Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2016 8:20:27 PM EDT
I need a response to the following post:

"I've wanted to say this for a while, but today someone posted a very disturbing photo of a mother hugging her child before both were executed by a Nazi soldier, for being Jewish. The tag line was: this is what happens when the government confiscates your guns.

"I guess many of you slept through, or skipped government classes, but this thing called the 2nd amendment guarantees your right to bear arms. And unless 2/3 of BOTH houses of Congress AND 35 states vote to amend or remove the 2nd amendment, it CANNOT happen. Not POTUS nor SCOTUS nor anyone else can take away your right to own a gun."

FYI:  Even tho I've known this guy for 40 years, I will unfriend him when I am finished rebutting him.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Reading his statement, I'm having a hard time understanding his stance.  He responds to a pic he's seen but his response doesn't seem to definitively take a side or state an opinion.  Am I wrong?

How are you reading it OP?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
What am I supposed to be outraged about?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reading his statement, I'm having a hard time understanding his stance.  He responds to a pic he's seen but his response doesn't seem to definitively take a side or state an opinion.  Am I wrong?

View Quote

Thanks for posting my exact thoughts so eloquently
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can't come up with the response on your own it's probably better to leave it alone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Just post a copy of the SAFE Act.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
How cute, he still thinks the government plays by the rules.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I took his post as being generally supportive of the 2nd.  Am I misreading it?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"I've wanted to say this for a while, but today someone posted a very disturbing photo of a mother hugging her child before both were executed by a Nazi soldier, for being Jewish. The tag line was: this is what happens when the government confiscates your guns.

"I guess many of you slept through, or skipped government classes, but this thing called the 2nd amendment guarantees your right to bear arms. And unless 2/3 of BOTH houses of Congress AND 35 states vote to amend or remove the 2nd amendment, it CANNOT happen. Not POTUS nor SCOTUS nor anyone else can take away your right to own a gun."

FYI:  Even tho I've known this guy for 40 years, I will unfriend him when I am finished rebutting him.
View Quote

What was that quote?
Something like:
Here is a Republic if you can keep it.

Tell him to try bearing arms in NYC.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Rational and factual are foreign concepts on Facebook
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Ask him about the Warsaw Uprising
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you can't come up with the response on your own it's probably better to leave it alone.
View Quote

I am wise enough to know there are smarter and more articulate people that I.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Read five times, sounds good to me. Pic is probbly Operation Barborossa.

http://histclo.com/essay/war/ww2/camp/eur/ger/bar/bar-ext.html
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#15]
No fucking idea what his stance is based upon that statement.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#16]
It doesn't matter if the government openly denies a right or if they regulate it and dismantle it piece by piece. Blacks could vote in the south as long as they met the "qualifications."

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow/voting_literacy.html
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#17]
They don't teach history any longer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#18]
He's naive in thinking SCOTUS/POTUS can't take away your right.

They have and will continue to "regulate" the right into non existence.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm confused, that post seems to be supporting the second amendment.  

Are you wanting to convince him that the .gov has actually already limited it a good bit?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

What's to rebut?

Naive to think. however, that a liberal SCOTUS could not "reinterpret" the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#21]
The easiest way to rebuttals that response is to delete your Facebook account.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm confused.

Perhaps I'm reading his statement wrong, but he seems to be stating correctly that the 2A is in place and cannot be usurped by POTUS/SCOTUS.

Or am I missing something...

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Why worry about FB OP?  The only one that cares is you!  Say your peace, take your ban, and live a better life...
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#24]
... sometimes a simple, "FUCK YOU" works
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Op are you an anti gunner? Im confused.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe he believes that, "common sense/reasonable" gun laws aren't a violation of the 2nd Amendment's,  ".....the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" clause?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#27]
There was an AWB back in the 90s, that included limitations on magazine capacity. The denigration of the 2nd Amendment can happen at anytime, depending on the politics that are the majority of the congress, senate, and the president. The SCROTUS is not your friend either. They didn't strike down the AWB as unconstitutional. The only guarantees for the 2A is what we collectively fight for.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#28]
He is correct, which is why they want to outlaw just a few types of guns at a time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't get it.  He seems to be saying that the 2nd Amendment is here to stay.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Need some context - is he supporting UBC and mag limits and general AWB's and saying no one wants to or can take them away and measures such as this are common sense?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#31]
It might be read as "No one is planning to 'take your guns' you ignorant hicks" but I'm not at all sure that's the Facebook poster's intent.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Just like SCOTUS, POTUS and Congress would never force you to buy a product you don't want.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm confused, that post seems to be supporting the second amendment.  

Are you wanting to convince him that the .gov has actually already limited it a good bit?
View Quote

Read it a few times, basically he spouting the same liberal statement we dont want your guns. But what they are really saying is we don't want all your guns, as long as all your guns are muskets.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#35]
His statement is idealistic and the 'way it should be'.  However, state bans, presidential executive orders, interpretation of federal regulations, demonization by the media, and dozens of other means are being used to erode those rights.  You even have a presidential candidate who is espousing an Australian style confiscation - along with numerous members of Congress.  Incremental efforts by these forces of evil have chipped away at those Constitutional guarantees of our inalienable rights for decades and have left behind a Second Amendment that would horrify our founding fathers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just like SCOTUS, POTUS and Congress would never force you to buy a product you don't want.
View Quote

God Dammit.

I get so mad every time I think about it in those terms.

Or force you into a contract with a private corporation...
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Just tell him that:

The powers that be are doing whatever they can to limit the interpretation of the second amendment to the point of making it meaningless.  Every time someone goes nuts with a gun, the media, the progressives and all of their fellow travelers try to use the emotional upwelling to further restrict the Second.  Make no mistake, their end goal is disarmament of every American.  They're willing to chip away at the Second every chance that they get until we're so worn down that we give up and let them dispose of the Second Amendment altogether.  They've been chipping away at that it since 1934, and its up to those of us who care about our civil rights to remain vigilant.

The picture of the Jewish mother and child being executed was to remind you of the stakes.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm confused...
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

the guy is saying that since there is still the text of the 2nd in the constitution, nobody will be able to take away your guns.  aside from the whole, "we can have reasonable restrictions and we get to decide what is reasonable" part.  

hillary has already stated that they would "take care" of the 2nd once she gets in office and gets some more liberal judges on the scotus.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#40]
1)  Truth hurts, doesn't it?

2)  Someone is sleeping through life.  WAKE THE HELL UP!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Unless I'm missing something he sounds pro gun. What's going on here?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

First thing I thought of as well.  It is beyond naive to think that the government will play by the rules and not seek to undermine and marginalize constitutionally protected rights whenever they are inconvenient.  

If he wants a federal law instead of state, point him to the GFSZA, particularly its original rationale before it was struck down and then re-passed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I have no problem with what was stated.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is my take on the friends post.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Your friend does not take the threat seriously.   He believes the current interpretation of the second will stand without change as to how we interpret it today.

Hell, with the losses in CA, CT, NY, etc it's clear the second is losing it's interpretation already.   When they limit us to bolt action or single shot rifles only - will it even require more than the wrong accumulation of the Supremes to validate it as being constitutional?

Your friend is going to ignore the threat until what he has has been so emasculated as to be unrecognizable by comparison to what we have today.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Pretty easy. When you can walk from one end of Washington D.C. or Chicago with an AR-15 and not get it confiscated let me know.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Just tell that what he claims can't happen is happening right now.

One more Liberal in the SCOTUS and the Second Amendment is effectively gone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's right that POTUS and SCOTUS cannot take away our right to own a gun, but he's wrong about why. He's also wrong about what I think he's implying.

The founding fathers believed that our rights were "endowed by our Creator." By this, some of them meant the rights were God-given, others believed they were "natural rights" but they all would agree that these rights belong to every human everywhere just because we are human. They called these rights "unalienable" because they could not be taken or given away.

The purpose of the Bill of Rights is not to grant us rights, it is to protect our rights and reign in govt. and would be incredibly difficult now to remove the 2nd amendment.
In
However, the existence of natural/God-given rights, and the protection of the Bill of Rights has not kept SCOTUS and POTUS and lesser courts and governments from engaging in systematic and prolonged abuses of those rights. In my lifetime I've seen government ignore the rights protected by every amendment except the 3rd. So, just because they cannot take our rights, and it would be difficult for them to remove our constitutional protections of those rights, doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned about those politicians that have shown a disrespect and disregard towards the 2nd.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I don't get it.  He seems to be saying that the 2nd Amendment is here to stay.
View Quote

To me he is basically in a nut shell saying "OMG Obama is coming to take your guns!" or the same with Hillary in a nicely worded "gun owners are stupid".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top