Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have one stamped/made in 1919.
View Quote

Yep, that would be an early one...don't forget the BAR is the M1918...

I'd have to look up when they stopped with the butt cups, but having one complete is essential in telling the BAR story. A lot of them were later converted to normal BAR belts by removing the cup, and sewing on regular mag pockets...

Like I said, early on there was a bewildering variety of belts...the BAR man belt, the 1st Assistant gunner belt, the 2nd assistant gunner belt, and a variety of bandoleers, right side and left side...some of them are pretty scarce.

Like I said, once you have a BAR, if you are a "completest" you can spend a long time gathering all the various goodies to go with it...

Oh, and if you want cool, there was a pronged flash hider that looks bad ass, I want to say the M37 maybe, IIRC, but anyway, you can take off the standard hider and put on the pronged one, looks cool. But not correct for a WWII BAR...
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
are you able to fire modern commercially loaded 30.06 in these or are they similar to garands?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
are you able to fire modern commercially loaded 30.06 in these or are they similar to garands?
View Quote

The BAR has an adjustable gas port, so I guess you could, but I wouldn't chance it, just straight M2 Ball or equivalent is all I put through it...
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I love my transferable C&R Swedish Kg m/37 BAR. The gun is in 6.5 Swedish not 30.06 but is much smoother shooting and its got the upgrades the US should have done with the 1918A2 (quick change barrel, pistol grip, better sights, bipod located in the correct spot).

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Swedish-m37-right-small.jpghttp://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Swedish-m37-left-small.jpg
View Quote
whoa that is awesome
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Overrated.  To light to be a worthwhile machine gun.  Magazine capacity to small, lacked a quick change barrel.  To heavy to be a rifle.  Overly complex in that Browning sort of way.

A 30 cal Bren would have been outstanding.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Overly complex in that Browning sort of way.
View Quote

Slap yourself.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Overrated. To light to be a worthwhile machine gun.  Magazine capacity to small, lacked a quick change barrel.  To heavy to be a rifle.  Overly complex in that Browning sort of way.

View Quote

The red, disagree...it was a game changer when it was developed, but it basically came along too late to see much use in WWI...

And as developed it was a great concept...the original could fire either semi, or auto...the WWII issue BAR could only fire at 2 rates of full auto...they hung a lot of extra stuff on it in the 1918A2 flavor, the bipod, flash hider, etc....the gys in the field ditched those pieces pretty rapidly to make it lighter...

The blue....don't disagree, its got a lot of pieces, and sometimes can be a bit of a puzzle to put back together, especially the semi auto version....but just like a '57 Chevy, its old, clunky, and not sleek....but its cooler than shit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Overrated.  To light to be a worthwhile machine gun.  Magazine capacity to small, lacked a quick change barrel.  To heavy to be a rifle.  Overly complex in that Browning sort of way.

View Quote
 first off remember, the BAR was designed around the turn of the century. It's easy to look back 100  years and say that. 
The positive aspects of the design kept it in service for a long time. most notably it's accuracy and controlabillity in full auto fire. while I've never fired one I stood next to one while several hundred rounds were cranked off. It's impressive despite all it's flaws
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Honestly, I've just never been a fan.  I respect it for its place in history, but I just don't understand the usefulness of the platform.  It's too heavy to a battle rifle, but lacks the capacity and cooling to be a truly effective LMG.  The 20 round mags are pointless.  If it was setup as a beltfed, it would make sense.  And if it had a barrel that could be swapped, same thing.

IMO, the 1919 is the better gun.  Yeah, it's not really something you're going to pick up and carry around, occasionally firing it from your shoulder.  But at least it knew what it was and what it's purpose was.  And it did that job well.

The BAR, while a historic piece in firearms evolution, just is pointless to me
View Quote

Nothing says fuck you quite like a full-auto rifle (not LMG, rifle) with 20 rds of 30.06.  The very definition of overkill for a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#10]
98kGuy wrote:

The BAR has an adjustable gas port, so I guess you could, but I wouldn't chance it, just straight M2 Ball or equivalent is all I put through it...
View Quote

The BAR gas regulator has 3 positions. You were supposed to start off with the smallest hole, and open it up to the 2nd and 3rd positions as the gas system became fouled. These of course were designed for military, and not commercial ammunition.

There are also at least 3 different types of gas regulators. The early ones needed the use of a tool to change the positions, or to remove the regulator for cleaning. The final version (postwar) is the one you want. It has a large hole, so that you can insert a cartridge for leverage if it becomes hard to turn. You can also remove it by simply unscrewing.

The semiautomatic OOW M1918A3 needs more gas to function properly, compared to the FA model. Regulators for the M1918A3 need to have all 3 of their holes opened up to a larger size. I suppose the largest hole of the issue regulator would work like the smallest hole of the modified OOW regulator. But then you wouldn't have any margin to open it up further.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My dad did too. He was elected for his size, he said. It didn't sound like a popular job all the time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad carried a BAR in Korea during the war. He said it was heavy but reliable.

My dad did too. He was elected for his size, he said. It didn't sound like a popular job all the time.

One of my dad`s friends was a BAR gunner in europe at the end of WW II.  He hated it. One,  he hated the weight ,and He told my dad that BAR gunners were the first guys the japanese and germans tried to kill because they hated it so much.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

One of my dad`s friends was a BAR gunner in europe at the end of WW II.  He hated it. One,  he hated the weight ,and He told my dad that BAR gunners were the first guys the japanese and germans tried to kill because they hated it so much.
View Quote

"They hated it so much." Makes me like the gun more.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought Nazis and Japs liked full auto 30-06 delivered accurately.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#13]
My class III friend has a 1917 BAR. It's a hoot to shoot!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#14]
My kid, made a mistake in an earlier post he was 14 in these vids.

Cant seem to post video, not sure what I'm doing wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjS-SuhK2bk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPMj5gXrKjU&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A gun so good we named a beer after it, which we released actually yesterday, our "B.A.R. IIPA". Our year rounder is its little brother the Garand IPA. If you notice, we put the rifle kind of hidden in  the I, of "IPA"

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9c43bb_b69cbd9adee24597a3639447c04d57cd~mv2.png/v1/fill/w_168,h_252,al_c,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/9c43bb_b69cbd9adee24597a3639447c04d57cd~mv2.png
View Quote

Do you ship? I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#16]
First BAR is best BAR

JMB's son Val.

Finns used the Swedish M21 in the Winter War.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#17]
That middle picture is awesome! Shows the original gunners belt and the A-gunner with his belt and what looks like the right and left 3-pouch bandoliers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Ive shot one before in FA

Thing is YUGE and heavy though. I would have hated to carry it.

Thompson was more fun, but the FA BAR was the only one Ive seen in person
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#19]
OST.

Im working on a reweld of a FND right now.

Love the old Browning designs.

Next to build is the upside down belt fed BAR. The MAG58
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OST.

Im working on a reweld of a FND right now.

Love the old Browning designs.

Next to build is the upside down belt fed BAR. The MAG58
View Quote

Did someone say "belt fed BAR"?

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top