Don Knotts is the Man!

Loved all his movies.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Andy and Barney did more to destroy the respect for American LEO's than anyone else. The cop who didn't need a gun was a genius loved by all, the cop with a gun was an idiot and a menace. 
View Quote
Like a fucking anchor around the neck.

Can't go five minutes without a comparison.

It's either, andy didn't need a gun (flat out lie - every time he headed into the shit he strapped up) or hey barney.

Love the show, hate that character
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mr. Knotts was a staple of my youth.

Atta' boy Luther !
View Quote
I had an NCO in my unit (He's CWO 2 now) that would call out "Atta' Boy Luther!" at every Award/Change Of Command ceremony
our Batt' had.
I'm not sure how many "got" the reference but it made me laugh every time every time he did it.

One of the best things about DK's 1960's movies were the Vic Mizzy scores
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don Knotts was the only reason the Andy Griffith Show did so well.  It was worthless after he left. 
https://68.media.tumblr.com/e8b7277e58edd0b243ce1c82eec08512/tumblr_nbwnexbXYV1tn0fi8o3_400.gif
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Andy and Barney did more to destroy the respect for American LEO's than anyone else. The cop who didn't need a gun was a genius loved by all, the cop with a gun was an idiot and a menace. 
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I know and have known a few sheriff's that never felt the need to carry a sidearm.  One of them was the sheriff of a very large L/E agency that encompasses the metro area of New Orleans called Jefferson Parish  (county)  with a population of over 440,000. . His name was Harry Lee and was always voted back in year after year prior to his passing after Katrina.  Harry was an avid hunter and was well respected around the country and his agency was always looked up to.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where the fuck did you get that from? Andy put on a gun belt every single time they faced villains he considered dangerous. The office had a rifle rack, and there are plenty of episodes where Andy is pulling one down.

Ever heard of the Keystone Cops? Ever watched Doc Martin on PBS? Pink Panther ring any bells? Bumbling police officers are a comedic staple, not a liberal plot to undermine law enforcement. Lighten up for Christ's sake.

There was a thread on Barney a couple of months (years?) or so ago. Don't think he ever asked for bullets, it became a LEO tradition to give him a single when you met the man in person. If I recall correctly, he treasured every one, and had shelving built in his office where he proudly displayed the thousands of rounds he was presented with over the years. Respect for the character who always tried to do the right thing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#9]
In the first season of the Andy Griffith Show the character of Barny was not just the deputy but also Andy's cousin.  They never mentioned it again in the following episodes and it was written out of the story line. The actor that played Sheriff Roscoe P. Coletrain in the Dukes of Hazzard was the local guitar player that made good with the traveling band that rolled into town and later returned to Mayberry broke and fired from the band in another episode.  Lot's of great actors played visiting roles in the show. The actress that played Aunt Bea was said to always be in a foul mood and wasn't well liked on the set.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
It was a just a TV show and of much of it was fiction, but the media does its best to confuse people between reality and fiction
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
He's from my hometown.
Met him a few times and he always seemed like a nice, humble person.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]
My Dad was Don Knott's phone guy. (as well as others)

It was well known that Barney Fife carried just one bullet for his gun and that was in his pocket. Everywhere Don Knotts went, guys who were LEOs would give him a bullet as a joke. He kept every one and had them displayed in a couple of cabinets at his house. He was very kind to my Dad. (As was most of 'old' Hollywood.)
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The thread about first movies seen got me thinking.  I saw Herbie the Love Bug there, but no Don Knotts.  His movies were a pretty regular occurrence for us.

Sure, everyone knows about Deputy Barney Fife, the model for modern LEOs everywhere.

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/mayberry/images/b/b5/Barney17.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110103184833

But do you know this guy? (The Reluctant Astronaut)

https://borgdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/the_reluctant_astronaut.jpg

or this one? (The Ghost and Mrs Chicken)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2w8GVuBpBQU/S-Ktgc2JVAI/AAAAAAAABZI/uWpsmGVLQ1U/s400/MrChicken.jpg
View Quote

Or The Incredible Mr. Limpet?

Yeah, my mom took us to all those movies when I was a little kid.

I was just in it for the popcorn and candy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Most of "Old Hollywood" had real class. Born in (or before) the depression era they came up as salaried actors that did the daily pulp grind 6AM to 6PM before there were any kind of commissions and profit sharing. Being in the Public eye there were often perks and privileges but you had to be wise with your earnings - and many died broke.

A friend of mine knew George Burns - talk about a class act. The man was known to invite in the UPS driver for a glass of ices tea on a hot day.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Its been don knotts Blvd for as long as i can remember.

He was born in morgantown, theres a statue too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't Morgantown, WV rename one of the major roads after him?
Its been don knotts Blvd for as long as i can remember.

He was born in morgantown, theres a statue too.
@jnk556

Back in the late 80s/early 90s it was Monaghala (sp) Blvd.  Wife just reminded me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Loved him when I was a child
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Private Eyes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don Knotts and Tim Conway were a genius comedic duo.
The Private Eyes
Beware the Wookalar.

Have the movie on DVD, one of my favorites with the Don and Tim.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Meh, I was born in 86, so they probably changed it before I was old enough to really care
View Quote
It used to be South University Ave, the city changed it to Don Knotts Blvd in 1998. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#20]
That explains it. I left (wished i hadn't) Motown in 97...
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:34:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope.  I'm all about some "Private Eyes"----I'm always on the lookout for a Wookalar!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#22]
If you haven't seen this movie, you need to. Hot Lead & Cold Feet is one of my favorites of the era, and family friendly to boot
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
And both were guests on Scooby Doo ...
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#24]
If I come across Ghost and Mr. Chicken I will not change the channel.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Terrific actor and also a quality human being.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#26]
How is there no Mr. Furley mention yet?

Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes he's a good guy personally...

... but you know Hollywood promoted him to portray conservatives as goofy weak beta-males right?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In the first season of the Andy Griffith Show the character of Barny was not just the deputy but also Andy's cousin.  They never mentioned it again in the following episodes and it was written out of the story line. The actor that played Sheriff Roscoe P. Coletrain in the Dukes of Hazzard was the local guitar player that made good with the traveling band that rolled into town and later returned to Mayberry broke and fired from the band in another episode.  Lot's of great actors played visiting roles in the show. The actress that played Aunt Bea was said to always be in a foul mood and wasn't well liked on the set.
View Quote
As I understand it, it was Andy Griffith people couldn't stand, especially Aunt Bea. He was a liberal douche back then too.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:04:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I met him at a bar at LAX airport once.  He was mortified that I requested a Martini garnished with a twist rather than an olive. 
View Quote
That's pretty fucking cool.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:23:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Don Knotts was the only reason the Andy Griffith Show did so well.  It was worthless after he left. 
https://68.media.tumblr.com/e8b7277e58edd0b243ce1c82eec08512/tumblr_nbwnexbXYV1tn0fi8o3_400.gif
View Quote
Growing up in the foothills of North Carolina, I saw every episode with him in it.  I've seen very few after.  

The only other thing I remember seeing him in was Cannonball Run II, Three's Company and No Time for Sergeants.  I recorded it a few weeks ago and need to try to get my kids to watch it this Friday night.

Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:29:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Like All in the Family, Mayberry RFD stands the test of time. A couple of shows I find myself laughing at when watching alone.
View Quote
WAT?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:17:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Barney is writing a song, doesn't know Andy is standing behind him
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:00:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Funny, I just watched a Biography about him on Youtube. He was quite the ladies man in real life. His ex wives were quite stunning! He was also a major hypochondriac. Known as a tireless worker.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/actor-don-knotts-with-his-wife-loralee-czuchna-attending-the-los-picture-id488983067?s=612x612
View Quote
well, he was known as "super honkie"
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1 love their movies.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#35]
He was great in "It's a mad mad mad world"
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
He was great in "It's a mad mad mad world"
View Quote
Yeah, he was but, for what, 20-25 seconds? LOL!

Phil silvers rocked in that movie!
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:32:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I like this one for lulz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpDmklLFXVc
View Quote
Well, that was pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lancelot white knighting, is the best white knighting.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:21:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:26:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Barney came back to town after leaving the show.
He had went to work for the State Police. They stuck him in the files.

He told Andy his section was R to U. That's where the big names are.
He as driving an Edsel. Said it was a 60 with a 61 grill.

I felt so sad for him. He ended up catching a bad guy in that episode.

Ed
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top