[#1]
this is why lionizing all veterans is a bad thing

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#2]
What an anus.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats fucking retarded. Eat a dick you you piece of shit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup........every once in a while a TOTAL douche bag pops up.

I mean, what a fucking condescending prick!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]
"Assault Weapon" = any item used to commit an assault.  See hands, feet, sticks, rocks, frozen fish, firearms, knives, bricks, hand held radios, beer mugs, etc.

"Assault Rifle"  = A lightweight rifle capable of semi-auto and FULL Auto fire, firing a medium caliber rifle round more powerful than most handgun rounds, but less powerful than most hunting rifle rounds. Example: military issue M4 and M16 rifles.  

"Personal Defense Rifle" = as defined by the Department of Homeland Security.  A light weight rifle firing a medium caliber rifle round, semi-auto only (only one round fired per trigger pull.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Probably a dupe

John S. Butler owns a construction company in Denver, N.C.  I am sure NCHTF will let this guys views be known.

Bite me and blow my dog you fudd traitor (now that the formalities are out of the way).

Family and friends have convinced me it’s time to speak out. All the rhetoric and boasting swirling around social media about gun rights and gun control is so loud and, at times, irresponsible that it’s becoming meaningless.

I am calling on veterans who have served in active combat – lived and almost died depending on the assault weapon strapped to your body – to speak out. We are the people who have true insight on this issue. Without wealth and connections to keep a deferment, I was drafted and in active combat for a year in Vietnam from Nov. 1967 to Nov. 1968. During the Tet offensive in Jan. ’68, some of the worst fighting in the war, I was frequently in first-hand combat along the Mekong River and through the rice paddies in the delta radioing coordinates for artillery firepower.

Assault weapons are just that: for assault. They are not for the general public to play at target practice or use for sport. They are too dangerous. The general public is not trained sufficiently nor mentally strategic enough to understand their raw power. They should be in the hands of only the military and tactical, highly trained law enforcement.

Disagree with me? If you’re a veteran and served in active combat with an assault weapon, I value your opinion – even if it differs from mine. If you’re simply a gun enthusiast who believes it’s your inalienable right to play with assault weapons, I don’t value it because you really don’t understand the consequences – you haven’t witnessed them. If that’s who you are and what you want, join the military and be useful with that.

I believe in the Second Amendment. I own a gun. I have a concealed carry permit just in case I need it – not to carry routinely. What’s the old saying ... if you carry around a hammer, you’re always looking for a nail?

I also understand the Second Amendment’s purpose when it was written and the state of weaponry when it was created. It’s called perspective – useful when you’re forming opinions and making decisions.

I call out our N.C. senators in Washington who consistently vote against stricter background checks, reinstating the assault weapons ban, and not preventing people on the terrorist watch list from buying guns. I’m amazed that politicians like Thom Tillis accept immense amounts of NRA donations and think we don’t understand that compromises the way he votes. I may not have gotten a college degree because I was fighting a war, but I’m smart enough to figure that out.

It’s time we expect more from our politicians, and be more responsible ourselves. I’m starting here.

Left cold:  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article85358432.html

View Quote

This has to be one of the most ridiculous, asinine, short-sighted, and bullshit line about CC I've ever heard.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I am an infantry combat veteran and I believe that the 2nd Amendment does not protect sport shooting and hunting, it's designed so that The People have a genuine voice to a tyrannical government.

A government that is NOT tyrannical should NOT CARE if we have a 2nd Amendment, because it has nothing to fear.

That being said, I, as an infantry combat veteran, believe that modern sporting rifles ('assault rifles' to the uninformed), ARE completely protected by the 2nd Amendment.

That's my opinion.

I think this Vietnam vet is wrong.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah. This guy did a good thing once (well kinda, he was drafted) and now thinks he can speak with authority on an issue that is so much deeper and far reaching then a simple "uncle Sam gave me an m16, I know what I'm saying" argument.

Veteran status means fuck all to the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

People are having at it. Thought this one was particularly good.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Be sure to comment on his "opinion". Have at it.

People are having at it. Thought this one was particularly good.

Jeremy Keen · Dallas, Texas

My status as a veteran aside, you probably know a fraction of what the typical American "gun nut" knows about the very firearms on which you're claiming to be an expert. I can also confidently state that the VAST majority of combat veterans do not share your opinion and would likely call you a dumbass to your face. You should stop pretending that you know the meaning of the Second Amendment because you very obviously do not. You are parroting the classic anti-gun rhetoric which seeks to apply the Second Amendment only to the weaponry available at the time it was written. If that were true, would not the First Amendment apply only to quill and paper? One of the most important rules of business ownership is to avoid politics. I hope this article costs you a lot of money in lost customers because, frankly, you need to learn an expensive lesson about what happens when you very publicly share a condescending-as-hell opinion about a polarizing issue.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#11]
All of the vets I know.  Combat and Non think you suck.  Even their buddies are the same.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Another thing.   My Mauser made in 1890 FAR exceeds the "raw" power of assault rifles.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This has to be one of the most ridiculous, asinine, short-sighted, and bullshit line about CC I've ever heard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably a dupe

John S. Butler owns a construction company in Denver, N.C.  I am sure NCHTF will let this guys views be known.

Bite me and blow my dog you fudd traitor (now that the formalities are out of the way).
Family and friends have convinced me it’s time to speak out. All the rhetoric and boasting swirling around social media about gun rights and gun control is so loud and, at times, irresponsible that it’s becoming meaningless.

I am calling on veterans who have served in active combat – lived and almost died depending on the assault weapon strapped to your body – to speak out. We are the people who have true insight on this issue. Without wealth and connections to keep a deferment, I was drafted and in active combat for a year in Vietnam from Nov. 1967 to Nov. 1968. During the Tet offensive in Jan. ’68, some of the worst fighting in the war, I was frequently in first-hand combat along the Mekong River and through the rice paddies in the delta radioing coordinates for artillery firepower.

Assault weapons are just that: for assault. They are not for the general public to play at target practice or use for sport. They are too dangerous. The general public is not trained sufficiently nor mentally strategic enough to understand their raw power. They should be in the hands of only the military and tactical, highly trained law enforcement.

Disagree with me? If you’re a veteran and served in active combat with an assault weapon, I value your opinion – even if it differs from mine. If you’re simply a gun enthusiast who believes it’s your inalienable right to play with assault weapons, I don’t value it because you really don’t understand the consequences – you haven’t witnessed them. If that’s who you are and what you want, join the military and be useful with that.

I believe in the Second Amendment. I own a gun. I have a concealed carry permit just in case I need it – not to carry routinely. What’s the old saying ... if you carry around a hammer, you’re always looking for a nail?

I also understand the Second Amendment’s purpose when it was written and the state of weaponry when it was created. It’s called perspective – useful when you’re forming opinions and making decisions.

I call out our N.C. senators in Washington who consistently vote against stricter background checks, reinstating the assault weapons ban, and not preventing people on the terrorist watch list from buying guns. I’m amazed that politicians like Thom Tillis accept immense amounts of NRA donations and think we don’t understand that compromises the way he votes. I may not have gotten a college degree because I was fighting a war, but I’m smart enough to figure that out.

It’s time we expect more from our politicians, and be more responsible ourselves. I’m starting here.

Hey, maybe he has a crystal ball so he knows when he's going to need to defend himself... you don't know.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#14]
By his logic, anyone who can shoot better than the worst shooting cop or soldier should have access to the same hardware.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Does his tank icon override my God-given right and the right enumerated in the 2A?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#16]
So, has anyone today had the opportunity to speak with this gentleman on the telephone?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#17]
.223/5.56 is portrayed as being so much more powerful than a normal rifle that a mere civilian can't handle it... so is it too powerful for deer hunting since many states don't allow its use for that?

If it is too much for deer maybe it would at least be ok for bear or buffalo?

I am no vet but I am a hunter, I haven't seen any round do pretty things to animals.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#18]
wesley clark john mc cain, petraius, powell, and many many more

didn't even mc chrystal tell us we shouldn't have the nasty black rifle?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#19]
He is screwed up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Iceman: Maverick, it's not your flying gun owning, it's your attitude. The enemy's dangerous, but right now you're worse. Dangerous and foolish. You may not like who's flying gun owning with you, but whose side are you on?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I lost god knows how many braincells reading that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
Well I disagree. So, FU

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#24]
From the article comments...

B.j. Butler · UNC

I hope your guns are as big as your....bluster, guys. I happen to believe this guy is braver than all of you because he doesn't seem to think he needs a great big gun to prove he's a man. The subtleties of the difference in definition you know so much about doesn't mean crap when you're wounded or dead after you've been shot by your semiautomatic!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I know douchebags, and you, sir, are one....
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL, comments. Always look before leaping.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

B.j. Butler · UNC

I hope your guns are as big as your....bluster, guys. I happen to believe this guy is braver than all of you because he doesn't seem to think he needs a great big gun to prove he's a man. The subtleties of the difference in definition you know so much about doesn't mean crap when you're wounded or dead after you've been shot by your semiautomatic!

That is why I roll my eyes when everyone starts in on the "ASSAULT WEAPONS ARE FULL AUTO BY DEFINITION!!!" crowd.

It's a derpy-ass argument that means jack and shit to the anti-gunners.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I believe that those who have been in combat, particularly infantry combat, have an insight to themselves most of us don't have. It doesn't translate to knowledge of constitutional law, along with many other things.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Several thoughts:

1) His 'nam era training with the AR system is substandard by modern standards, and advanced carbine training is available to civilians*.

2) The AR platform is particularly good because it requires less training to be effective. It is a particularly good self defense weapon for a wide range of civilians.

3) The understanding of wound ballistics was poorly understood in the '60s. We have a much better understanding of that now.

*I'll note that modern combat pistol shooting was devised in the private sector, and the advanced carbine training likewise was something the military lifted from private schools like Gunsite.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sometimes I think national service would be a good thing because it removes some of the mystique from military service. "Whoop dee shit, you did your years just like me."

This line of reasoning is meant to shame people who were never in the military into silence. Joe Blow law-abiding citizen who never went near a recruiter has a right to own any damn gun he wants and doesn't need to explain himself to anybody.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#33]
"Disagree with me?"

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Lmao. I wish I knew ahead of time when I would need my gun. That sure would make life easier.

"I have a concealed carry permit just in case I need it – not to carry routinely."
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fudds are the worst kind of gun owner
View Quote

Worse than hipsters?  
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#36]
So only veteran can determine what I can and cannot do?

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Is his screen name "John McCain"?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sometimes I think national service would be a good thing because it removes some of the mystique from military service. "Whoop dee shit, you did your years just like me."

This line of reasoning is meant to shame people who were never in the military into silence. Joe Blow law-abiding citizen who never went near a recruiter has a right to own any damn gun he wants and doesn't need to explain himself to anybody.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happens here on Arf too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I served in combat in the Marines.  Got my CAR receiving and returning small-arms fire multiple times.  

He can go fuck himself with an aids infested cactus.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Too bad that faggot didn't die in combat and take the place of a much better man who laid his life down for this country.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Hmmmm, by his logic you should only buy car insurance "sometimes"....not have it everyday.

What a dolt.

Sorry, your big scary words and drama don't make your sorry ass any more credible.

Freedom is a scary thing for some people.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#42]
No one but combat veterans can have an informed opinion? That seems a bit elitist considering that Consitution you swore to uphold and defend against all enemies foreign and domestic applies to all Americans.

I am a infantry combat veteran and AND a former police officer and AND my combat service was in the last decade so I decree I out rank you in my incredible expertness! Free Assault guns for everyone!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm just going to InB4 it's proven he was never in combat.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I would dare say most of us in the state of NC could not disagree more with Mr. Butler...thankfully.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Happens here on Arf too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happens here on Arf too.

It's ok us "real vets" served voluntarily not like those conscripts.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#46]
You armed forces service doesn't give you any more standing or any more right to voice your opinion than someone who lives in his Mom's basement.

Sounds like he is a disgrace to his nation.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've never heard a veteran use the term "first hand combat."  Especially the way he throws it into every other sentence as though we're supposed to be impressed.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Id really like to know his MOS
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
All of the vets I know.  Combat and Non think you suck.  Even their buddies are the same.
View Quote

Remember how the Swift Boaters felt about Kerry?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

That shitfaced fuckstick is getting slammed in the comments.
View Quote

I went back to that article just to check out the castration given in the comments, and there's nothing. Looks like they disabled the comments on my end.

A shame. I was hoping for a few lulz off of it.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top