Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2016 3:17:55 PM EDT
My wife has a friend that is looking to re home a English bull dog.  The dog was a gift for her husband, but he recent changed work and is over the road trucking.

She is honest, and I also know an English bulldog can be a lot of work. He's a good dog but is rambunctious and hard headed which is a common bulldog trait. He's not mean.

She said he is fully house broken supposedly. The dog has only been offered to one other person who already owns one. I was next in line.

I'm only considered because I had a lot of interest in getting one and became knowleable about them. She wants the dog to go to someone who can properly care for it. I squashed the idea because of the cost of one and they can be a lot of work.

What I know about them.

1. Hard headed
2. Breathing trouble is common because of the flat nose
3. No heat. They are so fat, its possible for one to have a heat stroke within 10 minutes in extreme heat or weather.
4. Sensitive skin. The folds and wrinkles can get irritations if not groomed properly
5. She said he sheds a lot
6.more vet bills than an average mutt
7. Different hereditary problems if it came from a poor breeder. Eye sight, joint and bone problems, etc.
8. Sensitive stomach and gag reflex.  Possible diarrhea and vomiting with the wrong food.

So knowing all this, with the price of free, would one be worth the effort?

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]
dogs are dogs bro

as long as its a pittbull it shouldn't kill you

they do snort and gasp for air a lot as they walk

keep their wrinkles clean on their face, wipe with a  baby wipe once a week or something.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not something I would do unless I was already looking for one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I hear they snore like a mofo...
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
hahahahha

one of the most expensive breeds you can own from a veterinary standpoint.

$$$$$$ out of pocket.
a lot.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's not a problem dog.

I meant problem as in mean or a biter. I know a bulldog can tear some shit up. I'm afraid of chewed up shoes and furniture. Stuff like that is expected if you don't teach them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an American bulldog and I can tell you it's a battle to trim his nails and do anything hygiene related.
Drool like crazy and you need to wipe their face after each drink of water. He also has super bad allergies which
the vet said is related to the breed.  

If you can deal with all that, you will have a loveable dog that are so ugly they are actually cute.  
English bulldogs are super expensive so I would be when someone was giving one away.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Money pit.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
All English Bulldogs are problem dogs. It could be anything from heat sensitivity to cherry eye to hip dysplasia, but that dog will cost you lots of money.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Are they one of the breeds that vets recommend the owners learning how to milk their anal gland?

This is what kept me from getting a Basset.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Some of them get severe skin issues and cost you a lot in vet care.  They are neat dogs though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#12]
neighbor bought a bulldog and said it was a total PITA. lots of little "maintenance' issues.  Between food and vets it was running him well over 1000 year to keep it running.

rashes,  respiratory,   butt glands,  stomach issues. Everything....
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#13]
They also fart alot
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Your vet will thank you for footing his or her kid's college tuition bill, but the dog will probably be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
neighbor bought a bulldog and said it was a total PITA. lots of little "maintenance' issues.  Between food and vets it was running him over 1000 year to keep it running.
View Quote

That's what I'm worried about.  I know what I'm getting into.  It's not really fair to call them all a problem like the other guy said,  they are just expensive dogs.

But if it will a laid back lazy dog who will be a good companion, it may be worth it. I just don't know though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

That depends.

Do you like Chinese or Korean cuisine?

I kid, I kid.

And kids are darned tasty too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I had an english bulldog, and they're great dogs.  Mine passed away a little over a year ago, and I miss him like hell every day.  

PROS:
- They are extremely friendly and loving.  They love to be with their owners but are not needy about it.  If you don't want him in your lap they're cool with it and will probably just take a nap somewhere nearby.  
- They do not need extreme amounts of exercise.  A few walks a day is plenty.  They're a lazy man's dog.
- They are loaded with personality, and will crack you up every day.
- Be prepared for a lot of attention from other dog people.  Most people love meeting bulldogs, so you'll meet a lot of new people wanting to stop and talk about your dog.

CONS:
- Typical life span is 8-10 years.
- The do have a lot of health issues, mostly skin & eye related which can make them high maintenance.  If the breeder is good, you'll have less of these.  With mine, I had to clean folds regularly and give daily eye drops.  Someone said once a week on folds earlier, but I had to do it at least every other day.  I didn't find this particularly annoying, as cleaning folds just becomes routine like walking, but if you get behind they will start to smell.
- They have a single coat, so they're sensitive to extreme heat and cold.  On hot humid days they need to be inside.
- I didn't have any drool problems, but some do.
- Contrary to popular belief they are not stupid, but they are extremely stubborn which can make them seem stupid.  Prepare for a battle of wills at times.  Don't expect them to obey every command, and expect to repeat yourself.  That being said, they know the difference between you wanting them to do something (no comply or resist) and when they MUST do something (will comply easily).  
- If you want a dog to go on runs with you or spend all day outside playing fetch, look elsewhere.
- If you have a pool, be careful.  Bulldogs sink.

At first glance the list of cons has more items, but in practice the pros greatly outweigh the cons in my opinion.  Bulldogs aren't for everyone, but if they are for you then you'll have an amazing partner in crime that keep you smiling for his whole life.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't trade my English bully for anything in the world. IMO they are some of the most loving, loyal, stubborn, and funniest dogs in the world.

They eventually grow out of most of the stubbornness once they realize who the alpha is. But if you are looking at it from a $$$ standpoint, let someone else have him. They can be expensive, and the number of people that don't anticipate that only to put them up for adoption later breaks my heart.

Hell, if you are anywhere close to Utah, my wife and I would be happy to have him.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#20]
That dog wouldn't hurt you or your family.

That would require effort.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are they one of the breeds that vets recommend the owners learning how to milk their anal gland?

This is what kept me from getting a Basset.
View Quote

Yes unfortunately they are.  The anal gland is nasty business, and it will get released one way or another.  If you don't do it, they'll rub their tail into the floor until it relieves the pressure which makes for a smelly mess.  I would take mine to the nearest vet and they did it for a few bucks.  It was worth a few bucks not to do it myself.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They also fart alot
View Quote

If you get them the right food, this is mitigated.  On the right food, farts will only be slightly more frequent than any other dog.  On food that doesn't agree with them....clear the room.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Me? Hell no

But if they are your thing then yes.

To me they are loud, messy, and a lot of work.

Still, if it's your thing. Some people like chihuahuas.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#24]
The question are you and your wife ready for a bulldog or any dog for that matter?I am not trying to insult you.
Dogs need a commitment of time money and attention. If your present life situation doesn't allow this. Than now
May not be the time to adopt a bulldog.
Bulldogs can have all the challenges that have been mentioned by others, and then some.With that being said they
are the best breed bar none. Loyal loving to a fault, they will lay down their life for you and yours. They are not aggressive
that trait has been long gone.
Please read up on them, the breed has it's challenges. Snoring will turn into a sound that will put you to sleep.
My wife and I have had the Breed as part of the family for almost twenty years, there is no better breed.
Good luck and hopefully you will be Bulldog parents in the near future.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wouldn't trade my English bully for anything in the world. IMO they are some of the most loving, loyal, stubborn, and funniest dogs in the world.

They eventually grow out of most of the stubbornness once they realize who the alpha is. But if you are looking at it from a $$$ standpoint, let someone else have him. They can be expensive, and the number of people that don't anticipate that only to put them up for adoption later breaks my heart.

Hell, if you are anywhere close to Utah, my wife and I would be happy to have him.
View Quote

This is kinda what happened, her husband always wanted a bulldog, but they didn't know the required extra work. I don't think have the time required to take up with him.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's not a problem dog.

A guy said that to me a few weeks ago.  Right before his English bulldog bit me!

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#27]
nea.

Too many health issues,drooling and funny looking.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's not something I would do unless I was already looking for one.
View Quote

This.

Not long ago my widowed MIL got a full blooded GSD for protection.

Beautiful, well-mannered dog that...required more energy from its master than what my MIL could give.

The MIL offered it free to us and man, I would have loved to have taken it.  But we've got a Schnauzer who likes to be the alpha around other dogs, and a 1/3 acre plot in town.

It would have been more than we could have handled too, so we passed.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#29]
You've done your research OP.  

We have a Frenchton with all those same issues.  He's a sweet guy and  a real snuggle puppy that we love yo death but would not do a short nosed dog again (he's or second) because the the heat issues.  (Florida).  

If our A/C were to take a dump in our house or car our beloved dog is dead.  

The also seem prone to Cushings......

I would not FO on the dog.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have an American bulldog and I can tell you it's a battle to trim his nails and do anything hygiene related.

Drool like crazy and you need to wipe their face after each drink of water. He also has super bad allergies which

the vet said is related to the breed.  

If you can deal with all that, you will have a loveable dog that are so ugly they are actually cute.  

English bulldogs are super expensive so I would be when someone was giving one away.
View Quote
American Bulldog owner here. Kickass dog

As far as the English variety, issues mentioned here should be taken seriously. I would ask for vet records
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
hahahahha

$$$$$$ out of pocket.
a lot.

View Quote

I bought a Pomeranian knowing they run big vet bills. Same day I got him, I got doggy health insurance. Saved me thousands.

OP, call Trupanion and get a quote. I pay $46 a month for total peace of mind.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The question are you and your wife ready for a bulldog or any dog for that matter?I am not trying to insult you.
Dogs need a commitment of time money and attention. If your present life situation doesn't allow this. Than now
May not be the time to adopt a bulldog.
Bulldogs can have all the challenges that have been mentioned by others, and then some.With that being said they
are the best breed bar none. Loyal loving to a fault, they will lay down their life for you and yours. They are not aggressive
that trait has been long gone.
Please read up on them, the breed has it's challenges. Snoring will turn into a sound that will put you to sleep.
My wife and I have had the Breed as part of the family for almost twenty years, there is no better breed.
Good luck and hopefully you will be Bulldog parents in the near future.
View Quote

We have a hairless Chinese crested. He's not the tiny breakable kind. His life is eat, run, play, he will probably aggravate the bulldog wanting to play. I have a large fenced in back yard and I'm home a lot.

I can take care of him, but I don't want an expensive dog if it's going to be a disobedient asshole.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#33]
High maintenance, but low effort.  They "allow" you to serve them.  If you take on a Bully, make sure you also find a Vet that understands them.  Some Vets will automatically treat them like a problem dog right off the bat and spend your money when and where it isn't needed.

They also tend to be OCD.  They Do the Same Thing - Every Time - At the Same Time - Every Single Day!  That is when they aren't taking a nap.

But a Bully will get you to laugh out loud at least once a day.

Our Gus.....

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I hear they snore like a mofo...
View Quote

The Farts are Room-Clearing at Times.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#35]
English Bulldogs are a disgusting breed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Op, it's simply a matter of priorities your Bullie comes first second and third everything else doesn't matter.
Please understand they are expensive but what they give back is well worth the price. As many have started
they are high maintenance. So if that's a game changer let someone else adopt them.
  The make you laugh is a guarantee, they will and will always be your friend and confidant. You and your wife
have to decide to make the commitment. If you do your reward will a family member that is loyal and loving.
 How ever if this breed is not right for you, please help find a good home and family for it. There are breed specific
rescue programs. Check your area so that this Bully is not left in a homeless situation.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Younger pic. Is the underbite OK? I'm reading that it's normal.

More recent

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Prepare to spend a lot of money for your free dog.  It will (not might) have problems. 3 out of 4 get hip dysplasia, so count on that for one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
English Bulldogs are a disgusting breed.
View Quote

Breeders that breed EBs are disgusting. They're bringing misery into this world for monetary gain. The breed has so many health issues that it just needs to be stopped.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
All English Bulldogs are problem dogs. It could be anything from heat sensitivity to cherry eye to hip dysplasia, but that dog will cost you lots of money.
View Quote

This. We have one and have spent around $1,300 this year in cherry eye issues. Its fixed, but that isn't even one of the bigger issues they can have.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Prepare to spend a lot of money for your free dog.  It will (not might) have problems. 3 out of 4 get hip dysplasia, so count on that for one.
View Quote

A lot of vets inexperienced with bulldogs diagnose this incorrectly.  Bulldogs have naturally shallow hips, which is a hip dysplasia indicator in most breeds, but it doesn't mean a bulldog is going to get it.  The first vet I took mine to tried to tell me that my pup was going to get it but he lived 9.5 years and never once had issues.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#42]

If you understand the potential vet bills, I say go for it.  They are raconteurs of the highest order and their personalities will carry you and your family through the roughest of patches.  

R.I.P. Roscoe

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My wife has a friend that is looking to re home a English bull dog.  The dog was a gift for her husband, but he recent changed work and is over the road trucking.

She is honest, and I also know an English bulldog can be a lot of work. He's a good dog but is rambunctious and hard headed which is a common bulldog trait. He's not mean.

She said he is fully house broken supposedly. The dog has only been offered to one other person who already owns one. I was next in line.

I'm only considered because I had a lot of interest in getting one and became knowleable about them. She wants the dog to go to someone who can properly care for it. I squashed the idea because of the cost of one and they can be a lot of work.

What I know about them.

1. Hard headed
2. Breathing trouble is common because of the flat nose
3. No heat. They are so fat, its possible for one to have a heat stroke within 10 minutes in extreme heat or weather.
4. Sensitive skin. The folds and wrinkles can get irritations if not groomed properly
5. She said he sheds a lot
6.more vet bills than an average mutt
7. Different hereditary problems if it came from a poor breeder. Eye sight, joint and bone problems, etc.
8. Sensitive stomach and gag reflex.  Possible diarrhea and vomiting with the wrong food.

View Quote

Sounds like you already know the negatives, if it was me I would be all over it, but then again the price tag on them is my main reason for not having one.  We have westies that we love anyway.

Speed
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted: Younger pic. Is the underbite OK? I'm reading that it's normal.
View Quote

That underbite is perfect.  Its a character trait of the breed when they were used to "bull-bait" cattle.

The Bulldog would jump up and bite the cow or bull on the nose and then hang on with its underbite.  The cow would try to shake off the Bulldog until it became tired and lay down, then the King's subjects could run up and cut the cow's throat.  Later, bull-baiting became a blood sport sort of like cock fighting.  BTW - - - the wrinkles & skin folds are there to keep the cow's blood away from the bulldog's eyes and the short nose also helps to keep the blood out.  

You can still see this bull-baiting  instinct in today's bulldog - - - they love to jump up and bite into a heavy rope as you swing them around.

He is a good looking Bully-Boy.  He is free, you would already be a couple of thousand dollars ahead of the game!

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I have had 2 English Bulldogges.  They are wonderful dogs, we were lucky and had no extra vet problems.  They are smarter than you can imagine, really funny, and there is ALWAYS something coming out of them......Drool, Belches, Farts, Vomit, Poo, and this clear gelatinous snot kind of stuff.  You also have to clean the tail hole regularly....baby wipes are your friend for all of the cracks and crevices.  If you can afford the vet bills roll with it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
hahahahha

$$$$$$ out of pocket.
a lot.

View Quote

Yup coworker had two  

They are a lot of work and expense.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#47]
A vet that has two English bulldogs on their client list knows they'll never be late on the storefront rent.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's not a problem dog.

No shit. They are genetic fucking nightmares plagued with health problems.

Only BSL I support would be the breeding of those dogs. It is just cruel to keep producing dogs that have such shitty health. For fuck's sake, they can't even breed and give birth naturally. Completely unnatural mutant freaks of dogs.

They are super friendly though, but I feel bad for them, since they are as fucked as they are because of our breeding of them for physical traits, and they suffer for it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That underbite is perfect.  Its a character trait of the breed when they were used to "bull-bait" cattle.

The Bulldog would jump up and bite the cow or bull on the nose and then hang on with its underbite.  The cow would try to shake off the Bulldog until it became tired and lay down, then the King's subjects could run up and cut the cow's throat.  Later, bull-baiting became a blood sport sort of like cock fighting.  BTW - - - the wrinkles & skin folds are there to keep the cow's blood away from the bulldog's eyes and the short nose also helps to keep the blood out.  

You can still see this bull-baiting  instinct in today's bulldog - - - they love to jump up and bite into a heavy rope as you swing them around.

He is a good looking Bully-Boy.  He is free, you would already be a couple of thousand dollars ahead of the game!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Younger pic. Is the underbite OK? I'm reading that it's normal.

Wow, you really don't know shit about EB's.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Get it. Great dogs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top