Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]
On a skewer with a slice of orange, in my whisky sour.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I only like the ones made by Luxardo. 

The unnaturally bright red ones are nasty.
View Quote
I think I've only had the bright red ones & I like those.  I need to give the top-of-the-line ones a shot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Not really, they're edible, but I'd never ask for them. I might even ask to have it without. I wouldn't miss them at all if they disappeared.

Fresh cherries on the other hand are good.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can't make a Manhattan without one.
View Quote

Only reason I have a jar of them in the fridge (and a bottle of bitters in the cabinet).  

Although I do think someone's been sneaking some for ice cream sundaes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1) Pour out juice
2) Fill with grain alcohol
3) Sit on shelf for a year or so.

Then, yes.
View Quote
Was just going to say this.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.  I drink a lot of them during the winter.

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, sulfur dioxide; yummy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I do,what about you @Kubota3430 ?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh hell YES
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Love them in ice cream.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gluten free magazine will no longer advertise for Maraschino cherries because they have too much sugar in them. Whole Foods told gluten free they would not have the magazine in the store unless they dropped Maraschinos, so they dropped them.
View Quote
Gluten free magazine?

I have Celiac and have never heard of it.  I wonder if the glue used to bind the pages is gluten free...in case I get hungry?

Cause the magazine may be more tasty than some of the gluten free "food" I have had to choke down.

Anyhoo, how many jokes at the conference about pits?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
The cigar bar I hang out at uses something much more awesome but I don't know what they are called. Much darker and super intense cherry flavor.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Great topping for a pear salad
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They are not made with formaldehyde either.

They bleach the color out of a cherry, add syrup and color, walla, Maraschino.
View Quote
Walla is half of a town name in Washington.

Voila

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Walla is half of a town name in Washington.

Voila

View Quote
Gotcha, been to walla walls the town so nice they named it twice several times.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gluten free magazine?

I have Celiac and have never heard of it.  I wonder if the glue used to bind the pages is gluten free...in case I get hungry?

Cause the magazine may be more tasty than some of the gluten free "food" I have had to choke down.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gluten free magazine will no longer advertise for Maraschino cherries because they have too much sugar in them. Whole Foods told gluten free they would not have the magazine in the store unless they dropped Maraschinos, so they dropped them.
Gluten free magazine?

No jokes it was a pretty serious meeting.

We have a bunch of guys who grow brine cherries bitching because they don't think they are getting their money's worth out of the $.00275/lb they pay for promotion.  The thing they don't realize is that they should be paying more for promotion so that they can make more for their product. If .00275 is the difference between making it and selling the farm, you need to start getting job apps for the local McDonald's.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#20]
only when you drain all the juice out of the jar and replace it with a liter of SOCO and let that shit cook for a month.... 

nomnomnomnom
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Giving this a morning bump because I would like a few more votes in the poll. Some of my grower friends are interested too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#22]
My retarded phone selected yes instead of no 

I love regular cherries. I'll take maraschinos in a drink, but I don't even like them in chocolates otherwise. Way too artificial tasting. Look into how they're made. 
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My retarded phone selected yes instead of no 

I love regular cherries. I'll take maraschinos in a drink, but I don't even like them in chocolates otherwise. Way too artificial tasting. Look into how they're made. 
View Quote
Yeah, I grow a few brine cherries and sell others that for some reason can't be sold fresh for brine from time to time, I know how they are made.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i liked marty maraschino...
View Quote
Dinah Manoff, right?  
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The cigar bar I hang out at uses something much more awesome but I don't know what they are called. Much darker and super intense cherry flavor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably Luxardo Marasca cherries.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Giving this a morning bump because I would like a few more votes in the poll. Some of my grower friends are interested too.
View Quote
Make them properly (i.e.like Luxardo, Toschi, Fabbri, etc).

Luxardo Amarascata cherry jam is insane (400 grams of cherries to make 300 grams of jam.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't forget the part about letting them sit in big wood boxes rotting for months. Briefly lived across from a plant that made them once. I'll never ever as long as I live forget that disgusting smell
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Don't forget the part about letting them sit in big wood boxes rotting for months. Briefly lived across from a plant that made them once. I'll never ever as long as I live forget that disgusting smell
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah the brine plant in town where I live can stink pretty good sometimes.

The bins are lined with plastic if that makes you feel any better.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
What he said.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I use them for drinks, in baking, and the occasional ice cream sundae.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Are they still coloring them with FD&C Red dye? That shit is a known carcinogen.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Are they still coloring them with FD&C Red dye? That shit is a known carcinogen.
View Quote
Not sure, I will ask today.  I imagine they don't, if your worried I know Oregon Cherry Growers does a "natural" without colorinorbred coloring at least.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I only like the ones made by Luxardo. 

The unnaturally bright red ones are nasty.
View Quote
This is the only way to go in an old fashioned
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Used to, but they're too sweet for my taste now. LOL, my mom used to holler at me for eating them all. "THOSE ARE FOR BAKED GOODS!!!"  
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I love Maraschino cherries!  Can't stand fresh ones.

I'll buy a big jar this weekend OP.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#38]
gross.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#39]
I prefer Luxardo maraschinos, or griottines.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, that's it.

I just read up on them and I guess they are the real marashino cherry that those neon colored things want to be.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not sure, I will ask today.  I imagine they don't, if your worried I know Oregon Cherry Growers does a "natural" without colorinorbred coloring at least.
View Quote
@templarknight

Talked to my field woman and yes they do still use the red coloring but they do have a "natural" line like I mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I love Maraschino cherries!  Can't stand fresh ones.

I'll buy a big jar this weekend OP.
View Quote
Thanks man, every buyer helps.

Buy a butt ton ad fresh cherries this year too
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes, but I only use them in baking cookies.  They are perfect for making the centers for "flowers".
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We have a bunch of guys who grow brine cherries bitching because they don't think they are getting their money's worth out of the $.00275/lb they pay for promotion.  The thing they don't realize is that they should be paying more for promotion so that they can make more for their product. If .00275 is the difference between making it and selling the farm, you need to start getting job apps for the local McDonald's.
View Quote
Just went through the same shit with the HBBP last year. The growers had a solid point on 6 cents a ton being paid by the processors and handlers, and little real return.
The promotion boards push promotion in the food prep sector, where only several thousand see it, and the Millions of consumers do not, simply because the food service sector is a small target with a large footprint. It seems efficient, but in fact, isn't.

The other big bitch is the retailers should be the ones targeted, as their margins are the absolute highest, and they are the largest exposure point, yet the promotion boards ignore them because they all hire and retain people from within the food service sector. It's an inbred cycle.

Doubling the promotion fees on growers and second handlers, just results in more promotion where it isn't working.

If a good look is taken at where the promotion boards spent the $$$ the last several years, it's obvious. Not just with Blueberries, but with just about every high value specialty fruit crop.
It's old school thinking, typical Govt. graft and payola, and not working anymore.

The promotion boards need to be gutted, and revamped IMO. The amount paid in, isn't the problem.
But good luck getting the votes from the industry that benefits the most, in the middle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just went through the same shit with the HBBP last year. The growers had a solid point on 6 cents a ton being paid by the processors and handlers, and little real return.
The promotion boards push promotion in the food prep sector, where only several thousand see it, and the Millions of consumers do not, simply because the food service sector is a small target with a large footprint. It seems efficient, but in fact, isn't.

The other big bitch is the retailers should be the ones targeted, as their margins are the absolute highest, and they are the largest exposure point, yet the promotion boards ignore them because they all hire and retain people from within the food service sector. It's an inbred cycle.

Doubling the promotion fees on growers and second handlers, just results in more promotion where it isn't working.

If a good look is taken at where the promotion boards spent the $ the last several years, it's obvious. Not just with Blueberries, but with just about every high value specialty fruit crop.
It's old school thinking, typical Govt. graft and payola, and not working anymore.

The promotion boards need to be gutted, and revamped IMO. The amount paid in, isn't the problem.
But good luck getting the votes from the industry that benefits the most, in the middle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a good look is taken at where the promotion boards spent the $ the last several years, it's obvious. Not just with Blueberries, but with just about every high value specialty fruit crop.

@S-28

Total Oregon contribution to NCGIF is like ~$50k a year. For that they get magazine, newspaper, spots next to bourbon in grocery and liquor stores, and multiple other exposure. It's pretty cheap compared to what we pay for promotion on the fresh side.

In my opinion it's just a play to start chipping away at the brine assessment. If they can get the $5.50 a ton gone for marketing they can then argue that they shouldn't pay for research.  If they don't pay for marketing no big loss to the Oregon grower and Briner because Washington and Michigan will still pay for promotion and we will benefit for free.  Same goes for research, maybe they don't benefit from rootstocks and variety research that much but I didn't hear any of them bitching about having solutions for SWD.

My other bitch is that briners and wearhouses don't necessarily have to pay assessments. The grower typically shoulders the expense of marketing and research. The processors and handlers benefit from this equally as much as the grower. Would be nice if they had some skin in the game, or more skin at least.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#46]
You have to have them to make this.

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah the brine plant in town where I live can stink pretty good sometimes.

The bins are lined with plastic if that makes you feel any better.
View Quote
Yeah we used to climb them and even hide from the cops in between the stacks of them when we were younger
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:54:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@S-28

Total Oregon contribution to NCGIF is like ~$50k a year. For that they get magazine, newspaper, spots next to bourbon in grocery and liquor stores, and multiple other exposure. It's pretty cheap compared to what we pay for promotion on the fresh side.

In my opinion it's just a play to start chipping away at the brine assessment. If they can get the $5.50 a ton gone for marketing they can then argue that they shouldn't pay for research.  If they don't pay for marketing no big loss to the Oregon grower and Briner because Washington and Michigan will still pay for promotion and we will benefit for free.  Same goes for research, maybe they don't benefit from rootstocks and variety research that much but I didn't hear any of them bitching about having solutions for SWD.

My other bitch is that briners and wearhouses don't necessarily have to pay assessments. The grower typically shoulders the expense of marketing and research. The processors and handlers benefit from this equally as much as the grower. Would be nice if they had some skin in the game, or more skin at least.
View Quote
No worries...Folks here have no issue with Oregon producers.
Mexifofornia Cunts,and the fuckstains of Washington are another matter.

Mexifornia profiting from the SWD they sent outward, is a real issue.
Motherfuckers would rate a Nuke if they were a foreign Nation.

You guys being fucked by second handlers, is just more of the same issue.

The Middle guys and retailers are getting Fat, while we look stupid for investing in a lost cause.

The Promotion boards are self serving.
Do yourself a favor, and attend a promotion event.
Just be ready for the dry heaves..and a protection order issued if you make waves.

There are 3-4 big players in the larger market.
They could give a shit about us peons.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:21:25 AM EDT
[#49]
I really liked the cute girl in college that would tie knots in the stems.  Oh to be young and stupid.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:46:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
can't stand those things.

I'd much prefer a fresh cherry...
View Quote
^^^
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top