Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:08:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 says Mac
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome to Windows 10.

It's safer and faster and really like Windows 7.

View Quote

Except where the software I need to do half the things I need a PC for - either work or play - don't run on it, or run poorly.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#3]
lol @ OP thinking freedom of choice has any application outside of a societal philosophy for government.  

The rest of the factors of society are a dictatorship, you want Windows 7? Welcome to Windows 10!  

Hopefully you're not just now realizing the world worked that way.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:16:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one computer running Windows 10.

If the fucker had a setting for "Make it look and act just like Windows 7" I would be happy.

Fuck the flashy graphics shit and Cortina and and everything else about Windows 10.

My other 2 computers are quite happy being Windows 7 computers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:26:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fuck Windows 10, fuck Bill Gates and fuck Microsoft for basically hijacking peoples computers and forcing their OS on the public / private sector.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do not want Windows 10. Not too cryptic.

Doesn't matter what you want if you can't log in to your computer.

ANY steps you might take to downgrade or whatever all start with logging in.  Short of formatting and reinstalling from media.

For what it's worth if you "haven't heard anything good about it" you haven't been paying attention.  It is a fine OS.

This. Seriously.

Fuck Windows 10, fuck Bill Gates and fuck Microsoft for basically hijacking peoples computers and forcing their OS on the public / private sector.

Fucking THIS.

When the hell did people get all cozy with the idea of Microsoft "upgrading" your OS because they think it's what's best for you?

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I'm not going to upgrade my Win8 desktop if I can help it.

In the future if I were to pick up a Surface Pro or a Surface Book, I wouldn't care too much about having 10 on it. My portable device is a relatively light use device, and I don't do anything on it that I don't want M$ to know about. Not that I really do anything on my Win 8 desktop that they'd care about. My software is fully licensed and paid for.

Meh.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Easy.

Install your flavor of Linux.

Install Oracle VirtualBox.  Load up free Windows XP Virtual Machine , hook up your old hard drive as a USB disk(get a HD-usb adapter), play old windows games on windows.

Virtual Machines Rock.

Honestly I hate Unity and all the crappy 'tablet';'touchscreen' guis the modern linuxes use, first thing I do is downgrade to something more sane like ICEwm or something.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I uninstalled KB3035583 because I was sick of Microsoft trying to molest my computer with unwanted aids.

Once windows 7 becomes obsolete I guess I'll have to put more effort into figuring out how to get linux and wine to play nice with all of my windows based games.

Easy.

Install Oracle VirtualBox.  Load up free Windows XP Virtual Machine , hook up your old hard drive as a USB disk(get a HD-usb adapter), play old windows games on windows.

Virtual Machines Rock.

Honestly I hate Unity and all the crappy 'tablet';'touchscreen' guis the modern linuxes use, first thing I do is downgrade to something more sane like ICEwm or something.

Does the Virtual Box give you decent performance?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You will  like windows 10, and you will continue liking it until you like it.

When you finally like windows 10, windows 11 will be  out..
View Quote

Perfect summary.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I got tired of not being able to download updates with getting 10.  DLed a program to cancel that out.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know what one or two guys you've been talking to that have had nothing good to say about windows 10, but they aren't telling the truth. You are going to end up having to buy it in the long run and there is nothing wrong with it. In fact, its faster and all around better.
View Quote

lol. Millions of people live quite happily without Microsoft products.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I like it.  It is the best version Micro$oft has put out since XP.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why don't you want to upgrade to 10? I've had nothing but a positive experience using it on my gaming rig.
View Quote

Because it sucks, just like 8?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#13]
We are Windows 10. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can get rid of the prompt if you want to do a little research.

But Windows 10 is the best Windows OS ever (in my opinion).
View Quote

Which means?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Some will like Windows 10 others will hate it. The major issue I have with it is the data/usage collection. While most OS's do some sort of data/usage collection Microsoft seems to have gone to the next level.

That said, there are various ways, detailed in NUMEROUS threads here in GD, on how to limit and reduce the amount of data and usage collection Windows 10 will do in the user. Currently using O&O ShutUp10 to turn off much of Windows 10 tracking. There are other similar tools to perform the same task. Like has been posted previously the GWX Control Panel is great at disabling/removing the KB update that notifies one of the Windows 10 Upgrade and for removing the downloaded Windows 10 Upgrade files if one doesn't want to upgrade. Just keep in mind that one may end up having the Windows 10 Upgrade checked in their Windows Update control panel and it could get installed automatically if one isn't careful or paying attention when installing Windows Updates..

The other factor is Windows 10 just doesn't upgrade well on certain computers. It upgraded fine on a 9 year old home built desktop running Core 2 Quad processor with 4GB of RAM. Works better/faster than Windows 7 did on that PC. However, on a three year old i7 8GB RAM Toshiba laptop the upgrade got borked every time I tried to upgrade to Windows 10. Had nothing but problems with the upgrade and ended up rolling back to Windows 7 each time. That particular Toshiba laptop is not on Toshiba's Windows 10 supported list. However if I install Windows 10 to a clean hard drive in that particular laptop Windows 10 works fine although some of the laptop features (like specific feature buttons) don't work properly.

Even upgraded an old Asus Netbook Eee PC running Windows 7 Starter to Windows 10 and its running relatively fine considering it has 1GB RAM and an Intel Atom processor. Runs a bit better under Windows 10 than Windows 7 starter, could improve it a bit by maxing the memory to 2GB and using an SSD drive but it isn't worth the money investment in that old netbook pc.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#16]
It's Win8 with a GUI update.

Win8 is faster and better "under the hood" than Win7, the UI just sucks unless you install an aftermarket app like Classicshell.

Therefore, Win10 is better than Win7.

Don't listen to all the haters.

/edit to the people saying that their software/apps work like shit or don't work on 10 when they did on 7,

ok, sure.gif
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm just here because I love it when computer systems do whatever they want to do independent of operator input.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Three words regarding Windows 10 from the guy who builds my computers:

DON'T DO IT!

FWIW, I always disconnect the power to my computer whenever I'm not using it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Three words regarding Windows 10 from the guy who builds my computers:

DON'T DO IT!

FWIW, I always disconnect the power to my computer whenever I'm not using it.
View Quote

Sounds like a smart guy.

FWIW, I know a guy whose friends cousin says he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I like Windows 10.

You can download the ISO directly from Microsoft and install without a CD key.  This is really great for things like setting up extra virtual machines an not having to worry about activating windows.

You can disable startup programs through the task manager(ctrl+alt+del).  (Win8 may have been this way too.  Not sure.)  It's so easy to check and see what starts up with your computer.

Anything you want, hit the windows button and start to type it.  If it's on the computer, it will pull up in search results, hit enter.  So if I want to change the color calibration of my monitor, I type in: cal and it comes right up, hit enter and it's running.  It's so much faster than older versions of windows having to dig around in the menus to find all these various things.

I love the ability to pin folders to the quick access panel in the file explorer.  I like the tiles in the start menu, and I like that you can launch things from the taskbar or the start menu.  The live tiles are pretty cool for news and weather, IMO.

I also like the built in mail/calendar app.  I have my work email plugged in and it shows my outlook calender with all of my work appointments, I just really like everything about WIndows 10.

I like the notification/action center.  I just really started using that part of windows.  It shows all of my incoming emails, can swap to tablet mode, and access the quick settings.

Tablet mode is really nice feature to throw in.  Let me explain before you kill me.  When I move the computer to the TV to use for Netflix, YouTube, etc., it's nice to be able to put it in tablet mode.  It makes it easier to navigate using an Xbox controller from the couch.

All in all, I love windows 10.

ETA: A lot of people don't know (I assume) that you can right click the start button to get direct access to control panel, task manager, command prompt, etc

ETA again: You can get windows virtual machines from Microsoft.  XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10, to test out.  from here: https://dev.windows.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/windows/
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Problem solved.  Problem staying solved.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I uninstalled KB3035583 because I was sick of Microsoft trying to molest my computer with unwanted aids.

Once windows 7 becomes obsolete I guess I'll have to put more effort into figuring out how to get linux and wine to play nice with all of my windows based games.

Easy.

Virtual Machines Rock.

Yes on i5 and better with 4gb ram.  More ram is obviously better.  Then again I am not running 3d cad or halo type games either.  Old games like DukeNukem, Descent2 and the like play fine.(those you can play in dosbox too if you dont like VMs)

At work I do the opposite, we run windows7pro and several linuxes in VMs.  I have one that does 24/7 daily compiles and builds.  It runs fine but can be a bit laggy when compiles are running.
A coworker says throwing >2 processors at a VM does not speed it up any, so I just stay at 1 processor allocated to each VM.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Having to use Linux for our HBSS, I disagree.

Linux is neat-o keen for folks who like to tinker.

For the majority of folks?   No.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I agree.  Having to spend an hour researching and typing random lines of code in the terminal just to watch Netflix on Linux left a bad taste in my mouth.  That and trying to set up Linux Mint to work kind of like windows with the fixed dock at the bottom and everything wasn't too hard.  But sometimes the buttons wouldn't work, and always seemed finicky, I gave up on it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why don't you want to upgrade to 10? I've had nothing but a positive experience using it on my gaming rig.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I finally upgraded from 8.1.  Should have done it immediately.   Been a couple months now and I've had zero issues with it.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#27]
linux
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Between gamers, old systems, people who don't want to change. Microsoft would sell the shit out of a seriously stripped down version of Ten.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I just bought a new Toshiba laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled. I intend to wipe the hard drive and install Windows 8.1 from scratch. My only worry is that I may need some of the preinstalled drivers. So I will copy everything to another computer before doing the partition / reformat. We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just bought a new Toshiba laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled. I intend to wipe the hard drive and install Windows 8.1 from scratch. My only worry is that I may need some of the preinstalled drivers. So I will copy everything to another computer before doing the partition / reformat. We'll see how it goes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's Win8 with a GUI update.

Win8 is faster and better "under the hood" than Win7, the UI just sucks unless you install an aftermarket app like Classicshell.

Therefore, Win10 is better than Win7.

Don't listen to all the haters.

/edit to the people saying that their software/apps work like shit or don't work on 10 when they did on 7,

ok, sure.gif
View Quote

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Welcome to another piece of GARBAGE they are trying to force you to accept for free, which means YOUR DATA is the product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to Windows 10.

It's safer and faster and really like Windows 7.

You have been assimilated.

Welcome to another piece of GARBAGE they are trying to force you to accept for free, which means YOUR DATA is the product.

I refuse to upgrade primarily for this reason.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Windows 10 is the best Windows OS ever released.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
people's been bitching about Windows since Windows 1.0
View Quote

That filthy POS. My mouse would only work for about 10 minutes before it locked up, shortly followed by the computer. I uninstalled it and went back to DOS until Win95.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Page 2 says Mac
View Quote

I clicked on this thread specifically to read mac posts, I am disappoint
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

DOS 6.1 was so much better than Windows.

When I typed out my DOS commands I could tell my machine when to load extra memory.  Stupid Windows just assumes it knows how I want my memory loaded.

Thanks a lot Bill Gates!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That filthy POS. My mouse would only work for about 10 minutes before it locked up, shortly followed by the computer. I uninstalled it and went back to DOS until Win95.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you updated to windows '98 yet?  Its the bomb!
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Windows 10?  You mean NSA 1.0?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This... Plug and Play actually works (as long as you find the SE version)!
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Windows 10?  You mean NSA 1.0?
View Quote

Bit late to the game for that.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I let my son talk me into downloading it

I am about to put this computer back to the factory settings (Windows eight, which is not that great)
View Quote

Damn...you must be old
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

There's a program called GWX Control Panel that'll remove the upgrade download and all prompts for you to upgrade.
View Quote
This, I have run this on all of our computers at work. Just about all of our computers had already downloaded the 6GB Windows 10 update files and were just waiting on someone to click OK.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I love windows 10

this script will help you remove pretty much all the surveillance bullshit
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Win 10 is great
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't play video games.

When windows 7 becomes obsolete for me, I will start using Linux again.

I will not submit to forced updates and involuntary inspection of my computer's contents for an OS that's "really quite good".

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don't play video games.

When windows 7 becomes obsolete for me, I will start using Linux again.

I will not submit to forced updates and involuntary inspection of my computer's contents for an OS that's "really quite good".

But that's just me.
View Quote

then don't
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
10 is a vast improvement over 8.  My only problem with it is some software, like our CAD/CAM software at work, doesn't play nice with it yet.
View Quote

What software is that? My work computer hasn't upgraded yet but we're already onto PartMaker 2016. Hopefully Delcam foresaw this and it integrates nicely.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I reformatted with a Windows 10 disk last night.  I like it so far.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I will be royally pissed if my system upgraded to 10 without my acknowledgement.  I have quite a few software suites which do not work on 10.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I HATE IT.
View Quote
As do I.

A ton of shit I don't want; otherwise just like Windows 7, except we have hidden everything so it takes 8 levels of menus for what was once one click.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top