Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#1]
My insurance company covers chip repair for free.  They sent me straight to Safelite and they "fixed" it on the spot no charge.  Maybe your insurance is the same.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good job having a cam.  That's 90% of the way there.  

Mute it.  You don't want someone to take comments out of context.  Most have a button to unmute you can hit when you hit the save at the same time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Left lane is the hammer lane and you're not hammering it. And what kind of gay ass shit are you listening to?

I find that I do a lot less "hammering" once I know I have my own dashcam documenting any foolishness that may result.  The music is Russian (???????, I think).  I listen to it somewhat regularly to try to improve my Russian (which is horrible - I'm lucky if I understand more than 20% of the words).

Good job having a cam.  That's 90% of the way there.  

Mute it.  You don't want someone to take comments out of context.  Most have a button to unmute you can hit when you hit the save at the same time.

I thought about muting it but I think it might be helpful to have audio in some situations (like me reading the tag number aloud at the end of the vid).

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So this morning I am driving to work and a rock hit my windshield.  It came from a pickup a little ways in front of me.  I guess it came from the tire but not sure.  

Anyways, I checked my windshield and there is a pit in it from the rock.  Not cracked yet but it might.  Check out the video and tell me if you think the other driver is financially responsible.  I am honestly don't know how these things go legally.  In a sense, it seems like it's not anybody's fault unless it flew off the back of the truck.  But it does suck if I wind up having to buy a new windshield.

The wide-angle lens of the dashcam makes the truck look farther away than it is.  The rock hits at 11 seconds in.

Youtube Video of Rock Strike

That was God punishing you for camping the left lane.

That's not fair - I had just passed a van and stayed left to get closer to the pickup for a look at his tag.  No cars behind me.

Is this you OP?
http://conservatives4palin.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Pajama-Boy.jpg

Damn, you found me out!    

Naw, that music is too gay for pajama boy!  

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My insurance company covers chip repair for free.  They sent me straight to Safelite and they "fixed" it on the spot no charge.  Maybe your insurance is the same.
View Quote

Ok, I guess I should call USAA and check.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Was the truck hauling rocks? Didn't look like it. It came from the road and no one owns it.

I blame the music, turn that shit off and the road won't try to destroy your car out of spite.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Was the truck hauling rocks? Didn't look like it. It came from the road and no one owns it.

I blame the music, turn that shit off and the road won't try to destroy your car out of spite.

View Quote

Ok, I'm sensing a trend here.  Does GD have something against mellow music?  I've never seen this forum so united on one topic.  Surely some arfcommer appreciates my music?  Anybody?  

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

IIRC if it touches the ground first no.

View Quote

Nope.  If you can't secure your gravel, dirt load, you pay for it.  Don't clean of the dump lip or secure the gate ion your truck, you pay for it.   Don't clean off  the tracks on the excavator and drop shit on the road, you pay for it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish I had video of the rock to the windshield I took with a customers Jeep 2 months ago.  I was out test driving on the highway at about 60 mph and a rock about the size of a golfball came out from a dump truck coming at me the other direction.  Hit hard enough to leave broken glass on the dashboard.  Made me happy I wasn't on a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You should have edited out the music.
View Quote

No shit. OP should have to straight up pay for a new windshield cuz of that noise.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Really op.......a rock thrown and a chip???.......I commute from Delaware to south philly  5-7 days a week on i 95.....ladders falling off trucks and laying in the road across 2-3 lanes that you roll up on at 75+ mph with the retards in front/around you is a weekly occurrence .....and your worried about a fucking stone chip in glass....i
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok, I'm sensing a trend here.  Does GD have something against mellow music?  I've never seen this forum so united on one topic.  Surely some arfcommer appreciates my music?  Anybody?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know who you were listening to but I think you'd like Jewel.  I'll admit that I listened to her in the past during some emotional times.  How about you?  You can open up here if you want.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, I have comprehensive insurance.  The stinking car only has 2700 miles on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you have comprehensive insurance? A repair may be free to you, no deductible. Call your insurance company. From my experience they'll have you go in or have someone come out to you,  inject it with some sealer, it'll look a lot smaller than it looks now, if it's even visible. Fixing a windshield is cheaper than replacing one if caught soon enough.

Yes, I have comprehensive insurance.  The stinking car only has 2700 miles on it.

New cars attract road hazards and vandals.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

USAA covers rock chips free of charge to you under comprehensive coverage.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before starting a thread on arfcom to determine 'financial responsibility'? Lol, That would be silly
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#16]
USAA will repair rock chips free, and if the damage is larger than a one dollar bill they will replace the windshield.

THAT being said, you are driving too slow in the passing lane and your music is terrible.

Aviator
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Roads be hazardous, yo.
View Quote

Yup.

Lol, if it was a dump truck full of untarped gravel you might have a case, albeit an uphill case that would cost you more in time and aggravation than a chip repair or new windshield would run. But some dude just cruising in his OBS Ford that you passed, you should be embarrassed to chalk that up to anything but an "act of God".

And your choice of music sucks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doesn't everything touch the ground first?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't know who you were listening to but I think you'd like Jewel.  I'll admit that I listened to her in the past during some emotional times.  How about you?  You can open up here if you want.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang, I listened to a Jewel song on youtube and it is a pretty close match to that song I was listening to!!  

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Before starting a thread on arfcom to determine 'financial responsibility'? Lol, That would be silly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you guys know everything (collectively).  I'm sure to get a better answer here than from a random USAA operator.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nope.  If you can't secure your gravel, dirt load, you pay for it.  Don't clean of the dump lip or secure the gate ion your truck, you pay for it.   Don't clean off  the tracks on the excavator and drop shit on the road, you pay for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That didn't work for me.  I met an oncoming dump truck.  Cracked my windshield so I turned around and followed him.  He had a couple inches of rock piled on the bumper.  Didn't bother sweeping it off.  He told me it wasn't his problem.  Highway patrol said the same thing.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
USAA will repair rock chips free, and if the damage is larger than a one dollar bill they will replace the windshield.

THAT being said, you are driving too slow in the passing lane and your music is terrible.

Aviator
View Quote

Ok, so just how fast do you think I need to pass cars?  There were no cars behind me.  If it wasn't almost bedtime, I would post the video from my rear camera so everyone could see just how clear the road is.  I can't believe the assumptions people are jumping to!

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#23]
In Ky with all the coal trucks you get two free windshields a year with no impact on your insurance premiums. State law.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, the quality of the video got reduced when I uploaded it to youtube.  The original is much sharper.

I'm wondering if I should just get the cheapo $40 repair and hope it doesn't crack or try to file with USAA and get a new windshield.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sorry, but it appeared to me that your music damaged the windshield . This is one of the reasons glass breakage is usually handled with no deductible under comp coverage. I honestly didn't see the rock hit, the video was a bit too grainy for fine detail.

Yeah, the quality of the video got reduced when I uploaded it to youtube.  The original is much sharper.

I'm wondering if I should just get the cheapo $40 repair and hope it doesn't crack or try to file with USAA and get a new windshield.

Call you insurance company, most do the repair service for free. Safelite did ours a several years back, came to my wife's work, fixed and was gone in less than a hour. IIRC it comes with a life time warranty not to crack.

If its not cracked, insurance isnt going to replace it for a 'pit'.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
that's how I understand it

Knew a guy get jacked up by a semi that shed a tread  , but since it hit the ground before he hit it

Insurance co said road debris so SOL, contact your own insurance

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I just went through this scenario with my vehicle.
I live in Austin, and the occurrence happened on I-35.

I was driving behind a truck in the left lane going southbound. (BTW I did not watch your video.)
All of a sudden, there was a shower of rocks and mud and debris that came from underneath his
vehicle and struck the front of my vehicle. The rocks were not lying on the road - it literally came from
somewhere underneath his vehicle. I got his license plate number and called my insurance company.
FWIW I have Nationwide Insurance and have been a customer for 37 years - both home & auto.

The claim representative was able to look up the plate while I was on the phone and found out that
the truck was registered to an excavation company. Following is a summary of what was told to me.

Yes, they are responsible for the damage, Even if there is just a nick, they are legally responsible
to make you whole, i.e. repair the damage(s). I ended up having my hood, front bumper, roof, and front fenders
being repainted. Both of my headlights, hood emblem/badge, front windshield, grilles, and sunroof were replaced.
It was covered under my Comprehensive coverage and did not count "against" me. My insurance would pay for
the repair whether or not the other person/company would.

However, my insurance company did admit that it might be difficult for them to collect from the other person
and/or company due to a number of factors. I'll defer on the details since that is another subject altogether,
and it was not part of your original question. Although, having a video recording would definitely help your case.

I'll also address other issues that have been brought up in this thread that are related and that I've had direct
experience with. Following is a summary of what my insurance company has told me past dealings with them.

If you hit debris lying on the road, it is your responsibility to pay - either by yourself or under your Collision coverage.
I found this out when I hit a deer that had been hit by another vehicle. Since the other vehicle knocked the deer into
my vehicle, it was covered under my Comprehensive. If I had hit the deer while it was lying on the road (even after
being immediately hit by another vehicle), it would have been my fault, and it would have been covered under Collision.

On another occasion, there was debris that fell off a tractor-trailer and hit my vehicle. Whether or not the debris hit the road,
it was the other driver's responsibility once it hit my vehicle (which was following behind). I'm not sure about a rock, but if
someone else hits debris that's already lying in the road, and it immediately hits your vehicle, then it is covered under your
Comprehensive, and it does not count against you. I am not sure if the other person is legally responsible in this case.

In none of the scenarios was it factored into how closely I was following, i.e. it did not matter.
Also, it didn't matter if it touched the road or not - only if it was already lying on the road versus being propelled/flung/dropped
from the other vehicle.

The best advice that I can give to you is to call your insurance company - just inquiring should not count against you.
Mine will open a claim, and if you find damages, then they will tell you how to proceed. If you decide to pay out of
your own pocket, then they will close the books on it. But be sure to keep the claim number handy just in case you
find more damage than you initially thought. In the final analysis, the more reputable ones will step up to the plate and do
what's right. That's what you pay them for. If yours doesn't, I would seriously consider getting another insurance company.

Company policies and state laws may vary. Good luck with your situation.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Get the repair, sometimes they don't seal the windshield property and it leaks water.
A repair done right is safe, lasting and barley visible.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well OP, if your thing is buttsex, bubble baths, and Barry Manilow, that is on you.

Seriously though, this is what comprehensive insurance is for... acts of God.  Call them and get the windshield fixed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just went through this scenario with my vehicle.
I live in Austin, and the occurrence happened on I-35.

I was driving behind a truck in the left lane going southbound. (BTW I did not watch your video.)
All of a sudden, there was a shower of rocks and mud and debris that came from underneath his
vehicle and struck the front of my vehicle. The rocks were not lying on the road - it literally came from
somewhere underneath his vehicle. I got his license plate number and called my insurance company.
FWIW I have Nationwide Insurance and have been a customer for 37 years - both home & auto.

The claim representative was able to look up the plate while I was on the phone and found out that
the truck was registered to an excavation company. Following is a summary of what was told to me.

Yes, they are responsible for the damage, Even if there is just a nick, they are legally responsible
to make you whole, i.e. repair the damage(s). I ended up having my hood, front bumper, roof, and front fenders
being repainted. Both of my headlights, hood emblem/badge, front windshield, grilles, and sunroof were replaced.
It was covered under my Comprehensive coverage and did not count "against" me. My insurance would pay for
the repair whether or not the other person/company would.

However, my insurance company did admit that it might be difficult for them to collect from the other person
and/or company due to a number of factors. I'll defer on the details since that is another subject altogether,
and it was not part of your original question. Although, having a video recording would definitely help your case.

I'll also address other issues that have been brought up in this thread that are related and that I've had direct
experience with. Following is a summary of what my insurance company has told me past dealings with them.

If you hit debris lying on the road, it is your responsibility to pay - either by yourself or under your Collision coverage.
I found this out when I hit a deer that had been hit by another vehicle. Since the other vehicle knocked the deer into
my vehicle, it was covered under my Comprehensive. If I had hit the deer while it was lying on the road (even after
being immediately hit by another vehicle), it would have been my fault, and it would have been covered under Collision.

On another occasion, there was debris that fell off a tractor-trailer and hit my vehicle. Whether or not the debris hit the road,
it was the other driver's responsibility once it hit my vehicle (which was following behind). I'm not sure about a rock, but if
someone else hits debris that's already lying in the road, and it immediately hits your vehicle, then it is covered under your
Comprehensive, and it does not count against you. I am not sure if the other person is legally responsible in this case.

In none of the scenarios was it factored into how closely I was following, i.e. it did not matter.
Also, it didn't matter if it touched the road or not - only if it was already lying on the road versus being propelled/flung/dropped
from the other vehicle.

The best advice that I can give to you is to call your insurance company - just inquiring should not count against you.
Mine will open a claim, and if you find damages, then they will tell you how to proceed. If you decide to pay out of
your own pocket, then they will close the books on it. But be sure to keep the claim number handy just in case you
find more damage than you initially thought. In the final analysis, the more reputable ones will step up to the plate and do
what's right. That's what you pay them for. If yours doesn't, I would seriously consider getting another insurance company.

Company policies and state laws may vary. Good luck with your situation.
View Quote

Wow, that's a lot of good info.  I figured there was probably much more to it than I knew.  I'll just talk to my insurance company and see.  And yeah, I don't know why more people don't have cameras.  Otherwise, it can just be your word against the other driver.  And people's memories of an accident can be very flawed.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Ok, for all the goofballs saying that I am blocking traffic, here is the full footage from the rear camera.  And I didn't remove the music so you all can enjoy even more of it!  

Rear Camera Footage

And with that, I am off to bed!

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've got USAA insurance.  Not sure about TX laws - haven't been here that long.  And there was no cars behind me - I do move over quickly in that case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of fail in that video

Most insurance policies have special ways of dealing with windshields. You won't get him to be held liable.

Get out of the left lane

I've got USAA insurance.  Not sure about TX laws - haven't been here that long.  And there was no cars behind me - I do move over quickly in that case.

In Texas, your windshield will not be covered by insurance.  There is also no point in fixing it.  I can tell you haven't been here long.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#32]
In a word, no. Unless it was from a gravel truck with an unsecured load. Even then you might have a hard time getting anything.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:59:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

In Texas, your windshield will not be covered by insurance.  There is also no point in fixing it.  I can tell you haven't been here long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most insurance policies have special ways of dealing with windshields. You won't get him to be held liable.
Get out of the left lane

I've had three (3) windshields replaced in Texas by my insurance company.
One was cited in my example above where it received a bunch of nicks.
Another was replaced when it received a rock chip that was bigger than a quarter.
And another one was replaced when a crack appeared from the heat and started spreading across the windshield.
Maybe it's the difference between your insurance company and mine?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#34]
LOL....
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:06:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I can empathize. Brand new Jeep wrangler got a crack from tire thrown rock at less than 200 miles on the odometer. If I wanted a replacement windshield from Jeep with the Jeep grille logo and the little Jeep in the corner it was close to $1000 for a windshield. A generic windshield is like $200.

The worst part is you get a small crack and you just drive with it knowing you will get another, for like 2 years until it finally runs all the way across so you have to replace it. Then you replace it and you get a new fucking chip in a week.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:17:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't think people should be responsible for rocks kicked up by their vehicle under most circumstances.  But when quadaxles are driving around without flaps on the back, fuck yeah they should.  Their choice to not run flaps makes it negligence, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:21:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get out of the left lane

Same here in WY, insurance didn't cover my wife's windshield. And if you are ever thinking of moving to WY, you might as well get it over with and chuck a rock at your own windshield, because it will happen eventually if you drive our Interstates, highways, county roads.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:15:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need some more appropriate driving music . . .

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Is that some kind of road rage prevention music?  I work with a guy who only listens to Hall & Oates when he drives for that reason, says it keeps him from getting road rage.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one likes Russian pop.  Play some Stravinsky if you want to represent.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:17:53 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm on my 4th windshield in my 2013 4Runner.

Only state worse on glass is Alaska.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Tailgating?  He wasn't even in my lane!  There's some silly remarks coming up in this thread.  And just what's wrong with my Prius?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems like the OP is following too close. Stop being an asshole tailgating sonofabitch, OP, and rocks won't crack your bitch ass prius windshield.

Tailgating?  He wasn't even in my lane!  There's some silly remarks coming up in this thread.  And just what's wrong with my Prius?

It's a Prius. That's what's wrong with it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:58:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get out of the left lane

Just take it to Safelite (they're the USAA glass shop) and get them to do a chip repair.  Do it before it cracks for real.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm on my 4th windshield in my 2013 4Runner.

Only state worse on glass is Alaska.
View Quote

Yup, I have the windshield on my Toyota FJ Cruiser replaced about twice a year. Last time I was going home from the replacement and caught a rock

Aviator
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
But you guys know everything (collectively).  I'm sure to get a better answer here than from a random USAA operator.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You fail at life constantly don't you? Wisdom doesn't always come with age...

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:39:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Shit here on the freeway I am constantly getting hit. I have about 10 chips and two cracks in my windshield. With 3-4 lanes, heavy traffic, 75-80mph speeds and the gravel trucks there is no avoiding chips, it would be pointless to replace the glass until it is really bad because it will just get damaged again.

What pisses me off is when fuckers in the left lane pass gravel truck at 1mph faster putting me in his wake of bouncing pebbles, get the fuck by. Then you have the morons that cannot keep off the break down lane and kick up all the pebbles that have collected, keep it between the lines dipshit! In heavy traffic there are few options, you are often locked in your position by other vehicles so backing off or moving over isn't an option.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#47]
How do you know it didn't fall from an airplane OP?   Large outdoor treadmills get rocks on them sometimes...
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#48]
You have got to be kidding me OP.
What the hell are you smoking?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Don't buy a jeep, jk's have a little more rake than prior models, but it's still basically a flat flyswatter moving at 70 mph. Fucking cracks all the time, i've put 5 windshields in since I got it in 2008, none since it's no longer my DD
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Unless it's from an unsecured load, no.

You might try sending the bill to the road department, see how far THAT gets you...
View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top