Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Its too bad the picture is so low quality. You maybe right about that. I wasn't sure what that was.

In my head you could use a spring to force pressure forward on the piston to get it going. Much like a few short stroke designs do to return the piston to its resting state. But Im not sure how the spring would handle the heat, and as this thread shows I have zero experience with a RPD

Its a super interesting gun. I wish I could find out some more about it.
View Quote

I've dug around to the extent of my internet search skills and I can literally find nothing about it other than that single image.

If I had a free parts kit I'd be more than willing to try and duplicate it without any information because I'm pretty sure I could make it work somehow, but they aren't free

ETA I called it an "op rod" and that would be the wrong terminology.  I think it's literally just a guide rod for a recoil spring with something added to the piston to engage the spring.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The machining itself isn't too challenging.  The blueprints available make it a little more challenging than it needs to be, they leave a lot to be desired.  So it's figuring out exactly what needs to be done that makes it more complicated than say an AK.
View Quote

If I can headspace a AK I can headspace this gal right? Pretty much same principle from what Im finding.

The good news is Im helping a buddy build a AK soon so Ill have a bit of practice pressing a barrel before getting to the RPD

He went all out and bought all sort of tools to do it. He said if I helped him hed lend me some of the tools, which will hopefully interchange. I figure even if most don't atleast I don't have to buy go and no go gauges
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy cow someone is selling USA barrels on Gunbroker now.  I might just have to get another kit...
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If I can headspace a AK I can headspace this gal right? Pretty much same principle from what Im finding.

The good news is Im helping a buddy build a AK soon so Ill have a bit of practice pressing a barrel before getting to the RPD

He went all out and bought all sort of tools to do it. He said if I helped him hed lend me some of the tools, which will hopefully interchange. I figure even if most don't atleast I don't have to buy go and no go gauges
View Quote

None of the "press fixtures" used for AKs are going to be any help.  It's a little bit of a challenge to support the receiver in a press but not insurmountable.  The headspacing is the same principle, but a little bit of a 3 legged stool since the locking wings are independent of each other, getting good, parallel contact between them takes a little more effort than the locking lugs on a rotating bolt that were turned in the same plane.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've dug around to the extent of my internet search skills and I can literally find nothing about it other than that single image.

If I had a free parts kit I'd be more than willing to try and duplicate it without any information because I'm pretty sure I could make it work somehow, but they aren't free

ETA I called it an "op rod" and that would be the wrong terminology.  I think it's literally just a guide rod for a recoil spring with something added to the piston to engage the spring.
View Quote

I was sort of thinking its some sort of rigged bipod. But like I said the pic isn't good enough to tell. You could very well be right.

I was sort of thinking the spring would be internal to the gas tube. But this is pure speculation on my part. With this thing so chopped up its sort of hard to see how everything works together to be able to determine what could be modified to forgo the spring in the stock.

Should I change this to a RPD pistol build

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Holy cow someone is selling USA barrels on Gunbroker now.  I might just have to get another kit...
View Quote

Looks like this is where Ill be purchasing too.

Just found a 16" that seems correctly profiled and has the extractor cut
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I've built a few. They are fun guns.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stop back in here in a few weeks or so, I very well may need all the advice I can get once I get ready to start throwing things together
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Stop back in here in a few weeks or so, I very well may need all the advice I can get once I get ready to start throwing things together
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are getting Project Guns to do the semi conversion all the hard stuff will be done.

Do you have a press (the cheappy harbor freight one is fine)? A dremel and some files? A decent drill press?

If you get a 16 inch barrel, ask if the barrel was profiled so that you can retain the bi pod. That how I did mine, it's worth it to keep the stock bipod. Also ask what they threaded the muzzle. No point in getting the factory 16mm threads. Get it threaded 5/8-24 so that you can run a decent flash hider or just run a suppressor like I did.

The nutsack adapter so that you can use 249 soft pouches is neat. I never bothered. The stock tin drums work great.

Buy another set of handguards. I burned one of mine up once.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you are getting Project Guns to do the semi conversion all the hard stuff will be done.

Do you have a press (the cheappy harbor freight one is fine)? A dremel and some files? A decent drill press?

If you get a 16 inch barrel, ask if the barrel was profiled so that you can retain the bi pod. That how I did mine, it's worth it to keep the stock bipod. Also ask what they threaded the muzzle. No point in getting the factory 16mm threads. Get it threaded 5/8-24 so that you can run a decent flash hider or just run a suppressor like I did.

The nutsack adapter so that you can use 249 soft pouches is neat. I never bothered. The stock tin drums work great.

Buy another set of handguards. I burned one of mine up once.
View Quote

Yes I have access to a nice press and also drill press at work. Dremel and files I personally have.

I may sort of put a word in a few peoples ear to see if I can find a mill someone would let me use. But Im not going to try too hard on that. When I do these builds I certainly work at my own pace and take many breaks for more beer. That maybe frowned apon with someone I don't know well

The barrel is actually on GB and looks like project guns is the seller. I saw it mentioned on their website when they do the shorties they thread them to 5/8-24 for more standard options on FHs and such.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if this is CA legal since it feeds from a belt?                                
View Quote
Belts are still considered "large capacity ammunition feeding devices".
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Less talk, more build!!!

So tagged, I love these build threads...
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Its too bad the picture is so low quality. You maybe right about that. I wasn't sure what that was.

In my head you could use a spring to force pressure forward on the piston to get it going. Much like a few short stroke designs do to return the piston to its resting state. But Im not sure how the spring would handle the heat, and as this thread shows I have zero experience with a RPD

Its a super interesting gun. I wish I could find out some more about it.
View Quote
I've had that one on the backburner too.

Might try asking over on the NRF, but there aren't a bunch of gun guys there. Also might try on the za forums, or maybe I will.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Landed a 16" barrel and have that on the way.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Landed a 16" barrel and have that on the way.
View Quote
 5/8-24?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was sort of thinking its some sort of rigged bipod. But like I said the pic isn't good enough to tell. You could very well be right.

I was sort of thinking the spring would be internal to the gas tube. But this is pure speculation on my part. With this thing so chopped up its sort of hard to see how everything works together to be able to determine what could be modified to forgo the spring in the stock.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/600x315/82/b5/cb/82b5cb1f40c2e7876b15203176c05adc.jpg
View Quote

You put a spring on the charging/oprod.

it uses the same setup as the DPM. When you convert that gun to semi, you move the recoil spring under the recoil tube just like in the DP28. That will return the op and bolt carrier to the closed position. This frees up the room in the rear receiver for the striker and spring you will put there.

You also have a little key pictured here that locks into the receiver allowing for compression of the spring.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:01:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll be back
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:02:32 AM EDT
[#18]
OST
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:05:31 AM EDT
[#19]
OP, I am officially jelly. Have you thought about putting a bump stock on it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You put a spring on the charging/oprod.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/DPM050.jpg

it uses the same setup as the DPM. When you convert that gun to semi, you move the recoil spring under the recoil tube just like in the DP28. That will return the op and bolt carrier to the closed position. This frees up the room in the rear receiver for the striker and spring you will put there.

You also have a little key pictured here that locks into the receiver allowing for compression of the spring.
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking

Nice find! Thanks for the picture
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ive considered that and or a crank trigger.

No idea what I want to do.

The bump stock would likely take a bunch of retrofitting

Im still not opposed to a RPD pistol
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
 5/8-24?
View Quote

I believe so.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I was trying to pace myself on this build to make it last a month or two. But Im gunna go ahead and order a receiver Monday

This way I have all associated parts I need, minus the conversion, which I am still working on
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking

Nice find! Thanks for the picture
View Quote

Ive built several DPMs, DTMs and SG43 kits. The only issue with the way i posted is you dont have room inbetween the op rod tube and receiver for a locking key. So you will need to drill into the receiver and put a locking pin there. Preferably something that can be unscrewed easily so you can removed the op rod in the field.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Barrel is in
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Did the manufacturer broach the ways the for the locking pieces?  It wasn't done on the 80% I had a few years (5?) ago.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did the manufacturer broach the ways the for the locking pieces?  It wasn't done on the 80% I had a few years (5?) ago.
View Quote

Im uncertain of what you mean. I only have a new barrel in as of right now. I do not have a receiver.

The barrel is cut for the extractor however
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Im uncertain of what you mean. I only have a new barrel in as of right now. I do not have a receiver.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the 100% semiauto receivers are cut for the locking pieces. (The 'flaps' on the Bolt carrier)
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

All of the 100% semiauto receivers are cut for the locking pieces. (The 'flaps' on the Bolt carrier)
View Quote

Yes that's what I figured. From my research the DSA made receivers seem to be good to go which is what I am going to roll with.

Im working on ordering that today but I may have to push that to tomorrow with as much work I have going on at the moment

I did get the time to get all the barrel accessories pins out. Holy fuck were they really in there. I got the front sight off but Im going to have to bring the barrel stubs into work to either cut or grind away the flash to get the rest of the accessories off. Those pieces are solidly mounted to the barrel stubs even without the pins
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/600x315/82/b5/cb/82b5cb1f40c2e7876b15203176c05adc.jpg
View Quote

How many people have a beltfed pistol? Of course you should do it!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How many people have a beltfed pistol? Of course you should do it!
View Quote

That option is not off the table as of yet
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Just noticed theres no gas port drilled.

Im sure I can measure the old one when I get it all apart, but does anyone know the spec off hand?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I never disassembled mine as it had a complete barrel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting. I was planning on pressing the barrel into the receiver and headspacing and then installing the accessories to the barrel.

Maybe it is a better idea to get that lined out first then press a complete assembly on
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#35]
gassing is an odd one. The rule of thumb is to drill a much smaller hole then normal, then open it up as needed.  Especially if you are doing a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes that's what I figured. From my research the DSA made receivers seem to be good to go which is what I am going to roll with.

Im working on ordering that today but I may have to push that to tomorrow with as much work I have going on at the moment

I did get the time to get all the barrel accessories pins out. Holy fuck were they really in there. I got the front sight off but Im going to have to bring the barrel stubs into work to either cut or grind away the flash to get the rest of the accessories off. Those pieces are solidly mounted to the barrel stubs even without the pins
View Quote

I've had to bore a couple barrel stubs out to get them off. A press is your friend on these guns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Interesting. I was planning on pressing the barrel into the receiver and headspacing and then installing the accessories to the barrel.

Maybe it is a better idea to get that lined out first then press a complete assembly on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to correct idea, install barrel, headspace, pin and then install the rest.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Okay

RPD receiver finally ordered today.

Still need to have the semi conversion done, but its about time to start pressing shit together

Ive also cleaned up some of the nastiness that was left behind from what I can assume was corrosive ammo being shot on the piston. The rest of the pieces don't have enough corrosion to merit cleaning up imho
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Okay

RPD receiver finally ordered today.

Still need to have the semi conversion done, but its about time to start pressing shit together

Ive also cleaned up some of the nastiness that was left behind from what I can assume was corrosive ammo being shot on the piston. The rest of the pieces don't have enough corrosion to merit cleaning up imho
View Quote

DSA actually had them in stock? I'm a little shocked.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorta sounded like they have them as incomplete receivers. Not sure how that all works for manufacturers. My card hasn't been hit yet and he said he would let his machinist know to get a serial number machined and get it going to me.

Ive been sitting here thinking since then if I could have got a custom serial number.

MAGA76239 would be fucking sweet. But I guess that ship has sailed
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got the email.

Receiver has shipped

Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sorta sounded like they have them as incomplete receivers. Not sure how that all works for manufacturers. My card hasn't been hit yet and he said he would let his machinist know to get a serial number machined and get it going to me.

Ive been sitting here thinking since then if I could have got a custom serial number.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well seems like you lucked out. last time I ordered one I waited close to a month.

Hum, maybe I need to build another RPD....
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Getting closer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Do you have a spare AR take down detent and spring? If you are confident in you ability to drill a straight hole YOu can drill one side of the rear take down pin receiver area and use a cut spring and detent to make the rear pin work. The other option is to drill and thread the rear pin and then use a button head machine screw to secure it in place.
If you plan to drill the receiver now is the time to do it before you pin things on.
Also has DSA started threading the holes for the drum bracket yet? if not, now is the time to do it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do you have a spare AR take down detent and spring? If you are confident in you ability to drill a straight hole YOu can drill one side of the rear take down pin receiver area and use a cut spring and detent to make the rear pin work. The other option is to drill and thread the rear pin and then use a button head machine screw to secure it in place.
If you plan to drill the receiver now is the time to do it before you pin things on.
Also has DSA started threading the holes for the drum bracket yet? if not, now is the time to do it.
View Quote

Fortunately there actually is a hole for a detent and spring on the left side of the rear take down hole. Also the bracket holes are threaded and I sourced screws for them today

Still alot of work to be done but atleast now I can see how everything works together. I loaded my first belt in my life today. Cool feeling

I'm gunna email dsa to see what they would charge for the conversion of the parts needed to go to semi auto. If I can get that lined out I will be ready to assembly this thing

Also. Is it normal for a 100 round belt not to be 100 rounds. I oddly had two rounds left over
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fortunately there actually is a hole for a detent and spring on the left side of the rear take down hole. Also the bracket holes are threaded and I sourced screws for them today

Still alot of work to be done but atleast now I can see how everything works together. I loaded my first belt in my life today. Cool feeling

I'm gunna email dsa to see what they would charge for the conversion of the parts needed to go to semi auto. If I can get that lined out I will be ready to assembly this thing

Also. Is it normal for a 100 round belt not to be 100 rounds. I oddly had two rounds left over
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW, DSA is actually finishing these out now. Back when they first came out they were not drilled for the detent and the drum bracket holes were not threaded. Also the rear end was not contoured right to fight polish lowers.

Plenty of belts have had links removed that were damaged and then put the belt back together.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Here is where we are at with it.

Feed mechanism is set up and looks correct to me.

Lower will need some trimming to fit, but Im going to contact a few companies about the conversion first. One of my good buddies father in law is a gun guy, also works at a large die cast company, he is my fall back if I cant get a company that has experience converting these to do it for a reasonable amount of cash.

Im excited for this gal

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I can't help you with the build, but you will love it when it's done.  I have a Vector and also a Project Guns build.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I prototyped a bump stock on my dsa 16 inch rod a few years ago. Worked ok but the gun went full auto anyways. Gun went back to dsa a few times and the last time they didn't even work on it. Thankfully my buddy was a manufacturer at the time and I was legal.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#50]
I like my DSA RPD. Loading belts suck, as well a getting all the crap out of the surplus drums and belts. Have fun!
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top