Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Must've sucked to be in Spain at a time where you had two sides to choose from:  The commies run by the Soviets or the fascists run by the Nazis.  I mean, what the fuck.  Any other choice and both sides would kill you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Spain.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spanish Civil War
View Quote

My guess as well
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know jack shit about this war, but after a quick read I find it fascinating that the republicans were the same as our extreme left today; young, stupid, and/or poor.
View Quote

Forget the "extreme left" ; the ordinary American liberal democrat has bee brainwashed by the likes of NPR to idolize the Spanish republicans (Marxists/anarchists) - bringing up only Hemingway' "romantic" involvement while covering up the atrocities those leftist fucks & soviet Marxists inflicted on Spain.  

And yes - the other side was indeed assisted by Hitler.  NPR always mentions that too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Must've sucked to be in Spain at a time where you had two sides to choose from:  The commies run by the Soviets or the fascists run by the Nazis.  I mean, what the fuck.  Any other choice and both sides would kill you.
View Quote

They were incredibly lucky the fascists won the war. If they hadn't when WWII got rolling it would have finished off what little was left of Spain.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
#BLM protests?
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
#BLM protests?

Lol

Trump rallies.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Spanish Civil War
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That was my guess.

I'd not heard of the SCW
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My first guess is Spanish Civil war. But the dead children make me think it was the Genocide of the Armenians after WWI by the Turks

That was my guess.

I'd not heard of the SCW

The SCW was Spring Traning for the Germans and Russians prior to WWII.

Several German aces got their first kills in Spain.

TC
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The leftists ate their own.

The right was under Franco. He wasn't run by the Nazis or fascists. They helped him. He chose to be neutral through WW2, and his government continued up until the 70s.

I think this is much like the Allende vs Pinochet thing in Chili. The left controls the narrative so Pinochet was a bloody dictator. Except he wasn't as bloody as the guy they wanted, and he in fact saved his country.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The right was under Franco. He wasn't run by the Nazis or fascists. They helped him. He chose to be neutral through WW2, and his government continued up until the 70s.

I think this is much like the Allende vs Pinochet thing in Chili. The left controls the narrative so Pinochet was a bloody dictator. Except he wasn't as bloody as the guy they wanted, and he in fact saved his country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More or less, yes.

Plus he took a bunch of communists on helicopter rides.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Spanish Civil War
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I laughed out loud in Pans Labyrinth when the guy fighting the commies was the big bad villain.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Franco had very close ties to Germany.  Germans were free to come and go.  

But he was smart enough to know that siding with them in a shooting war was suicide.

After the war Franco rounded up the commies and shot them by the thousands.

I have a Russian Mosin rifle that was in Spain for that excitement.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This. The nun is the clencher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spanish Civil War

This. The nun is the clencher.

Yep, plus the architecture.

Those Leftists were burning churches and killing anyone not on their side. I can't call Franco a bad guy, seeing what he ended and prevented from getting much worse.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Nationalists were by no means predominantly fascist, and the Nazis did not run the show.

You had those parts of military that opposed the Left (often not based on ideology, but just based on what the Left was doing), you had the Carlists (conservative Catholics who also disagreed with the regal succession before the Republic came into being), other conservative groups, and then the quasi-fascist groups like the Falange. While the Falange was not true Fascism, it didn't matter much in the end as Franco purged the true believers from the leadership, leaving it a hollow shell. Interestingly, the Muslims all sided with the Nationalists, as they felt it was better to fight for the prophet Issa than in the name of atheism.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Spanish, possible Guernica
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Turks cleaning house on Armenians?
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#20]
The Catholics had their own military forces, too.  They had no love for the commies.  Franco was much nicer toward them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My first guess is Spanish Civil war. But the dead children make me think it was the Genocide of the Armenians after WWI by the Turks
View Quote

The body count is about half what you'd see in the typical Armenian Genocide pictures.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Spanish Civil War
View Quote

This. I think the first was taken in Barcelona.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#23]
The first couple of photos give it away.

My mother survived the war.  Very scary stories from her childhood…the commies dragging the family out of the house looking for guns and a printing press my grandfather had.  Never found it, but they slapped him around and shot up the Icons on the exterior of the house……I saw the riddled house in the early '80's.  Gramps never fixed it.  
Priests wore plain clothed for the most part to avoid being murdered.  Finding shelter in the faithful's homes.
My aunt, her elder sister recalled a Stuka crashed nearby their home, so everyone in the town ran out to help the pilot….one very pissed off German crawled out, refusing help from anyone.
My uncle Paco fought as a Loyalist, his brother on the other side.  After the war, he found out he and his bro was in two of the same battles.  
Funny and sad now…the country is pretty much a commie fest now.

PS a good movie, for those that hate reading, is There Be Dragons.  It's the story of Opus Dei and is an accurate depiction of the war.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Forget the "extreme left" ; the ordinary American liberal democrat has bee brainwashed by the likes of NPR to idolize the Spanish republicans (Marxists/anarchists) - bringing up only Hemingway' "romantic" involvement while covering up the atrocities those leftist fucks & soviet Marxists inflicted on Spain.  

And yes - the other side was indeed assisted by Hitler.  NPR always mentions that too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know jack shit about this war, but after a quick read I find it fascinating that the republicans were the same as our extreme left today; young, stupid, and/or poor.

You are totally bonkers.  I would argue that "the average liberal democrat" knows virtually nothing about the Spanish Civil War.

Both sides committed atrocities during that horrible war.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't know what they are from but that first picture is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Seriously?

There was this iconic photo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Falling_Soldier

Hemingway wrote about it in For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Orwell was in it and it caused him to turn against Stalinism.

A pretty good movie, IIRC English, was made about it in the '90s. But from the commie perspective, of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my guess.

I'd not heard of the SCW

Seriously?

There was this iconic photo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Falling_Soldier

Hemingway wrote about it in For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Orwell was in it and it caused him to turn against Stalinism.

A pretty good movie, IIRC English, was made about it in the '90s. But from the commie perspective, of course.

I'm an American history buff. I missed out on world history due to going to vocational school.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#27]
My sister in law is Spanish, and her family was on the Nationalist side. They still don't like Commies.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Spanish Civil War
View Quote

My vote
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I had distant relatives fight and die in that conflict on the Nationalist side.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Spanish Civil War by Hugh Thomas is considered an even handed telling of the history.  It is long though.  When I read it, I kept a scratchpad of notes just so I could keep track of all the groups and leaders involved.  For Whom the Bell Tolls is a good fictional account of the war from the International Brigade perspective by Ernest Hemingway.
View Quote

I've been meaning to learn more about this, any other good books?
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My sister in law is Spanish, and her family was on the Nationalist side. They still don't like Commies.
View Quote

they must be outraged at the changes in that country, especially the removals of anything Franco related, like the statues they've taken down.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I know this was wasn't common knowledge. I don't think the Spanish ever fully recovered, or ever will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
what's the story behind that nun?

The Republicans desecrated Catholic graves and pulled the bodies from the caskets.

It should also be noted "Republicans" in this case were commies.

for those who don't know.

I left it on purpose to out the idiots.

I know this was wasn't common knowledge. I don't think the Spanish ever fully recovered, or ever will.

Spain never recovered from an unfavorable balance of trade in the 15th Century.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a Remington mosin with scw markings. Most likely went there with American volunteers.
View Quote

Sitting behind me I have a nice model of a Stuka dive bomber.

It went there with German volunteers.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some days, you take a side.

Other days, "Expend all remaining on my position."
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#37]
The next American Civil War. Starts late 2016.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Spanish Civil War
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The next American Civil War. Starts late 2016.
View Quote

You mean war of liberal aggression.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Spanish Civil War
View Quote

Beat.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I respect those who answer "Spanish civil war",
Yet the rifle on the young mans shoulder looks like a Japanese Arisaka" to me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably a Mexican Arisaka sent to Spain, if that's what it is.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Spanish civil war.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#45]
FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS...ERNEST HEMINGWAY
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Hmm, Spanish 1893 Mauser, Spanish girl?, Cathedrals in the background, and all of the pictures below. I am guessing some Nationalists and some Republicans went after each other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fko5fYIBJFU

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#47]
It was trial run for WWII. Germans and Russians were fighting each other by proxy. The German Condor Legion was legendary. First time airplanes were used for mass civilian bombing. Look up Robert Capa. He was the guy who did the Normandy Invasion photos. Got his start in the Spanish Civil War. was also the first time troops were transported by air to a battle area. In the book "The Dirty Dozen" the main character was veteran on the SCW. It was truly a brutal killing ground.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

Two strikes...
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Spanish Civil War
View Quote

That would be my guess, or maybe somewhere in the balkans/eastern europe during WW 2.  Like romania or hungary.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Spanish Civil War
View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top