Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/21/2017 7:42:14 PM EDT
If you're driving on a city two lane road, and the lane to the side of you ends, with one of these signs,

who has the right of way, you or a car right next to you in the ending lane?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Guy on the left
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The car that is in the ending lane must merge. Merging vehicles yield to what's already in the lane they wish to go into.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The lane which is un interrupted has the right of way. Just like merging from an on ramp.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guy on the left
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Any different if the guy in the right lane is 3 feet ahead of the car in the left?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]
you shouldn't ask this type of question.  You need to take what's yours, defend it and or meet out retribution.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends upon which lane I'm in. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Weird sign.  Neither lane ends, one of them just shifts a little.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Whoever has the larger vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The car that is in the ending lane must merge. Merging vehicles yield to what's already in the lane they wish to go into.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I see some results on google saying car on the left has to yield unless the sign looks like this

in which case the right has to yield.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#12]
The bro with the biggest brodozer..

Duh..
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, I've never understood why they use that symbology to signal a lane is ending.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Theoretically, the driver on the left.  In practice, the driver with the most beat up vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
OP stay off the road...
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
you shouldn't ask this type of question.  You need to take what's yours, defend it and or meet out retribution.
View Quote
I did and then had a road rager race around me to get in front stop the car/open his door. Then followed me for a bit when I didn't play.

I always assumed the lane that was ending had to yield so came home to search it, then saw results about that dashed line sign and had doubts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Show the actual merger from Google maps.  You can wipe street names to avoid location concerns.

I say this because the signage you posted may be poor, and observation of the actual roadway design is what insurance companies use to identify fault.

Also, there are a few state and private road designers who have managed to design intersections where both lanes equally merge into one lane and whichever car has any % of there car forward of the other has the right of way.  It's a poor design but they exist.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Show the actual merger from Google maps.  You can wipe street names to avoid location concerns.

I say this because the signage you posted may be poor, and observation of the actual roadway design is what insurance companies use to identify fault.

Also, there are a few state and private road designers who have managed to design intersections where both lanes equally merge into one lane and whichever car has any % of there car forward of the other has the right of way.  It's a poor design but they exist.
View Quote
not going to post a google map. it's a two lane town road, no lines on the road surface. One lane ends and the other continues.

Has the sign I show above with no dashes at the merge point. About two blocks earlier has a "right lane ends" sign.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#19]
People need to learn to zipper correctly. Left lane drivers should leave enough room to allow the guys on the right lane to merge. But if the guys on the left want to be dicks they can get really close to the car in front of them and not allow anyone to merge. Also the guys in the right lane should merge as soon as possible, not drive as far forward as possible and the try to merge at the last second. A lot of dicks do that as well, trying to cut in front of everyone in the left lane. If people are cool and merge correctly, then things keep moving nice and smoothly. When people are dicks it causes jams and halts everything.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Oncoming traffic does
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
People need to learn to zipper correctly. Left lane drivers should leave enough room to allow the guys on the right lane to merge. But if the guys on the left want to be dicks they can get really close to the car in front of them and not allow anyone to merge. Also the guys in the right lane should merge as soon as possible, not drive as far forward as possible and the try to merge at the last second. A lot of dicks do that as well, trying to cut in front of everyone in the left lane. If people are cool and merge correctly, then things keep moving nice and smoothly. When people are dicks is causes jams and halts everything.
View Quote
This was in town, not on the freeway. No traffic other than two cars driving side by side.

Avoiding conflict says let the other guy in, but I assumed I have the right of way when it's not my lane ending, so fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That sign means one lane ends.

It's the same sign used throughout the entire US, as far as I've seen.

It tells you which lane ends.

Quoted:

This was in town, not on the freeway. No traffic other than two cars driving side by side.

Avoiding conflict says let the other guy in, but I assumed I have the right of way when it's not my lane ending, so fuck that guy.
A pair of competent drivers should mean that there is no issue if one car is ahead of the other, regardless of which lane is ending.    If you're running side by side, then the vehicle that doesn't have right of way needs to drop back or speed up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#24]
absent a traffic control, the continuing vehicle is generally privileged and the maneuvering vehicle is generally burdened.  in this case, the vehicle remaining in his lane has the RoW, and the one changing lanes has to yield (not interfere with the RoW vehicle).
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Left lane, but use the zipper for courtesy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
and turn on your turn signal
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a poorly designed sign.  I still know what it means.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Whoever has the larger vehicle.
View Quote
And when similar size vehicles the one of least value wins
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Whoever has more lug nuts has the right-of-way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#30]
California Highway Patrol Lt. Michael Soubirous had answered that neither a driver on the freeway nor the driver merging onto the freeway has right-of-way and that both parties have to “work it out” so traffic merges seamlessly into a single lane.

Edit: not exactly the same, but I wouldn't be surprised if the California rules for surface streets (as well as Utah) are similar.  In practice- don't be the jerk in the left lane who asserts right of way when it runs counter to smooth, safe merges.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#31]
vehicle doesn't matter, biggest asshole always wins. my turn signal is a warning, not a question.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Guy on the left
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#33]
the vehicle that rolls the most coal, or so I've heard
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Guy on the left
View Quote
Not in NJ.

I got into this very same situation in 2008. I was on a road where the right lane ended; to my right was a dump truck his lane ended and the front of my truck was even with his door. I got sideswiped and his rear tire drove right up the side of my truck and down the hood.

I got a careless driving ticket because as the cop explained it if the car in the ending lane is ahead by at least one tire they have right of way and you have to yield even if you are not in the ending lane.

Ever since then I don't fuck with those ending lanes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I see some results on google saying car on the left has to yield unless the sign looks like this

http://i.imgur.com/BrRnBS7.png

in which case the right has to yield.
View Quote
This is correct. Right lane has to yield to the merging traffic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Literally every day on my way home from work. This excact scenario. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not in NJ.

I got into this very same situation in 2008. I was on a road where the right lane ended; to my right was a dump truck his lane ended and the front of my truck was even with his door. I got sideswiped and his rear tire drove right up the side of my truck and down the hood.

I got a careless driving ticket because as the cop explained it if the car in the ending lane is ahead by at least one tire they have right of way and you have to yield even if you are not in the ending lane.

View Quote
cop was tarded
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Whoever has more lug nuts has the right-of-way.
View Quote
David Desper probably thought the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I do.   Get the fuck out of my way.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
cop was tarded
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in NJ.

cop was tarded
That may be but I still don't mess with anything in the lane that ends.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not in NJ.

View Quote
Wrong.

The other driver failed, and should have been ticketed.  You got fucked, and now learned the INCORRECT procedure for that sign.

Anyone that doesn't know what those two signs mean, shouldn't be on the road.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why would two cars be driving side by side. They should have both been in the right lane unless someone was passing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Who has right of way?  The vehicle with more pre-existing dents.  

In theory, the merging traffic should yield to the other traffic, all other things being equal.  That said, a little courtesy goes a long ways.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Guy on the left. If the guy on the right is ahead that car should speed up or slow down to accommodate the left
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Whichever one is armed with a handgun has the right of way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Why would two cars be driving side by side. They should have both been in the right lane unless someone was passing.
View Quote
that rule doesn't apply on city streets. this wasn't a freeway.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I lived in an area previously where drivers believed the right lane had the right of way, with that very sign posted.

it was... frustrating. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
cop was tarded
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in NJ.

cop was tarded
No, the Cop was correct. Slow moving vehicle should never be in the left lane.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#49]
The guy with the dash cam that shows the other being a dick and speeding up to cut someone off.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

that rule doesn't apply on city streets. this wasn't a freeway.
View Quote
You just make that up yourself?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top