Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It kind of strikes me as turning exercise into a sport.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My best friend is a physical therapist, according to them a significantly large portion of people who come through the clinic come because of crossfit injuries.
Apparently, it's one of the worst things you can do to your body (work out wise) long term and they suggest no one should do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crossfit is a fake exercise program designed to injure you as quickly and severely as possible.  It also melts your renal system as your body poisons itself trying to repair the damage.

Not sure if it is fake or not there are some seriously jacked folks who swear by it.

My best friend is a physical therapist, according to them a significantly large portion of people who come through the clinic come because of crossfit injuries.
Apparently, it's one of the worst things you can do to your body (work out wise) long term and they suggest no one should do it.

Sssshhhhhhhh!!!

<--------This guy sells spinal implants.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crossfit is a fake exercise program designed to injure you as quickly and severely as possible.  It also melts your renal system as your body poisons itself trying to repair the damage.

Not sure if it is fake or not there are some seriously jacked folks who swear by it.

What exactly is a crossfit injury? 95% of a crossfit workout is some type of squat or lifting something over your head.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What's the sound track to this video
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What's the sound track to this video

The XX - Intro

https://youtu.be/_VPKfacgXao
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It just seems like a bunch of exercises thrown together like a crazy workout obstacle course or something.
go.
View Quote

People do it and then complain they don't have time to work on yard projects.  Then they hire someone to do yard projects.  May as well hire someone to do crossfit for you.  Sit home and drink beer.  

Works for me.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What exactly is a crossfit injury? 95% of a crossfit workout is some type of squat or lifting something over your head.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A WOD usually combines lifting with some sort of high intensity cardio. When people get exhausted, their form can get bad resulting in injury.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right.  But you left out the important part...those movements are often done way too fast to ensure proper form because of the emphasis on time.  Yet, most CFers SWEAR they have PERFECT form.  Okay.  

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A WOD usually combines lifting with some sort of high intensity cardio. When people get exhausted, their form can get bad resulting in injury.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is amplified when 87% of the time the form was never close to good in the first place.  Combine that with some large boobies with camel toe and hard nipples to stare at and you are probably going to break something.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Crossfit is making Olympic lifting popular......

I've been doing Crossfit going on 1 year now.....I love it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It started out as a pretty good workout routine designed by a guy who was a former gymnastics guru, that also incorporated a bunch of Oly lifts and other high intensity workouts, that later became franchised, very expensive, its own language (gyms=box), and the basis of what most outsiders would consider a cult like status.

Its very big on quantifiable improvement, which makes it about getting good at doing the movements, mastering technique to achieve more repetitions/more weight, over the basis of doing the exercise in the first place.

The most egregious is the kipping pullup, an exercise designed to strengthen the back and arms by repeatedly pulling the body weight up to a bar. In Crossfit, they introduce methods of cheating, called kipping, where a very taught technique utilizing momentum is used to achieve more repetitions, which = winning in Crossfit, regardless if it violates the tenets of doing the exercise in the first place. Oly lifts are also notorious, as they perfect the momentum aspect, it allows more weight, instead of just focusing on getting over the strength aspect (what a progression of the different Oly lift movements over years on youtube).

They are also notorious with having barely qualified instructors having novices doing very dangerous movements using bad form. Meaning Crossfit ensures orthopedic surgeons always make their boat payments.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It just seems like a bunch of exercises thrown together like a crazy workout obstacle course or something.
go.

It started out as a pretty good workout routine designed by a guy who was a former gymnastics guru, that also incorporated a bunch of Oly lifts and other high intensity workouts, that later became franchised, very expensive, its own language (gyms=box), and the basis of what most outsiders would consider a cult like status.

Its very big on quantifiable improvement, which makes it about getting good at doing the movements, mastering technique to achieve more repetitions/more weight, over the basis of doing the exercise in the first place.

The most egregious is the kipping pullup, an exercise designed to strengthen the back and arms by repeatedly pulling the body weight up to a bar. In Crossfit, they introduce methods of cheating, called kipping, where a very taught technique utilizing momentum is used to achieve more repetitions, which = winning in Crossfit, regardless if it violates the tenets of doing the exercise in the first place. Oly lifts are also notorious, as they perfect the momentum aspect, it allows more weight, instead of just focusing on getting over the strength aspect (what a progression of the different Oly lift movements over years on youtube).

They are also notorious with having barely qualified instructors having novices doing very dangerous movements using bad form. Meaning Crossfit ensures orthopedic surgeons always make their boat payments.

LOL.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It'll get you in shape and strong.

My friend at the shop has been doing it for a while and it's made him a beast.

A lot of it has to do with the instructor you're with.

I still think a lot of the exercises he describes are retarded. Holding a barbell with 135 pounds over your head and doing lunges. Now, that being said, there's certainly a science behind doing that (of course you work up to that). You're firing all your micro/stabilization muscles, honing your balance and control of each muscle, developing coordination, etc.

Still tarded.
View Quote

This, x1000.  It's all about a good instructor.  Bad instructors will have you doing things that will get you hurt.  Good instructors will scale things for you and make sure you are using good form.

I am not a Crossfitter but I lived with one for 3+ years.  I have also been to more competitions than I care to admit.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Crossfit is a lifestyle:  it starts in the gym and ends on your Facebook page.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Scaling is something people don't take as seriously as they should. Today's workout at my local crossfit gym - three levels - 21 -15 - 9 of row and thrusters makes me hate life.

MONDAY CROSSFIT CLASSES
RX: 21-15-9 Calorie row and Thrusters (30/40). Rest 3 min. 21-15-9 Toes To Bar and Handstand Push Ups. 13min cap including rest
Gold:  21-15-9 Calorie row and Thrusters (30/40). Rest 5 min. 21-15-9 Toes to Bar and Handstand Push Ups
Silver: 21-15-9 Calorie row and Thrusters (bar). Rest 5 min. 21-15-9 V-Ups or Toes Above Hips and Push Ups
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been doing it for a couple years.  I am not a Kool-Aid drinker, but I will say that I appreciate what I've gotten out of it:

- As has been mentioned, the team-building/tribe mentality helps sometimes.  There is some peer pressure to show up every day, when the people you work out with/compete with ask where you were when you skip a day.  I found it motivating to find someone who was a little better than me and try to beat them.  Not everyone feeds off of that, but if you like a little friendly rivalry, it works.

- Working out 4-5 days per week if you aren't already will definitely increase your fitness.  I cannot speak to other gyms, but the ones I've been to have scaled versions of workouts so that if you cannot safely do the standard version (maybe sets of 10 deadlifts at 225) then you can scale it down to what you can do and that is challenging (maybe you can do 200, or 150, or whatever).  I've seen fairly out of shape people join and really improve their fitness.  They aren't going to be greek gods, but they are healthier.

- One thing I don't like about it, but kind of goes with the program, is that you never train often enough on any particular lift to get really good at it.  For instance, one might do snatches one day, and might not be required to do them again for a week or two.  That does not really promote sound technique.  Once you get to a certain level of fitness, you kind of plateau if you only do the standard workouts.  I've moved on to working more during the open gym times and focusing more on deadlifts, bench, overhead press, and back squats.  I try to work those lifts 2-3 times per week so that I can get better at them.  I wouldn't be as good as I am in those lifts if I only did them when the workouts called for them.  I still do the workouts, but not as often and if it's something bordering on unsafe for me (stepping up on a box with a weighted barbell didn't appeal to me) I just don't do it, or scale it to something I can do safely.  

I had my ACL reconstructed about 15 months ago, and am lifting more than I ever have.  I have mobility and strength back in my knee, and am not concerned about it anymore.  I rehabbed doing crossfit.  Box jumps scaled down to jumping on plates and slowly building up.  lifting lighter weights until I felt I could trust my knee.  Running, lunges, squats, burpees, etc.  All that stuff helped me build confidence in my knee, so that I was no longer afraid of reinjuring it.  Can you do the same stuff elsewhere?  Sure.  Crossfit isn't the be-all end-all of workouts.  But I also don't think it's such a bad thing as some might say it is.

Scaling is something people don't take as seriously as they should. Today's workout at my local crossfit gym - three levels - 21 -15 - 9 of row and thrusters makes me hate life.

MONDAY CROSSFIT CLASSES
RX: 21-15-9 Calorie row and Thrusters (30/40). Rest 3 min. 21-15-9 Toes To Bar and Handstand Push Ups. 13min cap including rest
Gold:  21-15-9 Calorie row and Thrusters (30/40). Rest 5 min. 21-15-9 Toes to Bar and Handstand Push Ups
Silver: 21-15-9 Calorie row and Thrusters (bar). Rest 5 min. 21-15-9 V-Ups or Toes Above Hips and Push Ups

Are those reps?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, not a crossfit injury, lifting with bad form injury.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#15]
This is like an "explain old man strength to me" thread.  This is usually asked by some cross fitter that just had their ass handed to them by some old man they fucked with at a bar.  

The old man roofed his house, his second house, poured his patio and driveway, dug, leveled, jack hammered, and built a 100 foot long, 8 foot high retaining wall, with 90  pound bricks. Then he remodeled the interior with heavy boxes of porcelain tile, using heavy bags of grout and mortar.  This guy may also build cars for a hobby.  

I would have hired some cross fitters to do the work for me, but I didn't have an air conditioned work environment and the neighbors didn't like all the grunting.  I did have some tires to stack, but once they are stacked, no need to do it again.  

Maybe I should have charged them a membership fee...........................

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Ok, sure. Full body workout with full range of motion is "bad for you".

How much overweight is your friend?

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

When he is carrying a damaged cross fitter to the rehab equipment, that makes him about 195 pounds overweight for a few minutes.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is like an "explain old man strength to me" thread.  This is usually asked by some cross fitter that just had their ass handed to them by some old man they fucked with at a bar.  

The old man roofed his house, his second house, poured his patio and driveway, dug, leveled, jack hammered, and built a 100 foot long, 8 foot high retaining wall, with 90  pound bricks. Then he remodeled the interior with heavy boxes of porcelain tile, using heavy bags of grout and mortar.  This guy may also build cars for a hobby.  

I would have hired some cross fitters to do the work for me, but I didn't have an air conditioned work environment and the neighbors didn't like all the grunting.  I did have some tires to stack, but once they are stacked, no need to do it again.  

View Quote

At my Crossfit gym we have a few members in their 60's, one member in her 70's, and members scattered all the way to their early 20's.

We all have fun.....it's like a big family.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#19]
In before the Crossfit meme gif that will give 9 people a seizure.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

At my Crossfit gym we have a few members in their 60's, one member in her 70's, and members scattered all the way to their early 20's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Know what else was a family?  these guys  Who were also in a cult.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why? If I enjoy kipping pullups as an explosive exercise and they work for that purpose, what is wrong with doing them?
View Quote

They are fine if you want to get good at kipping pullups.

Seems like a good way to not get good at real pullups though, and to jack up your wrists.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A friend of mine joined a Crossfit gym and quit after a week, he said the stuff they are doing will no doubt get him all screwed up.

To further drive that point home, someone told him shortly after he joined "Listen, we are 30 now, that is the wrong side of 25, you can't be doing that shit, because when you get an injury from it, it's going to be harder to fix"

I'll stick to regular pullups and good form with the barbell.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

MONDAY CROSSFIT CLASSES

Are those reps?
View Quote

Yes.  Do 21 calorie row, then 21 thrusters.  15 cal row, then 15 thrusters...
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Seems like if you were going to lift weights you would want to accentuate lifting properly for effect and safety rather than throw those two things out the window.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Seems like if you were going to lift weights you would want to accentuate lifting properly for effect and safety rather than throw those two things out the window.
View Quote

But then you can't race.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why? If I enjoy kipping pullups as an explosive exercise and they work for that purpose, what is wrong with doing them?
View Quote

I'm not saying you're not allowed to do them. But don't do them and then tell people that you did a pullup, because you didn't. You used momentum to get your chin over a bar, you sure didn't use the muscles intended when God designed the pullup. By doing them, you are also failing to demonstrate whether you are strong, in shape, or anything else. You crossfitters should be forced to use quotation marks and asterisks whenever you discuss an exercise.

You:
'I went to the box today and did 40x3 "pullups", totally best by all time record.*'

* Disclaimer
This exercise report is strictly for private and entertainment purposes. Reports of repetitions and weight are the sole claim of the individual reporting them and in no way reflect any factual representation of exercises actually accomplished. These exercises were not to any known standard and do not actually confirm to any human notion of strength or endurance.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I watched this, googled Camille LeBlanc Bazinet and basically have no liquid left in my body. What next?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I watched this, googled Camille LeBlanc Bazinet and basically have no liquid left in my body. What next?  

Another key difference between normal people and crossfitters. Normal people use porn to jerk off, crossfitters use videos of some roided out chick doing overly complicated exercises.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Another key difference between normal people and crossfitters. Normal people use porn to jerk off, crossfitters use videos of some roided out chick doing overly complicated exercises.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at those traps and shoulders...are we positive there isn't a weiner under those short shorts?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Are those reps?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been doing it for a couple years.  I am not a Kool-Aid drinker, but I will say that I appreciate what I've gotten out of it:

- As has been mentioned, the team-building/tribe mentality helps sometimes.  There is some peer pressure to show up every day, when the people you work out with/compete with ask where you were when you skip a day.  I found it motivating to find someone who was a little better than me and try to beat them.  Not everyone feeds off of that, but if you like a little friendly rivalry, it works.

- Working out 4-5 days per week if you aren't already will definitely increase your fitness.  I cannot speak to other gyms, but the ones I've been to have scaled versions of workouts so that if you cannot safely do the standard version (maybe sets of 10 deadlifts at 225) then you can scale it down to what you can do and that is challenging (maybe you can do 200, or 150, or whatever).  I've seen fairly out of shape people join and really improve their fitness.  They aren't going to be greek gods, but they are healthier.

- One thing I don't like about it, but kind of goes with the program, is that you never train often enough on any particular lift to get really good at it.  For instance, one might do snatches one day, and might not be required to do them again for a week or two.  That does not really promote sound technique.  Once you get to a certain level of fitness, you kind of plateau if you only do the standard workouts.  I've moved on to working more during the open gym times and focusing more on deadlifts, bench, overhead press, and back squats.  I try to work those lifts 2-3 times per week so that I can get better at them.  I wouldn't be as good as I am in those lifts if I only did them when the workouts called for them.  I still do the workouts, but not as often and if it's something bordering on unsafe for me (stepping up on a box with a weighted barbell didn't appeal to me) I just don't do it, or scale it to something I can do safely.  

I had my ACL reconstructed about 15 months ago, and am lifting more than I ever have.  I have mobility and strength back in my knee, and am not concerned about it anymore.  I rehabbed doing crossfit.  Box jumps scaled down to jumping on plates and slowly building up.  lifting lighter weights until I felt I could trust my knee.  Running, lunges, squats, burpees, etc.  All that stuff helped me build confidence in my knee, so that I was no longer afraid of reinjuring it.  Can you do the same stuff elsewhere?  Sure.  Crossfit isn't the be-all end-all of workouts.  But I also don't think it's such a bad thing as some might say it is.

MONDAY CROSSFIT CLASSES

Are those reps?

Calories for the row, reps for everything else. The weights are kilos
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://crossfit-games.edgesuite.net/sites/default/files/2014_CamilleLeblancBazinet_floater3.jpg

Look at those traps and shoulders...are we positive there isn't a weiner under those short shorts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://crossfit-games.edgesuite.net/sites/default/files/2014_CamilleLeblancBazinet_floater3.jpg

Probably a clit the size of a large baby carrot
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm not saying you're not allowed to do them. But don't do them and then tell people that you did a pullup, because you didn't. You used momentum to get your chin over a bar, you sure didn't use the muscles intended when God designed the pullup. By doing them, you are also failing to demonstrate whether you are strong, in shape, or anything else. You crossfitters should be forced to use quotation marks and asterisks whenever you discuss an exercise.

You:
'I went to the box today and did 40x3 "pullups", totally best by all time record.*'

* Disclaimer
This exercise report is strictly for private and entertainment purposes. Reports of repetitions and weight are the sole claim of the individual reporting them and in no way reflect any factual representation of exercises actually accomplished. These exercises were not to any known standard and do not actually confirm to any human notion of strength or endurance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You:

* Disclaimer

You know them damn powerlifters do the same thing with their triple ply knee wrap 1/4 squats.  And don't even talk about those chicks that fold in half for the 4" total range of motion bench press.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You:

* Disclaimer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You:

* Disclaimer

OR I could just qualify with "kipping"
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#33]
What's funny is, from a completely alien perspective (I'm neither a weight junkie nor a Crossfitter), is that the most gum-flapping I've ever heard in my life about working out has been from the Oly lifters ABOUT Crossfit. Hell, I probably know half a dozen people who do Crossfit and they don't talk about it nearly as much as the people I know who lift weights talk about it.

The weight junkies make memes, and funny .gifs, and they have an entire language just devoted to poking fun at Crossfit.

I think some people just need a boogeyman.

I'm sure some of it is deserved, every group has its tards, but holy fuck you'd think Crossfit people ran into the normal weight lifter's gyms, shit on the equipment and ran away cackling.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You:

* Disclaimer

Don't try to pretend that kipping is a pull up by putting in quotes.

It's not.

When you do regular pullups, the first rep you kip on in a failed rep.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You:

* Disclaimer

Call it a kip up. A cheat up.  Don't include the word pull up, you haven't earned it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You know them damn powerlifters do the same thing with their triple ply knee wrap 1/4 squats.  And don't even talk about those chicks that fold in half for the 4" total range of motion bench press.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You:

* Disclaimer

I agree on artificial support. Bench suits, knee wraps, I'm talking about basic form. Crossfitter form is the biometric knee wraps/bench suit.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Seems a lot like what Steve Ilg was writing about in 1990 or so.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Call it a kip up. A cheat up.  Don't include the word pull up, you haven't earned it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You:

* Disclaimer

Just an FYI.

If you see someone at the gym who's butterflying their pull-ups, don't challenge them to a strict pull-up contest.......they'll kick your ass.

I'm not talking about just a single kip pull-up...I mean a true butterfly.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I've noticed the kipping pull up thing. It's almost like a circular movement instead of just and up and down movement.

Kipping pull ups != strict pull ups

They are for two very different purposes and work different muscles.
Look at the gif on the first page of Camille doing a kipping ring muscle up. The amount of total body coordination and explosiveness they take are incredible.

No, they aren't equal. Kipping pullups were developed as a way of doing more pullups, Marines had been doing them since before you were born likely. Its about doing more of them. The point of doing a pullup is to get a stronger back and arms. If you want to get stronger "explosive" core muscles, do a different explosive exercise. If you want to cheat a pull up to tell people "I can do 50 pull ups no problem" then kipping is what you are wanting. Or else you want 20 pullups to get a promotion at work. But if you're actually going for strength, dead hangs is the only way to do it. You're taking a cheating exercise and trying to still find usefulness in it, and you're doing this because you're a cultist.

If you enjoy them then great but dont  fool yourself into thinking that using momentum to get more reps will increase explosive power.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#41]
People like it and that's all that matters.  I do wish that they would lay off some of the Olympic lifts though.  The stuff that i've seen is pretty scary.  You can hurt yourself pretty bad without the proper training and not a whole lot of people know how to do it properly.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If you enjoy them then great but dont  fool yourself into thinking that using momentum to get more reps will increase explosive power.
View Quote

For me, butterfly pull-up are more cardio than anything.

I'm not sure why you and others are bitching about the kipping or butterfly pull-up. They'll different exercises and they each serve a different purpose. At my gym we train them separately.

Butterfly pull-ups are a lot more dynamic and do a lot more for "explosive" power than you think.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Crossfit is the reverse fight club.

First rule of crossfit, never shut the **** up about crossfit.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course you need to insult a lady when you feel your masculinity challenged.

I guess this makes me a white knight
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
People like it and that's all that matters.  I do wish that they would lay off some of the Olympic lifts though.  The stuff that i've seen is pretty scary.  You can hurt yourself pretty bad without the proper training and not a whole lot of people know how to do it properly.
View Quote

Performing a lift properly takes a lot of practice. Lifts like the snatch, really take a lot of practice.

The Olympic lifts are probably my favorite thing about Crossfit...we perform them in some capacity every week. Sorry, but there's no chance they're going away....they're the foundation of Crossfit.

How often do you think the gym Bros in this thread that are bitching about Crossfit actually perform Olympic lifts? I'll bet never.......which is sad, because Olympic lifts actually do a lot for people in terms of strength, balance, mobility, etc.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think Ive ever seen a cross fit person do a proper clean, jerk or snatch.  If you cant do it with a bar then you definitely shouldn't do it with a kettle bell or dumbbell.  That's just asking for problems and i would wager that is where the majority of the injuries come from.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not sure why you and others are bitching about the kipping or butterfly pull-up. They'll different exercises and they each serve a different purpose. At my gym we train them separately.

Butterfly pull-ups are a lot more dynamic and do a lot more for "explosive" power than you think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont think you understand what explosive power is.

You  dont improve explosive power with high reps and using momentum

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too broken down and diseased to work out, but you have my attention.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Performing a lift properly takes a lot of practice. Lifts like the snatch, really take a lot of practice.

The Olympic lifts are probably my favorite thing about Crossfit...we perform them in some capacity every week. Sorry, but there's no chance they're going away....they're the foundation of Crossfit.

How often do you think the gym Bros in this thread that are bitching about Crossfit actually perform Olympic lifts? I'll bet never.......which is sad, because Olympic lifts actually do a lot for people in terms of strength, balance, mobility, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Olympic lifts are the most important lifts IMO.  But I also know they take years to master with proper training.  I was lucky enough to have world class strength coaches for a long time so I have the benefit of experiencing the proper way to do it.  Most of what I see in cross fit is wrong and down right dangerous.  I cant count the times Ive cringed while watching someone try to save a snatch which is completely stupid.  I dont doubt that there are some that have the experience, i just havent seen it
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that's interesting, since BOTH high rep and low rep training is critical to building strength....it doesn't matter if you're a Crossfit athlete or not.

Serious question- Have you ever trained with, or know a competitive Olympic or Power Lifter? How do they train?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top