized/very very well trained.

Vet should have an idea of what's going on, but you'll have a choice to make depending on what he/she says.

Otherwise, if the cat has to stay inside, relegate it to one room where you aren't concerned about it peeing everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#39]
my cat started that over the summer, took her to the vet and she had bladder crystals or some shit, got them removed and shes good as new.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#40]
If you know a great sand guy you can go sand wall to wall.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yep, kitteh needs more veterinary attention.

Cats can develop crystals and UTIs by not drinking enough water, maybe you should get a fountain for him/her?

We got one of these (below) and it pretty much fixed our one cat's reluctance to drink water:

PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain
http://store.petsafe.net/media/catalog/product/P/W/PWW00-13703_D2VVI-RE_a.jpg

Ours was <$50 and well worth it!
View Quote

They're a bitch and require a lot of cleaning.  I just ten the sink on really low everytime the cat drags me over to her food/water bowls which are on the bar nexto sai sink.  They do love flowing water and she drinks quite a bit now
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#42]
How many cat owners here understands when you get a new cat you lock it in the room with a litter box for a few days?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Get a dog.  Or if it's your spouse's cat, get a new husband.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Guilty.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#45]
If the vet can't figure out what is wrong and get it fixed for a reasonable price it is time for a different cat.

We have two cats, one had UTI problems and would occasionally piss on something, switching both to a specific UTI dry food worked well.  That was several years ago.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
Click

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If the vet can't figure out what is wrong and get it fixed for a reasonable price it is time for a different cat.

We have two cats, one had UTI problems and would occasionally piss on something, switching both to a specific UTI dry food worked well.  That was several years ago.
View Quote

This! Switch to the UTI food and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#48]
It has stones in its urinary tract. It is referred to as a "blockage" if you vet doesn't know this get a new vet. You cat needs medical attention then a diet of Urinary SO dry and wet food to help prevent future occurances.

This is quiet common.

Also as other posters said. Cats usually love flowing water. Drinking more helps keep them flushed out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Female cat who's had a UTI before this past January. I took her to the vet two weeks ago where they have her a shot for the pain and have some antibiotics which just ran out yesterday. Last night she goes on a rampage and pees in the kitchen leaving a long trail. Peed on some Christmas ornament paper. Peed on a foam chair used by our boy. Led on my side of the bed and my pillow. At the vet now where she peed blood right on the examination table.

Do I have any realistic options here? What would the hive do? She's been a good cat up to this point.
View Quote

Looks like you are gonna have to spend some $$ to solve that problem.

or for urban solutions

Jus' Sayin'

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Click  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click  

Yes?

That sucks OP. Can't really give you advice. We are dog people here. I do hope this doesn't cost you too much. Vet bills suck.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top