Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2017 1:44:36 PM EDT
Does anyone on GD own a Sleep Number bed?

Was it worth the price of entry?

Just got back from the store, looking at the new i7 or i10. I just want good sleep.

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I laid on a few in their store and was totally unimpressed. Glorified air mattresses in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I laid on a few in their store and was totally unimpressed. Glorified air mattresses in my opinion.
View Quote
On that note, what mattress out there will let me sleep all night without tossing and turning from back stiffness, won't break the bank and won't sink in after ~3 years?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought they were pretty comfortable, although I'm going to have to wait for the newest models to arrive at the store.

I have awful insomnia and am trying to not rely on sleep medication. I've been doing other things to help with it, but am needing a new mattress so I started looking at these.

The newest ones auto adjust throughout the night, which is good for me as I sleep on all sides.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one now and am waiting for them to deliver my SERTA i comfort , it is memory foam and cooling gel. and a whole lot nicer then the tempupedic ones

the sleep number sucks and i only got it because it had a large discount on it
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

On that note, what mattress out there will let me sleep all night without tossing and turning from back stiffness, won't break the bank and won't sink in after ~3 years?
View Quote
Simmons Beautyrest Hybrid
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have one now and am waiting for them to deliver my SERTA i comfort , it is memory foam and cooling gel. and a whole lot nicer then the tempupedic ones

View Quote

Which model did you have?

Also looking at the iComfort, with adjustable base.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
IDK what to say, we've got one and I have to run it at 100% or my back is sore in the AM. I want to scream when they have a Chiropractic Dr.  tell us how good the Sleep Number system is for people with bad backs. I have never seen a set of instructions. I guess it is good that I can pump it all the way up so the mattress never goes soft on me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned one for the past 8 years.  I bought a Full, single chamber when I was still single it honestly was the best bed I've ever owned.  

Once married, 2 people on a Full sized bed, let alone it being a single air chamber sucked.  We wanted a king and it was slightly out of our price range.  We ended up buying a Loom & Leaf cooling gel foam bed and its decent, espessially for the price $1399 for a 120 night trial and 15yr warranty, but the lack of adjustability leaves me missing that aspect of my sleep number.

The SN Bed is still going strong in the guest bedroom though.  

TL/DR, It was worth the price for me, and I would do it again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
We bought a used sleep number bed about 6y ago. Not worth the retail price, but I like it quite a bit better than the $1k Sealy pillow top job we had before. I like it because we can adjust sides to different firmness. Otherwise, I'd always sleep on whatever bed she likes.

Ours is no frills, basic model that doesn't have adjustable headrest, just the dual air mattress.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#10]
We've had a one since '99 or so.
It took awhile for me to find the right setting, because I thought that having a bad back meant needing a harder mattress.
Once I found out that 45 works, it's been great.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to have a lot of upper back pain bought the sleep number and it all went away. I keep mine around 55/60 but sometimes drop it to 45 depending how I feel. My wife sleeps at about 30. So there I'm up higher then her and I sometimes roll down the hill at night

Worth every penny to me I love it it's about 5 years old
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a passing thought.  You might want to try taking Magnesium supplements.  Available over the counter and cheap at Wal-Mart.  Mayo Clinic says 80% of population is deficient and is an essential mineral used in over 300 chemical reactions in your body.

It has helped me, your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
We had one for a couple of years. Fucking air mattress pile of shit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Also, the new ones have feet warmers, which is dank as fuck. It will also connect to your nest thermostat.

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i forget what sleep number one it is, but i got the Blue Max 1000 in cali king
i spent most of a afternoon trying out beds and when i laid down on this one i could of passed out right away, it took away my back pain and supported me.
the sales lady had me and the wife lay in a number of different positions and all were comfortable in the bed.

its $$$$$ but worth it for a good nights sleep and not to wake up in pain like the sleep number makes me
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#16]
We have an iLE, which is basically an i8 on a standard base. Overall we love the mattress.
Only complaint is that it does get hot sometimes. I'm a hot sleeper in general though. We purchased a In-Balance layer which does help some.

Would purchase again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Google pics of the mold that grows inside.

Almost bought one.  Glad I didn't
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#18]
We bought a king size demo unit with two chambers at a pretty good discount, Really like it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I had on it was one of my worst purchases ever I hated that bed. I have a memory foam bed now and love it!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought the cheapest one they make based on Consumer Reports' recommendation.  Before that I had a variety of high-end mattresses.

Have had the Sleep Number for about two years.  My back pain disappeared after about two weeks and has been gone since.  To say I'm happy would be a massive understatement.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Own an i8 with adjustable base. Best sleep I've ever had in my life. I've had it almost 2 years and it's still amazing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Very useful if you and your spouse have very different ideas about mattress firmness.  I had one for years.  Now I have Temperpedic.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Rip-off.  Worse bargain than a Dyson vacuum.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I was able to use a SC matters to determine what kind of mattress I needed.  My back likes very firm but I sleep best on soft.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I remember when GD loved the Dyson.  That's why I bought one.  So far I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#27]
we almost got one, king size, read all the reviews until i laid down on it...
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What do you sleep on?

Quoted:
i have a i7 i think, i wanted a firm mattress for bad back, wife wanted soft mattress.    We both are happy with it (2 years in).    But it makes it hard to sleep in hotels, i lay awake all night,  Then go home and sleep like a baby.
Great to hear.

Quoted:
Own an i8 with adjustable base. Best sleep I've ever had in my life. I've had it almost 2 years and it's still amazing.
Is the adjustable base worth the added cost?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#29]
The sleep number bases are all the same. We bought a 2 cell king size and ordered a memory foam/ gel topper from another source, can't remember who but saved a ton of money on it. I am happy with ours. We haven't had a mattress we agreed on unti we got the sleep number.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#30]
We have had out Sleep Number since 2004 or so.  Still going strong.  It has worked wonders for my back.  Ours is queen size.  My number is around 70.  My wife's is 35 to 45.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought one as a surprise for my wife after her second back surgery.  It's about 10 years old now and the model numbers were 3000, 5000, 6000,  7000 and 9000.  I bought the 7000.  It has 2 separate air chambers so we have different settings.  We both love it and would buy another one if we had to.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#32]
we put a foam topper on ours and it is my favorite bed we have ever owned.  $.02
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
We have Serta icomfort and really like it.  Memory foam.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#35]
We have an old one (much older, about 12 years now).  It's been a great bed, was pretty comfy until a couple years ago.  Then we finally got to the point where we want to replace it, but we're looking at things like Tempurpedic instead of a new SleepNumber.

Pros:
Adjustable
comfy
lasts longer than conventional mattresses that they recommend you replace every 7 years or so.

Cons:  
Needs electricity, it's an air mattress, they can start leaking (around the inlet hose), and you can't reinflate them when the power's out if they're leaking
Can't flip them, the padding on top either has to be replaced, or you supplement with new foam toppers or whatever
It's an expensive air mattress
not great for side sleepers at the lower settings (below 70, IMO, I keep mine at 90ish)
Might require deeper sheets, I don't know about the newer ones, but ours is a deep mattress, so we have to look for extra deep sheet sets
Can't flip them over, so the top will get crusted in your nasty body funk over time, and there's no way to flip it over to even it out over the life of the mattress.

I might consider buying again, maybe, but I've stayed in a LOT of hotels for work over the last several years and I've grown to really love a good, comfy traditional like the Westin Heavenly Bed, the Serta from Hiltons or the one that Marriott uses in their higher end hotels.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I hate mine. Lots of software glitches including randomly pressure change and it's not very uniform support unless put on very firm levels.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#37]
We absolutely love ours. We bought a P5, and it is everything they hype them to be. It's awesome to be able to adjust the firmness depending on how you feel.  I don't sleep worth a shit on anything else now.

My parents have a Cal King model that is even sweeter. Both the top and bottom are adjustable. That one was super expensive at around 8 grand, but it would probably make you breakfast if you asked it nicely.

You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#38]
No poll?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#39]
We love ours.  Almost 8 years now.  We have had to replace one of the chambers twice (after moving both times) and it was shipped and at our door w/in 48 hours of calling them.  I sleep soft and the wife sleeps hard so it works well for us.  The biggest problem is when she want me to slide in behind her in the mornings.  I have to get the remote out and air up my side to be at the same level she is.  Screwing up hill is hard.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I have had one for 8 years.  It is great.  Wife's a 45 (back sleeper), I'm a 70 (side sleeper).  We meet at 60 for romance.  We have the Calf. King one like a hospital bed where you can raise the head and/or knees.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We have an old one (much older, about 12 years now).  It's been a great bed, was pretty comfy until a couple years ago.  Then we finally got to the point where we want to replace it, but we're looking at things like Tempurpedic instead of a new SleepNumber.

Pros:
Adjustable
comfy
lasts longer than conventional mattresses that they recommend you replace every 7 years or so.

Cons:  
Needs electricity, it's an air mattress, they can start leaking (around the inlet hose), and you can't reinflate them when the power's out if they're leaking
Can't flip them, the padding on top either has to be replaced, or you supplement with new foam toppers or whatever
not great for side sleepers at the lower settings (below 70, IMO, I keep mine at 90ish)
Might require deeper sheets, I don't know about the newer ones, but ours is a deep mattress, so we have to look for extra deep sheet sets
Can't flip them over, so the top will get crusted in your nasty body funk over time, and there's no way to flip it over to even it out over the life of the mattress.

I might consider buying again, maybe, but I've stayed in a LOT of hotels for work over the last several years and I've grown to really love a good, comfy traditional like the Westin Heavenly Bed, the Serta from Hiltons or the one that Marriott uses in their higher end hotels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pros:
Adjustable
comfy

Cons:  

Seems like a lot of the modern beds are incapable of being "flipped", largely due to internal design.

Still need to go to a couple of stores to check out the Tempur/Serta offerings, though.
Quoted:
We absolutely love ours. We bought a P5, and it is everything they hype them to be. It's awesome to be able to adjust the firmness depending on how you feel.  I don't sleep worth a shit on anything else now.

My parents have a Cal King model that is even sweeter. Both the top and bottom are adjustable. That one was super expensive at around 8 grand, but it would probably make you breakfast if you asked it nicely.

You won't be disappointed.
No matter which mattress I go with, currently debating whether to go King or step up to Catalonia King. I do enjoy the thought of my feet never hanging off the bed again.

Looks like if I go Sleep Number, full price is going to be around $9-10K. Specials and discounts can knock that down a couple grand though.

Quoted:
We love ours.  Almost 8 years now.  We have had to replace one of the chambers twice (after moving both times) and it was shipped and at our door w/in 48 hours of calling them.  I sleep soft and the wife sleeps hard so it works well for us.  The biggest problem is when she want me to slide in behind her in the mornings.  I have to get the remote out and air up my side to be at the same level she is.  Screwing up hill is hard.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What do you sleep on?
View Quote
A king size mattress I bought at Sam's club.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Doesn't Ozzie's go to 11?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#44]
We bought the temper memory foam one a few years ago and its hot as fuck. I'm like a nuclear generator for heat so I wake up sweating all the time , but it's awesome for sore points on my hip and back. After three years though Im noticing some sag in the middle and I tend to wake up with a back ache of I sleep on my stomach.

Oh and the foam sucks for sex
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Mrs. Rabinowitz likes ours.

That is all that matters.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought a generic off Amazon.  I added 2 more inches of memory foam.  I love it.  My parents bought one also.  Save half on line.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought a clone for much cheaper than the name brand and it's the best for me.  With degenerative disc disease in two discs and two others that are herniated, finding a bed which allows me to walk in the morning is of critical importance and this one does it.  I improved mine with a 3" latex foam topper and it's perfect for me at a sleep number of 80.  I wake up in the same position that I went to sleep in and enjoy deep restful sleep, though old age insomnia usually means that I wake at least twice during the night but I'm usually back to sleep in 30 minutes or less.  Tried a memory foam topper and it sucked big time - hated waking up in a custom molded, hot ditch.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
im sure technology has gotten better
but about 8 years ago we stayed at bed and breakfast house and they had a sleep number bed they just raved about that we would fall in love with it

it had a very air mattress feel to it
looks like new ones have more of a mattress on top
one I slept on felt like you were laying right on the air bladder

personally I have a memory foam bed
its a cheaper one and the guy selling them told me right up front
this one in the store has had time to breath and break in
when you get this one home, your first 3 nights wont be that great... in fact   your first night is going to suck lol
he was 100% right... it sucked the first night I was miserable
but now I love it
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Also, the new ones have feet warmers, which is dank as fuck. It will also connect to your nest thermostat.
View Quote
heated feet sounds like a nightmare  
I want my feet uncovered and ice cold
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
heated feet sounds like a nightmare  
I want my feet uncovered and ice cold
View Quote
What planet are you from?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top