Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
think you can see the channel forming in this pic... not sure how old it is... could be from yesterday. Likely from this morning.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looters should be shot
View Quote

How about a free ride down the Oroville slip 'n slide?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
might be some more erosion near the Main spillway.  Not at the break but it looks like down stream from that a new channel seems to be forming left.

http://i.imgur.com/yfVOxOQ.png
View Quote

That from recently?

No good.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

"....might be tied the earths' magnetic field being at an extremely low level..." I don't understand why people aren't flocking to this guy and his theories. The magnetic field thing is the missing link we've been searching for all this time. Obviously, this guy gets it!
View Quote

"....might be tied the earths' magnetic field being at an extremely low level..."

Sooo...

This explains why my compasses don't work...

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That from recently?

No good.
View Quote
pretty sure both pics are from today.  Since the second one is from a helicopter and wind conditions yesterday would have prevented flight.

While not good... isn't really that bad either.  Erosion down hill from the break doesn't really hurt... that much... So long as the main spillway doesn't erode back toward the gate house it's fine.  For now that's been stable... I just hope it remains so.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A post completion project that pulled the ejection handles a pile of money in. Conclusions?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guess is that a ski jump at the current break in the spill way could be a temporary repair to the main spill way that would enable them to build a new spillway.  I'd think that the time to construct a temporary jump would be shorter than the additional excavation and potential blasting work required for a complete new spillway.

The other thing I was wondering was the auxiliary gates near the e-spill that were never finished.  With modern equipment I wonder if those could be connected as a new diversion tunnel.  The challenge there would of course be figure out how to do it if the lake levels are above the inlets.  

Also, If you are referring to the submerged inlets they were for another set of turbines or power plant feed. IIRC they ran into unsuitable conditions to finish them.  

A post completion project that pulled the ejection handles a pile of money in. Conclusions?  

They found the rock was not suitable for tunneling to build a second powerhouse.  The same fractured bedrock found in other parts of the dam site.  So they abandoned the second powerhouse project after they had built the inlet gates.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looters should be shot

on Live TV ?

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

on Live TV ?

View Quote

Trump tweet or YouTube
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How much would an inch of rain over 24 hours raise the inflow?
View Quote
I don't think it would raise it very much. They're still dumping a bunch of water, although they have reduced the spillway flow a bit. 
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Trump tweet or YouTube
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

on Live TV ?

Trump tweet or YouTube

both
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Some of the earth moving equipment has the Great Lakes Dredge & Dock company's logo on it. I'm not surprised they are part of this. They are a big company. They are getting ready to do a huge beach replenishment project in Ocean View and then the Outter Banks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd like to see a wide angle picture that includes the damn dam for once, so e-spill/spill/dam, all in one picture.  Is that so hard?  
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally!  That last link has what I'm looking for.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd like to see a wide angle picture that includes the damn dam for once, so e-spill/spill/dam, all in one picture.  Is that so hard?  
View Quote
from Wednesday but here

Album
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
might be some more erosion near the Main spillway.  Not at the break but it looks like down stream from that a new channel seems to be forming left.

View Quote
They can't win for losing. We may find out how firmly mounted those towers are to the hillside.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
think you can see the channel forming in this pic... not sure how old it is... could be from yesterday. Likely from this morning.

http://i.imgur.com/W8Xy4Y0.jpg
View Quote
That makes it look not as bad. Seems like it starts much lower on the broken lower section instead of right there at the main break. Still going to be bad.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That makes it look not as bad. Seems like it starts much lower on the broken lower section instead of right there at the main break. Still going to be bad.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/W8Xy4Y0.jpg  

From the photos, there has been water running down the hill outside the spillway for a couple of days.  But it's clean water, indicating it's not eroding anything.  This new flow might be an indication that flow has dug down to a point that it's on solid bedrock and is seeking a new flow path.  The new flow is eroding the dirt along that new flow channel and we see the muddy water as a result.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This was GDs biggest, and most education SAFE THREAD ever. And like every safe thread, in the end, it fails to deliver
View Quote

The dam isn't safe until May
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything below the break is likely to be totalled by June anyway. What matters is that the erosion doesn't make its way up the hill.

It sort of looks like it could undermine more of the hill and create problems later, long way to go still.

I still think the end of the upper spillway is sitting on genuine bedrock, they would have ripped the top off the outcropping that was clearly there until they got to something unrippable, otherwise there wouldn't have been a hump in the spillway. If you look at that erosion channel from the E-spill the weathered schisty stuff isn't that deep.

ETA-just saw the last pic, yeah that's not good.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#21]

I've been wondering if throttling back those gates would change the angle of the "waterfall" and get into some new dirt under the spillway. That thing does not need to get any shorter!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Got some new pics pulled off of CADWR Source  on my Album

Some good shots from bellow the main spillway of the dredging effort.  They're just using land based equipment to try to clear a channel close to the far bank opposite the main spillway discharge.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Some good shots from bellow the main spillway of the dredging effort.  They're just using land based equipment to try to clear a channel close to the far bank opposite the main spillway discharge.

http://i.imgur.com/8yPdAAh.jpg
View Quote

Holy shit.

Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Holy shit.

Good luck with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/8yPdAAh.jpg

Holy shit.

Good luck with that.

+1
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote

Why so negative about this???

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-live-updates-oroville-dam-during-oroville-evacuations-1487372201-htmlstory.html

"Although Butte County sheriff’s officials say there were no reports of looting during recent evacuations below Ororville Dam, there were a handful of burglaries and robberies that targeted fleeing residents, officials said.

The incidents began Sunday night, hours after authorities ordered more than 100,000 people to flee to high ground, according to the Butte County Sheriff’s Office.

About 6:30 p.m., deputies said, Cody Bowles, 27, and Lucia Ripley, 31, carjacked the vehicle of an Oroville resident who was packing it to flee. The resident left the car running and was moving in and out of the house with items when the couple jumped into the vehicle, officials say.

When the resident confronted the pair, they ran him over, seriously injuring him, officials say. Authorities are looking for the pair.

About half an hour later, authorities said, Teran Washington 25, and a 16-year-old boy used a shotgun to blast through the front door of a local market and tried to ransack the business before they were confronted by neighbors. Though the two got away, deputies later searched their home and say they found the shotgun and arrested Washington and his young accomplice.

The next morning, Michael Matlock, 31, was seen riding an ATV in Gridley and towing a gun safe, authorities say. Tailed by state Department of Water Resources employees who became suspicious, Matlock ran away when his vehicle got stuck on railroad tracks, investigators said. The ATV, the trailer and the gun safe had all been stolen, officials said.

Matlock was identified as the ATV driver and arrested on suspicion of burglary, vehicle theft and looting during an emergency, officials said."
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-live-updates-oroville-dam-during-oroville-evacuations-1487372201-htmlstory.html

"Although Butte County sheriff’s officials say there were no reports of looting during recent evacuations below Ororville Dam, there were a handful of burglaries and robberies that targeted fleeing residents, officials said.

The incidents began Sunday night, hours after authorities ordered more than 100,000 people to flee to high ground, according to the Butte County Sheriff’s Office.

About 6:30 p.m., deputies said, Cody Bowles, 27, and Lucia Ripley, 31, carjacked the vehicle of an Oroville resident who was packing it to flee. The resident left the car running and was moving in and out of the house with items when the couple jumped into the vehicle, officials say.

When the resident confronted the pair, they ran him over, seriously injuring him, officials say. Authorities are looking for the pair.

About half an hour later, authorities said, Teran Washington 25, and a 16-year-old boy used a shotgun to blast through the front door of a local market and tried to ransack the business before they were confronted by neighbors. Though the two got away, deputies later searched their home and say they found the shotgun and arrested Washington and his young accomplice.

The next morning, Michael Matlock, 31, was seen riding an ATV in Gridley and towing a gun safe, authorities say. Tailed by state Department of Water Resources employees who became suspicious, Matlock ran away when his vehicle got stuck on railroad tracks, investigators said. The ATV, the trailer and the gun safe had all been stolen, officials said.

Matlock was identified as the ATV driver and arrested on suspicion of burglary, vehicle theft and looting during an emergency, officials said."
View Quote

Thank God there was no looting.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Move on, nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why so negative about this???

View Quote

It might seem insignificant given the scale of the problem, if you've never drained a pond with the heel of your boot.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Chainsaws gassed and batteries ready, bar oil done, everythings sharpened and ready to cut. Hacked out the dam overflow again, on my property, came close to going over last storm. We'll see what happens with this one. Winch truck is ready too, got extra tarps and tie downs, weighted down the sheds, etc.

Fun living in a flash flood area with Eucalyptus trees that the city refuses to take care of, even though it's on their property. Hope they have good insurance, they're gonna need it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.  
Heavy winds and rain coming in.
Chainsaws gassed and batteries ready, bar oil done, everythings sharpened and ready to cut. Hacked out the dam overflow again, on my property, came close to going over last storm. We'll see what happens with this one. Winch truck is ready too, got extra tarps and tie downs, weighted down the sheds, etc.

Fun living in a flash flood area with Eucalyptus trees that the city refuses to take care of, even though it's on their property. Hope they have good insurance, they're gonna need it.
Big tree down in the road near my house. City already on it cutting it up.  

Rain is starting now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Video from Yesterday.  Think I see a very little beginning stream that is the channel on the left of the main spillway there.  Will post some screen caps in a sec.

Oroville Dam Aerial Video - Feb 16 2017

https://youtu.be/j8DYb_3XPF4 
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Screen caps from Yesterday's video.

Album
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:Posted: 2/11/2017 12:41:04 AM PST

I will take that bet.

These
http://nalfl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/KSC-69P-631-numbered.jpg
are the engineers that slide ruled their way to greatness.  

IM me for my address.
View All Quotes
Quoted:Posted: 2/11/2017 12:41:04 AM PST
Quoted:
One thing. The spillway was suppose to have been built on bedrock. But in the pics of the hole, you see dirt and rocks.

So now they say that the Espillway is built in bedrock.

I've got 5 Pmags saying bullshit.

Ed

I will take that bet.

These

IM me for my address.

Back on the 11th I put out a bet of 5 Pmags. threedogs took it. Well it seems to be a tossup as to bedrock and shitrock. So we've decided to call it a draw. But there has to be a winner. So I've decided to award two people in this thread Gold Memberships.

They can be anyone but shit posters or Oregon Duck fans.

Master_of_Orion will be the decider of winners. (so you can bitch at him)

Ed
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Did they rock in the channel the e-spillway overflow cut down the hill or did it just scower all the dirt away? Im guessing it's all scowered out, but it looks like freshly laid rock.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#35]

The third and fourth images...look at all of that water back there. Really gives it scale.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Simulation of the Emergency spillway breaching.

Oroville Spillway Failure Simulation

https://youtu.be/zPLq1RxXois

also... WHAT? 

Quoted:

Back on the 11th I put out a bet of 5 Pmags. threedogs took it. Well it seems to be a tossup as to bedrock and shitrock. So
we've decided to call it a draw. But there has to be a winner. So I've
decided to award two people in this thread Gold Memberships.

Ed
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The third and fourth images...look at all of that water back there. Really gives it scale.
View Quote

The second photo could you imagine if the whole thing let loose? Just topple the mountains
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Simulation of the Emergency spillway breaching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPLq1RxXois

https://youtu.be/zPLq1RxXois

also... WHAT? 
View Quote

You didn't get the memoo?

Ed
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Did they rock in the channel the e-spillway overflow cut down the hill or did it just scower all the dirt away? Im guessing it's all scowered out, but it looks like freshly laid rock.
View Quote

It's SCOURED out.  That blueish stone appears to be granite, and it also appears that the depth of the bed is relatively stable, there is still a lot of erosion at the banks of the channel.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Dunno if it's been mentioned in this thread or not, but my local (MT) TV station just reported that during the Oroville evac orders someone broke into a Vietnam vet's house and stole 20+ medals. So many POS' running around.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You didn't get the memoo?

Ed
View Quote
I 100% didn't even know there was a bet going on...  I've spent most of my time looking other places than Arfcom for pics and video to then bring into the thread. 

So I have no idea who would be deserving.  My first thoughts were ProFryan but he's already at platinum... or Chokey but he's a lifer... so... both of which I had to look up while writing this as I had no idea what level they were at.

Also... did someone up me?  I thought I was at Bronze... If someone did.  Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I 100% didn't even know there was a bet going on...  I've spent most of my time looking other places than Arfcom for pics and video to then bring into the thread. 

So I have no idea who would be deserving.  My first thoughts were ProFryan but he's already at platinum... or Chokey but he's a lifer... so... both of which I had to look up while writing this as I had no idea what level they were at.

Also... did someone up me?  I thought I was at Bronze... If someone did.  Thank you very much.
View Quote

See it's easy

Just pick somebody and let me know

Ed

eta; try doing this a dozen time a year
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Back on the 11th I put out a bet of 5 Pmags. threedogs took it. Well it seems to be a tossup as to bedrock and shitrock. So we've decided to call it a draw. But there has to be a winner. So I've decided to award two people in this thread Gold Memberships.

Ed
View Quote

Ed, please let me pick up one of the golds.  Doesn't seem right to me otherwise.  I'm good with whomever MoO chooses.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

See it's easy

Just pick somebody and let me know

Ed

eta; try doing this a dozen time a year
View Quote

ok.

Lorduss

and

HDLS

Looked back through the early pages of the thread and they stood out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I will take that bet.

These

IM me for my address.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One thing. The spillway was suppose to have been built on bedrock. But in the pics of the hole, you see dirt and rocks.

So now they say that the Espillway is built in bedrock.

I've got 5 Pmags saying bullshit.

Ed

I will take that bet.

These

IM me for my address.

Here's the bet.  Seems like a wash to me.

I've got @Lorduss.  Log out and log back in again.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
found this video about the Dam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8etbr_eCV48
View Quote

I made it 4 minutes before i just couldn't take that narrator's voice anymore. I kept expecting to hear George Noory break-in any second.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that a current picture or from the espillway overflow from before?

eta: covered
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's SCOURED out.  That blueish stone appears to be granite, and it also appears that the depth of the bed is relatively stable, there is still a lot of erosion at the banks of the channel.
View Quote

From what I recall, that's not granite as seen there. Granite underlies the dam, but what you're looking at is metamorphic country rock. Likely greenstone, which is typically altered basalt. 
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

ok.

Lorduss

and

HDLS

Looked back through the early pages of the thread and they stood out.
View Quote

Good man. No pressure see

Gold Members inbound

Ed
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top