Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the new mower.  IMO, before the dealer leaves your property, if you have tall enough grass, mow a little and see if the mower mows level and at the height you desire (in case the dealer needs to manually adjust the deck).  Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been mowing our acre of lawn and field with my Husky for at least 10 years and it has been a rock all this time. I won't hesitate to get another when it's time. We actually mow about a half acre regularly and once a month the wife goes out and beats it up by mowing the other half that has 2' tall grass.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice mower OP. I got this one new last year. 26 HP Kohler, 54" deck. It has a total of 5 hours on it. GD told me it was gonna blow up and the blades fly off and kill my dog. I love it takes me 20 minutes to mow.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a ~$1500 Husqy-built Craftsman that's a few years old now. So far, so good.

I mow 3/4 acre of pretty flat grass with it.

I'm not cool enough to give a shit about my lawn mower.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
My Husky is MZ52LE with the 23 Kawasaki. I guess it's the same as the diy stores except for the engine. Is there any other differences?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well... I bought a new one. The GTH52XLS

The guy made me a deal I just couldn't refuse.

Sticker was $3399

I bought it for $2000 + tax ($2120) plus my used Sig SP2022 + 6 mags. (approx $500 value)

So...  I bought a $3400 tractor for $2500... AND he's going to deliver it for free. (Wednesday)

I think I did alright.
Never would have gotten a deal like that from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Pics:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/IMG-0229-155413.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/IMG-0231-155414.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/IMG-0232--2--155415.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/IMG-0233--2--155416.JPG
View Quote

That's a good deal. Be religious about maintenance and upkeep and you'll get many years of service out of it.

Having owned a Husqvarna with that style fenders...be very careful not to spill gas, it'll erase the height numbers
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I just googled a John Deere 455.
Built 1992-2001 ? lol

Are you kidding me ?

I'm not buying a 20 year old tractor for $2500.

I'm mowing a lawn, not tilling a farm.There's 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could have found a JD 445 for what you paid. 300 lbs heavier from all the extra steel, Fuel injected, water cooled, power steering, hydraulic lift 60" deck, strong enough to handle a loader and a plow.  

For an extra $500 you could step up to a 455 diesel that will run for 30 years.

I just googled a John Deere 455.
Built 1992-2001 ? lol

Are you kidding me ?

I'm not buying a 20 year old tractor for $2500.

I'm mowing a lawn, not tilling a farm.There's 
There's a reason those 455's hold their value. The Husky is disposable and not even comparable to a 20 year old 445/455. Sorry you got screwed bud, but it's the truth. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well... I bought a new one. The GTH52XLS

The guy made me a deal I just couldn't refuse.

Sticker was $3399

I bought it for $2000 + tax ($2120) plus my used Sig SP2022 + 6 mags. (approx $500 value)

So...  I bought a $3400 tractor for $2500... AND he's going to deliver it for free. (Wednesday)

I think I did alright.
Never would have gotten a deal like that from Lowe's or Home Depot.
View Quote

As soon as I got mine, I lubed the front wheel bearings and deck spindles. They have grease in them from the factory but they're not full.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As soon as I got mine, I lubed the front wheel bearings and deck spindles. They have grease in them from the factory but they're not full.
View Quote

That should have been done by the dealer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There's a reason those 455's hold their value. The Husky is disposable and not even comparable to a 20 year old 445/455. Sorry you got screwed bud, but it's the truth. 
View Quote

So, in the $3K lawn/garden tractor market, there's twenty-year-old JD VS the new stuff. If you bought the new stuff, you got screwed. Got it.
Twenty-year-old used stuff is a crap shoot, even if it is JD. A machine isn't "disposable" unless you can't get parts for it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably so but it's routine maintenance, so I did it; 1/2 tube of grease VS hauling it 15 miles to the dealer and arguing with them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn...I knew I should have bought that 20 year old Mercedes.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Damn...I knew I should have bought that 20 year old Mercedes.  
View Quote
John Deere and Mercedes aren't comparable  

What can a 20 year old 455 do? Try this on a big box mower

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Comsumer Husqvarna mowers are just high priced MTDs that look fancy. There is no functional or quality difference. And yes, I have experience with many.
View Quote

Husky is MTD.

Husqvarna are not Husky, nor MTD.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Husky is MTD.

Husqvarna are not Husky, nor MTD.
View Quote

I believe Husqvarna mowers are made by AYP. We used to call our Husqvarna dirt bikes "Huskys".  "Huskies" would probably be a better spelling.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Im jealous of your red gas cap.  

At least OP has a new warranty.  I would have gotten a nice JD318 for that price.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

At least OP has a new warranty.  I would have gotten a nice JD318 for that price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's not a gas cap it's diesel.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This.

Neighbor has a Husqvana, it's junk.

Get a Cub Cabet or Kubota, I've had both, they would run cycles around the neighnor's mower, his gear box is going out on it.
View Quote

The Cub Cadets are box store specials like most everything else now days.  If you want a high end lawn tractor you're going to have to pay high end prices and to to a tractor dealer like JD or Kubota.  The OP did just fine for what he purchased and what he will use it for.  I have a Craftsman in similar size and it is on its 6th year and mows 2 acres just fine.  When it does die I'm getting a front deck zero turn.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Tractor was delivered today...

Old beater sold two hours later for $100 more than I paid for it.

I'm getting tired of winning.

And...

While I appreciate the John Deere fans... (I will never say a bad thing about them)  I honestly liked the Husqvarna better and was able to negotiate a better deal on it. I simply don't need a John Deere tractor... nor can I justify the expense.
I'm just mowing grass.
Not plowing snow, mowing fairways or sowing oats.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Well good.  When it is in the shop find a 20 yr old Jd 345 and try it out. It is like having a mower deck on a Ferrari.  They can be found for under $2k sometimes
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#21]
You did good. $2500 for a K66 equipped tractor is a good deal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Cub Cadets are box store specials like most everything else now days.
View Quote

This one is a "dealer only" model and has a K46 locking diff. It's a nice lawn tractor.  
XT2
video
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This one is a "dealer only" model and has a K46 locking diff. It's a nice lawn tractor.  
XT2
video
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

XT2
video
The K46 is absolute garbage. Anyone considering that needs to do some research. 
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The used Husqvarna I originally looked at had the K46 diff.

After talking to the guy that ultimately sold me a new one...  I learned that it had been traded in with a bad (k46) differential. They put a good used diff in it and put it out for sale.

That's primarily why I went with the bigger GT series with the K66 locking diff.  I especially like the fact that it's manually operated by a rocker switch in the dash.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is a 1970s JD 140 plowing.  Built from 1968 to 1974 with either 12 or 14 hp.

John Deere 140 Plowing with a Brinley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EItL7n6a-Og

You think yours will be able to pull a plow in the year 2060?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought the 42" husky with collector system, and had to replace the belt shortly after purchase, and I got a shit battery with it.  But as for the major things like the drive system, cutting, and engine, everything has held up admirably for the past two years.  And I have to admit I have hit more than a few rocks with it...it still cuts great.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

XT2
video

YOU tell ME what the best lawn tractor transaxke is in the sub $3,000.00 category. IIRC, you have to pay more than that to get one in a JD.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:40:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well good.  When it is in the shop find a 20 yr old Jd 345 and try it out. It is like having a mower deck on a Ferrari.  They can be found for under $2k sometimes
View Quote
"When it is in the shop". You won't live long enough to see it in the shop if you do basic maintenance, unlike a JD.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The used Husqvarna I originally looked at had the K46 diff.

After talking to the guy that ultimately sold me a new one...  I learned that it had been traded in with a bad (k46) differential. They put a good used diff in it and put it out for sale.

That's primarily why I went with the bigger GT series with the K66 locking diff.  I especially like the fact that it's manually operated by a rocker switch in the dash.
View Quote

FWIW, the key to keeping those "non serviceable" differentials like the K46 alive is to service them. The oil can and should be changed every few years, even though it's kind of a PITA. Good luck with your new mower.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Here is a 1970s JD 140 plowing.  Built from 1968 to 1974 with either 12 or 14 hp.

You think yours will be able to pull a plow in the year 2060?
View Quote

Jesus Effing Christ!! Are you a John Deere dealer? Give it a rest.

You've made your point.The OP is happy with his purchase. It works just fine for his needs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I mow about 3/4 of an acre each week but I love my Simplicity. The striper which is part of the "floating deck" is a big plus. I have a 2013 model and haven't had a single problem with it yet. About to drive her out of the shed to do some preventive maintenance to get her ready for mowing season .
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

FWIW, the key to keeping those "non serviceable" differentials like the K46 alive is to service them. The oil can and should be changed every few years, even though it's kind of a PITA. Good luck with your new mower.
View Quote

Thanks !

This is my first brand new lawn tractor so I will certainly be diligent with the maintenance.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#34]
An interesting side note...

After farting around with this thing a bit yesterday... (and peeling off all the stupid legal/dummy stickers) I noticed the front tires had a toe-in alignment issue and the steerig wheel was not perfectly straight.
Not horrible toe-in but enough that long term may have caused tire wear issues.

After googling the subject I found that toe alignment problems are fairly common for whatever reason.

Being OCD that I am...  I pulled the (non-adjustable) drag links off last night and took them with me to work.

I chopped a 3/4" section out of them and replaced it with a grade 8 stud... making them "adjustable" drag links.

Steering wheel is now straight and toe is dead-on.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#35]
And I DID own a John Deere once...  but it was no better than any other "box store" lawn tractor.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Congrats.  Looks like a nice machine at a great price.  Let the haters hate.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

After farting around with this thing a bit yesterday... (and peeling off all the stupid legal/dummy stickers) I noticed the front tires had a toe-in alignment issue and the steerig wheel was not perfectly straight.

After googling the subject I found that toe alignment problems are fairly common for whatever reason.

Being OCD that I am...  I pulled the (non-adjustable) drag links off last night and took them with me to work.

I chopped a 3/4" section out of them and replaced it with a grade 8 stud... making them "adjustable" drag links.

View Quote

Supposedly, a slight amount of toe-in will help the steering wheels return to center after turning a corner.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/IMG-0245-156829.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/IMG-0250-156830.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/IMG-0251-156831.JPG
View Quote

They now make aftermarket adjustable ones.

Rotary part number 15271LH and 15722RH.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Supposedly, a slight amount of toe-in will help the steering wheels return to center after turning a corner.
View Quote

It was more than "slight".  It was enough that I felt justified in correcting it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They now make aftermarket adjustable ones.

Rotary part number 15271LH and 15722RH.
View Quote

If I have any trouble with my mods I will look at a set of these.
For now the fix took me 30 minutes and was free.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Latest upgrade was a set of 1156 LED's from Amazon for $14.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018LOLIJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=vglnk-c102-20

If any of you guys run your tractors at night/dusk... you may want to consider a set of these.

Fucking amazing is all I can say.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Glad you like the new mower!  LED lights are where it's at!  Might put some on our new mower.  It's not Husky but it is orange 
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm looking at possibly getting a Kubota BX1870 in the next few months. Any of you mower gurus have any input on those?  Looking for something that's going to last me a long while.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm looking at possibly getting a Kubota BX1870 in the next few months. Any of you mower gurus have any input on those?  Looking for something that's going to last me a long while.
View Quote

The BX series are good machines.  What all are you wanting to do with it? 
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kubota just released the BX 80 series which has quite a few improvements over the -70.  Might be worth waiting a bit and seeing if that is the route you want to go.  Should be shipping to dealers here soon.  If you don't need those features you should be able to get a better price on a -70 since they are not the latest and greatest now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Just bought a new Husqvarna too and it is on route.  It's interesting to read about problems people have had with their tractors, but I've found no such complaints online with these:

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/robotic-lawn-mowers/
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top