Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/12/2016 7:00:50 AM EDT
Protesters blocking roads, would you support a law that gave legal drivers immunity for running them over if they didn't allow traffic through or attempted to damage your vehicle?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Gets my vote, when are you running  for office?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#2]
There already is a law, it's called I feared for my life and had to escape.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 7:04:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Can we include those homeless guys who clean my windshield, then ask for money?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Ya, that sort of works but you'd better be able to defend that position in court but for sure and for certain that's where you'll end up.

Had a State Trooper talk to a group of us about self defense issues.  He said the biggest best weapon they have at their disposal is a 4000lb automobile.  It is provides a significant defensive position as well as an intimidating offensive tool.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont know why pedestrians have the right of way anymore. 100 years ago I understand but now its much easier for a person walking 5 mph to stop than a car going 25.  Not to mention the ability to hear and see a car better from the pedestrian perspective.  Crossing a road? Cross at your own risk Block the road and speed limit is 25 mph? Then you as a pedestrian would be expected to clear the road car hits you at 25 oh well
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Good luck making it stick in court, jury nullification is your only hope.

Either way you get my vote or my not-guilty vote.  Run them over.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I would vote for it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh, fearing for my life is all I would claim. The only thing I would have to remember would be to come to a complete stop and wait for one to touch my car. I would always just wanna barrel through like a bowling ball through the pins .

ETA: It wouldn't be hard to prove if the individual did wait for first contact by the mob with how everyone records it now adays.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#9]
If Darwin would be for it, so  would I.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I worked for a company one time that had union picketers around a job. The boss ordered a crane and told the operator there would be picketers and asked if that was a problem. Operators reply was that yes it was a problem to clean them out of the wheels. When the crane arrived it came off of the ramp headed for the gate with that Detroit wound tight. The sign carriers realized that the crane carrier had the right of way and moved PDQ.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gets my vote, when are you running  for office?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Not only should it be a law, there needs to be a fine for not running them over.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I worked for a company one time that had union picketers around a job. The boss ordered a crane and told the operator there would be picketers and asked if that was a problem. Operators reply was that yes it was a problem to clean them out of the wheels. When the crane arrived it came off of the ramp headed for the gate with that Detroit wound tight. The sign carriers realized that the crane carrier had the right of way and moved PDQ.
View Quote

Nice

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I`d have my attorney play the Reginald Denny video over and over and over in front of the jury. No fucking way my family is going to be attacked while I`m on duty at the wheel. Animals get killed on the road all the time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Yup! Who do we talk to about such a bill?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#17]
At 18, my friends and I went to Montreal.
If the traffic signal was green, they gunned it if a pedestrian was crossing.
Seemed funny at the time that we had to run, but after the 3rd one,
We decided that drivers up there would rather hit you instead of slow down.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL why do you hate capitalism?

Where I live the kids leaving school have the "right of way" so the teenagers show how cool they are just walk out into the street.  My side view mirror has scratches from the zippers on those stupid hoodies they like to wear.  I can play chicken all day behind the wheel of my 3500 chevy.   I hope they cr@pped their boxers and have to pull their pants all the way up.

Clearly Darwin suggest that if I don't run them over, these stupid kids will find even more stupid people to mate with and breed super stupid children.  I would be performing a public service...a hero of sorts.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes, absolutely.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah for circumstances such as that, also I would add an ear piercing Air horn or air raid siren would also work, it is something you can not ignore and have to retreat to cover especially in close proximity of the device. They aren't militants yet they dont have the will to suffer busted ear drums.  If only there was a brown noise that would affect everyone, you could play it and laugh while they shit themselves.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes. Besides, they can't all be in a crosswalk.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I would like to have Q retrofit my truck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not required to retreat in TX.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm not required to retreat in TX.
View Quote

And vehicles have ROW unless in a crosswalk.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would vote for it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I dont know why pedestrians have the right of way anymore. 100 years ago I understand but now its much easier for a person walking 5 mph to stop than a car going 25.  Not to mention the ability to hear and see a car better from the pedestrian perspective.  Crossing a road? Cross at your own risk Block the road and speed limit is 25 mph? Then you as a pedestrian would be expected to clear the road car hits you at 25 oh well
View Quote

Well, we used to teach our children to look both ways before crossing the road...Now we teach them to walk right into the path of cars while wearing headphones and staring into their phone, oblivious to the world.   Darwin must be spinning in his grave...
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#29]
For a kid by a school? No

For a POS protester blocking highways like we've seen a few times recently?  Fuck yeah. Get an ARB steel bumper and it's FO time
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For a kid by a school? No

For a POS protester blocking highways like we've seen a few times recently?  Fuck yeah. Time to go get an ARB steel bumper and it's FO time
View Quote

Not talking about school kids, talking actual protesters blocking roads and disrupting traffic flow.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes, I would support the law.

The second they stop your progress or touch you or your car they intend to kill you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, we used to teach our children to look both ways before crossing the road...Now we teach them to walk right into the path of cars while wearing headphones and staring into their phone, oblivious to the world.   Darwin must be spinning in his grave...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a guy walk right out in front of me one day without ever looking.  I said "I guess if you don't look, they can't run you over, huh..........dumbass.".

He just gave me this bewildered look.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes. But I'll do whatever I need to do if my life or my families in jeopardy no matter what the law is.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes I support it and the protester should be liable for the damages to my vehicle  after the fact too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I'd just be happy if the police did their job and arrested people who blocked traffic and assaulted motorists.

How it even gets to the point of protesters blocking freeways is beyond me.  I just don't understand the strategy of standing back and letting people be lawless until they get tired and go home.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I wouldn't run protestors over just for blocking traffic. That's absurd.

Now, a protest becoming a riot and people swarming your vehicle? I'd start feeling a little alarmed then. I typically carry a G19, but the last thing I want to do is start shooting people. It's just a bad situation all around if it comes to that.

I drive a pick-up truck so I know it would get the job done if I needed it to.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#37]
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.

Although they are a PITA they are at least TRYING.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, don't you remember Reginald Denny?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd vote for any law that allows people to hurt, injure, or kill criminals who commit property crimes or crimes of violence.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Protesters blocking roads, would you support a law that gave legal drivers immunity for running them over if they didn't allow traffic through or attempted to damage your vehicle?
View Quote

I'll write that report!

ABSOLUTELY support.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#42]
They sell snowplows around here.

Hmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#43]
This is why I have a large can of OC in the door pocket of my cars front seat doors.

Spray away.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Not just for blocking the road.

There are already protections in place if you run over people that threaten your well being and it's considered self defense. In a mob scene where your vehicle was surrounded and being damaged / pummeled it's reasonable and easy to articulate being in fear for your life or of grave bodily harm; and under those circumstances use the vehicle as a weapon and means of escape.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Would 100% support this law.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ya, that sort of works but you'd better be able to defend that position in court but for sure and for certain that's where you'll end up.

Had a State Trooper talk to a group of us about self defense issues.  He said the biggest best weapon they have at their disposal is a 4000lb automobile.  It is provides a significant defensive position as well as an intimidating offensive tool.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
At 18, my friends and I went to Montreal.
If the traffic signal was green, they gunned it if a pedestrian was crossing.
Seemed funny at the time that we had to run, but after the 3rd one,
We decided that drivers up there would rather hit you instead of slow down.
View Quote

And THAT is exactly how deterrence works. The point is not to hit the pedestrian protester but to create a realistic expectation of negative consequences such that the pedestrian protester doesn't consider blocking traffic in the first place.

It's the same theory that applies to CCW.

It's also why white people don't generally walk into ghettos at night.

We wouldn't need a border wall if crossing our border carried life changing/threatening consequences. No consequences no deterrence.

Again, the point is NOT for those consequences to occur, but that the realistic risk of those consequences prevents the unwanted conduct from ever happening.

Google the origins of the term "deadline".

OP, your proposed legislation gets my vote.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Given the events of last night in Chicago, yes

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Why ever would people want to run peaceful protestors over??

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top