Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/4/2016 8:06:47 AM EDT

A New Jersey doctor accused of attacking a 12-year-old boy in a "ski rage" incident has pleaded not guilty.

Authorities say the anesthesiologist was skiing with his own child at the Mountain Creek resort in northern New Jersey last month when the victim fell into them. Caruthers allegedly punched the boy in the mouth and hit him with the end of a ski pole.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
when push comes to shove most people have very little self control.  all it takes for them to get violent is a little catalyst.  

children skiiers or snowboarders are dangerous assholes.  

the dickhead kid probably rammed into the doctors child and the gloves came off.  

I'm torn on this because the doctor seems like he s guilty but the little shit probably deserved it and perhaps worse.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd have a bad attitude too if I had to ski in New Jersey.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This x a million.

"Skiing in New Jersey" doesn't even sound fun, let alone paying to do it.

And I'd bet a considerable sum of money that the punchee crashed into them due to negligence and then mouthed off like an obnoxious little shit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
when push comes to shove most people have very little self control.  all it takes for them to get violent is a little catalyst.  

the dickhead kid probably rammed into the doctors child and the gloves came off.  

I'm torn on this because the doctor seems like he s guilty but the little shit probably deserved it and perhaps worse.
View Quote

Wow...nothing like passing judgement without the facts.

How long had the kid been skiing?  Newbies tend to fall/lose control a lot...it could have very well been done accidentally.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How long had the kid been skiing?  Newbies tend to fall/lose control a lot...it could have very well been done accidentally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, 12 year old kid falling on a slope and it's his fault and deserved to get beat up by an adult over it?

Hope you don't have kids Beachhead0, probably punch them in the face for shitting in their diaper.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This x a million.

And I'd bet a considerable sum of money that the punchee crashed into them due to negligence and then mouthed off like an obnoxious little shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This x a million.

OMG across the state line in Illinois, there is a snowboard only area.
It is like 300' long.

AND PACKED WITH KIDS.

I would give up the sport, if that was the best I could get.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I've only been skiing once in my life and the other people there skiing were some of the biggest pricks I've ever had to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#9]
you ve never seen some little shit barreling down the slopes as if they are trying out for the Olympic downhill team.  it s dangerous to themselves and others.   if the story gets more coverage it will be interesting to see what happened.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Defense attorney Robert Dunn says it's an unfortunate incident that his client is very sorry about. This is called "a clue"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Defense attorney Robert Dunn says it's an unfortunate incident that his client is very sorry about. This is called "a clue"  

or perhaps the realization that certain arguments won't play well in court.   I'm sure you ve always made arguments based on facts(which are still unknown in this case) rather than what was strategically in the best interest of your client
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uhm, ok.

Glad you're not a ski patroller.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll just use the emoji instead of typing out my actual thoughts on your derp.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll go out on a limb and say when your lawyer starts apologizing you fucked up.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or perhaps the realization that certain arguments won't play well in court.   I'm sure you ve always made arguments based on facts(which are still unknown in this case) rather than what was strategically in the best interest of your client
I'll go out on a limb and say when your lawyer starts apologizing you fucked up.  

LOL
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Right, 12 year old kid falling on a slope and it's his fault and deserved to get beat up by an adult over it?

Hope you don't have kids Beachhead0, probably punch them in the face for shitting in their diaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That last sentence made me lol.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Skiing in Vermont is bad enough with those iceholes shoving their way into everything from lockers to lunch lines, can't imagine how much worse it would be in their home nest
with a denser population of them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a skier I can attest to this....A fair number of 10-20 yo are fuctards on the slopes.....  
This may not be the case here... but I won't be surprised if it is...
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This x a million.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This x a million.

Hopefully the little brat's dad isn't "connected"
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#21]

My wife was a skier before we got married. . . .wanted me to learn, so I did. . . we ended up getting married, and skiing was too much of an expense and too time consuming/tiring as we were driving about 2-1/2 hours each way to ski at Catamount MA. . . (Too expensive---the lift tickets, I think were about $8 or $10 a day there at that time--mid 70's--funny, right?)

I did notice one thing, even way back then, and even though I only skied occasionally for about 2-3 years:

Skiing, like certain other sports/hobbies, seems to have a high asshole-to-normal person ratio.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Dad may have flipped out, but after spending the last 40 years skiing I can say the last 12 years really seem to be worse.  Way more crowded slopes, and more unguided missles than there used to be.  I don't go that much anymore, but I really watch the people below, and above me when I end up on blue and green slopes.  People have really got bad attitudes anymore. Slope grooming lets you go pretty damn fast on the beginner and intermediate runs.  Half the crowd is oblivious and jamming music to loud to hear anything.

I try and stick to the ungroomed steeps, that thins the herd pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#23]
The kid running into them is just one of the risks you take when you ski. In no way do I condone an adult punching a kid in the mouth and then striking him with a ski pole. I hope he gets the book thrown at him.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering your screen name, you should probably be afraid, he might kick your ass too!
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great job Matlock! You busted this one wide open.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This ^  and it can be difficult to tell a 12 year old from an 18 year old in full ski gear sometimes. I've seem some punks that need a good smack on occasion.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I've always found the Human Centipede line of slaloming new skiers to be pretty dangerous.

Kids, and 40 year olds still trying to pull moves they stopped being able to do ten years ago. You avoid them.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Article is pretty lacking in details. However, I don't think it was so much "falling into" them as "crashing into" them. And the ski pole was probably as the kid was skiing away and the doc was going "Hey! Get back here!". Did the doc go overboard? Depends on how bad his own kid was screaming at the time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The kid running into them is just one of the risks you take when you ski.
View Quote

Pretty much this.  

Skiing is dangerous, and not just because of what you can do to yourself on your own.  There's a lot of other people out there - some are assholes, some are trying to ski above their level, some are oblivious to others, and some just have no idea what they're doing.  Accidents and collisions are going to happen.  I think skiiers view it a little like George Carlin's take on drivers - anyone slower than you is an asshole, anyone faster is a maniac.

The kid may have been skiing like an asshole, he could have been trying to avoid a collision with yet another skiier and chose the least bad alternative, or he may have just hit ice or rock and lost control.  None of that, however, is legal justification for an adult physically attacking a kid.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#31]
haha good ol' Mountain creek.

I grew up skiing there. To say it's full of douchebags from NJ and NYC is to put it lightly. I once saw this group of middle schoolers surround this little random asian kid in the ski lift line and pelt him with snowballs
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll go with this
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like someone should have knocked the anesthesiologist out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

The "ski" area is 47 miles from the NYC metro area and offers a mind-boggling 167 acres of skiing. http://www.mountaincreek.com/mountain/mountain-statistics/

What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I started skiing when I was 9.

Slowly snowplowing my way down the hill (no mountains in Northern Illinois) I wound up not-snowplowing and found myself barreling down the slope totally out of control.

Trying to figure out how to slow down was quickly replaced with trying to figure out how to stop.  I wound up stopping by hitting the line of people at the bottom waiting for the lift.  Probably took out  a half dozen of 'em.

No one beat me or yelled at me. They knew I was just a kid learning how to ski and that shit happens.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Slowly snowplowing my way down the hill (no mountains in Northern Illinois) I wound up not-snowplowing and found myself barreling down the slope totally out of control.

Trying to figure out how to slow down was quickly replaced with trying to figure out how to stop.  I wound up stopping by hitting the line of people at the bottom waiting for the lift.  Probably took out  a half dozen of 'em.

No one beat me or yelled at me. They knew I was just a kid learning how to ski and that shit happens.  
View Quote

Wilmot, Alpine, or Playboy?

I did the same at Playboy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GD gonna GD.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
you ve never seen some little shit barreling down the slopes as if they are trying out for the Olympic downhill team.  it s dangerous to themselves and others.   if the story gets more coverage it will be interesting to see what happened.
View Quote

It's a ski area. Did you expect the kid to ski up the hill?

It's a ski slope. People ski down it. It's not fast walking at the mall.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#39]
The downhill skier has the right-of-way.

So if you fall and you hit hit someone, you screwed up. If you fall and hit multiple people, you screwed up. If you hit them hard enough that they react violently? You screwed up and were probably skiing out of control definitely beyond your ability.

Not that it excuses the violent response...

Anyway, think I'll walk out my door to the ski lift now... see ya!
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been hitting the slopes for a decades now.

Most folks who go up regularly know that it's most likely the dickhead probably did ram into the Doctor's kid.

Younger snowboarders and Skiers really jump into the whole gang mentality of ski vs snowboard and then proceed to do stupid shit.

Don't ask me why, but I've seen it so many times I just assume now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on what the level was there are different rules for conduct.

Many double diamonds connect to the bunny slopes at the very end of the run. This puts the experienced guys on the same giant flat hill with the folks who are just learning.

There are a lot of kids who are 12, 13, 14 years old who have been skiing/snowboarding since they were 5. They frequently use these areas to show off and do stupid shit.

I'm fine with it, I accept it, but the premise that the kid deserved it is 50/50 as far as I'm concerned. You spend times on the slopes and you see this shit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus...that was 51 years ago.  I've skied at all three of those places, but Wilmot comes to mind when I think about it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Jesus...that was 51 years ago.  I've skied at all three of those places, but Wilmot comes to mind when I think about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine was the late '70s
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

ever notice how people would by far rather have a smug, superior attitude than to actually know anything?

having an emotionally satisfying but stupid opinion is the only thing anyone cares about

knowledge and logic means nothing to people
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#45]
This has been up since 0500 and nobody posted a video of Snookie being punched?

If you want it done right...

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Considering your screen name, you should probably be afraid, he might kick your ass too!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This place is freakin hilarious at times!  
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#47]
When I was in New Jersey and we wanted to go skiing, we drove to Pennsylvania!!

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen PLENTY of people, including 12 year olds, who are down right reckless to the point of endangering people.

My mom got smacked hard while standing at the bottom of the hill in line for the lift by some twenty something going at full speed trying to deliberately "thread the needled" between people so he could coast all the way to the lodge.  She was hit from behind and knocked out flat on her face unconscious.  She was relatively young at the time and was able to take that kind of hit without serious injury.  She's older now and still skis but if that happened to her today, it could kill her.  I was in my teens but I still remember it and it was HARD hit.  People had to hold my dad back from punching that stupid son of a bitch.

If that's similar to what happened then I'd certainly understand even if it ain't right.

But who knows, there aren't enough details in the story.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This x a million.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This x a million.

This right here
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep happened to me the first time. Embarrased as hell because I crashed INTO the ski lift line directly in front of a 4X8 SLOW sign.  Guy got pissed and spelled it out off at the top of his lungs.  Fortunately for me his spelling lesson stuck with me, and I was able to repeat it all the way up the lift behind him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top