Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is that a current picture or from the espillway overflow from before?
View Quote
As current as we can get.  From about 11 am today.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Good man. No pressure see
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30099/84557.GIF

Gold Members inbound

Ed
View Quote

Congrats guys!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Most threads are just little turdballs my dog wouldn't even sniff. Then, along comes a thread like this one, a gargantuan starfish stretcher, the kind you could take to school  to show your friends.

This arfcom is best arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The next morning, Michael Matlock, 31, was seen riding an ATV in Gridley and towing a gun safe, authorities say. Tailed by state Department of Water Resources employees who became suspicious, Matlock ran away when his vehicle got stuck on railroad tracks, investigators said. The ATV, the trailer and the gun safe had all been stolen, officials said.

Matlock was identified as the ATV driver and arrested on suspicion of burglary, vehicle theft and looting during an emergency, officials said."
View Quote

Congratulations Colombo, you cracked the goddamned case.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As current as we can get.  From about 11 am today.
View Quote

Looking at the latest pictures and video, I can't help but get one of those ominous feelings about the fact that I don't think anybody knows how deep of hole has been plunged into the earth at the midpoint of the main spillway where it's still intact and water falling into the side of the hill.  Also the fact that now the other side of the broken part of the spillway is starting to show signs of a new stream of water along side it, I just keep waiting to watch the whole thing slide into the river in a massive landslide.  I realize it's supposed to be on solid rock, but from our earlier discussions about the rotten rock at the E Spillway weir base, it makes me wonder how much water is getting injected by force into the fissures around that area.  I hope it holds out, but what really concerns me is based on historical data, we haven't even begun to reach the part of the year where the dam REALLY fills up.  That's several more months of pounding that part of the hill with water outflow of 20K to 100K per second.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The opening of a new channel on the left does pose a risk of erosion that headers/horseshoes its way up.   The right side (as we are looking at it) got to a certain piont and stopped, but obviously that mountain is anything but uniform in its structure and weathering/fracturing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-live-updates-oroville-dam-during-oroville-evacuations-1487372201-htmlstory.html

"Although Butte County sheriff’s officials say there were no reports of looting during recent evacuations below Ororville Dam, there were a handful of burglaries and robberies that targeted fleeing residents, officials said.

The incidents began Sunday night, hours after authorities ordered more than 100,000 people to flee to high ground, according to the Butte County Sheriff’s Office.

About 6:30 p.m., deputies said, Cody Bowles, 27, and Lucia Ripley, 31, carjacked the vehicle of an Oroville resident who was packing it to flee. The resident left the car running and was moving in and out of the house with items when the couple jumped into the vehicle, officials say.

When the resident confronted the pair, they ran him over, seriously injuring him, officials say. Authorities are looking for the pair.

About half an hour later, authorities said, Teran Washington 25, and a 16-year-old boy used a shotgun to blast through the front door of a local market and tried to ransack the business before they were confronted by neighbors. Though the two got away, deputies later searched their home and say they found the shotgun and arrested Washington and his young accomplice.

The next morning, Michael Matlock, 31, was seen riding an ATV in Gridley and towing a gun safe, authorities say. Tailed by state Department of Water Resources employees who became suspicious, Matlock ran away when his vehicle got stuck on railroad tracks, investigators said. The ATV, the trailer and the gun safe had all been stolen, officials said.

Matlock was identified as the ATV driver and arrested on suspicion of burglary, vehicle theft and looting during an emergency, officials said."
View Quote

And there is still no word on how many thieves ended up face down in a fast moving river
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I made it 4 minutes before i just couldn't take that narrator's voice anymore. I kept expecting to hear George Noory break-in any second.
View Quote

That's one more minute than I could take.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dunno if it's been mentioned in this thread or not, but my local (MT) TV station just reported that during the Oroville evac orders someone broke into a Vietnam vet's house and stole 20+ medals. So many POS' running around.
View Quote

Firing squad
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Gold Members inbound

Ed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok.

Lorduss

and

HDLS

Looked back through the early pages of the thread and they stood out.

Gold Members inbound

Ed

Given that bureaucrats are now making decisions this is unlikely to go well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#13]
When they get to the point of rebuilding the spillway, is it reasonable to think they can effect repairs that will make the spillway usable in one season? Not sure how much time they have to prep and stage materials, through July or August perhaps when inflow is low enough for the power plant outlets to maintain level for the rest of the season?

Is a water bridge a viable alternative? Would it be viable for an interim solution until a solid bed is constructed? Is it even reasonable for the engineering plan and approvals to be completed by mid summer?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like Monday is going to be very interesting. If the forecast holds true for Monday depending on the snow elevation we could see that lake go up pretty quick
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ok.

Lorduss

and

HDLS

View Quote

Good call.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ok.

Lorduss

and

HDLS

View Quote

Great picks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Looking at the latest pictures and video, I can't help but get one of those ominous feelings about the fact that I don't think anybody knows how deep of hole has been plunged into the earth at the midpoint of the main spillway where it's still intact and water falling into the side of the hill.  Also the fact that now the other side of the broken part of the spillway is starting to show signs of a new stream of water along side it, I just keep waiting to watch the whole thing slide into the river in a massive landslide.  I realize it's supposed to be on solid rock, but from our earlier discussions about the rotten rock at the E Spillway weir base, it makes me wonder how much water is getting injected by force into the fissures around that area.  I hope it holds out, but what really concerns me is based on historical data, we haven't even begun to reach the part of the year where the dam REALLY fills up.  That's several more months of pounding that part of the hill with water outflow of 20K to 100K per second.
View Quote
I was wondering the past few day that if the espill is in danger of another flow if they wouldn't just push that road they built into the hole and concrete over it.  They could easily build another one there in about an hour if needed.

On second thought I was just looking back trying to find this photo and noticed the painted line on the roadway just before the drop off.

An excavator has pulled up the roadway a bit in that location as shown:

Looks like they have finally started concentrating on this.  Two pumpers and an excavator working the area:

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From what I recall, that's not granite as seen there. Granite underlies the dam, but what you're looking at is metamorphic country rock. Likely greenstone, which is typically altered basalt. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's SCOURED out.  That blueish stone appears to be granite, and it also appears that the depth of the bed is relatively stable, there is still a lot of erosion at the banks of the channel.

From what I recall, that's not granite as seen there. Granite underlies the dam, but what you're looking at is metamorphic country rock. Likely greenstone, which is typically altered basalt. 
Good info!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

To the best of my knowledge no mining equipment ever broke through ice at the Centralia mine. Winters here are relatively mild at +/- 400 feet above sea level. I've never seen a river here ice over in over 50 years here.
There were several land slides of spoils through the years and a large walking dragline sunk in a soft spot once. The tub was tilted about 30 degrees from level. It walked free after undermining material and re-constructing a new pad under the opposite side of the sunken portion of the tub.

Link to video?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some history of the dam
The bucket wheel excavator (shown bottom right) was built by the company I worked for in the mid 60's.

More history

Interesting information.
Were you involved with the tear down and relocation?
That Krupp bucket wheel excavator system ended up at the Centralia, WA coal mine where it was used for about 25 years or more for pre-stripping coal seams.
It was used in 2 different pit areas as I recall.
I started work at the mine when it was in the second area and spent many an hour keeping it maintained and operating.
Was it that rotary excavator or a big Dragline I saw a video of that broke thru the ice at Centralia? They used about 50 rock trucks to pull it out iirc

To the best of my knowledge no mining equipment ever broke through ice at the Centralia mine. Winters here are relatively mild at +/- 400 feet above sea level. I've never seen a river here ice over in over 50 years here.
There were several land slides of spoils through the years and a large walking dragline sunk in a soft spot once. The tub was tilted about 30 degrees from level. It walked free after undermining material and re-constructing a new pad under the opposite side of the sunken portion of the tub.

Link to video?
God, it was years ago
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry. Had to fix Mom dinner.

HDLS. Log out and in.

Another bet I'm happy to pay

Ed
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Throw him and all of the other looters into the holes that mother nature so graciously provided below the espillway.   I'm dead fucking serious, the world would be a better place.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Firing squad
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dunno if it's been mentioned in this thread or not, but my local (MT) TV station just reported that during the Oroville evac orders someone broke into a Vietnam vet's house and stole 20+ medals. So many POS' running around.

Firing squad

I look at it this way.  The criminals that used the spillway disaster to take advantage of other citizens should get to see the spillway up close by making them hop in the water at the exit of the spillway gates.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This was GDs biggest, and most education SAFE THREAD ever. And like every safe thread, in the end, it fails to deliver
View Quote
 Not enough people died, eh snowflake?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I look at it this way.  The criminals that used the spillway disaster to take advantage of other citizens should get to see the spillway up close by making them hop in the water at the exit of the spillway gates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Firing squad

Give them a shovel and make them clear a channel back to the the turbine outlets.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Throw him and all of the other looters into the holes that mother nature so graciously provided below the espillway.   I'm dead fucking serious, the world would be a better place.
View Quote

Nah, just wait till they fire up the spillway to 100k again and put them on the mother of all slip & slides!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Sublime - April 29, 1992 (Rodney King riots)
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C45TuYTUcAAeoJE.jpg
View Quote

Stripper and Pimp

Ed
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#30]
The end is nigh
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nah, just wait till they fire up the spillway to 100k again and put them on the mother of all slip & slides!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd pay twenty bucks to watch it! 
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Stripper and Pimp

Ed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C45TuYTUcAAeoJE.jpg

Stripper and Pimp

Ed
joker and harleyquin
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
joker and harleyquin
View Quote

I saw that movie. I needed shots after watching her

Ed
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
why build ski jump in main spillway? you think it would be better to build a gizmo rather than working to repair the structure?

Aux spillway lets you do whatever you want as you please without depending solely on the Espill or working in the spillway with the gates under a full head. Fuck that

FBHO because it needs to be said
View All Quotes
Quoted:
why build ski jump in main spillway? you think it would be better to build a gizmo rather than working to repair the structure?

Aux spillway lets you do whatever you want as you please without depending solely on the Espill or working in the spillway with the gates under a full head. Fuck that

FBHO because it needs to be said

Quoted:
When they get to the point of rebuilding the spillway, is it reasonable to think they can effect repairs that will make the spillway usable in one season? Not sure how much time they have to prep and stage materials, through July or August perhaps when inflow is low enough for the power plant outlets to maintain level for the rest of the season?

Is a water bridge a viable alternative? Would it be viable for an interim solution until a solid bed is constructed? Is it even reasonable for the engineering plan and approvals to be completed by mid summer?

Since the two are related I'm putting both in the same post.

WWace - My thinking on the ski-jump is based on what Piratepaste40 is mentioning above...they will probably have a very short amount of time this year to actually do repairs to the main spillway this year, if at all.   If they only have a few months where the water level can be managed < 850' by the hydroelectric portion of the dam, perhaps they can build the ski jump to allow it to still be functional with less damage down stream until a new spillway can be built in a new location, assuming the current spillway is beyond repair.  My guess is that it could take the better part of a year or more to design and build a new spill way.  Likely they'd need to build a coffer dam in the current lake at low levels to provide them a dry work site to do the major excavations needed.  If the new spillway were to go in near the parking lot, remember that the bed rock (or whatever we're calling the rock) is right near the surface, meaning some SIGNIFICANT excavation would be required to get to down to the level needed for flood control above 850'.

To me the ski jump would be something to buy time if it is determined that the main spill way would be too fragile to continue to use long term in its current state.   I guess it could be a viable long term plan if they removed the remainder of the original spillway and allowed the water to splash down on the newly exposed rock that was opened up after the failure we've seen.  Based on the latest flows it seems like it has somewhat stabilized, but we won't know until they shut down flow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So you remember the GE Amplydine on the excavator.
Did you know an electrical guy who may have worked on the excavator at Oroville named Don Geraci?
View Quote

Almost 50 years ago I can't remember hardly anyone's name. That name doesn't ring a bell. I didn't work in the power end of things, I was a draftsman in the control end.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lot's of greenstone in the foothills.  Win the gold prices drop, the underground mines stay afloat mining greenstone for railroad track ballast and other uses.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Something I pulled together really quick comparing the current inlet to the spillway gates to the original picture at its commissioning.  The photos aren't from exactly the same place, but I overlayed the shape today onto a rotated and sized version of the original picture and they match up pretty closely.

Recent:

Attachment Attached File

Original:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I am watching FOX40 and there was a reporter at the bottom of the spillway and there was a lot of dirty water coming over that big rock. First shot it was clear then they cut to another scene, when they came back it was that way. Span of about 15sec in between.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Since the two are related I'm putting both in the same post.

WWace - My thinking on the ski-jump is based on what Piratepaste40 is mentioning above...they will probably have a very short amount of time this year to actually do repairs to the main spillway this year, if at all.   If they only have a few months where the water level can be managed < 850' by the hydroelectric portion of the dam, perhaps they can build the ski jump to allow it to still be functional with less damage down stream until a new spillway can be built in a new location, assuming the current spillway is beyond repair.  My guess is that it could take the better part of a year or more to design and build a new spill way.  Likely they'd need to build a coffer dam in the current lake at low levels to provide them a dry work site to do the major excavations needed.  If the new spillway were to go in near the parking lot, remember that the bed rock (or whatever we're calling the rock) is right near the surface, meaning some SIGNIFICANT excavation would be required to get to down to the level needed for flood control above 850'.

To me the ski jump would be something to buy time if it is determined that the main spill way would be too fragile to continue to use long term in its current state.   I guess it could be a viable long term plan if they removed the remainder of the original spillway and allowed the water to splash down on the newly exposed rock that was opened up after the failure we've seen.  Based on the latest flows it seems like it has somewhat stabilized, but we won't know until they shut down flow.
View Quote

There's one problem to using the spillway in the condition it is in now and also want to run the turbines.

The way the flow spreads out at the river, distributes the sediment up stream to. Which is one of the things their trying to clear up now.
That right bank does not appear to be down to bedrock yet and will continue to erode. Putting more crap (dam technical term) where they don't want it.

Ed
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or the inlet side would work also. 
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I am watching FOX40 and there was a reporter at the bottom of the spillway and there was a lot of dirty water coming over that big rock. First shot it was clear then they cut to another scene, when they came back it was that way. Span of about 15sec in between.
View Quote

Rut-roh. Are the beating feet or did they not even notice?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Congratulations Colombo, you cracked the goddamned case.
View Quote

Columba busts Matlock...irony....
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looks like they didn't notice.

Here is the before and after screenshot's.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Would you call these people: "Butte Pirates?"

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/KLa2OJD.png
http://i.imgur.com/x06DWzr.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New erosion point. Question is what/where is it. I am guessing under the actual spillway as it is coming out of both sides??
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:31:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

New erosion point. Question is what/where is it. I am guessing under the actual spillway as it is coming out of both sides??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It appears to be that big ass rock that has been splitting the flow down the busted spillway. Maybe that sucker is finally about to drop into the pile in front of the turbine outlets. That is going to suck to move if so.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It appears to be that big ass rock that has been splitting the flow down the busted spillway. Maybe that sucker is finally about to drop into the pile in front of the turbine outlets. That is going to suck to move if so.
View Quote

Cofferdam's done!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where is the report? My google fu must be weak tonight but I can't find anything from Fox40 today aside from a snippet about some scammers posing as evacuees.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the left side of the screen, the new channel of spillover from the broken spillway noticed earlier today is now flowing clear.  An indication that flow has hit bedrock already.

The runoff on the outside of the wall on that side has gone from clear to muddy.  Has that flow undermined a bank to the outside that has fallen in?  It doesn't look like the flow upstream has dug deeper because the water is clear upstream in photos.  Maybe something related to the flow in that new channel is causing the flow by the wall to shift it's course and pick up dirt?  Maybe reducing the flow through the floodgates is causing the water to no longer make the jump and it's hitting in the big hole and carrying more sediment out of there from underneath the spillway flow.

And on the big rock something has given way on the right side of the spillway that has exposed dirt to the flow.  Possibly another floor channel of the spillway has come up and water is getting under it, washing the fill out from underneath.  That could be related to the flow reduction and also the muddy water running down the outside of the spillway wall.

Or another side panel has finally failed and the flow is taking out more fill there.  Whatever it is, it's on the lower portion of the spillway, which is already written off as a total loss.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

See it's easy

Just pick somebody and let me know

Ed

eta; try doing this a dozen time a year
View Quote

I personally think op should be gifted something, just for creating this thread.
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top