Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/7/2016 12:11:31 PM EDT
Cliffnotes: Revenue Collection Officer in Fairfax VA would go to parking lots of inspection stations while people were waiting to have their vehicles inspected. Would cite people whose inspections expired, while waiting in line to get them inspected.

WaPo

The story of Bruce Redwine and the Chantilly Service Center made people mad. For years, he and other auto shop owners watched with outrage as a Fairfax County parking enforcement officer ticketed cars that were awaiting state inspection or repair. One shop owner estimated his customers had been hit with $60,000 worth of fines and fees for expired inspection stickers or tags over six years. Redwine got so angry he snatched one ticket out of the parking officer’s hand, only to be charged with felony assault on a police officer.

State Del. James M. LeMunyon (R-Fairfax) investigated the situation after reading about it in The Washington Post in October. He introduced a bill in December to prohibit ticketing cars awaiting state inspection, and it passed both chambers of the Virginia General Assembly unanimously.

In one episode in October 2014, Hogue ticketed one of Redwine’s customers’ cars even though he had moved the car into his garage.

View Quote

She seems like a winner and an overall pleasant person.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Land of the fee.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Cathy Bates is a meter maid now?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Expired is expired.

Good shoot ticket.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I just saw her the other day!  She is allowed to drive an unmarked car with blue lights and was giving an ass chewing to some guy by his parked car on the shoulder of the road.  Not a police officer, she's an auxillary.  County PD doesn't allow them to be armed(except they have access to a shotgun in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Land of the fee.
View Quote

Well at least the Virginia Legislature did at least one thing right this session. California and NY must be jealous that their elected oppressors have not done nearly as much for them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
People's Republic of NoVa local government more concerned with revenue generation than people's welfare?  Shocking.  Absolutely shocking.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just saw her the other day!  She is allowed to drive an unmarked car with blue lights and was giving an ass chewing to some guy by his parked car on the shoulder of the road.  Not a police officer, she's an auxillary.  County PD doesn't allow them to be armed(except they have access to a shotgun in the vehicle.
View Quote

The fact that she is still employed or whatever speaks volumes about her bosses.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
People's Republic of NoVa local government more concerned with revenue generation than people's welfare?  Shocking.  Absolutely shocking.
View Quote

What else if FFXPD going to do other than write tickets? Isn't that their entire charter?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This doesn't surprise me at all.  I would bet she's one of those types that likes the "authority" such a position gives her.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The fact that she is still employed or whatever speaks volumes about her bosses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is Fairfax County, or as I call it, "South Bethesda".
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What else if FFXPD going to do other than write tickets? Isn't that their entire charter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She is auxillary. The regular officers typically write 2 tickets and then find the nearest church parking lot with wifi for the rest of shift.  1400 attitudes and a helicopter about sums it up.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Guilty
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Expired is expired.

Good shoot ticket.
View Quote

Inspections are fucking bullshit.  And plenty here defend them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Watch Awful Terry veto the legislation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Expired is expired.

Good shoot ticket.
View Quote

You don't read so well.

She was ticketing people in the parking lot of the garage that they were in line to get the inspection done.  She even went INSIDE the garage as one was being inspected and wrote a ticket.  There's a level of stupidity here.  If they are actually at the facility to get the annual inspection done, and you enter the facility while it's being done....it's not a good ticket.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#16]
One would think you don’t need to legislate common sense,” said Dickson Young, Redwine’s attorney who won his acquittal. “If the Fairfax police had exercised some common sense, legislation wouldn’t have been necessary.
View Quote

Fairtax, not Fairfax.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#17]

In NC once you leave the public road you are not required to be inspected or licensed. What she did would

be illegal.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#18]
A face that could launch a 1,000...........

shits
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#19]
worthless cunts.

Txl
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#20]
They should have unanimously passed a bill to fire her and dispute any unemployment claims.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Why is she still employed? Every apple in the barrel is bad and it's time to cut down the tree.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#22]
IMO we need an amendment to the Constitution giving people the Right not to have to deal with smog checks, tabs, registration fees, and all the other car bullshit States do to people purely for revenue generation. The shit doesn't DO anything, other that provide assholes with an excuse to ticket people.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL fucking NOVA.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Expired is expired.

Good shoot ticket.
View Quote

Is this a game of spot the cop?

People fixing the problem isn't a place to extract their hard earned money from them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Expired is expired.

Good shoot ticket.

Amazing isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Why not fire the worthless bitch?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They should have unanimously passed a bill to fire her and dispute any unemployment claims.
View Quote

And refund any monies collected through her incompetent rein.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Expired is expired.

Good shoot ticket.
View Quote

Let's say a person has had their car broken down for an extended period of time...long enough for the inspection to expire while the car was out of service. The day he gets the car running, he goes to get it inspected...only to have this cow give him a ticket while he's waiting in line.

Would that be a "good ticket" to you?

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why not fire the worthless bitch?
View Quote

Because she was collecting money for the king, why would she be fired?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#30]
The legislature only partially did the right thing.  They should have ditched the inspection requirement entirely, because it is 100% bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#31]
LOL....Fairfax is just trying to make up the revenue that they have to pay into the State General Fund that they never get back.

The only good thing that can be said of NoVA is that they do shit golden eggs state tax wise.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, the primary intent of the law was to make revenue anyway......
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In NC once you leave the public road you are not required to be inspected or licensed. What she did would

be illegal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

be illegal.

According to the article, the property owners (who the inspection station leased from) gave the police permission to come on their property because of a problem with untagged or abandoned cars at some nearby condos they also owned. The lazy ass revenue officers targeted the inspection station.

Or at least, I think that is what this says. It is very poorly written.

“Cool,” said Redwine, working as usual in his shop in the Mariah Business Center off Route 28 Wednesday afternoon. “Absolutely it’s a good thing. But most people waiting for inspections weren’t a target. Here, people were targeted by the condo association, which was using the Fairfax parking police as their agent. It’s not so much the police were targeting as the [condominium management],” he said, using a more colorful adjective for the association which oversees the industrial park on Sullyfield Circle.

There was not much dispute that cars with expired tags or registration were being ticketed in Mariah, largely because Mariah’s property management firm had provided Fairfax police with a letter in 2009 specifically granting police permission to enforce county traffic, parking and towing ordinances on the private property. The auto shop operators all rent from owners of individual units in the industrial park, and their owners claimed to be powerless to revoke or change the police letter because they weren’t on the condo board of directors. J.R. Motz, the park’s property manager for Commercial Condominium Management, declined to answer questions about the letter or the condo board.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks exactly like the LEO that lives next door to me . . . mine is a crime scene investigator and probably outweighs this one by thirty pounds.

She does have a pretty hot "wife" however.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#35]
When I came back one time from a tour overseas, I literally got to the states, got my leave papers at the base, got in my car and drove home. When I got into West Virginia I had a county sheriff pull me over for an expired inspection sticker (It had expired the month before). I showed him my leave papers, explained that I had been stationed overseas for nearly a year and told him I planned on having the inspection done that day or the next.  He didn't give a shit. Still gave me the ticket. That stung, and still stings to this day.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Next time you see her, you need to run up to her and tell her she can't legally pull that shit anymore.  She already knows of course.  Just remind her (since she didn't seem to get it the 1st time around).

Tell her you will call the state police on her if you catch her breaking the law.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cathy Bates is a meter maid now?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Next time you see her, you need to run up to her and tell her she can't legally pull that shit anymore.  She already knows of course.  Just remind her (since she didn't seem to get it the 1st time around).

Tell her you will call the state police on her if you catch her breaking the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw her from my cruiser
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#39]
How long has she been on the job?

I once got a parking ticket in Fairfax.  I lived on the opposite side of the state and [almost] never go to Fairfax, except my Wrangler was parked in a doctor's private parking lot that weekend - I was ice climbing with the doctor up north.  The ticket, with my plate #, was written up ... for a BMW sedan.  I was out of the country when I got the ticket, and telephoned Fairfax and got the ticket dropped.  It always struck me as odd, and astronomical odds against it being a mere plate transcription error.  I always suspected they were running a ticket mill, and couldn't keep all of their ticket writing straight.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Guilty.  Would not hit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've expanded their portfolio:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2015/01/27/fairfax-swat-team-raids-high-stakes-great-falls-poker-game-seizes-cash-terrifies-players/
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The legislature only partially did the right thing.  They should have ditched the inspection requirement entirely, because it is 100% bullshit.
View Quote

I once had all the lugs on one wheel loosen about three miles after getting my Jeep inspected.  That first big hill on I-81N out of Blacksburg, yeah, that's not a fun place to nearly lose a wheel.  I don't know how often this happens, but I suspect such forgetfulness has happened to others.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When I came back one time from a tour overseas, I literally got to the states, got my leave papers at the base, got in my car and drove home. When I got into West Virginia I had a county sheriff pull me over for an expired inspection sticker (It had expired the month before). I showed him my leave papers, explained that I had been stationed overseas for nearly a year and told him I planned on having the inspection done that day or the next.  He didn't give a shit. Still gave me the ticket. That stung, and still stings to this day.
View Quote

You received the thanks of a grateful nation that day...
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Should have called the elected sheriff and told him your story or taken the ticket to court and let a judge hear your story.  Still sucks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I've had problems with VA inspections in the past.
GF just had it with her little GTI.

Shop owner called and said she failed due to headlight adjustment and that it was $45 to fix. She refused and showed up within 5 mins (was across the street at grocery).
When she arrived and was told they did the service without her consent she said she wouldn't pay it.
To which the guy replied, "well what would you be willing to pay?"
After a moment of silence in dis-belief, he nervously said that it's ok, don't worry about paying.

I get the feeling this scam opens the doors up to a lot of this sort of thing and apparently abuses by the sanctioning-end as well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've expanded their portfolio:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2015/01/27/fairfax-swat-team-raids-high-stakes-great-falls-poker-game-seizes-cash-terrifies-players/

Two established poker pros were at the Great Falls table and another was hosting the game, taking a roughly 1.5 percent cut from the buy-ins to pay for two dealers and two assistants to make coffee runs or give massages to the players. “Taking a cut” is what elevates a poker game, in the minds of the Fairfax police, into a criminal enterprise.

The $150,000 shouldn't have been a problem.  Legally, it's above any charge.  It's the cut that's the problem.  The charges against the players are BS, and the DA knows it.  Charges against the house, however, would be legit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Should have fought that one in court.  You have 10 days to get it inspected in this case.

Residents who have been out of the State of West Virginia for over thirty (30) days continuously, and their current certificate of inspection has expired while out of state, they have ten (10) days to obtain a current certificate of inspection upon their return.

WV State Police
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Expired is expired.

Good shoot ticket.

My father who was a police officer never got the family cars inspected. When he
would get pulled over he would tell the cops inspection were BS and nothing more then
a money grab by the state.

I just found out that the shit hole known as NYS requires trailers to be inspected annually.
So my friends little 5x8 trailer with no brakes (not required) has to be inspected every year.
FNYS and FAC
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've had problems with VA inspections in the past.
GF just had it with her little GTI.

Shop owner called and said she failed due to headlight adjustment and that it was $45 to fix. She refused and showed up within 5 mins (was across the street at grocery).
When she arrived and was told they did the service without her consent she said she wouldn't pay it.
To which the guy replied, "well what would you be willing to pay?"
After a moment of silence in dis-belief, he nervously said that it's ok, don't worry about paying.

I get the feeling this scam opens the doors up to a lot of this sort of thing and apparently abuses by the sanctioning-end as well.
View Quote

Oh, yeah.  Some locales are notorious for stuff like this.  A coworker failed because they said his defrost/defog wasn't working properly, no AC operating while in windshield defog mode.  Hell, some cars don't even have AC, my Wrangler didn't.  Because this shop, a Subaru place, failed him on it, he had to get it fixed ... $750 to replace the entire center ECS console.  Almost all of my coworkers that got their cars inspected in their town got taken for rides like this.  Some eventually started bringing their cars to my town for inspection.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I'm gonna drop your screen name if I get pulled over in that general vicinity.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top