Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2016 12:54:11 AM EDT
Need to purchase a bed or something, don't really want too because I hate having shit that is a pia to move. Cots long term? Other options?
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:56:08 AM EDT
[#1]
What are you sleeping on now?

You can pick up a nice, used, mattress for free.  Pick one up, use it for as long as you need, dump it and repeat in the next town.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you sleeping on now?
View Quote

A couch or a floor. Moved recently.

I can buy a new bed. That's not the issue. I would not buy a used mattress. Or clothes. Or toothbrush.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:56:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I spent the better part of a year sleeping on my sea chest with a wool blanket on it for padding.

I wouldn't recommend it.  But it can be done.

I'd buy a hammock if you're really concerned about space, stuff, and cost.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:57:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Cots are comfortable to me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I slept on a cot as my only bed for a while back in the day, apartment was too small for a real bed.

Just don't expect to get too much play with the ladies.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:00:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Friend has one of these memory foam single mattresses in his camper, it is freaking awesome.

You can lay it literally anywhere and get a great night's sleep.

I could go long term on one.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Long term cot in the desert.......

Fucked my back and shoulders up, for good.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:02:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Air mattress?
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:06:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Air mattress?
View Quote

Can't do that, hate them.

Space is certainly a problem, but a bigger problem is being the owner of something that is large an a pain to move.

I guess I could just buy a twin or something. My feet will hang off but whatever
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:19:29 AM EDT
[#10]
id rather sleep on the floor than on a cot
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:21:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I slept on a cot for a year in Afghanistan. I actually kinda liked it.

If you get one that doesn't suck then go for it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Futon.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:26:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I've slept on a cot for a couple months.  If you get a memory foam topper for it loke the one pictured above, it would probably be pretty comfortable.  I'd rather sleep in a hammock though.  Check out some of the camping hammocks.  They will ball up to the size of a 32oz Gatorade bottle and you can get flat enough to be comfortable even if you are a stomach or side sleeper like me.  Amazon.com has a bunch for under $25.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Futon.
View Quote

He sounds like the perfect customer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I hate cots.  Have to put a pillow or a duffel bag under my knees or my back gets all kinds of jacked up
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:36:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I did just fine on a cot for 9 months. I don't understand how an inflatable is too big when it can be deflated to take up less space than a cot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:38:51 AM EDT
[#17]
What you sleep on now, will probably affect how your spine feels when you're old.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:40:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I did just fine on a cot for 9 months. I don't understand how an inflatable is too big when it can be deflated to take up less space than a cot.
View Quote

Never said anything regarding inflatable being too big, just can't get comfortable on them. Would rather sleep on a floor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#19]
A cot is used for a few days or weeks a mattress is used for months to year's.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What you sleep on now, will probably affect how your spine feels when you're old.
View Quote

I believe it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:42:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Define 'long term'.

Even a twin with no box spring, just tossed on the floor, will be more comfortable, especially if you do this stuff called 'get laid'.

That said, I slept on a old wood and canvas WW2-era collapsing cot for a while when I first moved out. With a decent pad, it wasn't bad at all. Just limiting.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:45:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the Cabela's XL cot.  Throw a 3" Thermarest pad on it and enjoy the sleep.  This was our emergency beds where I worked.  I don't know how well they'd work long term, but I spent several nights on them and was OK.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:45:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Space is certainly a problem, but a bigger problem is being the owner of something that is large an a pain to move.

I guess I could just buy a twin or something. My feet will hang off but whatever
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Air mattress?

Super firm extra long twin was the best mattress I've ever had - was long enough for me, I'm 6'4".

I have an XL SlumberJack cot I use when we go to Baja - it's ok for a couple of nights but after that my back complains due to the sag mid-span.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:49:32 AM EDT
[#24]
If you want to get laid, you're going to need a mattress, or at least a sofa.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:52:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I see you've never had sexy time in a hammock before.

Just anchor it well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:54:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Friend has one of these memory foam single mattresses in his camper, it is freaking awesome.

You can lay it literally anywhere and get a great night's sleep.

I could go long term on one.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh206/graham1775/graham1775089/7179881_zpsdvwctejb.jpg
View Quote

Get a topper at least(2 inch thick). Comfy! Roll it up and bring it camping. Comfy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:56:31 AM EDT
[#27]
OP's soon to be spine

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't know if they're hard to find, or how much they cost, but I got wonderful sleep on those steel-spring beds they use in boot camp and at some long-term camps.  Shitty 3" mattress, but I slept like a baby.  It's a bit more stout than a cot.

ETA: I only buy extra-firm mattresses without pillow tops, so I actually prefer firmer beds.  I really hate soft, billowy, pillow-top mattresses.  Take that into consideration.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:53:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Ive spent accumulative years sleeping on cots in the military.  I would only suggest it if you are under 6' and have a memory foam mattress as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:19:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Ikea couches are very choice for sleep.

Have one in my office and have spent many nights sleeping on it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:20:23 AM EDT
[#31]
xl cot with cot pad for short term( year or so) but I'm guessing your old or have no game because your not going to get laid on a cot( really it will break).
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:20:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
xl cot with cot pad for short term( year or so) but I'm guessing your old or have no game because your not going to get laid on a cot( really it will break).
View Quote

If 25 is the new 50 then yes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:26:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Futon.
View Quote
Oh that's smart, give a single guy an 800 pound taco filled with hatred.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:35:40 AM EDT
[#34]
The deal regarding not wanting something large is that I may be moving it soon. I have a small car, Subaru Crosstrek. Just want something to get me through the next bit, thinking I should just get a twin...tie to to my hood or something.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I guess these are out of production, as I can't even find a website for the company.

But. when I was young and broke, this was my bed for a while (in my $190/month bug infested apartment).

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I like the Cabela's XL cot.  Throw a 3" Thermarest pad on it and enjoy the sleep.  This was our emergency beds where I worked.  I don't know how well they'd work long term, but I spent several nights on them and was OK.
View Quote

Yep, I've slept on one for a couple of days and it was pretty comfortable.  Cabela's cot
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
id rather sleep on the floor than on a cot
View Quote

Yep.   I slept on the floor for a year at college to avoid having to lug a bed around.   No long term effects that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:57:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just anchor it well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just anchor it well.

I fucked plenty of women right on the floor.   Just lay a blanket and some pillows down to prevent rug burn
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#40]
If it works for you/your back, then it works.  Just keep in mind that it might not work for long though - I used to sleep fine on rocks, cots, floors, cars, cargo nets, ... Now?  Not so much.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Long time ago, I bought a king-sized waterbed (back when they were cool).  Killed my back.  I ended up sleeping on a cot set up next to the bed for at least a year, maybe two.  To this day I sleep better on a cot than anything else.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a nice one for camping and hunting camp. A little to stiff for long term, but a nice foam pad would fix that.

If you have an IKEA near you they have some pretty cool bed set ups that are easy to store, and put together.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:42:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Op is single and still a virgin
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:00:31 AM EDT
[#45]
After divorce and moving into a crap situation, I grabbed an unused lo pro twin mattress from a trundle bed. Put it on floor at night and folded in closet during the day. Got a pillow and sheets. More comfortable than an Aerobed. Sucks to live like a dog though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:05:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Long term cot in the desert.......

Fucked my back and shoulders up, for good.
View Quote

Same experience here. Sleeping on a cot for longer than a weeks camping excursion is a stupid ass way to get back problems.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:08:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Hammock....A properly slung hammock is very comfortable and can be put-up & taken-down to free-up space.

Think a camping hammock like a ENO, not the rope Hatteras kind.  

I used a Aerobed for a time....It was comfortable.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Long twin folding bed frame, get a good foam mattress and you'll do fine!

Frame

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#49]
you do know that if you buy something like that, at most stores they will deliver and set it up to your liking......

when you get ready to move..
sell it.. make the buyers move it out.

repeat as necessary.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Don't do long term on an aluminum cot. It will slowly cave in. I'm currently sleeping in a camping hammock using an outdoor hammock stand/frame indoors.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top