BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, to everyone suggesting fencing....  Besides the whole issue of me having to foot a bill for a lot of fencing to help stop a neighbor from breaking the law.  And besides the whole issue of chickens and ducks can still being able to get over them with clipped wings.  Let me explain to you my current fencing situation..  

My backyard is large and completely chain-link.  Albeit, it does a good job at keeping them out, they still manage to get in there.

The sides of my front yard are fenced too, one is a nice PVC plank fence that one neighbor put up around his entire property, and the other is ugly hog wire the chicken lady uses to keep her cow on her property.  She uses hog wire to help keep dogs out but all her birds can go right through it.  

View Quote

TTNMMSP

This Thread Needs More MS Paint
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
golden retriever
View Quote

pet wolverine

or kitty

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell hipster neighbour that you are running out of poultry recipes and ask her if she can suggest any.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife had a Boxer years ago and it killed my MIL's 6 geese,I've never seen a happier dog.he was covered in blood and white and blood stained feathers and had the biggest shit eating grin on his face

I hate my MIL and I love happy dogs,get a dog

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

In before someone doesn't realize chickens and ducks can fly. Wasn't there a jackass here that didn't know turkeys can fly or was that something I saw in a movie? It's hard to separate reality and ARF life sometimes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What ever happened to good fences make good neighbors?  

Actually, almost our entire property is fenced, execpt for along the road.  But you're an idiot if you think fences stop chickens and ducks.  

In before someone doesn't realize chickens and ducks can fly. Wasn't there a jackass here that didn't know turkeys can fly or was that something I saw in a movie? It's hard to separate reality and ARF life sometimes.

This guy tried.  Didn't work out so well.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, I'd file the complaint first.  3-4 acres isn't anything for that much bird.  She needs to clip wings and fence them in.  It's not your fault, however if she's the hippie type they may be her "pets" and could probably find someone legally to go with her on it.  Hippies hang together.

Or call in the complaint and tell the cops all chickens and ducks are actually dogs in disguise.  Problem will take care of itself when they visit.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Stayed a few days in an RV park that was overrun with ducks, and their by-products.  Disgusting, and you could not go outside without stepping in this nasty shit.  These animal lovers are mental and selfish.

And, FPNI
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I would have a freezer full of chickens and ducks by now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Let my 2 dogs play with live action toys on my property.

Borrow backpack leaf blower to blow bloody feathers back to the hippy lady property line so she can do hippy things like make feather pillows or feather dusters or something.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#10]

I'd be eating a free chicken or duck dinner whenever I felt like.

Free range bird makes a fine meal.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Neighbor lady across the pond from me had 15 Muscovy ducks. They pooped everywhere. The first time they crapped in my garage, the wife unit said they had to go.

Notice that I said the neighbor "had" 15 ducks. After some research, it turns out the Muscovy ducks are considered an invasive species where I live.

Depending on the type of ducks that you are dealing with, be careful, they could be protected under the Migratory Waterfowl Act.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Neighbor has only 3 or 4 acres and lets about 50 ducks and chickens free roam onto surrounding neighbors.

She's a big new age type hippie and thinks her "farm" is the best thing in the world. Has a website for it and everything. Sells it at farmer's market.

We moved in almost 2 years ago. The free roaming ducks and chickens have been a little bit of a nuisance but not bad and I tolerated it because my wife likes it and they keep ticks away.

Well we just spent 7k on new concrete for a driveway and sidewalk. Before we just had gravel. I didn't realize just how much the ducks shit on everything until we got concrete. Then last week they started getting into our flowerbeds. They pulled out most of the mulch, pulled up the weed barrier, and dug a bunch of holes. Our sidewalk was totally covered in dirt, mud, and mulch.

Called neighbor, no answer. Sent her texts with pictures and said she needs to keep her birds off our property from here on out. No response at all. But didn't see the birds for a few days. This weekend they were all over the flower beds again. Chased them off and texted/called her. No response. After chasing the fuckers off 7 times and texting her about it every time, I told her there won't be an 8th time. Immediate response.

No apology or nothing. Just said her husband accidently left them out and that she's trying to figure out a long term plan. Didn't even offer her "green thumb" to fix the damage.

This women is selfish. There are other things she's done that support that opinion.

Unfortunately shooting the birds could be an animal cruelty charge. We're out of the city but a deputy did tell me I have enough photo evidence to charge her with criminal charges. So I've got that in my back pocket.

She also runs one or two cows (had 3 when we moved here) but I learned a month ago that her deed specifically says no livestock is allowed on the property. So I have that in my back pocket too.

I know this shit sounds ridiculous because we're talking about chickens and ducks but now I gotta redo my flowerbeds to fix all the weed barrier. I don't have time for this shit. And we're talking about 50+ birds.

View Quote

If you are in MN IM me. My 2 Brittanys would permanently solve the problem in about 2 minutes. They are bird hunting machines. They have caught everything from crows to a damn barn swallow.  No bird is safe.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Put a sign out front "Free Ducks and Chickens"
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Go buy a hunting license, duck stamp and migratory bird permit.

Once all the ducks are gone, you probably won't have to worry about the chickens.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I was googling about all those rats you have on your property.

One of the first things I came up with was "Snap Traps. If you find yourself with a rodent infestation, the best remedy is to physically remove them. Traditional snap traps can be very effective for both mice and rats; however, you will want to keep them out of reach of your chickens."

You have no chickens but I'm quite sure rats love chicken feed on rat traps.

(I may or may not have had a problem in my youth with a neighbor's tom cat eating the food that I left out for my cat, and running my little girl cat off via threat of force to get at it.  No confirmation but I suspect if one was looking out of the front door peep hole just after setting food out with a mouse trap in it, they would find that cats can vertical jump VERY high, at least higher than can be seen via the peep hole, and would never come back and eat said free food left out in front of that door.)
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
GSD's love chickens.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
GSD's love chickens.
View Quote

Read at least the first page and try again.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GSD's love chickens.

Okay get a real German GSD (not a low drive useless American model)  
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Daisy Red Ryder BB gun, and a thousand BBs.  You won't kill the birds (and thus won't run afoul of the law), but you will teach them to stay away.

An alternative is a bass net.  We got one to deal with our chickens for when they got someplace they shouldn't be.  They're terrified of it, yet it can't hurt them.  As a plus, if your neighbor sees you running around your property, netting her birds and chunking them back over her fence, she may get the idea as well.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Are you in a fence IN stae or a fence OUT state?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Also, forget GSDs for killing chickens.  Find a rat terrier.  We had to rehome the one terrier-mix we had, after he busted into our coop and killed half my laying stock.  Didn't eat a one, just grabbed and killed and moved on to the next one.

Terriers are chicken-killing machines.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some people just can't be made happy.  Sunday dinner for a year, free for the taking, and they still bitch.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to bait in a cow?
View Quote

A couch, The View, BonBons.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some people just can't be made happy.  Sunday dinner for a year, free for the taking, and they still bitch.

Face in hand laughing
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 3:37:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My dog won't go after them.  I've tried.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you don't want to eat them, and you don't want to turn your dog loose on them. That rules out my first two suggestions.

You don't want to spend any money on fences, or even traps.

My only suggestion at this point is to either call your sheriff back and file charges, or get animal control involved. They should loan you some traps if nothing else.

My dog won't go after them.  I've tried.  

I've got a little (allegedly) daschund-chihuahua-beagle mix.  Buddy is the sweetest little dog in the world -- until he sees prey.  Then that little mofo turns into a killing machine.  Cockroaches, rats, mice, chickens, lizards, little snakes -- he'll take them out.  When he is out in the yard, he hunts.  We have all these free-roaming chickens in Key West.  One day one of those chickens apparently got over our 6-foot fence.  I see Buddy coming up the steps with something big in his mouth.  So I say to my husband, "WTF does that dog have in his mouth?"  He goes to look -- it's a chicken.  Anyway, I can loan Buddy, a proven chicken killer, to you for a week or two.

Actually what I would do with the neighbor and the filth is see if I can get one of those local news shows to come take a look.  They just love shit like this -- no pun intended.  If they can film her nasty front porch and yard and state that she sells at the farmer's market, it might put an end to her business.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 4:09:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can you play the trombone?
https://youtu.be/qs_-emj1qR4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you play the trombone?
https://youtu.be/qs_-emj1qR4

That guy has some really funny videos.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What ever happened to good fences make good neighbors?  

Actually, almost our entire property is fenced, execpt for along the road.  But you're an idiot if you think fences stop chickens and ducks.  

This guy tried.  Didn't work out so well.  

http://www.thegazette.com/storyimage/GA/20111123/NEWS/311239985/AR/0/AR-311239985.jpg

Loved that episode

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#28]
My mom has idiot neighbors that let their "pet" rabbits roam all over the place. A couple of the neighbors have already made them pay for replacement flowerbeds. My mom loves it when we bring our dog up there. My elkhound loves to hunt and ahunting she goes. She hasn't caught one yet because there are to many obstacles that the rabbit can get around easier than she can. But one of these days...

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#29]
It sounds like you wont shoot them just because a deputy told you it was illegal. Cops arent always right, and/or he may just be saying that to try to keep someone from shooting up the neighborhood. Do your own research. Contact the fish and wildlife dept. And see what they say.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Along with some fine entertainment, I'd wager.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a dog.  problem will solve itself

Along with some fine entertainment, I'd wager.

Oh yeah
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Op,

I live in a similar setup to you and had a similar problem only instead of chickens invading it was neighbors dogs and neighbors mules

Step 1: talk to neighbor which like you didn't work
Step 2: BB gun and 22LR - the animals got the idea after being shot on a few different occassions but some still came back
Step 3: My State laws allow for destruction of nuisance animals if they are harming live stock or crops.  I find it very hard to believe that your state doesn't have farmer protection laws like this on the book.  Sometimes cops don't know all the laws. I'd recommend you look this up for your State
Step 4: some of the mules just didn't get it, so animal control was called and like your neighbor they just so happened to be a hoarder with animals is shit conditions and got animals taken away and fined.  It stopped then

Op, if it was me, I'd just shoot them with #5-#8 bird shot and dispose of the bodies in the woods.  Coyotes will get rid of the evidence and none will be the wiser.   I mean there are a shit load of coyotes in your areas right?  RIGHT?  I mean you saw one just the other day snatch a duck right out of your yard.  Such a shame that was.  OP, THIS IS THE COUNTRY AND THERE ARE DIFFERENT RULES and this is one of them.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Are you near New Orleans?  I could loan you Henry the Fluffy Tailed Asshole for a bit.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It sounds like you wont shoot them just because a deputy told you it was illegal. Cops arent always right, and/or he may just be saying that to try to keep someone from shooting up the neighborhood. Do your own research. Contact the fish and wildlife dept. And see what they say.
View Quote

Checked into the laws.  

Anyone want to try to decipher the part in yellow??  

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Checked into the laws.  

http://i.imgur.com/VYZZYvW.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Checked into the laws.  

http://i.imgur.com/VYZZYvW.png

that part is a excerpt but its talking about actions committed.... on their property
my "neighbor" raises angus beef cattle, if I walked over hopped his fence and shot his bull
thats on me,    if my dog went over and ran a calf down... thats on me

but if his bull breaks through the fence and is at my front door and tearing shit up
thats on him...   and when I shoot said bull in my yard... still on him

her rights end at the property line if she doesn't have proper fencing thats on her
that being said... I fully understand the implications of doing something about it
free range organic hippies are fully capable of bringing the batshit crazy to your front step regardless of the rules of being a good neighbor or the law

ETA: tried searching for the meaning behind "want of a sufficient fence" just found more legal speak and further confusion  I could be wrong above
specifically out of New Jersey that went on to say that livestock running loose you are not legally able to "harm" said livestock on your property  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top