User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ummm yeah...

I  bolted down safes when I rented.

First I was never foolish enough to ask for permission.

Second I spent a lot of time and some money patching up the holes.

Always got my security deposit back in full minus any of the places that charged for carpet cleaning despite it being spotless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would run it by your landlord, tell her you will patch the holes when you leave.

Tried it. She said it was a no go. Im kind screwed when it comes to bolting it down.

Ummm yeah...

I  bolted down safes when I rented.

First I was never foolish enough to ask for permission.

Second I spent a lot of time and some money patching up the holes.

Always got my security deposit back in full minus any of the places that charged for carpet cleaning despite it being spotless.

This.  When my wife went to grad school and I followed her around the country, I brought at least a number of my guns with me and always had a safe.  I never talked to a landlord/property manager about it and always bolted it down.  Never had any issues with security deposits.  Fuck em.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
steel locking cabinet in closet, bolt it to a piece of plywood that covers the entire floor of the closet, then stack other stuff on the board.
View Quote

That's a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:22:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
buy a jobox and fill the bottom with ammo, top it off with rifles. throw an old blanket over it and set a lava lamp on top.
View Quote

I think this is what ill do. Ill try to make it look more like a piece of furniture.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Im going to go with half of this. OP is in college and this is a fishing expedition for a research paper or other such faggotry about the topic du jour.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP isn't in college or own a single firearm.

Im going to go with half of this. OP is in college and this is a fishing expedition for a research paper or other such faggotry about the topic du jour.

Why waste your time trolling? This is a legit question. Fucktard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#6]
So now what do yall think would be better?  Job box disguised as trunk or a light safe bolted to wall?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Safe in the wall in a closet.

Bolt holes are easy to patch up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So now what do yall think would be better?  Job box disguised as trunk or a light safe bolted to wall?
View Quote

OP, can you put a locking box under the back seat of your truck and be legal on school grounds? they make some pretty nice gun safes for under seat...........as for the jobber box..I would go hunt around for one of the old broke junk ass console tv's and gut it to make room for my guns in it..no one is going to steal a worthless console tv.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

OP, can you put a locking box under the back seat of your truck and be legal on school grounds? they make some pretty nice gun safes for under seat...........as for the jobber box..I would go hunt around for one of the old broke junk ass console tv's and gut it to make room for my guns in it..no one is going to steal a worthless console tv.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually can as long as they stay in the truck but i would prefer not ot drive around town with my guns in mt vehicle at all times. Plus transporting an AR back and forth from the house to the truck seems like a hassle. TV idea is good though. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Sell your long guns. Get a safety deposit box and don't tell the bank what's in it. They don't want to know anyway. Put one gun in some hidden spot near your bed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I actually can as long as they stay in the truck but i would prefer not ot drive around town with my guns in mt vehicle at all times. Plus transporting an AR back and forth from the house to the truck seems like a hassle. TV idea is good though. Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well if you feel like taking a little drive.. I would give you this one, it would be perfect for it......

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well if you feel like taking a little drive.. I would give you this one, it would be perfect for it......

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/IMG_0631_zpstzeoydyc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/IMG_0631_zpstzeoydyc.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/IMG_0631_zpstzeoydyc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/IMG_0631_zpstzeoydyc.jpg</a>

Haha....thanks brother but you're a little bit further than id like to drive
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Haha....thanks brother but you're a little bit further than id like to drive
View Quote

Yeah, it would be a drive, course you might like it, its some of the most beautiful country we have...the jobber is a decent idea but it is even easier to pack off then a safe, so you are back to bolting it down...if you have forced air, can you pull the bedroom vent, break the AR down and bag it in one of the cheese cloth bags and slip it in the vent? Be much slower to use, but be tougher to find as well.......
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think the bigger issue is with a large safe not being bolted down isn't so much it being carried out as is the possibility of it getting pushed onto its back side which make prying at it much easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would rather have a safe that's not bolted down than nothing. Mine is not bolted down, empty it weighs 400 lbs or so, yeah it could be taken out with a dolly but it's better than keeping them under the bed or stashed in a closet. Get a safe.

I think the bigger issue is with a large safe not being bolted down isn't so much it being carried out as is the possibility of it getting pushed onto its back side which make prying at it much easier.

But still better than no safe at all.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What about this?? Spread them out in the house.Hidden in plain sight shelves
http://www.coolthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/tactical-wall-shelves-3.jpg
View Quote

Nope. OP isn't allowed to make holes in the wall to hang that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.coolthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/tactical-wall-shelves-3.jpg

I sense sarcasm.....but yes...you're on point. Renting in a college town, more specifically, by campus makes leases very specific and strict.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Stop growing your gun collection until you can properly house it.

If you must, bolt it to the wall...then go to YouTube to learn how to patch a wall.
View Quote

this.. Bolt it to the wall and patch the wall. or stop growing the collection. Sucks but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Need to get renters insurance also and make sure that it covers the cost of your guns and ammo.
Renter insurance is cheap.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Why exactly can you not bolt a safe to the floor or wall of your apartment? I rent my house and I've bolted my safe to the floor.

New question since you asked your landlord and were told no.

Why the fuck did you even ask? Seriously, just bolt the figgin' thing to the wall then fill the holes when you move.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I've only lived in one apartment where I didn't blot the safe down in the closet (and no, none of the landlords ever noticed the holes).  Here is what I did in that situation:

I bolted the gun safe to a metal filing cabinet which I put some weights in the bottom (below the bottom drawer) along with all the other contents of the cabinet, I then bolted the metal filing cabinet to my metal bed.

It would have been possible to tip it all over I guess, or break it free with a breaker bar, but it would have been a royal PITA.  Good to protect against smash and grab robberies.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I mean I cant take my guns everywhere. Especially on campus.

Renting a nicer place is out of the question at the moment.
View Quote
Gonna give you a little bit of old-timer advice.

Your money is better spent on staying the fuck out of debt.  Loans, credit cards, car loan.

Get a couple basic guns to use and hedge against bans.... and then STOP.  EDIT: nevermind, you need to sell a few guns.. 12 is a big investment. Trade a couple for a cabinet that will fit the remaining.

Being debt free has given me more opportunities during my lifetime than any other single thing I have done. I started in college and walked away with a degree and no loan.

That said, get a Stack On metal "gun cabinet" and wrap some bricks in some towels to place at the bottom to make it a lot heavier.  You can move one of those cabinets yourself if you have to, and it'll keep drunks and snoops out of your shit effectively enough.

Then hide it so it's not seen by people visiting (and realistically, don't let visitors in much if you can help it loose lips sink ships), remove or don't use any of the "gun guy" paraphernalia like stickers, camo clothing, etc. so the local affirmative action diversity doesn't think you might have guns.  You can keep other stuff in it too, laptops, personal records, etc. All the other stuff some asshole might swoop in and take while waiting for your roommate to take a dump.

You are not going to stop a determined thief.  The good news is, those aren't going to be around stealing stuff from poor college students. YOU need to worry about the hoodlum that got a scholarship or his homies from back home visiting, students that get drunk and steal for fun and the occasional homeless druggie.  Those guys aren't going to carry off a safe.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

steel locking cabinet in closet, bolt it to a piece of plywood that covers the entire floor of the closet, then stack other stuff on the board.
View Quote
That's a good idea.  Makes it take longer to get the safe mobile and won't hurt the closet any.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Someone with a little bit of time and not much fear of sound would knock that thing off the wall in the first second of being in the room.  That only hides from wanted, attended guests... won't do shit against burglars.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why exactly can you not bolt a safe to the floor or wall of your apartment? I rent my house and I've bolted my safe to the floor.

New question since you asked your landlord and were told no.

Why the fuck did you even ask? Seriously, just bolt the figgin' thing to the wall then fill the holes when you move.
View Quote

Seriously man, I dont fucking know. At this point I feel like a dumbass for bringing it up. Im just gonna drill the hole and worry about it when it comes. Sometimes you just need people to lay it out like you did for it to click.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#26]
To RR_Broccoli

Good advice. My work pays for my school and I work hard for my school and money so hopefully I will stay mostly debt free throughout school. I dont intend on my collection to grow much more until I graduate. Its kinda hard to lose the gun guy stigma. Its my obsession. Thank you sir for your advice
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Fill it with lead ingots.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Do you have a favorite local gun shop? If you have a good relationship with the people there, you can try explaining your situation and seeing if you can rent space in their safe for a couple dollars per month. What about a climate controlled self storage? Most of those place have alarms and cameras. Some have alarms on the units themselves.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#29]
http://bedgunsafe.com/bedbunkers/queen-bedbunker/

Here's my contribution.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Get whichever safe you can afford and get insurance.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would rather have a safe that's not bolted down than nothing. Mine is not bolted down, empty it weighs 400 lbs or so, yeah it could be taken out with a dolly but it's better than keeping them under the bed or stashed in a closet. Get a safe.

Of course

I was just pointing out the purpose of bolting them down isn't necessarily to prevent someone from walking out with several hundred or thousands of pounds. And like mentioned it keeps it secure for a heavy door as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Your landlord "frequently checks the apartment"???

What the fuck dude. GTFO of there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah I was going to mention unless she's giving you notice that's illegal as fuck. My landlord happens to be a practicing lawyer and always give extensive and repeated notice to cover his ass. I'd go as far as changing the locks if giving notice isn't something they do or adhere to. Its for your safety and theirs. You aren't running a grow operation and they can see that. Some privacy and respect of law is standard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yeah I was going to mention unless she's giving you notice that's illegal as fuck. My landlord happens to be a practicing lawyer and always give extensive and repeated notice to cover his ass. I'd go as far as changing the locks if giving notice isn't something they do or adhere to. Its for your safety and theirs. You aren't running a grow operation and they can see that. Some privacy and respect of law is standard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

24 hour notice is all you need. At least here. They can freely roam your house after that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#38]
If you have'nt already, make sure you check into renter insurance. Get pics of your guns with serial numbers
and keep the pics at parents house or other location.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
keep them all but your carry gun at your parents
View Quote

I agree with you......
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe a wall safe if you are just going to hold onto two guns.
Yeah, you will be "modifying" the walls of the old house.
To me, you are probably adding value for the next schlub that rents the place.

I would probably run it by your landlord.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#41]
There was a picture here of a wall safe attached to wall studs. The thief just cut the studs...
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Buy a good, smaller safe and make it as heavy as you can. Bags of lead shot, sand, ammo cans (full of course) etc and make that sucker weigh in at 5 or 600 pounds when loaded.
Need to move it? No problem. Unload "ballast" and carry on.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#43]
so, what is a density material that he could use?

$I looked up pennies, 100 weighs less than 50 lbs, so not a great option.

maybe he can get ahold of old computer UPS batteries?  Water jugs?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am in college and I live in a old house, first floor, by campus. Lets just say that crime isn't awful but isn't great either in the area. A lot of college kids live by me and as my firearms collection grows, I'm scared of a break in as I work nights. I do not have a closet and I can not bolt down a safe to the wall or floor. What is my best course of action? I have a budget for a decent safe but I could be moving around a bit. I would prefer not to move a heavy safe alot and if I don't bolt it down, it could be stolen anyway. What to do??? Sorry if this has been killed before, I couldn't find any situations quite like mine online. Thanks for any input.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am in college and I live in a old house, first floor, by campus. Lets just say that crime isn't awful but isn't great either in the area. A lot of college kids live by me and as my firearms collection grows, I'm scared of a break in as I work nights. I do not have a closet and I can not bolt down a safe to the wall or floor. What is my best course of action? I have a budget for a decent safe but I could be moving around a bit. I would prefer not to move a heavy safe alot and if I don't bolt it down, it could be stolen anyway. What to do??? Sorry if this has been killed before, I couldn't find any situations quite like mine online. Thanks for any input.

https://youtu.be/wdYPxFMhEkE

what a great movie!

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
what a great movie!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/wdYPxFMhEkE
what a great movie!  

reminds me i need to watch it again
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Weigh down the safe with ammo and get a wifi security camera like "Canary"...
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Install a wireless alarm system. It is all installed with double sided  tape. no holes.

most thieves will bolt if an alarm goes of
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:40:26 AM EDT
[#49]
... I'm scared of a break in as I work nights. I do not have a closet and I can not bolt down a safe to the wall or floor. What is my best course of action?
View Quote

Wrong time, wrong place to expand your collection.

Unless you have trustworthy family with 'safe' space ...you're setting up a losing scenario. Fucking nightmare scenario.

Knack job box.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:52:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Get a jobox and use it as a table.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top