Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2016 5:10:31 PM EDT
http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Man-Facing-Felony-Menacing-Charge-for-Answering-Door-With-Gun-371900872.html?device=tablet&c=y

a local man is charged with felony menacing for answering his door with a gun.

He reportedly told police that he was concerned for his safety, which is why he answered the door with a loaded pistol
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Screen name?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
He's doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Castle, king, blah, blah, blah...when the real king's men show up, you'd better be ready to pick up that can, peasant!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
He shouldn't have answered his door with a gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Step 1 for answering the door:  never answer the door.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]
What would happen if I opened the door with no clothes on?  That could be pretty menacing too.  What a fucked up world we live in.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
" Chapman said he kept the gun pointed down when he told the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department inspector to leave. The inspector claims Chapman pointed the gun at his chest." Misleading headline is misleading.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't answer the door, my male GSD does....enthusiastically at that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Huge difference between "answering the door with a gun" and "pointing it at someone's chest".

That being said. I automatically assume that the local.gov official here is a lying sack of crap.  Chances are he is a panty waist liberal who was so scared by seeing a pistol, and knew that answering to door with it is not a crime, so a simple lie gets him the results (and "victim" status) that he wants... and everyone else will think twice before messing with a local "G-man".

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No he is well within his rights to answer his door carrying, the fact he may have brandished it in a threatening manner seems to be where the problem is.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No he is well within his rights to answer his door carrying, the fact he may have brandished it in a threatening manner seems to be where the problem is.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't read the article but did he answer the door with a gun in his hand or in a holster?  I usually have a gun in a holster when I answer the door.  But having it in your hand is a different story.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Huge difference between "answering the door with a gun" and "pointing it at someone's chest".

That being said. I automatically assume that the local.gov official here is a lying sack of crap.  Chances are he is a panty waist liberal who was so scared by seeing a pistol, and knew that answering to door with it is not a crime, so a simple lie gets him the results (and "victim" status) that he wants... and everyone else will think twice before messing with a local "G-man".
View Quote

I want to know why a building inspector was at the residence in the first place - what's the history & what time was it.

Either party could be a lying sack of crap in this case.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#13]

That's pure bullshit IMHO

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#14]
He got arrested because the inspector said the home owner pointed the gun at him.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I want to know why a building inspector was at the residence in the first place - what's the history & what time was it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Since when can a building inspector, or any other government employee, just walk into your house to "do an inspection" or anything else? Bang away, idiot, you should be charged with harassment at the least.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I didn't read the article but did he answer the door with a gun in his hand or in a holster?  I usually have a gun in a holster when I answer the door.  But having it in your hand is a different story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either way is really ok, I usally have it in a holstered but in the middle of the night and I have to get out of bed to go to the door it is in my hand I just keep it hidden from view.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Should have fired 2 shots through the door with a double barrel shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've answered the door plenty of times with gun in hand but out of sight. No reason to present until you're sure it's a hostile.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He got arrested because the inspector said the home owner pointed the gun at him.
View Quote

People lie.   Do not assume that the assertion is truthful.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sadly this.  I also assume the guy pounding on the door is some panty waist liberal who got scared from a scary gun, twisting the story.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've answered the door plenty of times with gun in hand but out of sight. No reason to present until you're sure it's a hostile.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  So much this.

Also, govt goons shouldn't be able to cross your property line without prior written approval.

My guess is that the govt douche pounded on the door, guy wakes up, answers it....has pistol in his right hand pointed at the floor.  Goon says "I'm inspecting your property."  Homeowner says GTFO.  Goon gets pussy hurt because he got booted from the property.  Files complaint because asshole.

Which is why I always keep the pistol out of sight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Screen name?
View Quote

An Arfcommer wouldn't have answered the door.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Should have fired 2 shots through the door with a double barrel shotgun.
View Quote

Is that you Uncle Joe?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I ATE THE LAST THREE PEOPLE TO COME AND KNOCK ON MY DOOR, ass end first
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

But having it in your hand is a different story.

View Quote

No it isn't.  When I'm in my own house, I can have a gun in my hand any time that I want to;  that whole "keep and bear" thing.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No it isn't.  When I'm in my own house, I can have a gun in my hand any time that I want to;  that whole "keep and bear" thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But having it in your hand is a different story.

Yes, you can.  You can't point it at others, and while I'm not saying that this guy pointed it...if you read the story, the government asshole claims that the homeowner pointed it.

It's likely that the govt drone got pissed about getting told to GTFO and claimed it was pointed.

The point of hiding the fact that you have a gun is to prevent the drone from concocting stories like that by preventing them from knowing you have the gun so they won't make false claims about what you did with said gun.  Not because it's illegal to have it.....which it's not.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Really? El Paso County?

Is the big deal the fact that he had the gun in his hand? Or did the inspector just lie, because the liberal faggots around here tend to do that a lot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#29]
he said, she said, BS

never should have been charged.

this will go away and he will have to sue to get his fees and losses back.

edit: and DC vs Heller.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never said it was...I'm saying that is what he was arrested for.  The police probably had enough to bring the guy in, but the case will probably get thrown when a competant attorney gets a hold of it
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Curious to see if the video turns up.
I would wait till after I was charged to produce the video.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Really? El Paso County?

Is the big deal the fact that he had the gun in his hand? Or did the inspector just lie, because the liberal faggots around here tend to do that a lot.
View Quote

I'm more willing to say "liberal faggot" than the guy pointed the gun.  He had no reason to point the gun.  Home inspector had motive to lie.  Shrug.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Why answer if you're concerned?

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't answer the door, my male GSD does....enthusiastically at that.
View Quote

I had one. Yes. Usually followed by the sounds of "Please don't open the door!"  
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, you can.  You can't point it at others, and while I'm not saying that this guy pointed it...if you read the story, the government asshole claims that the homeowner pointed it.

It's likely that the govt drone got pissed about getting told to GTFO and claimed it was pointed.

The point of hiding the fact that you have a gun is to prevent the drone from concocting stories like that by preventing them from knowing you have the gun so they won't make false claims about what you did with said gun.  Not because it's illegal to have it.....which it's not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Show us where I said anything about pointing my gun at someone.  I'll wait.

Quoted:

. . . the government asshole claims . . .

It's likely that the govt drone got pissed about getting told to GTFO and claimed it was pointed . . .

Claim, claim, claim.  No proof whatsoever.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Answering the door in Alabama with a gun in my hand is my right.  My castle my rules and they also concur with state law. You are on my property when you leave the street and cross the property line and in this state I can carry a gun on any part of my property, concealed or not, WITHOUT a permit.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Should have invested in some cheap security cameras as well. Nothing beats video evidence of what really happened.

And by the by, I always answer the door with a gun. The person ringing just doesn't know it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's likely that the govt drone got pissed about getting told to GTFO and claimed it was pointed . . .

So we agree, charges should be dropped....and "inspector" should be charged with filing a false report?

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So we agree, charges should be dropped....and "inspector" should be charged with filing a false report?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#41]
The building inspector said that the homeowner pointed the gun at his chest...it would be interesting if there was a video showing the home owned did no such thing.   If that were the case, the inspector could be charged with filing a false report.

I have found that 98% of the time, whenever someone unexpected shows up at my front door, it is NOT for my benefit.  Having learned that from all my previous interactions at the front door, I almost never answer the front door to unexpected people.  It seems that unexpected people want to sell me something (they want my money), they are a political group (I'm not interested), they want me to donate (they want my money), convert me to their religion (I'm not interested), or join their cause (I'm not interested, AND they want my money).  Seems to be two major outcomes...they want my money, or I'm not interested.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#42]
The fuck?

I've answered my door with a loaded gun more than once. If you feel menaced by me standing in my legal residence and holding a firearm, don't knock on my door at night.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sounds good to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good to me.

So, uh, we charge the inspector for making a false report when there is no proof the report is false?  This makes me dizzy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So, uh, we charge the inspector for making a false report when there is no proof the report is false?  This makes me dizzy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good to me.

Evidence doesn't matter as long as the outcome is considered to be favorable....didn't you know?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.  I no longer give .gov the benefit of the doubt.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't answer the door then.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Answering the door in Alabama with a gun in my hand is my right.  My castle my rules and they also concur with state law. You are on my property when you leave the street and cross the property line and in this state I can carry a gun on any part of my property, concealed or not, WITHOUT a permit.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And in Alabama pointing it at someone you can be charged with Menacing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Evidence doesn't matter as long as the outcome is considered to be favorable....didn't you know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good to me.

I'm slow on the uptake. But, just fast enough to stay one stop ahead of the FEMA Train.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why you're supposed to hold it behind your back. Fucking amateurs, I swear.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

What would happen if I opened the door with no clothes on?  That could be pretty menacing too.  What a fucked up world we live in.

View Quote

well if it were girl scouts selling cookies or shanana casing your house

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top