Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/14/2016 9:29:52 PM EDT
In NC we're required to either use a Permit to Purchase a Pistol (PPP) or use a Concealed Carry permit to purchase a pistol. For the PPP they do a background check, including mental health, and then issue your permits. I have used PPP'S for 30 years in NC, they work fine. Until this week....

I went to purchase a pistol, whipped out my PPP, filled the 4473 out and expected to walk out with my pistol. Then the counter guy said "I have to do a NIC check. I told him he was wrong,  he said they always do one. I again explained he was wrong even though they "always" do one. It was no use trying to explain and I knew this.

The next day I talked to one of the owners. I asked why they did a NIC even though all that was needed was the PPP or CCW. He said "it's federal law", I said nope. Then I proceeded to show him the NC Firearm laws I had printed out, dated Dec 15th 2015. He read the section I pointed out stating the PPP or the CCW were acceptable alternative to a NIC check. He then told me that could be an old law, yeah, 4 months ago!!!! But that it may have changed. I then asked him to read the instructions for the 4473, specifically box 23, as it states the same thing. I could see wheels turning, he then stated he needed to call the ATF. About 10 minutes later he comes back and says "give him the pistol, he's right". Then he told everyone working that the new policy was no NIC check if they had a PPP or CCW

It just goes to show that not even the gun stores know, or even read I, guess, the Federal and State laws. Most people wouldn't raise a stink, they figure buying a gun is a privilege, not a right I guess and don't want to fight for their rights, not me!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
You have to have a permit to buy a pistol?

That sucks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That sucks.
View Quote

Legacy of Jim Crow...Seriously!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#4]
It's an old Jim Crowe law. White? You got a permit easily. Black? Tough luck.

Funny thing is liberals now love it. There was a bill to remove the requirement a year two ago, and the Dems went ballistic.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Very good work

And another reason why the NICS numbers are undercounting gun sales.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That sucks.
View Quote

Yep, it's a pain in the ass now! Used to be it wasn't too bad but now the process takes months due to the rus of people busing pistols. They let you buy multiple permits for $5 each, good for 5 years.

I figure ok, I'll put up with that bullshit because i have no choice but I'm not putting up with extra bullshit just because someone doesn't know the law.There was a lot of derp at that store, I'm surprised as they've been in business for a little over a year.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep, it's a pain in the ass now! Used to be it wasn't too bad but now the process takes months due to the rus of people busing pistols. They let you buy multiple permits for $5 each, good for 5 years.

I figure ok, I'll put up with that bullshit because i have no choice but I'm not putting up with extra bullshit just because someone doesn't know the law.There was a lot of derp at that store, I'm surprised as they've been in business for a little over a year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.

My reaction would have been to them let them know that I not anyone I knew would buy a gun from them ever again since I had to educate THEM on gun laws.....since it is what they do professionally and it makes them look bad to not know the law or even read the forms they use.

I do not suffer fool gun shop owners when they don't k or the law or cower in fear when the law is on their side.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My reaction would have been to them let them know that I not anyone I knew would buy a gun from them ever again since I had to educate THEM on gun laws.....since it is what they do professionally and it makes them look bad to not know the law or even read the forms they use.

I do not suffer fool gun shop owners when they don't k or the law or cower in fear when the law is on their side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.

I thought of that....but athe least he listened to me. Apparently a former manager came up with that rule and nobody ever questioned it. But you're right, if you're gonna sell something know the rules! They were doing a couple of other things wrong too, so I changed a couple of their policies
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That sucks.
View Quote

If you like your background check you can keep your background check.

In Nebraska you get the permit if you can pass the standard NICS background check as the police run the exact same check.  If background check laws are going to exist we might as well keep around a way to circumvent them...
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
PPP are never going away unfortunately because the sherrifs office loves the money too much.  Just another reason for me to move.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In Nebraska you get the permit if you can pass the standard NICS background check as the police run the exact same check.  If background check laws are going to exist we might as well keep around a way to circumvent them...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.

No, this isn't a way around the NIC. The sheriff does a NIC when you apply for the PPP. What I did was to only educate someone that should have known better. We all know the derp that occurs in a gun store. I personally can't stand it. And I'll be damned if I'll put up with incompetent people or Dirk Tacticool filling someone's head full of shit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
[Vermont resident]  What is this "permit you speak of? [/Vermont resident]

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm, what store?  Or at least a general location (county?).
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's also been the same price since it was started. Back then the price of the permit was equal to the price of some firearms. Gun control is racist
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny thing is liberals now love it. There was a bill to remove the requirement a year two ago, and the Dems went ballistic.

Semper Fi

It's also been the same price since it was started. Back then the price of the permit was equal to the price of some firearms. Gun control is racist

At least in NC it is! Isn't it funny how the libs are willing to overlook racism to control guns? Fucking hypocritical pieces of shit
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.

Yup. And the NC Sheriffs' Association fought the law's repeal tooth and nail (recent attempt to remove the PPP from the books) because "mah revenue!"

The stupid law needs to go.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup.  I refused to buy a pistol in the 3 years I lived there.  My own sort of protest I guess, even though I had CCW.  There's more than a few archaic/stupid laws in that state.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Iowa has the Permit to Acquire / Carry Permit requirement too.  Sounds about the same as our law.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

(North Carolina resident) "Thanks for supporting Bernie Sanders as your US Senator"
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Semper Fi
View Quote

Sheriffs went crazy too.  Didn't want to lose a sweet revenue stream I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't brag about living in the state that Berns.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.

Alabama doesn't even have that nonsense.  Flash your pistol permit, pay your money and you're out the door.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#25]
My Dad and stepmom are going through this bullshit process now.

It's so silly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yup.  I refused to buy a pistol in the 3 years I lived there.  My own sort of protest I guess, even though I had CCW.  There's more than a few archaic/stupid laws in that state.
View Quote

I refuse to not refuse to buy pistols here.  Wait....what?

I buy pistols here with my CCW permit and it is no problem at all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or, you could do what OP did and educate them in a positive, effective manner.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#28]
How does a FTF pistol sale between private parties go in N.C..

I lived there for several years and was never clear on this.

Heard all kinds of differing explanations
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#29]
So, why don't you have a CWP to avoid all of that?

Here in Better Carolina it's NICS or CWP, and anyone that's smart has their CWP...
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Mills Fleet Farm does the same thing, company wide as I understand it. Buy a gun, show a permit, and they call you in anyway.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#32]
You are absolutely correct as far as the laws go. And for those NC people the next time someone wants to do a NIC, and you have your PPP or CCW, point out box 23 on the 4473, then tell them to read the instructions for that box. It specifically states what you need, and you don't need another NIC.

As far as calling bs, I don't want to name the store because I fixed the problem.  So I don't feel a need to bad mouth them. Apparently for the last year or so nobody else figured it out, and I'm sure that included lots of people. But, only those with a PPP, those with a CCW didn't get the NIC check....go figure. Me, I don't feel a need to CCW. I know my limitations and I think I'm better off without one. I don't open carry either, unless I'm hunting, going hunting or returning from hunting. I have lots of friends, most, that carry. I don't have anything against it, it's just not for me. I have studied martial arts for years, did my time in the Corps, know and understand situational awareness, so I feel ok with my decision.  But, I thoroughly stand for my 2A rights and will defend them accordingly. Just hope everyone else does too....
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.

That bastard.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#34]
We used to have to get a "PPP" here in Missouri. Glad they did away with that BS.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

(North Carolina resident) "Thanks for supporting Bernie Sanders as your US Senator"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's true, every single resident of Vermont is a flea infested hippie commie Bern supporter

Grow the fuck up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#36]
You can buy a permit that's good for five years.  Commit a crime, go to prison for two years, get out and use the permit to buy a gun (you can use one on a long gun too) without a current background check.

You would be lying on the 4473, but felons do lie sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#37]
My lgs ran nics for an 1895 Ludwig Loewe mauser.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Unless they changed to a statewide universal form, some of the county permit applications required an affidavit from several references affirming your perfect character.

No thanks.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That sucks.
View Quote

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/general-information/participation-map

The permit is an internal NICS.

Quite a few states have their own sytem equivalent to NICS.  Some are hybrid, handguns fed, lng guns state.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That sucks.
View Quote

NJ does too. But then again, NJ requires a permit to buy a long gun too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everyone buying a handgun needs either  PPP from the Sheriff or a valid NC CHP it doesn't matter if its a FTF or from a dealer
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You are absolutely correct as far as the laws go. And for those NC people the next time someone wants to do a NIC, and you have your PPP or CCW, point out box 23 on the 4473, then tell them to read the instructions for that box. It specifically states what you need, and you don't need another NIC.

As far as calling bs, I don't want to name the store because I fixed the problem.  So I don't feel a need to bad mouth them. Apparently for the last year or so nobody else figured it out, and I'm sure that included lots of people. But, only those with a PPP, those with a CCW didn't get the NIC check....go figure. Me, I don't feel a need to CCW. I know my limitations and I think I'm better off without one. I don't open carry either, unless I'm hunting, going hunting or returning from hunting. I have lots of friends, most, that carry. I don't have anything against it, it's just not for me. I have studied martial arts for years, did my time in the Corps, know and understand situational awareness, so I feel ok with my decision.  But, I thoroughly stand for my 2A rights and will defend them accordingly. Just hope everyone else does too....
View Quote

Just to clarify in NC there is no such thing as a CCW it is called by Statute a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP).
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My lgs ran nics for an 1895 Ludwig Loewe mauser.
View Quote

People and shops that don't know the law pisses  me off.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
PPP are never going away unfortunately because the sherrifs office loves the money too much.  Just another reason for me to move.
View Quote

How are they making money at $5 a pop?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I hate our permit laws
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Well you were right, but I probably would have just let him run the NICS check after I tried to tell him once. Was this a small store?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need a purchase permit. You even need the PPP if you are receiving one as a gift.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#48]
NC pistol permit process is pretty simple.

Can fill out an application online.  Pay online, then just go to the sheriff's office and pick them up.

You can get 5 at a time so it's like getting 5 NICS checks in advance all at once
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We used to have to get a "PPP" here in Missouri. Glad they did away with that BS.
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#50]
I used to live in NC.   In order to get a PP you had to take someone from your county with you to the SO and have him/her sign off that you were OK.   You could get 5 at a time for $2.00 each.   The way the law was originally written, the person you brought with had to be a lawyer, doctor or some other prominent person.   It was a Jim Crow Law.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top