BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That doesn't make a shit. Look at medieval weapons like the mace and Warhammer which killed the fuck outta people.

When a grown man swings a heavy ass axe, dull or not, it can crush your bones if its hits right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
something doesn't compute

when they dig up battlefield dead from those days, the bodies have sword strikes that took off arms and legs

The axes have dull blades.

That doesn't make a shit. Look at medieval weapons like the mace and Warhammer which killed the fuck outta people.

When a grown man swings a heavy ass axe, dull or not, it can crush your bones if its hits right.

Never figured you for a damsel in distress.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:01:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Agincourt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish I could remember when and where I read it, but I do remember reading of one battle that involved most of the participants wearing heavy plate armor. If I remember correctly (been a VERY long time) the battle took place in the rain, so bows of either long or cross variety were not involved. The battle went for hours. It finally ended with no one dead and everyone going back to their sides out of exhaustion.

Agincourt

Thousands of the French were killed by the English bowmen.  Wikipedia says 7-10k french deaths and 1500 noble prisoners vs 112 English casualties.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:18:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I've quite literally trained to kill people with swords, knives, and sticks for over 40 years of my life.
Now that I'm old...I still don't think that it was a waste of time.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:25:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Very interesting. I'll be watching these later. Tag
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:35:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
God its just unorganized retards smacking each other.
View Quote

Says the guy with the retarded avatar....
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:51:36 AM EDT
[#6]
This is the most sick-house thing I've seen all week.  Daaaaaaaaaamn.

Go Team USA!  Crush them all!
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:58:15 AM EDT
[#7]

His eye was dangling out of the damn socket!

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:00:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'll take a wild guess and suggest that those dead weren't wearing much for armor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

when they dig up battlefield dead from those days, the bodies have sword strikes that took off arms and legs

I'll take a wild guess and suggest that those dead weren't wearing much for armor.

Full plate armor was expensive. Like buying a tank today. Only the rich nobility could afford it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:14:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Knocking him to the ground, or whacking him over the head with a mace.

People overestimate the effectiveness of plate armor. A helmet is only as good as the padding under it, and no matter how good the armor is, a solid hit to the side of the knee will bring you down, hard.

And a morning star fucks armor up, leaving the wearer with sever puncture wounds and broken bones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a full suit of plate was extremely expensive.  you know how everyone on arfcom owns a rifle, but only a few guys could afford to show up for militia duty with their own tank?  that kind of expensive.

Yup. And you'd kill a knight by knocking him down, then shanking. These tournaments don't use piercing weapons.

Also seems like the impact weapons are reasonably light - still pretty brutal, but no sledgehammers or anything.
That said, I've seen a guy in a plate helmet knocked out cold with a broadsword to the back of the head.

People overestimate the effectiveness of plate armor. A helmet is only as good as the padding under it, and no matter how good the armor is, a solid hit to the side of the knee will bring you down, hard.

And a morning star fucks armor up, leaving the wearer with sever puncture wounds and broken bones.

this post is interesting.

tell us more.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:57:10 AM EDT
[#10]
That is pretty cool to watch, looks intense. I wonder what kind of money it takes to get outfitted so you don't become brain dead.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:43:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Having fought in the SCA and taken part in multiple skirmishes, I can say with authority that all of those guys suck.

No shield wall, no knight guiding their team, just scream and charge.  They really suck.  Badly.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:48:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

tell us more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a full suit of plate was extremely expensive.  you know how everyone on arfcom owns a rifle, but only a few guys could afford to show up for militia duty with their own tank?  that kind of expensive.

Yup. And you'd kill a knight by knocking him down, then shanking. These tournaments don't use piercing weapons.

Also seems like the impact weapons are reasonably light - still pretty brutal, but no sledgehammers or anything.
That said, I've seen a guy in a plate helmet knocked out cold with a broadsword to the back of the head.

tell us more.

Historically speaking, blunt weapons did a LOT more damage than edged weapons.  And in Medieval Europe even the "edged" weapons were, for the most part, causing blunt force trauma.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:49:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I would do it, I just spent 30 min looking on a website that does the same thing here in the USA.

When I was younger and we had a serious disagreement or wanted drunken fun, we would fight like vikings. We used a 1 inch 4 foot wooden dowel and a metal garbage can lid. Got some good knots in and it could be a bit bloody but no one died.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://medieval-combat.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbTWDeqQf0

Fun sport to follow, I admire their dedication and toughness.

View Quote

Huge black knight with axe stuck in his helmet

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:59:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Unified Weapons Master is what you seek.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Historically speaking, blunt weapons did a LOT more damage than edged weapons.  And in Medieval Europe even the "edged" weapons were, for the most part, causing blunt force trauma.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

tell us more.

i'm aware.  just interested to hear about the purported ineffectiveness of plate, as well as the "severe puncture wounds" from flails.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:52:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Having fought in the SCA and taken part in multiple skirmishes, I can say with authority that all of those guys suck.

No shield wall, no knight guiding their team, just scream and charge.  They really suck.  Badly.
View Quote

They're champions in their countries. They're good. It's just that the rules force a certain play style.

Shield wall is needed to fend off arrows and spear thrusts. The rules of that competition have neither, so no shield wall.

And the whole SCA "feudal" leadership structure... Let's just say I'm not a fan, and having a team captain is perfectly sufficient for those sorts of matches. A well-trained team doesn't generally need one, even.

I sort of liked the old days, when everything was crazy and the rules weren't as formalized. Didn't participate in any of the really big events in Russia, tho.
Video of an old LARP castle siege and various insanity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDdTB1GzHJw

This is one is 2010 Ukraine, looks like 500-1000 participants. Bigger than a lot of actual medieval battles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJshvMrrxJc
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#18]
My weapon of choice would be a 5lb sledgehammer... Then again that might be frowned upon because everyone you hit would need to be carried off in a stretcher.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:58:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i'm aware.  just interested to hear about the purported ineffectiveness of plate, as well as the "severe puncture wounds" from flails.
View Quote

Not everyone here has done medieval reenactment

Flails are VERY fun to use, but only work in certain situations/rule sets (they're useless if the opponent's weapon is much longer OR much shorter than the flail).
Even then, they're usually banned because ones heavy/flexible enough to be useful can also hit really hard if spinning at top speed.

pic related:
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thousands of the French were killed by the English bowmen.  Wikipedia says 7-10k french deaths and 1500 noble prisoners vs 112 English casualties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I could remember when and where I read it, but I do remember reading of one battle that involved most of the participants wearing heavy plate armor. If I remember correctly (been a VERY long time) the battle took place in the rain, so bows of either long or cross variety were not involved. The battle went for hours. It finally ended with no one dead and everyone going back to their sides out of exhaustion.

Agincourt

yea.. the French got routed..

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They're champions in their countries. They're good. It's just that the rules force a certain play style.

Shield wall is needed to fend off arrows and spear thrusts. The rules of that competition have neither, so no shield wall.

And the whole SCA "feudal" leadership structure... Let's just say I'm not a fan, and having a team captain is perfectly sufficient for those sorts of matches. A well-trained team doesn't generally need one, even.

I sort of liked the old days, when everything was crazy and the rules weren't as formalized. Didn't participate in any of the really big events in Russia, tho.

I disagree with your assessment of the use of a shield wall.

Did you notice that those melees degenerated into multiples on one very quickly?  Typically the side who had a few fast chargers lost those quickly, meaning that everyone else got double (or more) teamed ASAP.  A shield wall prevents this.  It then comes down to who's better at individual combat until one side's shield wall breaks.  After that you get the general melee and mop up.

This is one is 2010 Ukraine, looks like 500-1000 participants. Bigger than a lot of actual medieval battles
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree with your assessment of the use of a shield wall.

Did you notice that those melees degenerated into multiples on one very quickly?  Typically the side who had a few fast chargers lost those quickly, meaning that everyone else got double (or more) teamed ASAP.  A shield wall prevents this.  It then comes down to who's better at individual combat until one side's shield wall breaks.  After that you get the general melee and mop up.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's cause SCA rules, IIRC, have a "kill" on a solid hit to the helm/torso. Ergo, you can actually "kill" an opponent without stepping out of your own shield wall.
Under the rules of "Battle of the Nations" (or whatever their system is called), you actually have to knock someone down, which is nigh-impossible to do without  maneuvering. Plus, looks like a shield wall would just get flanked and polearm'd to the legs (SCA also doesn't have shin sweeps, which makes polearms and greatswords a lot less useful than IRL).

I'm not saying shield walls are always bad, and my guesses as to the specific reasons the competitors in the videos don't use em may be wrong... But rest assured most anyone in those matches knows very well how to use various tight formations; if they don't use em, it's for very good reasons.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's cause SCA rules, IIRC, have a "kill" on a solid hit to the helm/torso. Ergo, you can actually "kill" an opponent without stepping out of your own shield wall.
Under the rules of "Battle of the Nations" (or whatever their system is called), you actually have to knock someone down, which is nigh-impossible to do without  maneuvering. Plus, looks like a shield wall would just get flanked and polearm'd to the legs (SCA also doesn't have shin sweeps, which makes polearms and greatswords a lot less useful than IRL).

I'm not saying shield walls are always bad, and my guesses as to the specific reasons the competitors in the videos don't use em may be wrong... But rest assured most anyone in those matches knows very well how to use various tight formations; if they don't use em, it's for very good reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.

They should all use UWM rules, that'd settle it.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agincourt

Yup. Lots stuck in the mud and couldn't escape.

I ignored his part about no one dying because that battle never happened as described but the battle where mud affected those in plate was Agincourt.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most of those guys are SCA members lol
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Dude some of those neck chops looked bad. Those guys are fucking nuts.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well that's obvious

but this thread is talking about AMAZING FULL CONTACT FIGHTING

usually the term full contact implies some kind of bad-ass risk of grave injury

full contact karate means the loser ends up incapacitated in some way, not just tired

suppose you and I have a karate battle wearing this armor?  is that full contact karate?

if they had just two guys fighting with shields and maces, that could potentially be like real fighting

or if they were jousting

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

God its just unorganized retards smacking each other.

Says the guy with no avatar.

Thanks for the compliment.

ETA: donate $24 to the site and I'll make you your own retarded avatar.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#29]
The american team should really be dressed as the indians would have going into battle with budkskins , wood or stone wardlubs, and sinew bows and arros (but doesnt look like those are allowed)

Are the axe or pike/halbred heads steel or something lighter?  Padding or not under those helmets, I don't see how more guys aren't knocked unconscious if they are steel.  Thats a lot of mass on some of those weapons.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The american team should really be dressed as the indians would have going into battle with budkskins , wood or stone wardlubs, and sinew bows and arros (but doesnt look like those are allowed)

Are the axe or pike/halbred heads steel or something lighter?  Padding or not under those helmets, I don't see how more guys aren't knocked unconscious if they are steel.  Thats a lot of mass on some of those weapons.
View Quote

Modern materials.

When I was in the SCA (80s) there was a welder who made the helmets.  The inside was lined with (I believe) closed cell foam.  I'm not a small guy, nor weak by anyone's imagination (back then, anyway).  I did a full strength overhand smash to my friend wearing his helm.  He just looked at me and told me to hit him harder.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I ignored his part about no one dying because that battle never happened as described but the battle where mud affected those in plate was Agincourt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agincourt

Most of them surrendered and were executed on the king's orders later in the battle, when he thought they were being attacked by cavalry from the rear and was afraid the prisoners could overwhelm them.  He had to get the archers to do it, too.  The English knights refused to kill helpless knights.  As noble as that sounds, (it was pretty ballsy) they were probably thinking with their pocketbooks.  They threw away a fortune in ransom.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've quite literally trained to kill people with swords, knives, and sticks for over 40 years of my life.
Now that I'm old...I still don't think that it was a waste of time.  

http://i.imgur.com/z7UL9WY.jpg
View Quote

What's your opinion on European knight vs Japanese samurai?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Looked interesting at first when I clicked on the video. But then, I saw people in the same colors hitting each other ? Looked stupid after that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Badass - absolutely.  But did you notice at the beginning during the "safety" briefing there was a no smoking sign
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Tis but a scratch . . .

A scratch . . . your arm's off ! ! !

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top